Cord Cutters and Mariners

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Cord Cutters and Mariners

Postby FolkCrusader » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:05 am

Hey all,

Looking for any advise on streaming Mariner games. Recently cut DTV and went to a combination of Fire TV stick/Prime, Hulu plus, and Netflix. Also use over the air HD signals at times.

Root will allow an internet broadcast, but only if you have a package that includes Root broadcasts. In my area that means Comcast, DTV, or Dish. I thought I would be able to buy a MLB package for the Mariners, but their packages are all out of market. So I guess I'm down to some sort of alternate streaming. Any recommendations?
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Re: Cord Cutters and Mariners

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:38 pm

FolkCrusader wrote:Hey all,

Looking for any advise on streaming Mariner games. Recently cut DTV and went to a combination of Fire TV stick/Prime, Hulu plus, and Netflix. Also use over the air HD signals at times.

Root will allow an internet broadcast, but only if you have a package that includes Root broadcasts. In my area that means Comcast, DTV, or Dish. I thought I would be able to buy a MLB package for the Mariners, but their packages are all out of market. So I guess I'm down to some sort of alternate streaming. Any recommendations?

I've been looking for the same thing, and I'm afraid that the only option for legally streaming Mariner games without a conventional cable/satellite subscription is to sign up for MLB.com's streaming service at $119/year. They have a cheaper $90 option for a single team if you live outside that team's marketing area.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:10 am

You have to use a 3rd party add-on and do it illegally if you want it free. Better use a VPN.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:44 am

Largent80 wrote:You have to use a 3rd party add-on and do it illegally if you want it free. Better use a VPN.

Well, I'm not doing either and will be content to listen to them on the radio or go to the local BWW.

The problem is that unlike the NFL or NBA, small, regional networks own the broadcast rights to the individual MLB teams. In the case of the Mariners, it's Root Sports Northwest. But the Mariners are the majority stock holders in that network, so you have to figure that they're going to want to get their games to as many fans as possible. Especially with the prospect of NHL coming to Seattle, the M's are going to have to make their product as accessible as humanly possible to increase their popularity in an ever changing sports market.

Sling added CSN, NBC's reginal network, to their lineup, so I'm betting that by next season at least one of the streaming services is going to add Root to its offerings. It's a win-win for both the Mariners and the streaming service, too good of a business opportunity for either one of them to pass up.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:30 am

I use a VPN even though all my content is legal. I just don't want anyone peering in on what I do (in this case Xfinity), hence my rejection of sites like Facerook, Twatwaffle and Instahack.

But hey, each to their own.
Largent80
Legacy

Return to Off Topic