who's got your number???

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

who's got your number???

Postby Hawktown » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:13 am

Anyone out there get phone calls from people for someone else because you have the same phone number but different area code?

I do and it has been pretty interesting at times, I'll try to keep it short.

I just received a call a few days ago from an older lady from Idaho who says she was calling her own number but reached me. No big story here we talked and laughed at the confusion for a few minutes and I finally got her to realize her area code was 209 and mine is 206.

For the past at least 8-9 years I have been getting calls on and off from different people all over the world. Though I only got one guys name and it happened to be a guy named Hot Shot Scott from the T-Man in the morning show on KUBE from a while back that I used to listen to. The person(s) that are actually being called have been for A guy named Alan White from the band Yes and his wife Gigi. As my name is also Allen, you can see where a lot of the conversations were kind of confusing to say the least. One guy, after talking to him for a minute, we had finally figured out that he was not looking for me but Alan White. Alan speaks with an english accent BTW and I do not. This guy laughing, told me that I should sue Alan White and make him change his number, lol. I even spoke with Alan White himself at one time, he was at the airport calling his wife Gigi. I wonder what went through his head when a man answered what he thought was his home phone. Anyway, I talked to him for a few minutes and explained that for years I had been redirecting calls of his from my 206 number to his 425 number and that it was a pleasure to actually finally speak to him and explain to him what has been going on. We laughed and he apologized while I relayed that it was no problem. Funny though not one person over the years told Alan White that people were calling the right number but wrong area code, lol.

Any similar experiences???
Hawktown
Legacy

Re: who's got your number???

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Naw, nothing like that. I get so many scam phone calls that if I don't recognize the number on my caller ID, I don't answer, and if I do answer and the voice I hear is not familiar, I don't spend very much time with them and usually hang up on them. If I hear a pause, I'll hang up at once as I know that it is a computerized dialing device that calls hundreds of numbers looking for a sucker to answer. I've also noticed an increase in unsolicited calls from legitimate businesses, charities, and political organizations. I don't give them the time of day.

Last year, I was getting phone calls from a person or persons with a Middle East accent that said I was about to get arrested for tax evasion. I called the police and they said it was a scam, that the IRS does not contact people by phone, that they do it by snail mail, and confirmed my suspicion that much of these scams originate from overseas where they are immune to law enforcement efforts in this country. A few weeks later, an Iraqi-American friend of mine with a similar accent called asking for me and my wife nearly hung up on him, so there are some unintended consequences to our reaction to unidentified callers.

I've also gotten phone calls from people identifying themselves as Microsoft employees, again a person with a distinct accent, telling me that my computer is sending them random emails and that they can help me fix it, but it sounded fishy so I hung up. Later, I had to call Microsoft about an unrelated problem and asked the agent, a supervisor, about the incident. She said that Microsoft never contacts customers by phone except in returning a call initiated by a customer.

Sorry that I ventured off the trail you were heading down, but your OP stirred my experience with calls from people other than those I know.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: who's got your number???

Postby Hawktown » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:13 am

No problem RD. I should have left the topic a little more open to different "things" as opposed to just who's got your number. Feel free to add anything you would like. I'm trying to add to the forum without my doom and gloom feel that I likely give off with my other thoughts inside threads as I am not as mad as most in here probably think I am, I am just very serious when it comes to certain issues, lol. :)

I hear you on not answering a lot of calls that I do not recognize. Half the reason I ended up talking to all of those people I didn't know is because I am a business owner and I screwed up and handed my cell number out to a few people and they went to hand it out to others against my request. In turn I get a lot of business calls that have no name to them on my cell and they all reply hi Allen and start to ask how things are and all that crap, like a lot of customers would until we both figure out that we really are not looking to talk to each other and they had the wrong number. We usually figured it out really quick but I always had to explain because they would just call back and not realize they were using the wrong area code OR they did not use the area code at all and it sent them to whichever area code randomly.

I have not received any calls for Alan White for a while so they must have figured it out. I would not be surprised to get another someday or that some of the calls I ignore could be for him?
Hawktown
Legacy

Return to Off Topic