New Ownership (Mariners)

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

New Ownership (Mariners)

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Mariners have a new majority owner:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mari ... n-stanton/

I've always thought Lincoln was a subpar CEO, and have thought for a while that it was the owners fault for the mariners being one of the worst franchises of all sports, ever, over the past 15 years.

BUT new ownership scares me. I am glad that Nintendo made the extra effort to make sure they sold it to people with 'local roots', but Clay Bennett also made his promises with the Sonics.

The M's have a HUGE payroll, one of the highest in MLB, and they also have one of the lowest attendance records (both over the last 15 years). Is anyone else other than me worried? I am a die hard M's fan. My first memory of life was at the Kingdome at a mariner's game. I hope the M's turn it around and this works out. I know it's very early but they have shown some promise so far this year.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Re: New Ownership (Mariners)

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:51 am

EmeraldBullet wrote:Mariners have a new majority owner:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mari ... n-stanton/

I've always thought Lincoln was a subpar CEO, and have thought for a while that it was the owners fault for the mariners being one of the worst franchises of all sports, ever, over the past 15 years.

BUT new ownership scares me. I am glad that Nintendo made the extra effort to make sure they sold it to people with 'local roots', but Clay Bennett also made his promises with the Sonics.

The M's have a HUGE payroll, one of the highest in MLB, and they also have one of the lowest attendance records (both over the last 15 years). Is anyone else other than me worried? I am a die hard M's fan. My first memory of life was at the Kingdome at a mariner's game. I hope the M's turn it around and this works out. I know it's very early but they have shown some promise so far this year.

Good to see you posting again, Em.

The Mariners don't really have a new owner. A minority owner is now a majority owner, so there's not any new blood being infused into the ownership group. But nevertheless, it is a change, and getting rid of Howard Lincoln is great news.

I don't think you have to worry about a Bennett-Sonics fiasco occurring with the Mariners. First of all, we have a first class facility with a fan base that's a proven gold mine if they can just put a better product on the field, and secondly, with no NBA or NHL presence in the near future, the Mariners only have to share the nation's 13th largest market with the Seahawks. They're not going anywhere.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: New Ownership (Mariners)

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:45 pm

This is the very best of news. Stink'in Lincoln had no business acting like he was the majority owner when he wasn't He even took money that should have been put back into the team in order to buy a bigger interest in the team. Many people would have called that embezzlement, but he wasn't going to report on him self, was he?? Good riddance!

It is a new era for the Mariners, to go with a new GM and FM.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Return to Off Topic