Locker Room Talk

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Locker Room Talk

Postby I-5 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:39 pm

Apologies if this has already been discussed. If so, I will delete this thread.

Transcript of audio recorded in 2005 between Donald J Trump and Billy Bush on a tour bus:

DJT: "I moved on her, actually. You know, she was down on Palm Beach. I moved on her, and I failed. I’ll admit it."
BB: Whoa.
DJT: I did try and f*** her. She was married.
BB: That’s huge news.
DJT: No, no, Nancy. No, this was [unintelligible] — and I moved on her very heavily. In fact, I took her out furniture shopping. She wanted to get some furniture. I said, “I’ll show you where they have some nice furniture.” I took her out furniture — I moved on her like a b****. But I couldn’t get there. And she was married. Then all of a sudden I see her, she’s now got the big phony tits and everything. She’s totally changed her look.
BB: Sheesh, your girl’s hot as s***. In the purple.
DJT: Whoa! Whoa!
BB: Yes! The Donald has scored. Whoa, my man!
DJT: Look at you, you are a pussy. All right, you and I will walk out.
DJT: Maybe it’s a different one.
BB: It better not be the publicist. No, it’s, it’s her, it’s —
DJT: Yeah, that’s her. With the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.
BB: Whatever you want.
DJT: Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything.
BB: Uh, yeah, those legs, all I can see is the legs.
DJT: Oh, it looks good.
BB: Come on shorty.
DJT: Ooh, nice legs, huh?
BB: Oof, get out of the way, honey. Oh, that’s good legs. Go ahead.
DJT: It’s always good if you don’t fall out of the bus. Like Ford, Gerald Ford, remember?
BB: Down below, pull the handle.
DJT: Hello, how are you? Hi!
Arianne Zucker: Hi, Mr. Trump. How are you? Pleasure to meet you.
DJT: Nice seeing you. Terrific, terrific. You know Billy Bush?
BB: Hello, nice to see you. How you doing, Arianne?
Zucker: Doing very well, thank you. Are you ready to be a soap star?
DJT: We’re ready, let’s go. Make me a soap star.

---------------------------------

My question is, how many of you have ever talked like Trump did here, or heard someone talk like this? I lived in a fraternity at the UW, and yes, I've witnessed mysoginistic behavior and heard misogynistic words, yet nothing as strong as this. The one guy in my fraternity that most closely exemplified this attitude was despised by everyone else, and eventually was kicked out during his 2nd year. I kind of felt sorry for the guy, because I could see he just wanted to be liked, but for some reason he had a twisted idea of what popularity meant.

Secondly, what do you think of Sherman and Baldwin's response to questions about what they thought of Trump's excuse that his words were just 'locker room talk'?

"I think it was a cop-out," Sherman said. "He needed some way to divert the attention from himself. That's not how most people talk in the locker room, and I think a lot of athletes would say the same. But it allows him to divert the conversation away from him, which was the focus."
Sherman's comments echo those of Seattle wide receiver Doug Baldwin, who told The Seattle Times Monday that while locker-room banter can get edgy at times, he didn't see it as a way to explain away Trump's comments.
"Have I heard things like that in the locker room?" Baldwin said. "Not that aggressive. Again, locker-room talk, it can be aggressive sometimes. But I don't think I've heard -- ever heard -- anything like that."
I-5
Legacy

Re: Locker Room Talk

Postby burrrton » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:56 pm

I was in a locker room every day from 7th-grade through 5 years of college, and I hung around with a lot of football players when at my Pac-10 school, and I heard talk like that ALL the time, but those were 20 year old kids trying to sound impressive to everyone and would sleep with anything with a pulse.

Trump was a ~60 year old man when he said that, wasn't he?

I think Sherm et al were right that his "just locker room talk" was just a lame excuse, but not because it's not locker room talk- it's because he wasn't a 20yo, testosterone-laden kid in a locker room.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:46 pm

I'm a lot like burrton. I've participated in similar, Trump-like locker banter back when I was in my 20's. But two things stick out:

1. I was much younger and I was not a father of a daughter when I engaged in the type of conversations Trump did. It's the behavior of young adults, not someone approaching 60 years old. In addition, Trump has two adult daughters. How would he feel if he heard someone talking about his daughters in the same manner he was about other random women? Being a parent, especially being the parent of a daughter, changes the perspective of decent, responsible adults.

2. I'm not running for POTUS. I do not claim to be worthy of leading the entire free world. I do not expect my leaders to behave like Saints, but I do expect a minimum standard of decency of which Trump doesn't come close to meeting. I was appalled at 50 year old Bill Clinton's womanizing, including but not limited to getting regular BJ's in the Oval Office from a 21 year old intern that was a low level government subordinate of his. I would consider myself an extreme hypocrite if I condemned Clinton's behavior while accepting Trump's.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:46 pm

I will also bet neither of you guys ever said anything like 'I don't even wait, I just kiss them' and the ever-charming 'grab 'em by the p****'. Both clearly express non-consensual contact. There's locker room talk, then there's this.
I-5
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:35 am

I-5 wrote:I will also bet neither of you guys ever said anything like 'I don't even wait, I just kiss them' and the ever-charming 'grab 'em by the p****'. Both clearly express non-consensual contact. There's locker room talk, then there's this.

Exactly. Locker room talk might be "damn did you see that new cheerleader? I gotta get me some of that!" Or "man I scored with her and lemme tell ya, that girl could suck s golf ball through 50' of garden hose" if it's a sexual conversation (which frankly it usually isn't but they do take place) ... but if someone does say "I just whack 'em upside the head and do whatever I want" he's usually kidding, or he's mocking the one jackass in the room that actually does talk about chicks like that ... you know the one that's still a virgin and couldn't get a date unless he was, oh I don't know ... a billionaire.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:45 am

I-5 wrote:I will also bet neither of you guys ever said anything like 'I don't even wait, I just kiss them' and the ever-charming 'grab 'em by the p****'. Both clearly express non-consensual contact. There's locker room talk, then there's this.

You think "locker room talk" is limited to discussing what kind of candles he lights before Bae comes over for home-cooked dinner?

but if someone does say "I just whack 'em upside the head and do whatever I want" he's usually kidding

Exactly, but that's what makes it locker room talk- it's 90% bluster, over-the-top crudeness. Short of bragging about violent rape, consensual or non-consensual makes little difference.

I'm not saying every guy does it, but it's virtually guaranteed there's at least one in every locker room, etc.

[edit]

It should be noted again, too, that Trump's claim isn't really a defense- every guy who's been in a locker room knows you hear that kind of sht all the time, but NOT from 60yo men with wives and daughters.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:05 am

I've heard some pretty bad locker room, or rather bar room, talk about women, some of which I either participated in or laughed at, that I'd rather not repeat, but trust me, I've heard stuff that's just as bad if not worse. The difference here is his age and his being a parent. Those two facts don't seem to register with him. I don't think his actions constitutes normal behavior for a 60 year old father of two daughters.

For me, I'm not bothered so much about the specific comments Trump made about women as I am that this is a person that we are being asked to vote for as our leader of the free world. He has no dignity, no respect for anyone except those exactly like himself. I wouldn't vote for him as captain of my football team let alone POTUS.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:18 pm

What is most sickening is the people who are defending Trump and his comments. Trump says the women who have come forward did so because they wanted "fame". The ones I saw and heard seemed to only come forward after they heard him deny he had ever assaulted any women like he bragged to have done on that Access Hollywood tape. Fame seemed to be the LAST thing on their minds. One woman is a registered independent and also dislikes HRC and won't vote for her either. Trump also claims that this whole thing was cooked up by the "Clinton machine". The DNC organization is very well organized but they do not have the kind of power Trump says they do.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:15 pm

I lived in fraternity at the UW for 3 years and also heard lots of crude and misogynistic language...including rape stories at 'other houses' that couldn't be verified. However, I never personally heard anyone brag about non-consensual touching...that's the operative word - non-consensual.
I-5
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:52 pm

I-5 wrote:I lived in fraternity at the UW for 3 years and also heard lots of crude and misogynistic language...including rape stories at 'other houses' that couldn't be verified. However, I never personally heard anyone brag about non-consensual touching...that's the operative word - non-consensual.

Maybe you hung around a higher caliber (personally) group of athletes than I did, but one more time: there was no clear moral demarcation between the type of non-consensual stuff he was talking about and any other. What he said wouldn't have raised a single eyebrow.

"I just grab them you know they want it blah blah blah" and "She was screaming NO NO HELP but I tore her clothes off anyway" are *not* the same thing despite both implying a lack of consent having been given.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm pretty sure the guys in my house weren't that high calibre lol. They just didn't brag about taking girls that way. The one guy who did talk like that was kicked out. And this was in the 90's, when alcohol rules on campus were much more lax, and everyone wasn't being sued all the time. You just don't talk like that or do that to a girl.
I-5
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:09 pm

You just don't talk like that or do that to a girl.

You and I don't talk like that, many guys do (or at least did). I bet the number that actually *do* it is tiny if not statistically insignificant, though.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:14 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:What is most sickening is the people who are defending Trump and his comments. Trump says the women who have come forward did so because they wanted "fame". The ones I saw and heard seemed to only come forward after they heard him deny he had ever assaulted any women like he bragged to have done on that Access Hollywood tape. Fame seemed to be the LAST thing on their minds. One woman is a registered independent and also dislikes HRC and won't vote for her either. Trump also claims that this whole thing was cooked up by the "Clinton machine". The DNC organization is very well organized but they do not have the kind of power Trump says they do.

Yea, the conspiracy theory is clearly a manifestation of Trump's paranoia. He can't bring himself into believing that he's behind in the polls and is about to lose the election. It also explains why he's claiming that the election is rigged weeks before the vote is taken.

But by the same token, I think it is extremely hypocritical for Clinton to criticize Trump for his behavior regarding the War Between the Sexes when her own husband has been accused on more than one occasion of unwanted sexual advances, enough so that he felt compelled to lie about it while under oath.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic