Government Shut Down

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: Government Shut Down

Postby idhawkman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:05 pm

RiverDog wrote: Original text but leave it to Trump to send them whether or not they're needed simply to rally his base.

Apology not necessary, but nevertheless greatly appreciated, although I don't see how adding "to rally his base" would have changed the context of the phrase.

If you read that sentence like "Trump is doing this only to rally his base and he doesn't need the troops at all and no one has asked him to send them." it means one thing, if you read it like "Trump will probably send them when he doesn't really need them." it means a whole different thing.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:47 pm

idhawkman wrote:If you read that sentence like "Trump is doing this only to rally his base and he doesn't need the troops at all and no one has asked him to send them." it means one thing, if you read it like "Trump will probably send them when he doesn't really need them." it means a whole different thing.

True, except I that never said or inferred that no one asked Trump to send troops, so you can rule out your first interpretation. You either didn't read my post carefully or you were putting words into my mouth. I choose to believe the former.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 pm

RiverDog wrote:True, except I that never said or inferred that no one asked Trump to send troops, so you can rule out your first interpretation. You either didn't read my post carefully or you were putting words into my mouth. I choose to believe the former.

unfortunately, you wrote it vague enough to be left open to interpretation. In the military the first lesson of being a leader is that you have to be able to express yourself verbally or in writing where there is no doubt about your meaning. On another note, communication is the response you get not the intention you had.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:23 am

idhawkman wrote:unfortunately, you wrote it vague enough to be left open to interpretation. In the military the first lesson of being a leader is that you have to be able to express yourself verbally or in writing where there is no doubt about your meaning. On another note, communication is the response you get not the intention you had.

In grade school, one of the first lessons of expressing yourself verbally in writing involves the use of capital letters so there is no doubt about your meaning. You didn't capitalize the first word in your first sentence, and your failure to capitalize certain words could drastically alter the intended meaning of particular phrases, such as a story about Uncle Jack and his horse.

But seriously, IMO my failure to communicate clearly with you had more to do with your predisposition as to what you thought my opinion might be vs. reading my musings with an open mind.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:38 am

RiverDog wrote:
In grade school, one of the first lessons of expressing yourself verbally in writing involves the use of capital letters so there is no doubt about your meaning. You didn't capitalize the first word in your first sentence, and your failure to capitalize certain words could drastically alter the intended meaning of particular phrases, such as a story about Uncle Jack and his horse.

But seriously, IMO my failure to communicate clearly with you had more to do with your predisposition as to what you thought my opinion might be vs. reading my musings with an open mind.

The response you get is your fault, not the intended target.
idhawkman
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic