Jerry Richardson

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Jerry Richardson

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm surprised that we haven't started a thread about this subject. This one, to me, is a shocker. Jerry Richardson seemed to me to be one of the more decent guys, the only current owner that used to be an NFL player. Here's the best article that I've read that offers the most details about the scandal:

https://www.si.com/jerry-richardson-car ... twitter_si

It certainly doesn't rise to the level of some of the recent sex scandals to have arisen lately, but some of the stuff sounds really weird and creepy, like asking women if he can shave their legs and showing up to a private meeting barefoot expecting a foot massage. It sounds like it's been going on for a long time, and to be honest, I haven't decided which side to come down on just yet.

I'm curious as to what you all think.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Jerry Richardson

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:42 pm

There are a lot of strange people in the world. You only hear about the famous ones a lot of the time with enough money that anyone would care. I believe weird interactions with people happen on a daily basis. The most strange ones make their way into the news, most don't. Women deal with more of the strange behavior than men because men are biologically driven to pursue them. Some men just don't know where the line is drawn. Some women too, but it's worse for them overall.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:There are a lot of strange people in the world. You only hear about the famous ones a lot of the time with enough money that anyone would care. I believe weird interactions with people happen on a daily basis. The most strange ones make their way into the news, most don't. Women deal with more of the strange behavior than men because men are biologically driven to pursue them. Some men just don't know where the line is drawn. Some women too, but it's worse for them overall.

Obviously I've seen objectional behavior happen in my workplace, but not as frequently as you seem to be indicating. Most of it is jokes within a group of males, like watching a well endowned female's boobs bounce while she works or a comment about spinning a dime on the hip pocket of a well proportioned female's jeans. I'll have to plead guilty of some of that behavior myself, especially in my younger years. On the job, it's worth a sharp reprimand, but so long as it stops, doesn't rise above much else. And women aren't exempt from this kind of behavior, either.

But actually asking women if you can shave their legs?

And just to share a personal experience of mine: Back in the 70's when I was in my 20's, me and my buddies used to take our lawn chairs and ice chest of beer to the boat races held in late July. With us we took some surgical tubing and would fill one end with water, and by putting the inflated bladder under our arms and narrowing the end of the tubing, could shoot a solid stream of water a good 100'. Whenever a good looking female scantily clad in a bikini would walk by, we'd shoot them in the boobs and/or azz. We'd laugh like hell and the women would act like they were really mad, but 20 minutes later, the same women would walk past us again.

Jeez, we'd be thrown in prison for life if we did that nowadays.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:20 pm

RiverDog wrote:Obviously I've seen objectional behavior happen in my workplace, but not as frequently as you seem to be indicating. Most of it is jokes within a group of males, like watching a well endowned female's boobs bounce while she works or a comment about spinning a dime on the hip pocket of a well proportioned female's jeans. I'll have to plead guilty of some of that behavior myself, especially in my younger years. On the job, it's worth a sharp reprimand, but so long as it stops, doesn't rise above much else. And women aren't exempt from this kind of behavior, either.

But actually asking women if you can shave their legs?

And just to share a personal experience of mine: Back in the 70's when I was in my 20's, me and my buddies used to take our lawn chairs and ice chest of beer to the boat races held in late July. With us we took some surgical tubing and would fill one end with water, and by putting the inflated bladder under our arms and narrowing the end of the tubing, could shoot a solid stream of water a good 100'. Whenever a good looking female scantily clad in a bikini would walk by, we'd shoot them in the boobs and/or azz. We'd laugh like hell and the women would act like they were really mad, but 20 minutes later, the same women would walk past us again.

Jeez, we'd be thrown in prison for life if we did that nowadays.

Times have changed. I've watched women and men flirt and engage in what would be considered inappropriate behavior by the standards currently being pushed by the media quite often at work and in other environments. Not many people that weren't drunk or stoned went as far as grabbing p's, but lots of behaviors like you and your buddies were common place. Men like women. They screw around sometimes. Not sure what will happen after this, though I'm thinking women are going to force a very sterile environment for men and women, unless they want otherwise I imagine. Humans are notorious for over-reacting to fix problems.

These predatory males are making males look bad as a whole. I wish we could sensibly run them out, while maintaining a more relaxed environment. But these accusations have been politicized. Once something becomes politicized, it heads off the rails into which politician or group can do more to stop this from happening. I imagine it will be very tight for a while.

I do feel bad for uglier men. Women are more likely to accuse uglier men of this type of behavior. I always found it amusing that an attractive male can get away with a lot more than some fat, ugly male like Weinstein. The attractiveness of the male will determine the degree by which he can exceed whatever line has been drawn to make complaints. I've had female employees come to me more than a few times not liking someone purely based on how that male looks and social awkwardness can really exacerbate that to a higher degree even if it isn't sexual harassment.

I'm glad that type of behavior was never part of my character. My Catholic upbringing and interaction with nuns has made me a very polite boy around women. My male coworkers get mad at me for treating women too kindly because I put more of the hard work on them. Theyre males. Males should have their ass kicked to work hard. They have to be strong to protect and support the female and the children. I don't get these predatory males. Total breach of their duty in a social environment.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:22 pm

I have my parents to thank for my being who I am. My dad was a country gentleman. I was taught to rise when a woman walked into a room, hold doors open for them, offer them my seat if I'm riding a bus. All of this was learned by the example my dad set for us. And it was genuine. Dad's tone of voice would change when a woman walked into a room. He was as bashful as a little boy around them. Not once did I ever hear him refer to women anywhere near Trump's infamous remarks. And this was a guy that loved his beer, bowled once a week with the guys, was not immune to a dirty joke, first stop after work always being at the Elk's Club Stag Bar, home like clock work at 6:00 pm for dinner. Point being he wasn't some goody two shoes.

My take is that the problem is the male ego. It's part of what makes us men to feel that we're God's gift to the female species. Women have to not only like us, but want to have sex us, or so we tell ourselves. IMO this is a trait that's present in all of us males, but most of us get on top of it and realize that not every woman is going to find us desirable. Once we've tamed that part of the male ego, it's rather easy to cope with rejection.

Back to the part of giving up your seat on a bus: As much of a racist that my dad was back in the 60's (he was a rather passive racist), I once heard him tell his friends that he would have kicked the ass of the man insisting that Rosa Parks give her seat up to him. And that conversation occurred in the early 60's, well before his being 'born again', so to speak. A woman was a woman.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Back to the part of giving up your seat on a bus: As much of a racist that my dad was back in the 60's (he was a rather passive racist), I once heard him tell his friends that he would have kicked the ass of the man insisting that Rosa Parks give her seat up to him. And that conversation occurred in the early 60's, well before his being 'born again', so to speak. A woman was a woman.

Sounds like a great role model!
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:27 pm

That was back when being a man meant something other than your biological gender. People stopped teaching other men to be that way some time back.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:02 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:That was back when being a man meant something other than your biological gender. People stopped teaching other men to be that way some time back.

True. Some of that failure to teach gentilemanship, and in my case, it was less about being 'taught' as it was demonstrated for me to see, was undoubtedly driven by the feminist movement and almost enividable as women started entering the workplace.

Your statement about your Catholic upbringing got me to thinking about my old man. My dad had a lot of faults but his treatment of women wasn't one of them. I can say with all honesty that I have never struck a woman in anger nor have I forced myself onto one or acted in an obscene way, except for stuff like the water fights at the boat races.

Asking a woman if you can shave their legs and being serious about it is pretty creepy IMO, and if I were a female employee, I'd find it rather embarrassing. Same goes for the "jeans day" stuff. It's a good thing that Richardson is selling the team as this investigation is libel to be very embarrassing for a league that's trying so to attract female viewers and counter the bad press brought on by some of their players. The activity that I've read about doesn't appear to me to be criminal, but it's stuff that shouldn't be tolerated in the workplace.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic