The RIP thread

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: The RIP thread

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:04 pm

RIP Paul Hornung.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:37 pm

RIP Kevin Greene, at just 58 years old ... one the best pure pass rushers ever.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:33 pm

I can't find a cause of death for Kevin Greene, not even a mention if it was due to natural causes. Seems a little strange, especially for him being so young.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:53 pm

Yeah they remarked on NFLN that no cause of death was given. It'll come out eventually, for now I just wish his family the best.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:14 am

I'm always sad to hear someone passing around Christmas. For the family this time of the year will always bring the reminder of who they lost.
For a guy who really had to work hard to make it to the NFL, Greene turned out to be one of the best of his generation. He was way too young
to leave his family and friends.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:51 am

Phil Niekro passed overnight at age 81.
The master of the Knuckleball. He was probably the first pitcher who I noticed threw it and as a kid I thought it was so cool.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:03 am

NorthHawk wrote:Phil Niekro passed overnight at age 81. The master of the Knuckleball. He was probably the first pitcher who I noticed threw it and as a kid I thought it was so cool.

Hoyt Wilhem was the first true knuckle ball pitcher I saw. Wilbur Wood was another pre-Niekro knuckler that sticks out in my memory. I guess that shows my age. :D

Sad news about Niekro. RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Dawn Wells, Mary Ann on "Gilligan's Island", has died of COVID. She was 82.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/dawn- ... d=msedgntp

I liked her better than Ginger as she wasn't the sultry, slinky dresses, big ear rings movie star. Kind of a girl next door type. Great looking legs, too.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:49 pm

RIP Dawn Wells. I honestly don't know a single guy who preferred Ginger....it was all Mary Ann, all the time. My former boss was a sorority sister of hers, too.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:31 am

The Ginger-Mary Ann debate has raged for decades, and you're right, the vast majority preferred Mary Ann. Part of it was that the mid to late 60's was a period of time when women began to show more leg, with mini skirts and hot pants being the fashion adapted by young women in their teens and 20's. Mary Ann seemed to have always bounced around in shorts (or at least that's how I remember her) while Ginger had on a slinky, ankle length dress that wasn't all that appealing, at least not to young boys like me, and was more like what women prior to that time were expected to wear. For example, Jackie Kennedy always wore dresses like what Ginger wore on Gilligan's Island.

It's sad to see some of my old icons pass away. It's one of the curses of old age, that you are forced to witness what was once your livelihood be plucked away one hair at a time.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:59 pm

The two characters of Ginger and Mary Anne were designed to be polar opposites like you observed, Ginger being the sophisticated wordly woman, and Mary Anne the innocent Girl Next Door. Maybe older men at the time might have preferred Ginger, but I never knew any guy that said so. Then again, I was pretty young then.
I-5
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:34 pm

Floyd Little died today. He was diagnosed with cancer in May.
Although he played for the Broncos I always thought he was a real good player. It turns out that he was
an even better person from what I’ve read.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:07 am

NorthHawk wrote:Floyd Little died today. He was diagnosed with cancer in May. Although he played for the Broncos I always thought he was a real good player. It turns out that he was an even better person from what I’ve read.

The Broncos had some horrible teams during Little's career so he flew under a lot of people's radar, but he was a very good running back and deserving of HOF inclusion.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:00 am

Former baseball great Tommy Lasorda has passed away at age 93.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... d=msedgntp

I was never a big Dodgers fan but one couldn't have helped but like Lasorda. Not only did he have a great baseball mind, he had a very sharp sense of humor with some memorable one liners and a sharp sense of humor.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:21 am

Too bad, he was a likeable Manager and had a gift for telling stories and create a good team.
RIP Tommy. Thanks for the fun you were a big part of.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:28 am

Ah, crap! Hank Aaron died. Another one of my childhood heros.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/base ... K-A10uQEk4

I can remember a Little League baseball coach trying to get me to break my wrists when hitting and to watch Hank Aaron, of whom he said was the best "wrist hitter" in the game, and that was before Aaron was seen as a threat to break Babe Ruth's record.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:24 am

RiverDog wrote:Ah, crap! Hank Aaron died. Another one of my childhood heros.

I can remember a Little League baseball coach trying to get me to break my wrists when hitting and to watch Hank Aaron, of whom he said was the best "wrist hitter" in the game, and that was before Aaron was seen as a threat to break Babe Ruth's record.

RIP.

Another one of the good guys that are now gone. I never thought of him as getting old, but I guess that's what happens with our heroes.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:36 am

RiverDog wrote:Ah, crap! Hank Aaron died. Another one of my childhood heros.

RIP.

NorthHawk wrote:Another one of the good guys that are now gone. I never thought of him as getting old, but I guess that's what happens with our heroes.

Yea, that's one of the curses of old age. You have to witness your childhood heros, friends, relatives, etc passing away. My mom mentioned that after her childhood hero, Joe DiMaggio, passed away.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:21 pm

Damn! RIP Hammerin' Hank.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:25 am

Rip Marty Schottenheimer. Condolences Brian.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:15 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Rip Marty Schottenheimer. Condolences Brian.

Ditto. By all accounts, Marty was a decent guy that was well respected by his players and fellow coaches. RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:23 am

After a long battle with Alzheimers disease. I don't think he got the respect he should have during his coaching career, but he had a pretty good record.
RIP, Marty. Thanks for the fun your teams provided.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:21 pm

RIP Chick Corea, one of my favorite Jazz musicians.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HawkDawg » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:06 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:RIP Chick Corea, one of my favorite Jazz musicians.

Agreed, the guy was a legend!
HawkDawg
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:45 am

Rush Limbaugh has passed away at age 70 from lung cancer.

Controversial to say the least, Limbaugh was a pioneer in talk radio, the first to take advantage of the demise of AM radio's being pushed out of the music format due to the superior sound quality of FM.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:11 pm

Sorry no.

I'll extend my sympathy to his family left behind but I hope he's tormented by all the evil he's helped to create as one of the pioneers of the politics of hate that has such a death grip on this country right now.

Good riddance.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:20 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Sorry no.

I'll extend my sympathy to his family left behind but I hope he's tormented by all the evil he's helped to create as one of the pioneers of the politics of hate that has such a death grip on this country right now.

Good riddance.

Gotta agree with, c-bob on this one. I watched Russ Limbaugh one time a long time ago. He was talking about welfare recipients and had video of monkeys taking bananas from a car. Then his camera panned to the one person of African descent sitting in his audience as though it was done to show he wasn't a racist.

But Rush Limbaugh was a racist, ridiculous radio commentator fueling the worst of America's prejudices and divides. I never watched him again after that. He helped spawned divisive political commentary for profit. He's been a net negative for America. I think he is likely a terrible person in real life to be able to push the rhetoric he does, much like Donald Trump. It's unfortunate so many people listen to people like him as he is part of that extreme right masquerading as intelligent political commentary.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:53 pm

I dont dance on a lot of graves and this won't be one either . I was drawn to Rush as a late 20s eastern washington redneck. He said a lot of things I liked, things that were true about the liberalization of america, the left wing bias in the MSM and so on. He was witty, funny, bombastic to be sure but a new perspective I hadn't heard. I was a fan for decades, through "america held hostage"( the Clinton years) to his incessant bashing of Obama for 8 years. Somewhere along that line he became too abrasive and shrill for me and I tuned in less and less. The clincher for me was his slavish devotion to and promotion of Trump the candidate over all others. He and Fox went off for the final time mid 2016. My disappointment in the end was his utter hypocrisy defending to the nth degree the actions of this evil man.

Still an iconic man, A pioneer in talk radio who spawned many careers of wanna bes in radio and on TV. I won't be the judge of the conversation he will have with the god Im sure he will see, already has. That's the son of man's job sitting at the right hand of the father.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I dont dance on a lot of graves and this won't be one either . I was drawn to Rush as a late 20s eastern washington redneck. He said a lot of things I liked, things that were true about the liberalization of america, the left wing bias in the MSM and so on. He was witty, funny, bombastic to be sure but a new perspective I hadn't heard. I was a fan for decades, through "america held hostage"( the Clinton years) to his incessant bashing of Obama for 8 years. Somewhere along that line he became too abrasive and shrill for me and I tuned in less and less. The clincher for me was his slavish devotion to and promotion of Trump the candidate over all others. He and Fox went off for the final time mid 2016. My disappointment in the end was his utter hypocrisy defending to the nth degree the actions of this evil man.

Still an iconic man, A pioneer in talk radio who spawned many careers of wanna bes in radio and on TV. I won't be the judge of the conversation he will have with the god Im sure he will see, already has. That's the son of man's job sitting at the right hand of the father.

How could you stomach listening to this guy's racist vitriol disguised as commentary? Man, he was a terrible human being.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:21 pm

I guess it’s a window into the way I thought for decades growing up in eastern Washington never seeing a black person in my town ever . I’m not proud . I feel I have been delivered from a cult . Better late than never . It took trump to strip away the mask of the far right cult
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:07 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I guess it’s a window into the way I thought for decades growing up in eastern Washington never seeing a black person in my town ever . I’m not proud . I feel I have been delivered from a cult . Better late than never . It took trump to strip away the mask of the far right cult

I'm glad you did. I do understand. My father told me the same thing growing up in Washington State. He said he hadn't met a person of African descent until he traveled outside of the state. I guess Washington State was very much filled with people of European ancestry for a long time.

Glad you escaped the Limbaugh type group and avoided Trump. Limbaugh was a shining example of some of America's worst tendencies given a voice on the radio to reinforce people's negative beliefs. Same as Trump was a president pushing the worst tendencies of Americans.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:29 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I guess it’s a window into the way I thought for decades growing up in eastern Washington never seeing a black person in my town ever . I’m not proud . I feel I have been delivered from a cult . Better late than never . It took trump to strip away the mask of the far right cult

Are you referring to Moses Lake? I lived there for 11 years, from 1978-1989 and worked with several blacks.

Although they've always been very small minority, blacks have lived in eastern Washington since at least the late 1800's. Pasco, in particular, as always had a significant black population, I guess due to railroad construction in the latter half of the 19th century. And in case anyone is under the impression that Jim Crow was limited to the south, there was a time up until the mid 1960s's when blacks from Pasco visiting Kennewick had to be back across the river by sundown or else they were subject to immediate arrest.

Sorry to divert the thread.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:46 pm

RiverDog wrote:Are you referring to Moses Lake? I lived there for 11 years, from 1978-1989 and worked with several blacks.

Although they've always been very small minority, blacks have lived in eastern Washington since at least the late 1800's. Pasco, in particular, as always had a significant black population, I guess due to railroad construction in the latter half of the 19th century. And in case anyone is under the impression that Jim Crow was limited to the south, there was a time up until the mid 1960s's when blacks from Pasco visiting Kennewick had to be back across the river by sundown or else they were subject to immediate arrest.

Sorry to divert the thread.

Because of laws like you listed, I hope someday no one is referring to another person by a color because some ass decided a long time ago defining people by skin color was a good idea. It wasn't. It was a terrible idea that has led to nothing good.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:45 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Because of laws like you listed, I hope someday no one is referring to another person by a color because some ass decided a long time ago defining people by skin color was a good idea. It wasn't. It was a terrible idea that has led to nothing good.

Not just defining by skin color, either.

One of the most overlooked biases that we have is accents. One of my best friends, a man I've known for over 25 years, is an immigrant from Romania, and one of the smartest men I've ever met. He has a very strong eastern European accent. He told me once that his accent makes him sound dumb to others, and when I thought about it, he was exactly right as I had made that same judgment. Someone speaks with an accent and our first impression is that the guy isn't very smart.

Once again, sorry for the diversion.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:58 pm

I lived in coulee city from 7 nth grade till graduation in 77. There were no blacks and only one Hispanic , no Asians . A town of white Protestant evangelical Christian leaders . It’s my understanding a black family moved to town and was treated to classic KKK style harrasment , crosses burned and nooses on the lawn in the early 70s in America . They left town soon after as the local cop had no interest in protecting them . I’m still not sure any blacks live in coulee city .

I grew up in church where leaders would drop the N word casually . I recall a Seahawks game at a church leaders house . Curt Warner went down with an ACL in the season opener and this upstanding man , millionaire wheat farmer said “ since he’s a n%%%%r he will probably be just fine.” This family still financially supports the Assembly of God Church in coulee city 40 years It wasn’t till I spent time working in Georgia I ever had interaction with blacks and it changed my perspective some . I still bought the cops are 99.9% good , don’t resist and you’re fine , racism doesn’t exist in America anymore , blah blah blah. As recently as 99 when we moved to Moses I was concerned about all the Hispanics as they were portrayed as criminals and gangsters in news I’d read . I’ve come to realize they are some of the finest people in the world, that good and evil are in every race . As I’ve said I had grown tired of Rush and his big mouth and really had quit listening much but it really did take Trump to let me see where my party was headed and it’s only gotten worse . Free at last .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:22 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I lived in coulee city from 7 nth grade till graduation in 77. There were no blacks and only one Hispanic , no Asians . A town of white Protestant evangelical Christian leaders . It’s my understanding a black family moved to town and was treated to classic KKK style harrasment , crosses burned and nooses on the lawn in the early 70s in America . They left town soon after as the local cop had no interest in protecting them . I’m still not sure any blacks live in coulee city .

I grew up in church where leaders would drop the N word casually . I recall a Seahawks game at a church leaders house . Curt Warner went down with an ACL in the season opener and this upstanding man , millionaire wheat farmer said “ since he’s a n%%%%r he will probably be just fine.” This family still financially supports the Assembly of God Church in coulee city 40 years It wasn’t till I spent time working in Georgia I ever had interaction with blacks and it changed my perspective some . I still bought the cops are 99.9% good , don’t resist and you’re fine , racism doesn’t exist in America anymore , blah blah blah. As recently as 99 when we moved to Moses I was concerned about all the Hispanics as they were portrayed as criminals and gangsters in news I’d read . I’ve come to realize they are some of the finest people in the world, that good and evil are in every race . As I’ve said I had grown tired of Rush and his big mouth and really had quit listening much but it really did take Trump to let me see where my party was headed and it’s only gotten worse . Free at last .

Ahh, Coulee City. The star of our basketball team when I was going to college at Eastern, a guy by the name of Ron Cox, was from Coulee City. One of my best college friends was from just up the road in Grand Coulee.

The city I grew up in, Walla Walla, was quite a bit different than the backwater towns like you are describing. I had black, Hispanic, and Asian classmates that I've remained friends with. In high school, there were several Japanese exchange students that graduated with us that I still maintain contact with. There were two colleges, too, so the demographics were quite a bit different than you would find in your home town.

My point is that not all towns in eastern Washington share the same cultural characteristics, then as they do and now.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:36 am

RiverDog wrote:
Ahh, Coulee City. The star of our basketball team when I was going to college at Eastern, a guy by the name of Ron Cox, was from Coulee City. One of my best college friends was from just up the road in Grand Coulee.

The city I grew up in, Walla Walla, was quite a bit different than the backwater towns like you are describing. I had black, Hispanic, and Asian classmates that I've remained friends with. In high school, there were several Japanese exchange students that graduated with us that I still maintain contact with. There were two colleges, too, so the demographics were quite a bit different than you would find in your home town.

My point is that not all towns in eastern Washington share the same cultural characteristics, then as they do and now.

Wow. You know Ronny, the legend. His scoring record at Eastern was only broken a couple of years ago. As you know when he went to Eastern he suddenly was playing guys taller than him for the first time. So he developed that baby hook that was indefensible.I saw him play in college a couple of times. He was Evergreen conference player of the week over ten times in his career. Somehow on a Coulee City roster with Chris Henderson who was an inch shorter but whose arms were so long he had more reach,so athletic at 6'6" he was a pro rodeo athlete calf roping and steer wrestling, the Evans brothers, especially Jimmy who played QB in high school and college and could shoot from 30 feet, man I could go on but we never won a state title with that team. Lost to Curlew in the championship on a half court heave in 1972 or 3.

Ron Cox was an all star in every sport, a baseball pitcher, a star football player all along the roster. He was offered a free agent contract by the Seahawks to play tight end but signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers, the only athlete from Coulee City ever to make the pros. He blew his knee in training camp and in those days that was a career death sentence. He spent the rest of his career as a high school basketball coach. I did have the dubious honor of having my cheekbone cracked by one of his massive elbows playing pickup basketball once. :lol: :lol: A great guy and one of the most solid muscle tall guys I ever saw.We are friends on FB.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:51 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Wow. You know Ronny, the legend. His scoring record at Eastern was only broken a couple of years ago. As you know when he went to Eastern he suddenly was playing guys taller than him for the first time. So he developed that baby hook that was indefensible.I saw him play in college a couple of times. He was Evergreen conference player of the week over ten times in his career. Somehow on a Coulee City roster with Chris Henderson who was an inch shorter but whose arms were so long he had more reach,so athletic at 6'6" he was a pro rodeo athlete calf roping and steer wrestling, the Evans brothers, especially Jimmy who played QB in high school and college and could shoot from 30 feet, man I could go on but we never won a state title with that team. Lost to Curlew in the championship on a half court heave in 1972 or 3.

Ron Cox was an all star in every sport, a baseball pitcher, a star football player all along the roster. He was offered a free agent contract by the Seahawks to play tight end but signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers, the only athlete from Coulee City ever to make the pros. He blew his knee in training camp and in those days that was a career death sentence. He spent the rest of his career as a high school basketball coach. I did have the dubious honor of having my cheekbone cracked by one of his massive elbows playing pickup basketball once. :lol: :lol: A great guy and one of the most solid muscle tall guys I ever saw.We are friends on FB.

Cox was in the same class as I was so I watched every home game of his career and several away games. He was one of the best small college players in the nation. I don't think he had a single game that he didn't have double/double stats, but I'm not sure how well he would have done at the major college/pro level. He played center his entire career at Eastern so he was used to playing with his back to the basket, but he was only 6'6" so he would have had to play as a power forward at the next level. He was a terrific rebounder, solid defender, shot over 50% from the field but had limited range on his jumpers, about 15-17 feet, in the days before the 3 point shot in CBB.

Cox had an older brother (Mel?), a little shorter than Ron, played basketball at Central and was an All-American small college player.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:05 am

Yes I was going to say . A couple inches shorter but thicker . He went to central I believe .it’s hard to say how Ron would have done as a pro. I would not have bet against him
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:25 am

Marvelous Marvin Hagler has died. He was only 66.
I remember some great fights with Roberto Duran and others.
RIP, Marvin.
NorthHawk
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic