College Football players to Unionize?

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

College Football players to Unionize?

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 am

From PFT, Northwestern is beginning to start the process to unionize. It's just the start at that school, but about 30% have signed union cards and the NFLPA is supporting their effort.
The link:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -unionize/

I think it's inevitable when you consider the money being created by the Football programs and how restrictive it is for the players to in some cases get plane fare home for family members who have suddenly died and other overly restrictive rules.
There was a thread on the old PI, but I don't remember anyone bringing this possibility up at the time.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: College Football players to Unionize?

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:47 am

Ha! Good for them!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 am

Mixed feelings here.

On one hand, I *firmly* support lightening up on these guys wrt things like what you mention. Allowing sensible gifts, maybe an apartment for their parents, and maybe even a reasonable wage (so they have spending money) doesn't have to be the slippery slope to them owning homes bigger than the University President's mansion while playing as "amateurs".

On the other hand, I get sooooo sick and tired of hearing people completely dismiss those players being given a free (to them) education worth (often) many hundreds of thousands of dollars.

That ain't peanuts, kids, and you dmn well better start showing some appreciation for it instead of resenting the school for making money off the program, because in too many cases, it will be the only thing between you and poverty when football is no longer your job.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:55 am

I don't follow college but certainly think there is no common sense sometimes in this gifts rules thing.

Unions are not all bad. Some are quite good. Lets see.
My beef if the players were happy they would not need to unionize in the first place. The officials brought this upon themselves NCAA officials I mean.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Return to Off Topic