The RIP thread

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: The RIP thread

Postby yoder » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:26 pm

Surprised nobody has brought this up. Pat O'Day! He was Seattle, back when the city was the city I once knew. He brought Jimi, he brought radio, he brought the best hydro coverage you've ever heard. He was a staple. R.I.P. Pat, thank you for the memories I've had since childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdhtnMnkOQU
yoder
Site Admin

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:25 am

yoder wrote:Surprised nobody has brought this up. Pat O'Day! He was Seattle, back when the city was the city I once knew. He brought Jimi, he brought radio, he brought the best hydro coverage you've ever heard. He was a staple. R.I.P. Pat, thank you for the memories I've had since childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdhtnMnkOQU

Oh man I used to be such a hydroplane races fan! especially in the 60's when my uncle would take me to the Gold Cup every year and into the 70's when I started making it a party thing with my friends! They kinda lost me a bit with the Turbine engines, I just loved the sound of those Allison and RR 12 cylinders!

RIP Pat!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby yoder » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:38 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Oh man I used to be such a hydroplane races fan! especially in the 60's when my uncle would take me to the Gold Cup every year and into the 70's when I started making it a party thing with my friends! They kinda lost me a bit with the Turbine engines, I just loved the sound of those Allison and RR 12 cylinders!

RIP Pat!

Yea, I really miss those days. My Dad was always heavily involved in Seafair, on the board of the Hydro Museum, he was even a clown. Heck, even I was at 3 years old - youngest clown in Seafair history, that's my big claim to fame. :lol:

Anyway, we'd usually get a pit pass every year. Being so little, those old Allison's were intimidating as hell! Didn't mind the turbines, they sound just as cool in a different way. Dad had a friend who lived in one of those condos that stretched out into the lake, so we'd get onto the roof and BBQ. They'd have cases of Olympia/Rainier and eventually I'd get one tiny little sip of warm beer. It made me feel like I was one of the "'guys". Then I'd patiently wait to see Chip skirting across the water in Atlas Van Lines, while wondering "When are the Angels coming???"

You can't really stop change, but I really do miss the city I once knew.

Damn you Bob, you're making me tear up a little bit - I'm getting hit with a case of nostalangitis! (Think I just made up a word there)
yoder
Site Admin

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:10 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Oh man I used to be such a hydroplane races fan! especially in the 60's when my uncle would take me to the Gold Cup every year and into the 70's when I started making it a party thing with my friends! They kinda lost me a bit with the Turbine engines, I just loved the sound of those Allison and RR 12 cylinders!

RIP Pat!

I don't mean to divert the thread, but your comment about hydros going to turbines raised my eyebrows. Part of the fun of going to hydroplane races was the noise of the old piston driven boats firing up on the river. It was like a thousands Harley's starting up. Now it sounds like a bunch of vacume cleaners

That and the restrictions on alcohol and my 'growing up' and becoming more civilized. We used to sit in our lawn chairs drinking beer and armed with several yards of surgical tubing wrapped around our waists loaded with water. Some hot chicks in bikinis would walk past us and we'd shoot them in the boobs, butt, etc. They'd get really upset, but 15 minutes later, the same girls would walk past us again. Nowadays that kind of behavior would land us in jail.

Ahh, those were the days!

Since I didn't grow up in the Seattle area, I wasn't familiar with Pat O'Day, but RIP anyway.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Howard Mudd.
I think he was one of the better OL coaches in the NFL - and he was a Seahawk OL coach, too
but probably hit the top of his career when Payton Manning was the QB in Indy.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:58 am

Lou Brock gone. I can't believe he was 81.
One of the best base stealers of his era.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:00 am

NorthHawk wrote:Lou Brock gone. I can't believe he was 81.
One of the best base stealers of his era.

Good call. I saw that. Brock was one of my childhood heroes as I was a Cards fan back in the 60's.

Tom Seaver passed away a few days earlier as well.

RIP to both.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:22 am

Also, as was mentioned in the Seahawks forum, long time WSU football play-by-play announcer Bob Robertson passed away. He was 92. I've never heard anyone get so excited over something so inconsequential as Robertson could during some of his broadcasts, but of course, that was his job.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:15 pm

SCOTUS Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg, 87, died today. Although her health issues were well known, her death still comes as a shock.

Whether we agree with her judicial philosophy or not, we have to respect the fact that she went to extraordinary lengths to serve her country on the nation's highest court, particularly in these past few years as she was battling various ailments. She was a tough old gal.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:31 pm

Powerful, gracious lady. RIP Ma'am.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:00 am

We lost Gale Sayers today. He was 77.
He was the first RB who really excited me about football. Jim Brown was an impressive power and speed
combo, but as a kid I appreciated the suddenness of Sayers play much more. It's too bad he had a knee
injury when procedures weren't very good to repair the damage.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 am

Nice call. It's refreshing that there is someone else in this forum besides me that is so old as to remember seeing Sayers play.

Sayers was also one of two central characters, played by Billy Dee Williams and James Caan, in the movie "Brian's Song", one of the better football movies made.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:58 am

RiverDog wrote:Nice call. It's refreshing that there is someone else in this forum besides me that is so old as to remember seeing Sayers play.

Sayers was also one of two central characters, played by Billy Dee Williams and James Caan, in the movie "Brian's Song", one of the better football movies made.

It's a fading memory now, but reinforced by highlight films. And the films are in color, not Black and White like when I was a kid.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:50 am

RIP Bob Gibson, My all time favorite Baseball player.

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/bob-gib ... -2uTj_KfPU
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:12 pm

Good call. You talk to coaches and players from that era and ask them if they had to choose one pitcher to win a Game 7 of a World Series for them, the majority would answer Bob Gibson.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:24 pm

RiverDog wrote:Good call. You talk to coaches and players from that era and ask them if they had to choose one pitcher to win a Game 7 of a World Series for them, the majority would answer Bob Gibson.

I watched him just about win an entire world series single handedly! He won 3 games in the 67 series and in game 7 he allowed only 3 hits, struck out 10 and hit a home run of his own to help seal it! Most impressive sports performance I ever saw until Ali's Thrilla in Manila. Now they are 1A and 1B.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:47 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I watched him just about win an entire world series single handedly! He won 3 games in the 67 series and in game 7 he allowed only 3 hits, struck out 10 and hit a home run of his own to help seal it! Most impressive sports performance I ever saw until Ali's Thrilla in Manila. Now they are 1A and 1B.

Yup. And had Curt Flood not misjudged a fly ball, Gibson might have won the '68 series almost singlehandedly, too. That would have given the Cards 3 WS championships in the decade and elevated them to one of the game's great dynasties.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:27 pm

RIP Eddie Van Halen.

I'm crushed.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:50 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:RIP Eddie Van Halen.

I'm crushed.

Part of one of the big hair bands of the 80's. RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:09 pm

Part of the big hair bands of the 80s? Talk about an underestimation, Riverdog. Eddie was a musical pioneer and a maestro on the guitar. He was not just a part of the big hair bands of the 80s.

Eddie revolutionized guitar playing and musical production. He mastered several instruments, wrote his own music, and led Van Halen for 40 years through different lead singers.

Damn. R.I.P. Eddie. You were a huge part of my childhood. One of the best to ever do it on the guitar. Your solos were works of art. Your music transcended generations. One of the few artists who lives up to the moniker musical genius. You revolutionized rock music and inspired many of the greatest guitar players from your era and after. Eddie re-energized the badass guitar led bands that you saw back in the 60s and 70s.

Eddie also helped build MTV back during its initial 1981 creation. The Jump album and all its associated videos did for rock what Michael and Thriller did for pop music.

Thanks for all the great music, Eddie. Van Halen was huge part of my youth. Van Halen with Roth or Hagar was always rocking.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:55 pm

No Riv, not a hair band at all, and not 80's either. Van Halen started in the 70's (I first saw them in 78) and were more an extension of the LA party band scene playing the Whiskey A Go Go in 77 (the Doors used to be the Whiskey's house band). They belonged more associated with bands like Montrose and REO Speedwagon and Alice Cooper than 80's hair bands.

But Eddie's guitar playing transcended all that. He revolutionized the way the instrument was played across genres. Jazz, Prog, country, even that kid on August Rush were all learning to fret walk after he hit the scene. A much too singular a talent to be refered to as "Part of one of the big hair bands of the 80's".
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:35 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:No Riv, not a hair band at all, and not 80's either. Van Halen started in the 70's (I first saw them in 78) and were more an extension of the LA party band scene playing the Whiskey A Go Go in 77 (the Doors used to be the Whiskey's house band). They belonged more associated with bands like Montrose and REO Speedwagon and Alice Cooper than 80's hair bands.

But Eddie's guitar playing transcended all that. He revolutionized the way the instrument was played across genres. Jazz, Prog, country, even that kid on August Rush were all learning to fret walk after he hit the scene. A much too singular a talent to be refered to as "Part of one of the big hair bands of the 80's".

Well, I certainly associate them with the 80's. I'm not nearly as big of a rock fan as you are, so I'll yield to your observations.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:07 am

Another one of my favorites, Joe Morgan, HOF second baseman for the Big Red Machine, died at age 77.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hall-of-fame-s ... 46967.html
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:18 am

RiverDog wrote:Another one of my favorites, Joe Morgan, HOF second baseman for the Big Red Machine, died at age 77.

Joe Morgan? Oh, man he was one of those guys who you can't not respect because he played the game the right way. I also
enjoyed his perspective on the game when he was in the broadcast booth.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:25 am

RiverDog wrote:Another one of my favorites, Joe Morgan, HOF second baseman for the Big Red Machine, died at age 77.

NorthHawk wrote:Joe Morgan? Oh, man he was one of those guys who you can't not respect because he played the game the right way. I also
enjoyed his perspective on the game when he was in the broadcast booth.

Yup. Joe was a great guy. I remember watching Morgan playing catch with George HW Bush, who was a very good fielding first basemen, and seeing Bush in his 60's catch balls behind his back, something I could never come close to doing.

Morgan was a little guy and base stealing threat with power. Having Rose leading off, Morgan batting second then guys like Tony Perez, George Foster, and Johnny Bench batting behind them made the Reds a mini dynasty.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:54 am

RIP Fred Dean, who just succumbed to Covid-19.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/49-ers-pas ... 11324.html
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:10 pm

Only 68 years old. It would be interesting to know if he had any underlying conditions.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:10 pm

We lost Herb Adderley today. He was 81 for those of us who are old enough to remember SB1 and before.
Apparently he was a RB who Lombardi moved to CB in Green Bay which is something I didn't know.
He played on 4 SB teams winning 3 rings.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:48 am

RIP Sean Connery.

I have SO had it with 2020!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:29 am

c_hawkbob wrote:RIP Sean Connery.

I have SO had it with 2020!

One of my favorite actors of all time: The original James Bond, The Presidio, The Hunt for Red October. RIP.

And yes, I've had it with 2020 as well. Ctrl-Alt-Del.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:32 pm

R.I.P. Connery. One of the manliest men to ever be in Hollywood. He always played himself, but in a way that you always liked. I grew up watching Roger Moore as James Bond, but came to enjoy Sean Connery the best. He brought a masculine style to Bond that defined the character. Even liked him in Time Bandits and Zardoz. The Man Who Would Be King was a Connery classic.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:15 pm

Sean Connery's voice, with that deep, rich, British accent, is what set him apart from other actors.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:19 pm

He was also the most effortlessly cool person on earth. The world is a lot less cool today.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:55 am

RIP Alex Trebek. Another piece of my history falls prey to 2020.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:03 pm

The face of Jeopardy for as long as I can remember. R.I.P. Alex. You always kept Jeopardy classy and interesting.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:01 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:The face of Jeopardy for as long as I can remember. R.I.P. Alex. You always kept Jeopardy classy and interesting.

Well, that dates you. For years, the host of "Jeopardy" was Art Fleming.

Nevertheless, Alex Trebeck was a fixture for the past 2+ decades. RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:58 am

We lost Paul Hornung today after a long battle with dementia. He was 84.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:24 am

NorthHawk wrote:We lost Paul Hornung today after a long battle with dementia. He was 84.

Ah, damn! The Golden Boy. What a shame. Now he has to go to heaven and listen to Lombardi yell at him for being late to his room. May he rest in peace.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:31 am

RIP Trebeck and Connery. Two totally different men, but unique and memorable in their own ways.

I've been reading that Jeopardy fans are hoping LeVar Burton can be the next host. I can picture that, too, with his personality and way of enunciating.
I-5
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:51 pm

I-5 wrote:RIP Trebeck and Connery. Two totally different men, but unique and memorable in their own ways.

I've been reading that Jeopardy fans are hoping LeVar Burton can be the next host. I can picture that, too, with his personality and way of enunciating.

Yah, that show requires a host that can speak clearly. In my mind they should try to copy Trebeck's cadence in not speaking too fast nor too slowly.
NorthHawk
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic