NY Times Kavanaugh Story

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: NY Times Kavanaugh Story

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:11 pm

I-5 wrote:Speaking of selective critics...

I'll go on record saying I WAS glad that Trump got ONE positive thing done...bipartisan support for criminal justice legislation. Unfortunately, I just read that he's now backing off since it's not giving him the bounce of black support that his son-in-law Kushner told him it would. Great.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/09/ ... shner.html

I'm also glad he has started addressing the opiod crisis (though I don't agree with some of the tactics). At least he wants to do something. Unfortunately, he's going after punishing low level figures instead of going after the drug companies. But of course, that's the Trump way. At least it's something.
https://www.centeronaddiction.org/the-b ... gIR1_D_BwE

I'm mainly glad none of the Republican warhawks pushed him into a war. I thought they would get pushed into one to be honest with you. Trump is usually anti-war, but he likes looking tough. I thought all the warhawks like Bolton and Maddog would push him into war. I read on those guys. They wanted to go to war. The warhawks are pushing hard for a war with Iran if you haven't noticed. Trump is saying, no war with Iran. I want it to stay that way.

Almost four years of Trump and no war with that warhawk cabinet of his and so many people trying to start a war with Iran is one area Trump's pigheadedness against war is a good thing. Until he does otherwise, I'm glad he is that way. If this were Bush/Cheney we'd be ramping up for war in Iran.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:29 pm

I agree about no war...he is definitely not into it. Which is good.

The bad part is his stupid mouth and blind hatred of anything Obama has done has partly gotten us where we are with Iran and destabilizing the mideast. He had no reason to get out of the 'bad deal' with Iran other than his nemesis signed it. That, and his unilateral reckless approach doesn't help our interests.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 pm

I-5 wrote:Speaking of selective critics...

I'll go on record saying I WAS glad that Trump got ONE positive thing done...bipartisan support for criminal justice legislation. Unfortunately, I just read that he's now backing off since it's not giving him the bounce of black support that his son-in-law Kushner told him it would. Great.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/09/ ... shner.html

I'm also glad he has started addressing the opiod crisis (though I don't agree with some of the tactics). At least he wants to do something. Unfortunately, he's going after punishing low level figures instead of going after the drug companies. But of course, that's the Trump way. At least it's something.
https://www.centeronaddiction.org/the-b ... gIR1_D_BwE

Yeah, I was in agreement with the criminal justice system reform legislation, too. I was one of the strongest "3 strikes you're out" guys 20-25 years ago, but once I saw first hand just how difficult it is for someone that has run afoul of the law to get straight again, it woke me up.

I actually agree with Trump on a lot of his immigration positions. I do agree on merit based applicants, oppose decriminalizing illegal border crossings, oppose eliminating ICE, and support strong border security...just not that hideous, costly, impractical, and largely symbolic border wall of his. What I really detest is his rhetoric, Demonizing all immigrants as a bunch of drug running thugs looking to do us harm.

I had to laugh at Idahawkman. When I pressed him for any issue which he disagreed with Trump on, he said that he didn't agree with his "Dreamers" approach, that if it was up to him, he'd teach them appropriate job skills then send them back to their countries of origin.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:43 pm

I-5 wrote:I agree about no war...he is definitely not into it. Which is good.

The bad part is his stupid mouth and blind hatred of anything Obama has done has partly gotten us where we are with Iran and destabilizing the mideast. He had no reason to get out of the 'bad deal' with Iran other than his nemesis signed it. That, and his unilateral reckless approach doesn't help our interests.

That Iran deal was terrible. Not sure why you liked it. It was terrible when it happened. I'm glad he tore it up. Them building up cash to build a nuclear weapon 20 years from now was pointless.

I want to get out of the Middle East. Saudi Arabia is using us against Iran. Iran is no real threat to us. I'm tired of being in that pathetic fight. Saudi Arabia and Iran can wipe each other out as far as I'm concerned. I'm tired of protecting Saudi Arabia. I despise that nation. Haven't we been propping them up long enough for cheap oil?

Canada and the United States have plenty of oil as does Russia. I'd rather go there than the Middle East. Those Theocrats can can argue over which variation of Islam is right until they wipe each other out over whose magic talking voice from the sky is right. We can go electric soon enough.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:51 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, I was in agreement with the criminal justice system reform legislation, too. I was one of the strongest "3 strikes you're out" guys 20-25 years ago, but once I saw first hand just how difficult it is for someone that has run afoul of the law to get straight again, it woke me up.

I actually agree with Trump on a lot of his immigration positions. I do agree on merit based applicants, oppose decriminalizing illegal border crossings, oppose eliminating ICE, and support strong border security...just not that hideous, costly, impractical, and largely symbolic border wall of his. What I really detest is his rhetoric, Demonizing all immigrants as a bunch of drug running thugs looking to do us harm.

I had to laugh at Idahawkman. When I pressed him for any issue which he disagreed with Trump on, he said that he didn't agree with his "Dreamers" approach, that if it was up to him, he'd teach them appropriate job skills then send them back to their countries of origin.

I don't like the way Trump conducts himself or the way others conduct themselves talking about him. Reasonable political conversation has left the building with Trump. His supporters mindlessly support him. His detractors mindlessly attack him. No one seems to be able to say what is he actually doing and how does it affect the nation. Maybe swing voters do that. I don't know. I only know that living in America with Trump as president feels no different than the last four or five administrations other than the rhetoric. Immigration was way worse under Bush/Cheney after 9/11. Like far, far, far worse. No one seems to care anymore. Bush Jr. has somehow turned himself into the goofy president no one really hates much any more because they hate Trump far worse. Yet his presidency was far corrupt and problematic.

Really, I've kind of given up on these parties. They are both business as usual. Both of them seem willing to drive us over a cliff for their ideology. People are worried about global warming, when debt is going to kill us at some point. If America goes bankrupt, I guarantee the world is going to fill that pain worse than climate change or this other trash. Yet no one wants to get this thing moving in the right direction at all if it means tightening the belt.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:52 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:That Iran deal was terrible. Not sure why you liked it. It was terrible when it happened. I'm glad he tore it up. Them building up cash to build a nuclear weapon 20 years from now was pointless.

Agreed on the Iran deal. It's one of the foreign policy decisions in which I've agreed with Trump on.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I want to get out of the Middle East. Saudi Arabia is using us against Iran. Iran is no real threat to us. I'm tired of being in that pathetic fight. Saudi Arabia and Iran can wipe each other out as far as I'm concerned. I'm tired of protecting Saudi Arabia. I despise that nation. Haven't we been propping them up long enough for cheap oil?

Canada and the United States have plenty of oil as does Russia. I'd rather go there than the Middle East. Those Theocrats can can argue over which variation of Islam is right until they wipe each other out over whose magic talking voice from the sky is right. We can go electric soon enough.

I don't think we should get out of the Middle East completely, but I would like to see a drastically reduced presence. Saudi Arabia has plenty of resources and a military presence capable of confronting Iran, and the Europeans should be more active in protecting their sources of oil. Sure, we may have been successful in developing our own oil resources, but the Middle East remains a key element in the world economy and it would cause a global recession if a major war broke out or something happened to suddenly cut off oil shipments to western Europe. As we've learned in Trump's failed trade war, world economies are intertwined and dependent on each other more so than they've ever been before. We can't just walk away and wash our hands of the problems over there.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:04 am

Know who else would love to see us get out of the middle east? Russia, and probaby China too. No one thinks it's great we are there, but it's too late now. To leave a vacuum and destabilize the fragile state it's already in would be frightening for the whole world. Only if you're truly naive can you believe otherwise.
I-5
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic