Hows the Knee Recovery Going, River?

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Hows the Knee Recovery Going, River?

Postby Vegaseahawk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Keep us posted as to your progress. How are things working out with the new knee?
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Re: Hows the Knee Recovery Going, River?

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:17 pm

Hey, thanks for your concern, Vegas!

I just got through posting an update on Facebook as I have other friends that keep asking, so here's a copy and paste of it:

Just a FYI for those that might be interested. It's been 6 weeks since my knee replacement surgery and I met with the surgeon this morning. They X-rayed it from 3 different angles and the new knee looks good. I am able to almost extend it straight and flat but bending it is a different story as I'm only at about a 100 degree angle when bent as far as it will go, with normal being about 120 degrees. He's given me some steroids to help ease the pain so I can move it a little more freely. I have another appointment with him in two weeks, if it hasn't improved by then, they'll put me under general anesthesia and manipulate the knee to loosen it up. The doctor said that my condition isn't abnormal or unexpected, so there's nothing to be concerned about, just that it's going to take a little bit longer rehab. I'm continuing with 2x week physical therapy in addition to an aggressive daily workout routine on my own...I've lost 10-12 pounds since the surgery :D
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:47 pm

Get on that range of motion, RD- you don't want to have them crank it under anesthesia. Maybe they do it differently now, but when I was practicing, patients felt like they were starting over when they woke up!

(of course, they weren't, and the progress went quickly, but it's terribly uncomfortable they told me)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:47 am

burrrton wrote:Get on that range of motion, RD- you don't want to have them crank it under anesthesia. Maybe they do it differently now, but when I was practicing, patients felt like they were starting over when they woke up!

(of course, they weren't, and the progress went quickly, but it's terribly uncomfortable they told me)

My wife had a similar procedure when she had a frozen shoulder and it worked quite well for her. I haven't talked to anyone that has had it done with a knee.

I don't intend on waiting around. I recently discovered a leg curl machine that after I get past a certain, painful point, will allow me to bend the knee completely backwards, so I'll be hitting it as much as I can.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic