Coronavirus Hype

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: Coronavirus Hype

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:01 am

Hawktawk wrote:No president could possibly have Fd this up worse.

While I agree with you about Trump, there's a lot of blame that can be spread around on this. China has blood on their hands. Not only did the virus start in their country, they've lied about the extent of it and spread misinformation, fearing it would hurt their economy. The WHO is behind the curve, recommends social distancing at 1 meter, half what is proven to be effective, never recommended wearing masks. Our own CDC screwed around with the tests, insisting that we come up with our own instead of taking Europe up on their offer to use theirs, was tardy in getting their advisory out and let the Big Easy have their Mardi Gras without any warning sent to the Gov or Mayor. And as you noted, we have governors like DeSantis that refused to close his beaches and is now having to pay for it with the lives of the many seniors he has in the Sunshine State. Although he does have more resources that he can bring to the fight and of which he's largely failed to do promptly, the decisions regarding the behavior of the citizens rest with the state governors rather than the POTUS.

There are certain times when you want a liberal holding office and certain times you want a conservative in there. In the 80's with the cold war still raging and the economy in the toilet, Reagan was the perfect POTUS for the job. But in a crisis like this, it's better to have a liberal like Inslee running the show as they're more trusting of science and takes advice from his government without question or hesitation and don't give two hoots in hell about business, big or small. The ultra liberal left coast has been far more effective at fighting off this than the red and purple states.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:07 am

Hawktawk wrote:https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/3/14/21177509/coronavirus-trump-covid-19-pandemic-response

Trump and his sheeple cannot get away from his horrendous early failures on this, nor his dismissive comments to this day.History will not be kind.

It's not because of my Trump hate. Its because he behaves like this I and so many others hate him.We've always known he was totally unfit. It's clear to me now why my skin crawled when he was halfway down the escalator. Now the economy in the toilet, my friends and relatives are damaging their businesses, people in the medical community including my beautiful wife are re using masks in Covid hotspot Grant Co after being told for MONTHS not to wear masks if nobody had symptoms.They are 20% of cases. I saw masks on everyone in China months ago. They had to lie cause there are no masks.

Trump was briefed Jan 3rd. Trump orders ventilators to be made by GM in mid March and masks by 3M among others months after we knew this was coming ashore :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The peak will (hopefully)pass without any of them arriving in late april or early may at best . He says he won't wear a mask "doesn't see it for him, its optional derrrr" So his trumpanzees will ignore it, walk around without one and get the crap going again screwing us all who have made these sacrifices. I'm having a mask made and I absolutely will not go into any confined of populated space without it for the foreseeable future.

Now my medical professional wife who cant get tested without symptoms comes home to her 60 year old in so so shape with mild COPD husband.and if she has symptoms tests in Grant Co are taking a week to process in April.She has to go to work. I have to come home. This hits home.

No I dont give the orange baboon much credit here guys, sorry.I want him to go to NYC and pull a shift without a mask and take Jarred with him.

No president could possibly have Fd this up worse.

I've already read the hit jobs on Trump. I don't much agree with them. The entire world besides one or two nations are in the same boat.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:35 am

RiverDog wrote:While I agree with you about Trump, there's a lot of blame that can be spread around on this. China has blood on their hands. Not only did the virus start in their country, they've lied about the extent of it and spread misinformation, fearing it would hurt their economy. The WHO is behind the curve, recommends social distancing at 1 meter, half what is proven to be effective, never recommended wearing masks. Our own CDC screwed around with the tests, insisting that we come up with our own instead of taking Europe up on their offer to use theirs, was tardy in getting their advisory out and let the Big Easy have their Mardi Gras without any warning sent to the Gov or Mayor. And as you noted, we have governors like DeSantis that refused to close his beaches and is now having to pay for it with the lives of the many seniors he has in the Sunshine State. Although he does have more resources that he can bring to the fight and of which he's largely failed to do promptly, the decisions regarding the behavior of the citizens rest with the state governors rather than the POTUS.

There are certain times when you want a liberal holding office and certain times you want a conservative in there. In the 80's with the cold war still raging and the economy in the toilet, Reagan was the perfect POTUS for the job. But in a crisis like this, it's better to have a liberal like Inslee running the show as they're more trusting of science and takes advice from his government without question or hesitation and don't give two hoots in hell about business, big or small. The ultra liberal left coast has been far more effective at fighting off this than the red and purple states.

We'll see how they all handle it at the end of it call. I for one would prefer a person that looked at both the well being from sickness and the economy. They are linked heavily as even now those with more money are generally getting better care, higher survival rates, and the like. The well run, well funded economies of most nations are dealing with this better than the weaker, more third world economies. So there is a definite balance on the need to protect people and the need to get them back to work. We need someone in office who understands both.

About the only thing I'll agree with on Trump at the moment (as long as he keeps following the advice of medical people, not necessarily the ones speaking as they are not perfect either) is he's not a very comforting guy. His personality is not great at calming people, uniting people, or making people feel like he knows what he's doing even if he is doing what needs to be done. He doesn't convey it well. He can't act as other than he is personality wise even in these dark times. I doubt many people care for that.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:About the only thing I'll agree with on Trump at the moment (as long as he keeps following the advice of medical people, not necessarily the ones speaking as they are not perfect either) is he's not a very comforting guy. His personality is not great at calming people, uniting people, or making people feel like he knows what he's doing even if he is doing what needs to be done. He doesn't convey it well. He can't act as other than he is personality wise even in these dark times. I doubt many people care for that.

Trump's only going halfway on this. Yes, he's following the advice of the medical people, but he's had to be dragged there kicking and screaming all the way. It would save lives and get us over this crisis quicker if he put himself behind his medical advisors 100%. Wear a mask with a MAGA logo across the front of it for all I care. From where I stand, I can see lots of his supporters that kiss the ground he walks on that are not only doubting the guidelines, they're outright flaunting them by holding coronavirus parties and mocking those that they see wearing masks or standing 6 feet apart in a line. He needs to use his bully pulpit, ie his Twitter account, to tell people to take these guidelines dead serious and to get with the program.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:21 pm

double.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:27 pm

RiverDog wrote:Trump's only going halfway on this. Yes, he's following the advice of the medical people, but he's had to be dragged there kicking and screaming all the way. It would save lives and get us over this crisis quicker if he put himself behind his medical advisors 100%. Wear a mask with a MAGA logo across the front of it for all I care. From where I stand, I can see lots of his supporters that kiss the ground he walks on that are not only doubting the guidelines, they're outright flaunting them by holding coronavirus parties and mocking those that they see wearing masks or standing 6 feet apart in a line. He needs to use his bully pulpit, ie his Twitter account, to tell people to take these guidelines dead serious and to get with the program.

I don't think it would save any more lives at all. I think Trump chatter isn't doing anything to alter how things are being handled. I think there is a lot of panic and fearmongering going on. I don't know how you live, but I don't listen to a president for this kind of stuff. If anywhere near to a large percentage of Americans are listening to Trump blather about his opinions over listening to Fauci, and even more important their doctor or body, then maybe they need to leave the gene pool. It's been that way for me my entire life. I'm smarter than a most of the presidents this nation has ever had. I could not imagine listening to them for medical advice or really advice on much. Political speak is amongst the dumbest, most watered down, and 8th grade education speaking prepared by speechwriters rubbish I've ever seen. If people are following that to their doom like someone following an idiot over a cliff, then that is fine by me. Sorry to be callous, but it's just true.

All I know is this virus is all over the place as to it's impact on various nations. It doesn't seem to have a lot of rhyme or reason to it as many nations much nearer to China are less effected even though they started lockdowns later, different states are affected differently, and areas in the same region like Europe even though they are taking different measures.

I'm going by the data I see. If Trump messed up, then so did most of the world barring a handful of places. I guess most of the world is run by Trump-like leaders and even most of our states. I guess Andrew Cuomo is the worst governor in the nation because his city got hit the worst. Yet I"m pretty certain you didn't want Trump instituting lockdowns like India, China, and The Philippines. The world got caught with its pants down save for a few places like South Korea, Japan, and Austria.

The data I'm seeing is real mixed. For example, Japan is apparently freaking out even though their cases and medical system are fine. I wonder if the media is driving the panic because their numbers are not terrible at all.

Then you've got Sweden who did almost nothing and seems to be doing fine. And The Netherlands. Almost nothing, not blowing up.

This virus's effect and the reactions are all over the place. I'll tell if you this thing is slowed or halted at around 20000 deaths, I will be relieved and move on. Then I imagine people can get back to the usual bashing politics and figuring out who is most to blame for a once in a century pandemic.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:08 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I don't think it would save any more lives at all. I think Trump chatter isn't doing anything to alter how things are being handled. I think there is a lot of panic and fearmongering going on. I don't know how you live, but I don't listen to a president for this kind of stuff. If anywhere near to a large percentage of Americans are listening to Trump blather about his opinions over listening to Fauci, and even more important their doctor or body, then maybe they need to leave the gene pool. It's been that way for me my entire life. I'm smarter than a most of the presidents this nation has ever had. I could not imagine listening to them for medical advice or really advice on much. Political speak is amongst the dumbest, most watered down, and 8th grade education speaking prepared by speechwriters rubbish I've ever seen. If people are following that to their doom like someone following an idiot over a cliff, then that is fine by me. Sorry to be callous, but it's just true.

No one's talking about taking Trump's advice. What I'm talking about is him standing behind his people. He needs to grease those people's wheels, tell the country how smart they are, read us their resumes, tell us how we need to all be listening to them and doing what they say. A good boss will make his staff into heros, pump them up in front of their subordinates. When Fauci and his surgeon general gives a recommendation to wear masks, he needs to set the example and wear one, too, at least for as much as is practical for a POTUS.

But that's not the type of person Trump is. Trump can't stand to share the spotlight with anyone. It's his show, and he's the star of the show. I can remember one of the cast members from the TV series "Star Trek" complaining that William Shatner insisted that he get a certain percentage of the dialog, that he wouldn't approve of potential plots that featured someone other than him being the central character of an episode. That's the type of person Trump is. It's all about him.

Aseahawkfan wrote:All I know is this virus is all over the place as to it's impact on various nations. It doesn't seem to have a lot of rhyme or reason to it as many nations much nearer to China are less effected even though they started lockdowns later, different states are affected differently, and areas in the same region like Europe even though they are taking different measures.

I know you can't view the NYT or else I'd post a link, but I saw a very dramatic graphic showing a map of the US with the average mile per person driven in each county in each state. They took it from amanous cell phone data. The southeast, primarily red states like LA, MI,AL, GA, and SC were by far the worst. Much of it is because their governors, mostly Republican, were late in shuttering businesses and issuing social distance guidelines. Trump could have had a big impact with those folks had he come out stronger than his luke warm statements,

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm going by the data I see. If Trump messed up, then so did most of the world barring a handful of places. I guess most of the world is run by Trump-like leaders and even most of our states. I guess Andrew Cuomo is the worst governor in the nation because his city got hit the worst. Yet I"m pretty certain you didn't want Trump instituting lockdowns like India, China, and The Philippines. The world got caught with its pants down save for a few places like South Korea, Japan, and Austria.

The data I'm seeing is real mixed. For example, Japan is apparently freaking out even though their cases and medical system are fine. I wonder if the media is driving the panic because their numbers are not terrible at all.

Then you've got Sweden who did almost nothing and seems to be doing fine. And The Netherlands. Almost nothing, not blowing up.

This virus's effect and the reactions are all over the place. I'll tell if you this thing is slowed or halted at around 20000 deaths, I will be relieved and move on. Then I imagine people can get back to the usual bashing politics and figuring out who is most to blame for a once in a century pandemic.

We'll have to wait until this thing is over and the post mortem is completed before we can say for sure what worked and what didn't, which state was effective in stopping the spread and which ones, like Cuomo in NY, had to deal with circumstances beyond their control, like an abnormally high population density. All I can tell you is that the Trump supporters are the people least likely to be taking this thing seriously and abide by the social distancing recommendations.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:55 pm

RiverDog wrote:No one's talking about taking Trump's advice. What I'm talking about is him standing behind his people. He needs to grease those people's wheels, tell the country how smart they are, read us their resumes, tell us how we need to all be listening to them and doing what they say. A good boss will make his staff into heros, pump them up in front of their subordinates. When Fauci and his surgeon general gives a recommendation to wear masks, he needs to set the example and wear one, too, at least for as much as is practical for a POTUS.

Now you're hung up on the mask thing. As far as the other stuff, it's already been done. Not sure how many times Trump has to call them very smart people, talk them up, and the like before you admit he's done exactly what you asked. I don't even listen to it any longer. Once you've done it once, it becomes unneccesary.

I think you are overlooking the press doing their best to fan the flames of dissent between Trump and the doctor staff over everything from masks to hydroxchloroquine which wasn't Trump's idea. You need to realize there are doctors other than Fauci and Birx to listen to. I hope because they are the face of this thing you don't think they are the sole opinion on it and all else should be ignored. Because that isn't the case at all. Other doctors and medical people are advising on these matters.

But that's not the type of person Trump is. Trump can't stand to share the spotlight with anyone. It's his show, and he's the star of the show. I can remember one of the cast members from the TV series "Star Trek" complaining that William Shatner insisted that he get a certain percentage of the dialog, that he wouldn't approve of potential plots that featured someone other than him being the central character of an episode. That's the type of person Trump is. It's all about him.

Sure, he likes the spotlight. I've watched a few of these briefings. He does talk his people up. I imagine he disagrees with some of them.

I know you can't view the NYT or else I'd post a link, but I saw a very dramatic graphic showing a map of the US with the average mile per person driven in each county in each state. They took it from amanous cell phone data. The southeast, primarily red states like LA, MI,AL, GA, and SC were by far the worst. Much of it is because their governors, mostly Republican, were late in shuttering businesses and issuing social distance guidelines. Trump could have had a big impact with those folks had he come out stronger than his luke warm statements,

Speculation at best. The New York Times is about as accurate on Trump as reading Fox News speaking on Democrats. I knew you were reading article after article confirming your bias against Trump.

I am watching the John Hopkins map. That is the most accurate. It is pure data, absent commentary or speculation. By pure data, New York is worse than these other places. Lousiana is hit fairly hard because of Mardi Gras. Overall, the South is so far doing better than New York because population density is your enemy in a pandemic. Not because Cuomo is a bad governor or Trump is a bad president.

We'll have to wait until this thing is over and the post mortem is completed before we can say for sure what worked and what didn't, which state was effective in stopping the spread and which ones, like Cuomo in NY, had to deal with circumstances beyond their control, like an abnormally high population density. All I can tell you is that the Trump supporters are the people least likely to be taking this thing seriously and abide by the social distancing recommendations.

And young people. I know plenty of Trump supporters taking this seriously and scared like everyone else. Maybe the Trump supporters in your area aren't taking it seriously, but not the ones I know.

And I'd bet money if you're talking about politicians, you're reading every confirmation bias article supporting your assertion about Trump rather than avoiding that trash meant to sow dissent during a pandemic. I gloss over that trash at this point. Trump hit jobs. Just like I don't read the Fox News crap trying to take shots at Pelosi or other Dems.

Zero interest in lies and political exploitation during a pandemic. You have at it if that is what you feel like spending your time doing. I'll post useful data from now on. You and Hawktawk seem to have your minds made up and want to join in on more Trump bashing during a once in a century pandemic as though the narcissist has power over viruses. I'm sorry, but that idea is total rubbish.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Speculation at best. The New York Times is about as accurate on Trump as reading Fox News speaking on Democrats. I knew you were reading article after article confirming your bias against Trump.

The movement of people as represented on the NYT graphic is not speculation. It's based on data reported to them by a company that tracks cell phone usage. Here is the link to their website:

https://www.cuebiq.com/

The location data, from Cuebiq, a data intelligence firm, measures the range that people travel each day. It cannot predict where outbreaks will spread, and it does not track how many interactions people had while they were traveling.

The divide in travel patterns, based on anonymous cellphone data from 15 million people, suggests that Americans in wide swaths of the West, Northeast and Midwest have complied with orders from state and local officials to stay home. Disease experts who reviewed the results say those reductions in travel — to less than a mile a day, on average, from about five miles — may be enough to sharply curb the spread of the coronavirus in those regions, at least for now.

In areas where public officials have resisted or delayed stay-at-home orders, people changed their habits far less. Though travel distances in those places have fallen drastically, during the week of March 23 they were still typically more than three times those in areas that had imposed lockdown orders, the analysis shows.

Other areas reduced travel weeks ago, the data show, especially in California, New York and Washington, which were the first to experience large outbreaks. Most people have essentially stopped traveling in those places for weeks, the data show, a sign that they are taking the measures seriously.

If you had the ability to see the map I'm talking about, you couldn't help but to be impressed. People in an area bordered by Texas and Oklahoma on the west to Virginia and Florida in the east to Kentucky and Virginia on the north, the southeast, 13 states, 9 of which have Republican governors and all but one that voted for Trump in 2016, that hesitated imposing social distancing measures, were traveling a lot more than people in other parts of the country, including states like Montana and the Dakotas with much wider distances to cover. Unless you can invalidate the cell phone data, the conclusions are inescapable. There's no other way to explain those discrepancies.

And as far as your little dig about my reading "article after article" of liberal publications, that is a "kill the messenger" defense that I'd expect out of Idahawkman, not from you. I have over 30 sources on my personalized news feed, including Fox, Brietbart, The WSJ, The National Review, and the NY Post and have reference articles from those sources in this forum.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:14 pm

RiverDog wrote:The movement of people as represented on the NYT graphic is not speculation. It's based on data reported to them by a company that tracks cell phone usage. Here is the link to their website:

https://www.cuebiq.com/

The location data, from Cuebiq, a data intelligence firm, measures the range that people travel each day. It cannot predict where outbreaks will spread, and it does not track how many interactions people had while they were traveling.

The divide in travel patterns, based on anonymous cellphone data from 15 million people, suggests that Americans in wide swaths of the West, Northeast and Midwest have complied with orders from state and local officials to stay home. Disease experts who reviewed the results say those reductions in travel — to less than a mile a day, on average, from about five miles — may be enough to sharply curb the spread of the coronavirus in those regions, at least for now.

In areas where public officials have resisted or delayed stay-at-home orders, people changed their habits far less. Though travel distances in those places have fallen drastically, during the week of March 23 they were still typically more than three times those in areas that had imposed lockdown orders, the analysis shows.

Other areas reduced travel weeks ago, the data show, especially in California, New York and Washington, which were the first to experience large outbreaks. Most people have essentially stopped traveling in those places for weeks, the data show, a sign that they are taking the measures seriously.

If you had the ability to see the map I'm talking about, you couldn't help but to be impressed. People in an area bordered by Texas and Oklahoma on the west to Virginia and Florida in the east to Kentucky and Virginia on the north, the southeast, 13 states, 9 of which have Republican governors and all but one that voted for Trump in 2016, that hesitated imposing social distancing measures, were traveling a lot more than people in other parts of the country, including states like Montana and the Dakotas with much wider distances to cover. Unless you can invalidate the cell phone data, the conclusions are inescapable. There's no other way to explain those discrepancies.

And as far as your little dig about my reading "article after article" of liberal publications, that is a "kill the messenger" defense that I'd expect out of Idahawkman, not from you. I have over 30 sources on my personalized news feed, including Fox, Brietbart, The WSJ, The National Review, and the NY Post and have reference articles from those sources in this forum.

I am still not seeing the relevance of your data as other than a means to justify your opinion of Trump and his supporters. The liberal states are getting hit worse like New Jersey and New York, right? And they're engaged in heavy social distancing and stronger measures more quickly? You don't seem to get you are watching a giant experiment that hasn't been done before on how to deal with a global pandemic. That is why your blame of Trump is so ridiculous to me. This is literally a never been seen before on this scale situation that is being used to test different methods of how to combat it. There is no unified response to it and shouldn't be because there is no sure way to stop it or control it or consensus on the best way to go about it.

Like I told you, certain nations are doing like the Republican states and are just fine. Sweden, no real restrictions. Netherlands, no real restrictions. Japan, no real restrictions. All doing as well or better than us. You're going to have to wait and see how all these measures worked. We won't know that until this thing is mostly done. Then we can check and see whose plans worked the best, whose economies stayed mostly solvent, why certain things happened like Italy and Spain, and why Germany who did less than us is mostly fine. Basically, we will have to review worldwide response and see what worked best and where and why, for future planning.

That's the part you're not seeming to accept. It isn't a one size fits all world. And it isn't being affected the same. That will have to be figured out after this is done.

So some map showing traveling is not relevant unless you have also have supporting case data showing that it caused worse outbreaks. Right now, I want to see whose method worked better. If the Netherlands and Sweden whose experts told them to impose minimal restrictions and isolate older folks worked better, caused less death, and kept their economy more solvent, and the data clearly shows that then that is a better method than we used. So if they traveled more, then add it to the data pool and let's how it affected the more wide open Southern States.

But as far as what I believe they will find at the end of this is the following:
1. Population Density requires more social distancing and stronger measures than less population dense areas and faster.

2. Masks (even non-medical) help and should be ramped up for all even if non-medical masks. They aren't essential, but are helpful.

3. More spread out states and areas can better maintain normalcy if they practice caution than population dense states and cities. Industry and life in those states should be maintained with caution.

4. The measures taken here were too strong, panic-driven, and poorly thought out causing more economic destruction than prevented deaths.

5. Older populations living with younger generations is a huge risk.

6. Nations with better economies and technology will handle this better than those with less healthy economies and lower tech like Spain and Italy. I still can't believe Spain and Italy are rated so highly as I5 listed. That seems nuts to me. It just shows the divide between liberalism's belief that widespread availability is somehow better than technology through capitalism whose tech eventually gets passed down to the lower income groups, which I believe is a superior option long-term.

That is what I think they will find at the end of this. We will see. And I won't blame a single person right or left for the reasoning as you have to over-react, then learn, then plan better next time when a once in a lifetime pandemic occurs.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:03 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I am still not seeing the relevance of your data as other than a means to justify your opinion of Trump and his supporters. The liberal states are getting hit worse like New Jersey and New York, right?..Like I told you, certain nations are doing like the Republican states and are just fine..So some map showing traveling is not relevant unless you have also have supporting case data showing that it caused worse outbreaks.

The point wasn't which states are getting hit the hardest. It's which states are traveling less, which is a very strong indicator of how well they are abiding by social distancing guidelines. My argument is that the R's/Conservatives/Deplorables, or what ever you want to call them were less likely to abide by the guidelines than the D's/liberals/bed wetters. It has NOTHING to do with what states are doing better controlling the virus.

Like I have said, we won't know for sure what worked and what didn't or which state was better than that state at controlling the virus until this is all said and done. This virus could be with us for awhile. We might just be seeing Act 1 of a 3 part play. Washington could be doing very well in Act 1 but we could get hammered in Act 2.

Aseahawkfan wrote:But as far as what I believe they will find at the end of this is the following:
1. Population Density requires more social distancing and stronger measures than less population dense areas and faster.
Agreed.

Aseahawkfan wrote:2. Masks (even non-medical) help and should be ramped up for all even if non-medical masks. They aren't essential, but are helpful.
Agreed.

Aseahawkfan wrote:3. More spread out states and areas can better maintain normalcy if they practice caution than population dense states and cities. Industry and life in those states should be maintained with caution.
Not sure about that.

Aseahawkfan wrote:4. The measures taken here were too strong, panic-driven, and poorly thought out causing more economic destruction than prevented deaths.

Disagree. The measures were a day late and a dollar short. We were tardy in way too many areas about way too many things and not enough people got the message and followed the guidelines.

Aseahawkfan wrote:5. Older populations living with younger generations is a huge risk.
For a virus like this, I agree.

Aseahawkfan wrote:6. Nations with better economies and technology will handle this better than those with less healthy economies and lower tech like Spain and Italy. I still can't believe Spain and Italy are rated so highly as I5 listed. That seems nuts to me. It just shows the divide between liberalism's belief that widespread availability is somehow better than technology through capitalism whose tech eventually gets passed down to the lower income groups, which I believe is a superior option long-term.

While I agree with your first sentence, I don't know if there is a difference between competing types of health care systems. A good example is South Korea. They have over 3 times the bed space per capita than we have. That is not a reflection on the type of health care system we have as we are much more efficient in our use of hospitals than South Korea. At least for that part of the equation, South Korea lucked out by not operating their hospitals as efficiently as we operate ours.

There are some other variables in this equation that we don't know yet. Here's a couple: Mass transit. How much did it contribute? Are subways and light rail with more stops worse than busses that have fewer passengers getting on/off? Would it have made sense for NYC to shut down their subway system and tell everyone to either camp out in their offices or work from home? Temperature and humidity: Did the virus spread faster in cold, relatively dry climates like the Northeast and Northwest than it did in a hot, moist area like New Orleans? Were there any other transport mechanisms besides human-to-human?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:56 pm

RiverDog wrote:The point wasn't which states are getting hit the hardest. It's which states are traveling less, which is a very strong indicator of how well they are abiding by social distancing guidelines. My argument is that the R's/Conservatives/Deplorables, or what ever you want to call them were less likely to abide by the guidelines than the D's/liberals/bed wetters. It has NOTHING to do with what states are doing better controlling the virus.

Like I have said, we won't know for sure what worked and what didn't or which state was better than that state at controlling the virus until this is all said and done. This virus could be with us for awhile. We might just be seeing Act 1 of a 3 part play. Washington could be doing very well in Act 1 but we could get hammered in Act 2.

Doubtful.

Disagree. The measures were a day late and a dollar short. We were tardy in way too many areas about way too many things and not enough people got the message and followed the guidelines.

The data does not represent this. This thing was going to spread. And you somehow think it wasn't, which is ridiculous. We had 400300 flights between the United States and China way back when before anyone locked down including South Korea. We have huge contact with China. There was no stopping this as the entire world is finding out.

I have zero idea why you keep on pushing this falsehood after I clearly showed you that we were infected before Italy had its first case. Just an utter lie you keep pushing.

While I agree with your first sentence, I don't know if there is a difference between competing types of health care systems. A good example is South Korea. They have over 3 times the bed space per capita than we have. That is not a reflection on the type of health care system we have as we are much more efficient in our use of hospitals than South Korea. At least for that part of the equation, South Korea lucked out by not operating their hospitals as efficiently as we operate ours.

South Korea has advanced tech and is a powerful economy. I'm having trouble seeing the point you are attempting to make.

I'm talking about the focus on rating healthcare by the World Health Organization which rated Italy as a great healthcare system while rating Germany lower. It is ridiculous to rate by availability and put that higher than technology.

There are some other variables in this equation that we don't know yet. Here's a couple: Mass transit. How much did it contribute? Are subways and light rail with more stops worse than busses that have fewer passengers getting on/off? Would it have made sense for NYC to shut down their subway system and tell everyone to either camp out in their offices or work from home? Temperature and humidity: Did the virus spread faster in cold, relatively dry climates like the Northeast and Northwest than it did in a hot, moist area like New Orleans? Were there any other transport mechanisms besides human-to-human?

Gee, did I not mention that a hundred times? Man, you ignored the vast majority of my post because you want to continue your anti-Trump rubbish.

We were not a day late or a dollar short to the once a century global pandemic. You have no idea where this will end or what is going on. You're reading article after article of confirmation bias to join the anti-Trump party.

And it's not data driven, it's just cherry picking after the fact. If you're going to ignore factual information like dates of first infection of the United States compared to Italy and other facts that show we did not have this advance notice you keep trying to claim we did, then there isn't much of a conversation to be had. There is one person pushing a lie about us starting late, then there is the real data showing we were infected prior to Italy, had no advance notice, and had far more contact with China than nearly every other nation already infected as indicated by flights with China and the like.

The reality you can't seem to accept is that we were going to get hit hard no matter what we did. It wouldn't have mattered if we had shut down the same day as China announced it, the s*** had probably already been there a while and we already had people coming from there. Did you even read the story of the guy infected? He returned from China prior to January 21st, didn't show up the hospital until day 4, and didn't get serious until later. Do you think this was the one guy who was sick with a 20 to 50 % asymptomatic rate? Do you think that? We just had one guy sick back from Wuhan in Everett with this come back from China in Washington and that's what blew it up all over the country? If you believe that, you don't understand how this works. We likely had hundreds of people in this country returned from China spreading this in early January.

And if all you want to do is blame Trump, I'll leave you and Hawktawk to it. If clear data showing you're wrong doesn't change your mind, then nothing much will. I don't have time to waste for that. So you, Hawk, and whoever else wants to can use the forum as your anti-Trump Party to blame him for everything wrong with the country if that makes you feel better, I'll find somewhere else to bide my time.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:22 pm

You're grossly misrepresenting my posts. Time to move on. Let's start a different thread.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:43 pm

This video is referencing an earlier comment I made about states having to compete with each other and with FEMA for the right to purchase ventilators from China, thereby driving the price of each ventilator up. Is this is the right solution to public health?

https://youtu.be/d5NOGAxLBfo
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:18 pm

I don't know what's going on. Unless I see the actual inner workings myself, I'm not making assumptions. I keep hearing the States saying The Fed isn't helping them while at the same time reading that we're not overwhelmed and states are sending ventilators to other states. I can't help but think that The Fed shouldn't be sending you ventilators until you need them, so why exactly is the media complaining about The Fed sending them stuff unless they need it? I feel that it is just more political infighting playing out during a global pandemic. It's tiresome.

Manufacturing is ramping up to get materials out as fast they can. Even on Amazon I can't find much right now because it has all been designated for hospitals and medical personnel.

Things need to go where they're needed, not because some panicked governor is begging for them and publically whining.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:25 pm

RiverDog wrote:You're grossly misrepresenting my posts. Time to move on. Let's start a different thread.

So be it. I just know I'm tired of the politics. I'm ok discussing what is going on, but not if we 're bashing anyone Republican or Democrat. I don't have an interest. I want to look at data, solutions, and general information. The political grandstanding, attacks, and other BS are ridiculous. I'm glad the majority of medical professionals are steering clear of the idiot blame game the two parties and the media are engaged in. All I want to do is keep up with how we fix this and whether or not it is starting to get under control and how soon we can get the economy somewhat moving again so we don't end up in Homeless Socialist Land here in Washington State because too many people lost their jobs. It's bad enough how much voters are willing to support handout culture with heavy taxes in Washington State when the economy is good much less how much they will support it when the economy is bad.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:41 pm

Things need to go where they're needed, not because some panicked governor is begging for them and publically whining.

That's the most simplistic statement I've heard yet from you. Who is the arbiter or what constitutes whining vs legitimate argument? He's literally asking the Feds to handle the sourcing for all the states, and not leave it up to each state to fend for itself and up driving up bidding wars. I get you're tired, maybe get more rest.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:50 pm

It's super awesome when your left wing media is doing their best to drive a wedge between your top doctor and your president. I see the left wing's unsubtle attempts to bait Trump into firing Fauci and get Fauci to say something to attack Trump with has borne fruit and they plan to hammer at it to drive a wedge between Fauci and Trump during a global pandemic. Man, the media is so trustworthy and responsible, I can't believe they would do something like this. Now we'll see if The Narcissist takes the bait and screws himself over by getting rid of a guy doing a good job helping him fix this. I hope he doesn't, but we'll see.

If anyone is wondering why I despise the media, left and right, well, this is why. Doing your best to goad the president into bad actions by pursuing stories and attacks during a global pandemic is irresponsible and dangerous behavior during a global pandemic. I hope if Americans didn't see it before, I hope they can see now clearly that the left wing media is as bad as Fox News, as untrustworthy, and as willing to sacrifice truth and the nation in their pursuit of their agenda and political power.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:10 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:It's super awesome when your left wing media is doing their best to drive a wedge between your top doctor and your president. I see the left wing's unsubtle attempts to bait Trump into firing Fauci and get Fauci to say something to attack Trump with has borne fruit and they plan to hammer at it to drive a wedge between Fauci and Trump during a global pandemic. Man, the media is so trustworthy and responsible, I can't believe they would do something like this. Now we'll see if The Narcissist takes the bait and screws himself over by getting rid of a guy doing a good job helping him fix this. I hope he doesn't, but we'll see.

If anyone is wondering why I despise the media, left and right, well, this is why. Doing your best to goad the president into bad actions by pursuing stories and attacks during a global pandemic is irresponsible and dangerous behavior during a global pandemic. I hope if Americans didn't see it before, I hope they can see now clearly that the left wing media is as bad as Fox News, as untrustworthy, and as willing to sacrifice truth and the nation in their pursuit of their agenda and political power.

I agree, it was a set up question by CNN, but Fauci stubbed his toe by answering it and not framing it very well. He admitted today that.. "Hypothetical questions can sometimes get you into some difficulty," Fauci told reporters at the White House coronavirus task force briefing on Monday. His comments were misinterpreted. It was a poor question by CNN and an equally poor response by Fauci.

Having said that, I have to admire the way Fauci has handled himself. He's literally dancing on the head of a pin. He is working with an incredibly difficult boss and has been in countless ad lib live interviews with no opportunity to rehearse his answers. He's only human, and was bound to make a mistake or gaffe at some point.

As indicated by his re-tweets of a Fire Fauci tweet, Trump would love to can him, but he can't. Fauci has been in his job for 36 years and has an incredible amount of popularity since this crisis first broke. Surveys show him at 70+% positive rating. Pols in both parties have a huge amount of respect for him. If Trump were to fire him he can kiss goodbye his chances of re-election. It would touch off a firestorm and would be interpreted immediately as Trump surrounding himself with people that will tell him what he wants to hear and nothing else. Trump knows that, or else he would have fired him long before now.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Good post, Riv. However, he was not 'literally' dancing on the head of a pin. I know you meant he was figuratively. People use that word too often not realizing what it means.

I agree that both the left and right media is into 'gotcha', but there is zero excuse for how this loser president responds. Fauci, on the other hand, always takes the correct route to his responses, whether the left or right likes it or not. In my opinion, no one can fire him, because he's really the only one that is trustworthy on that podium.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:48 pm

I like Fauci and I hope Trump isn't dumb enough to really fire the guy because the media is baiting him. Hopefully somewhere in that narcissistic brain of his he can see that Fauci is a smart guy who is doing well. He can't have the media bait him into stupid firings during a global pandemic. Firing your chief of staff or energy secretary during good times can be overlooked. Firing a very intelligent expert on infectious disease during a global pandemic not so much. We'll see if the left can bait The Narcissist into a move that might be political suicide as they would like.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:50 pm

I-5 wrote:Good post, Riv. However, he was not 'literally' dancing on the head of a pin. I know you meant he was figuratively. People use that word too often not realizing what it means.

I agree that both the left and right media is into 'gotcha', but there is zero excuse for how this loser president responds. Fauci, on the other hand, always takes the correct route to his responses, whether the left or right likes it or not. In my opinion, no one can fire him, because he's really the only one that is trustworthy on that podium.

And the lady Birx, I'm really impressed by the medical establishment and their ability to respond to this sensibly, carefully, and with the best intentions for the public around the world. Just goes to show people in medicine do it for more than the money. They're putting their lives on the line big in this time, but they are always putting their lives on the line helping people whether it is war, disease, or a disasters. Medicine is a truly altruistic profession with many people who like to help others with big brains and hearts.

That's why I halfway listen to the politicians and media and focus mostly on medical people. This is the most amazing thing I've seen in my life to be able to get so much information so quickly from so many sharp people on the Youtube. It's brain candy for people that enjoy learning.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:38 pm

I'm going to safely assume everyone on this forum listens to the medical people first and last, and take everything any politician says with a grain of salt.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I like Fauci and I hope Trump isn't dumb enough to really fire the guy because the media is baiting him. Hopefully somewhere in that narcissistic brain of his he can see that Fauci is a smart guy who is doing well. He can't have the media bait him into stupid firings during a global pandemic. Firing your chief of staff or energy secretary during good times can be overlooked. Firing a very intelligent expert on infectious disease during a global pandemic not so much. We'll see if the left can bait The Narcissist into a move that might be political suicide as they would like.

For all his faults, Trump is a savvy politician. He knows he can't fire Fauci, at least not now. The guy is a rock star.

What will be interesting is when we get to the end of the month. Fauci has repeatedly said that the virus will set the timetable. So what happens if this current improvement stalls or gets worse and Fauci comes out against re-starting the economy? Does he ignore him? And if he does take Fauci's advice and delays the start-up, how will Trump's supporters handle it?

It's game time for Trump. He's not going to be able to hide behind the ruse of fake news, blame it on Obama, twist the facts, or have a Republican Senate cover for his mistakes. If he screws this up, if he advocates restarting the economy prematurely and against the advice of people like Dr. Fauci and the virus comes back and kills another 100K, he's not only going to lose big in November, he could go down as the worst to have ever held the office.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:57 pm

I-5 wrote:I'm going to safely assume everyone on this forum listens to the medical people first and last, and take everything any politician says with a grain of salt.

Yup.

There are a few things in this state that I think could be changed. For example, why ban fishing? For the most part, it's a solitary activity. Have you ever tried to cast a fishing line standing within 6' of another fisherman? Same goes with boating. What's the difference between a few guys in a boat and a few guys in a car? Or why are they banning residential home construction? How may people building a house do you see within 6 feet of each other?

They aren't going to be able to confine people forever, especially now as the weather gets warmer. I agree with making a quick, cover all decision as was done in March. Error on the side of safety. But it's time to go back and add some common sense to these restrictions.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Just more info on why Trump had trouble using the DPA to get PPE into the United States. Items are produced abroad. There was a huge supply shock when nearly every nation in the world started increasing their PPE orders. US couldn't use the DPA for factors in Latin America, China, and Europe. So if you want to blame someone for this problem, blame past administrations who outsourced even the manufacturing of PPE to other places. Even now none of you anti-Trump folks will admit that he is at least trying to bring some manufacturing back to America. And you all just accepted the leftist articles claiming Trump was the one not doing things, when it was a major supply shock for the entire world that held up the PPE from getting to us.

On March 20, 2020 New York City mayor Bill de Blasio requested 3 million N95 masks from federal Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. According to Jennifer Ehrlich, a 3M spokeswoman, the masks are manufactured in Latin America, China and Europe, as well as the United States. Ehrlich said the "Manufacturing capacities of specific plants and products, as well as specific sales volume and customer information, are 3M confidential information that we do not publicly disclose."[71]

On March 21, 2020, 3M said most of the masks made at their Shanghai plant had been sold prior to the outbreak, but could not confirm when exports would resume.[72] When Mike Pence visited a 3M factory in Minnesota in March he was told that 35 million masks were available for healthcare workers, however, in April the White House learned that some of those masks were destined for non-US markets. The company says that domestic production was increased from 22 million to 35 million, with the increase being allocated for domestic distribution.[73]

On April 3, 3M was asked by the U.S. government to stop exporting U.S.-made N95 respirator masks to Canada and to Latin American countries. CEO Mike Roman, in a statement released to the public, expressed both humanitarian concerns and concerns other countries would retaliate by withholding other necessary supplies or medications to fight Covid-19.[74] After President Donald Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to acquire the respirators, 3M agreed to import 166.5 million respirators over the next three months, mostly from its factory in China. The company issued a statement saying this arrangement with the Trump administration would allow them to continue sending the U.S.-made respirators to Canada and Latin America.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri May 01, 2020 5:52 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Just more info on why Trump had trouble using the DPA to get PPE into the United States. Items are produced abroad. There was a huge supply shock when nearly every nation in the world started increasing their PPE orders. US couldn't use the DPA for factors in Latin America, China, and Europe. So if you want to blame someone for this problem, blame past administrations who outsourced even the manufacturing of PPE to other places. Even now none of you anti-Trump folks will admit that he is at least trying to bring some manufacturing back to America. And you all just accepted the leftist articles claiming Trump was the one not doing things, when it was a major supply shock for the entire world that held up the PPE from getting to us.

Masks are just one part of the saga. There's also face shields, gowns, ventilators, etc. And the DPA does more than help in N95 mask production:

The (DPA) act would give the Trump administration the authority to override companies’ existing contracts and to direct supplies to hot spots like New York City or Seattle. It could also help mobilize funds for retooling factories, refitting pharmacy drive-throughs into testing sites and ramping up production of an eventual vaccine.

Trump didn't even recognize that there was a PPE shortage. He's said in press conferences that he hadn't heard of any shortages, called PPE shortages "fake news", told governors that he's "not a supply clerk" and told them to fend for themselves. The result is that states have to compete against each other. There is no coordinated effort, no one directing limited supplies to where they are needed most. Manufacturers that did not have access to information or being able to see the big picture, were left to triage supplies, deciding for themselves where to send them. Here's a letter a frustrated CEO of a medical supplier wrote to the Adminstrator of FEMA, dated March 24th:

RE: Recommendation to Centralize Procurement and Allocation Decision-making of Ventilators

Regarding the distribution of devices, there are two fundamental challenges. First, there are problems in allocating devices to health care providers who need them most. Many health care providers, as well as state and local governments, are trying to buy ventilators. Some of these potential purchasers should have a higher priority than others based on the acuity of patient needs in their areas. It is difficult for manufacturers to establish these priorities. We would appreciate the Administration’s leadership and the advice of clinical and other experts within the Administration in deciding how to allocate these products in the most effective way.

Second, it is difficult in many cases to determine which source of products – a particular manufacturer, the Strategic National Stockpile, or other sources of inventory – can most efficiently provide products to certain users. These decisions can most effectively be made by a single federal coordinating entity that has information about possible sources of devices and the needs of individual users.

We believe the most effective way to address these allocation issues is for the Administration to designate a lead agency, such as FEMA, to oversee these allocation decisions with the active input of clinical experts, including the CDC, and other stakeholders, including members of the health care community, patient advocacy groups, and industry. Manufacturers of ventilators would then commit to supply their production of these products for the U.S. to the Strategic National Stockpile, which would be distributed by or under the direction of FEMA or whatever lead agency is designated. Manufacturers would provide support to users of the distributed devices in installation, servicing, and training of appropriate employees in the use of the devices.

https://www.advamed.org/sites/default/f ... making.pdf

Instead, Trump has told states to fend for themselves. On March 19, President Donald Trump on Thursday put the onus on governors to obtain the critical equipment their states need to fight the coronavirus pandemic, telling reporters that the federal government is “not a shipping clerk” for the potentially life-saving supplies.

States and hospitals say they have faced unusual challenges in their scramble to secure PPE — from a strained global supply chain and the Trump administration itself. They complain Trump’s encouragement of states to hunt down supplies on their own has created a chaotic competition for PPE and medical equipment. In some cases, states have accused the federal government of seizing shipments of protective equipment to distribute to another region, though the Federal Emergency Management Agency has denied those claims.

Both the senders and the recipients of critical supplies, the manufacturer and the states, have said the exact same thing: That there's an absence of leadership from the federal government, specifically the POTUS. Trump's response to this crisis makes our country's efforts look like an episode of "The Keystone Cops". You said yourself that Trump's sparring with Governors as been despicable. I don't understand why you continue to defend him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri May 01, 2020 4:38 pm

RiverDog wrote:
It's game time for Trump. He's not going to be able to hide behind the ruse of fake news, blame it on Obama, twist the facts, or have a Republican Senate cover for his mistakes. If he screws this up, if he advocates restarting the economy prematurely and against the advice of people like Dr. Fauci and the virus comes back and kills another 100K, he's not only going to lose big in November, he could go down as the worst to have ever held the office.

Hes the worst president in history right now. Its not close.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 02, 2020 11:27 am

Hawktawk wrote:Hes (Trump) the worst president in history right now. Its not close.

Most historians will tell you that you have to wait at least 20 years to fully evaluate a POTUS. Harry Truman left office as the most unpopular President since at least the mid 1900's, yet his stock isn't nearly as low now as it was then. To demonstrate how unpopular Truman was when he left office, his job approval was about 20% lower than Trump's. Even Truman himself said that he couldn't be elected dog catcher.

But I do agree with you that Trump is horrible, worst in my memory.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic