Sex assault tsunami

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: Sex assault tsunami

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:23 pm

RiverDog wrote:I haven't seen any legitimate polls matching Trump vs. Biden or Trump vs. Sanders. Additionally, Hillary won the popular vote, so the real question is how would have Biden or Sanders done against Trump in the rust belt states of MI, PA, and WI where the election was decided.

Hillary had every advantage in the book: She ran as a Dem, of whom twice as many voters identify themselves as D's than R's. She had a nation wide organization, with experience in two POTUS campaigns as well as her Senate run. There was no reason for her making the mistakes she made in her campaign. Wisconsin hadn't gone to the R's since 1984, when Reagan won 49 states, yet she lost it, never even sat foot in it during the campaign. They were overconfident, did not detect the gradual swing to Trump in the waning weeks of the campaign and thus did nothing to counter. Trump beat her up badly with his "America First" theme that played especially well in the battleground states she had to win. She ran a horrible campaign. IMO a simple change of campaign strategy would have made the difference in this election.

Exactly. And she still lost to Trump. You could say the same thing of many of the Republican candidates that ran against Trump as well. They were better financed, more well known with their base, better supported by their powerful party members, and still he stood at the end. Sanders didn't even have enough power in the Democratic Party to ensure his own party didn't screw him, much less stand up to Trump and his cronies looking to crush him.

I don't think religion has much impact anymore, at least not Catholics and probably not Jews. I would guess that a Muslim would have difficulty winning a national election. But that's just an opinion.

That's what I used to think. You're being from Washington has made your view of religion as unimportant. We don't care about it here. I imagine you don't associate with many religious conservatives. Like I mentioned previously, I learned this lesson during Romney's run. I was surprised when talking with some religious conservatives how concerned they were with Romney's Mormon background. They did not trust Mormons. I'm not sure how closely they tracked it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Romney's Mormon background didn't cost him quite a few votes from his own party and undecided voters.

We did see the first black or mixed-race president as I prefer to see Obama. The first Jewish president might be in the cards at some point. You of the many on this forum given your knowledge of presidents should know religion matters. One Catholic president in history is no accident. And no Jewish presidents or close to it. Even Barry Goldwater was raised Episcopalian, though his father was Jewish.

Parties vet for religion. They won't talk about it in public, but they do it behind closed doors. I'd be very surprised if one of the reasons Sanders was tanked by the Democrats was because he was Jewish. When you want to win the White House, you go for as sure a thing as possible.

There are two big changes I'd like to see in American politics. The first is a viable 3rd party, and the second would be to do away with the winner-take-all aspect of the electoral college.

Electoral college is better than going by the popular vote. Not sure how you change it to make it more fair. I certainly don't want a cesspool like California deciding every election with their huge welfare state population.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

You could say the same thing of many of the Republican candidates that ran against Trump as well. They were better financed, more well known with their base, better supported by their powerful party members, and still he stood at the end.

I don't know if this contradicts anybody's argument, but this was due to the stupidity (disorganization?) of the Republican party- Trump won the nomination by (as far as I recall) never getting a majority of the votes. His message resonated with a plurality, but the R majority never supported him in the primaries. They were just too stupid to coalesce around a single candidate, and I think it's going to cost them *big time* in 2018. Congrats, everyone.

Electoral college is better than going by the popular vote. Not sure how you change it to make it more fair.

Agreed, but making it proportional as RD described would make it more fair. Ds won't write off Texas et al, and Rs won't write off California and New York et al. Seems like a good outcome to me.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:14 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Electoral college is better than going by the popular vote. Not sure how you change it to make it more fair. I certainly don't want a cesspool like California deciding every election with their huge welfare state population.

The problem now, as burrton said, is that candidates write off entire sections of the country. R's don't bother with going to the entire west coast and D's won't go into Texas because it's winner-take-all. Why should Trump waste a dime of his campaign money or a minute of his time going into California when Hillary is going to win it by a landslide? Since most states fall into one column or another weeks before an election, the candidates tend to focus almost all of their time and energy...and make promises to certain regional interests...in an effort to win the handful of states that polls show are inside a 2.5% margin, ie up for grabs.

But if each Congressional district got to cast their electoral vote for the winner in their district vs. the state wide winner, then suddenly dozens of electoral votes along the west coast, New York, and in Texas would come into play.

I calculated how my proposal would have affected the 2016 election, and the electoral college tightened up some, but Trump still would have won. But that's judging the election by the results gained under winner-take-all-rules. Who knows how many Americans would have voted had the candidates been forced out of PA and MI.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 am

This is so incredibly disgusting......https://www.yahoo.com/sports/case-repor ... 33574.html
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:24 am

Largent80 wrote:This is so incredibly disgusting......https://www.yahoo.com/sports/case-repor ... 33574.html

Agreed, it's disgusting, every bit as much as the Sandusky-Penn State scandal, perhaps more.

But do you have a point to make?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 am

The title of the thread is "Sex assault tsunami", this is part of that is it not?

I think this is worse than the Sandusky thing because of the sheer scale of it; the amount of blind eyes turned and the cover up ... It involves a lot more than just one institution, it involves the Olympics and the entire women's gymnastics community.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:01 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:The title of the thread is "Sex assault tsunami", this is part of that is it not?

I think this is worse than the Sandusky thing because of the sheer scale of it; the amount of blind eyes turned and the cover up ... It involves a lot more than just one institution, the Olympics and the entire women's gymnastics community.

It is, indeed, and I agree with you, this does seem worse than the Sandusky-Penn State scandal.

But I was very sincerely asking if there was a point to be made. Was L80 advocating that someone or some institution is to blame, that someone other than the convicted needs to go to jail, or that certain courses of action are needed to prevent this from happening? All he did was post a link with no comment other than it's sickening.

I'd be interested in hearing your comments as well.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:29 pm

What C_Bob said, this is a thread titled "sexual assault tsunami". This is bigger than a tsunami.

What else needs to be said, I said it's disgusting and the fact that they paid money to hush her up makes it even worse.

Compared to a blowjob in the oval office, this is on another level.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:50 pm

OK, then I'll go first:

In the very first sentence of the article, the author says that a "single, powerful law enforcement agency to fully investigate all aspects of Larry Nassar’s reign of terror should be commissioned, and takes a few shots at the state of PA, indicates that he thinks that the FBI should take over the investigation.

So what is it that you're sick about, the scandal, the way it's being investigated, or both? Are you agreeing or disagreeing with the author?

I'm not trying to pick a fight or start an argument, but the article you posted seemed pretty provocative, was more about the way the investigation was being handled than the scandal itself.

And to be honest, this is the first I've heard about the scandal, and like you, I'm sickened by it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:38 am

The reason I posted it is because I was unaware of the payoff and the fact it had been hushed. Everyone knew about the "doctor" already but all of this was never even mentioned in this thread. This is real sexual deviancy and human rights deviancy at it's zenith. And also shows how money is used to keep people quiet. It's great that it is exposed because people are not getting away with things they used to.

I'm not nitpicking any of what is in that article as I just stumbled upon it on Yahoo's front page.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:21 am

Largent80 wrote:The reason I posted it is because I was unaware of the payoff and the fact it had been hushed. Everyone knew about the "doctor" already but all of this was never even mentioned in this thread. This is real sexual deviancy and human rights deviancy at it's zenith. And also shows how money is used to keep people quiet. It's great that it is exposed because people are not getting away with things they used to.

I'm not nitpicking any of what is in that article as I just stumbled upon it on Yahoo's front page.

Fair enough. I'm glad you posted it as I wasn't aware of the scandal.

This scandal stinks to high heaven. If they can prove that hush money was paid, then there needs to be some people going to jail besides the assailant. Penn State's scandal never involved the payment of hush money, only people that failed to properly report the crime.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Yeah. The gymnastics scandal is sick. Those poor girls. Giving their all for their country to have this happen. Whoever agreed to that payout needs the hammer to fall on them hard. How could have have lasted that long doing this I do not know. It's like a Catholic priest cover up.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic