o/t name some white thugs in world history

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

o/t name some white thugs in world history

Postby rottweiler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 pm

Can you name some white folks in world history with whom the word thug is typically associated?

Let's see, right offhand, I got:

Axl Rose.

Al Capone.

Lucky Luciano.

Vladimir Putin.

Bill Maher.

I see that people like Steven A. Smith and Richard Sherman (and some of our own here, like kalibane) are trying to make it a code word for something far worse, and I disagree.

How many white thugs can you name right offhand?
rottweiler
Legacy

Re: o/t name some white thugs in world history

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Hitler Youth
Gestapo
Mousilni
Idi Amin(oops he's black)
Modern day thugs?
I don't know any.
Maybe Vanilla Ice? :o
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:03 am

I think it brings up a really interesting question. I don't know if I agree with Richard or Steven, but I do understand what he is saying. For those a bit left out in Sherman's Presser yesterday he said;

"The reason it bothers me is because it seems like it's an accepted way of calling somebody the N-word now," he said. "It's like everybody else said the N-word and then they say 'thug' and that's fine. It kind of takes me aback and it's kind of disappointing because they know.

"What's the definition of a thug? Really? Can a guy on a football field just talking to people [be a thug?] ... There was a hockey game where they didn't even play hockey! (Laughter from the media) They just threw the puck aside and started fighting. I saw that and said, 'Ah, man, I'm the thug? What's going on here?'" (More laughter from the media). So I'm really disappointed in being called a thug," he said.

Later, Sherman explained that the term was especially troubling given that it's something he's endured his whole life.

"I know some 'thugs,' and they know I'm the furthest thing from a thug," Sherman said. "I've fought that my whole life, just coming from where I'm coming from. Just because you hear Compton (Calif.), you hear Watts, you hear cities like that, you just think 'thug, he's a gangster, he's this, that, and the other,' and then you hear Stanford, and they're like, 'oh man, that doesn't even make sense, that's an oxymoron.'

"You fight it for so long, and to have it come back up and people start to use it again, it's frustrating."

The word Thug has been used in different ways. Originally it was a real guy named Thug who was a mass murderer. The word became a synonym for other mass murderers and eventually in the the early part of the 20th century used to describe cold blooded or callous killers. More recently the word has been used in hip hop culture. Individuals, Acts, and albums have all used it in various ways. It is used more to describe lawlessness, or gang culture. An anthology of writings about Tupac's life was entitled Tupac: A Thug Life. The word, for better or for worse was now not being used to describe mass murderers. It was now being used to describe people most often portrayed in hip hop culture, young black gang members.

So fast forward to Sherman's comment, he says "...it seems like..." He is not trying to redefine the word but pointing out that to him it seems like it already has been.

Deadspin says the word thug was uttered 625 times on television the day after the 'hawks won. How do you think the word was meant to be used? To describe a 17th century East Indian Mass Muderer? To describe a cold blooded killer? Or to describe a young black gang member? I know what I think.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:52 am

Eaglehawk wrote:Hitler Youth
Gestapo
Mousilni
Modern day thugs?
I don't know any.

I would not put Hitler Youth in the 'thug' category. I once worked with a lady that was a member of the Hitler Youth Corps. She was 9 years old when she joined. They did not have a choice and were forced to join, unless they wanted to be whipped.

Joseph Stalin was responsible for more executions than Hitler.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 am

RiverDog wrote:
Gestapo
Mousilni
Modern day thugs?
I don't know any.

I would not put Hitler Youth in the 'thug' category. I once worked with a lady that was a member of the Hitler Youth Corps. She was 9 years old when she joined. They did not have a choice and were forced to join, unless they wanted to be whipped.

I'd leave them in that category because the HY was divided into boys and girls, your friend was in the girl section which just did spying and pointing out of where religious activities were being held, etc.
The boys however grew to be 25,000 strong, and towards the end of the war actually substituted for some of the soldiers in Hitlers army. The HJ regiment were ferocious fighters, and these kids were not persecuted after the war cause they were kids that were brainwashed.
But thugs as a group they were.

They were as much thugs as the guys you see beating up people on the street playing the "knockout" game.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:54 am

Punks that play that "knockout game" and go around sucker punching women and old men are exactly what the word "thug" is, and I just abhor the use of the word in any conjunction whatsoever with Richard Sherman and the Seahawks. I know this is a game to y'all, but it's a terrible one.

Sherm hates it as well, calling it the now somehow acceptable way of using the "N" word without actually saying the word.

And really, can we put this kinda stuff in the O/T forum? That's what it's there for.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Some interesting history in this thread. Namesake for thug moniker, Hitler youth (BTW saying Stalin was a badder dude than Hitler is the worst case of damning by faint praise that I have heard in a while; I'd be damn careful about anything approaching a positive comparison in Hitler's favor). Goes to show how words like thug can illicit a visceral reaction.

Sherman makes a great point that circumventing the N word does not banish the sentiment. Affix a label to a stereotype and most can decipher what is meant by it. In this age of watered down physicality that is the NFL, its become popular to villianize those who play the game as intended. Our Seahawks are throw-backs. God bless them for it.

Why not us!
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Ken Behring?

savvyman
Legacy

Postby yoder » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Moved this to the O.T. forum. I know it doesn't get as much views, but we gotta start somewhere!
yoder
Site Admin

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:54 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:
RiverDog wrote:
Gestapo
Mousilni
Modern day thugs?
I don't know any.

I'd leave them in that category because the HY was divided into boys and girls, your friend was in the girl section which just did spying and pointing out of where religious activities were being held, etc.
The boys however grew to be 25,000 strong, and towards the end of the war actually substituted for some of the soldiers in Hitlers army. The HJ regiment were ferocious fighters, and these kids were not persecuted after the war cause they were kids that were brainwashed.

They were as much thugs as the guys you see beating up people on the street playing the "knockout" game.

At 9 years old? They were brainwashed by thugs and performed the tasks required of them under the threat of being whipped if they didn't carry out their instructions to the letter.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:02 pm

yoder wrote:Moved this to the O.T. forum. I know it doesn't get as much views, but we gotta start somewhere!

Thanks.

My bad, bro.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby yoder » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:25 pm

rottweiler wrote: yoder wrote:Moved this to the O.T. forum. I know it doesn't get as much views, but we gotta start somewhere!

Thanks.

My bad, bro.

No worries!

As far a thugs, here's a good starting point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bilderberg_participants
yoder
Site Admin

Postby rottweiler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:38 pm

yoder wrote:
rottweiler wrote: yoder wrote:Moved this to the O.T. forum. I know it doesn't get as much views, but we gotta start somewhere!

Thanks.

My bad, bro.

No worries!

As far a thugs, here's a good starting point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bilderberg_participants

Couldn't agree more.

Hate those m0f0s.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:15 pm

RiverDog wrote:I would not put Hitler Youth in the 'thug' category. I once worked with a lady that was a member of the Hitler Youth Corps. She was 9 years old when she joined. They did not have a choice and were forced to join, unless they wanted to be whipped.

They were as much thugs as the guys you see beating up people on the street playing the "knockout" game.[/quote]

At 9 years old? They were brainwashed by thugs and performed the tasks required of them under the threat of being whipped if they didn't carry out their instructions to the letter.[/quote]
I make the distinction between a group collectively and individually. Sure, your friend was brainwashed and coerced. Most were. But collectively, they were a group of thugs.
Their actions were inexcusable, as a group. Individually, you are correct, but as a group, my point is that HY was a bunch of thugs.
If they are brainwashed or not, they were still thugs. Don't forget, more than a few actually enjoyed it.
People such as Rommel's son were given a pass.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Double. Edit.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:57 am

I forgot.

INCOGNITO
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Did anyone mention Aaron Hernandez yet?

Non-black dude that *defines* the term "thug".
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:20 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:I forgot.

INCOGNITO

Incognito? Why?

We must have a different definition of the term "thug.". When I think of a thug, I think of a criminal, in particular, one that commits violent crimes, like assault and robbery. Aaron Hernandez is a classic example of a thug. Incognito is no more a thug than Richard Sherman. Neither to my knowledge have demonstrated what I would consider "thuggish" behavior.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:06 pm

My eyes just don't roll far enough to suit that post.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Return to Off Topic