NASCAR

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

NASCAR

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:31 am

It was easy for the NFL to do the right thing; 70% of the talent and a much larger portion of their fans are black, but for NASCAR to do the right thing took some serious stones! I'm impressed and proud to be a NASCAR fan!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: NASCAR

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:48 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:It was easy for the NFL to do the right thing; 70% of the talent and a much larger portion of their fans are black, but for NASCAR to do the right thing took some serious stones! I'm impressed and proud to be a NASCAR fan!

I assume that you're referring to their banning of the Stars and Bars, and I agree, it was a very courageous thing to do considering that NASCAR is more of a redneck sport rooted in the deep south.

But it hasn't come without some ugliness. Yesterday, someone that we can assume isn't a big fan of the sport's only black driver put a hangman's noose in the garage of Bubba Wallace's race team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:13 pm

RiverDog wrote:
I assume that you're referring to their banning of the Stars and Bars, and I agree, it was a very courageous thing to do considering that NASCAR is more of a redneck sport rooted in the deep south.

But it hasn't come without some ugliness. Yesterday, someone that we can assume isn't a big fan of the sport's only black driver put a hangman's noose in the garage of Bubba Wallace's race team.

Yes I know, and they had to know that this would be the level of backlash they''d face, which only makes it the more impressive.

Would you have them not do it because they knew it'd be unpopular?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:40 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Would you have them not do it because they knew it'd be unpopular?

No, not at all. IMO they did exactly the right thing. The popular thing isn't always the right thing. The sport has had this stigma of being a good ole boy's pastime, and this move will help mitigate that perception. My only point is that they are getting out ahead of some of their fans and can expect some backlash, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as perhaps it will cause a few of them to take inventory of themselves.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm

Good riddance. Though I do admit I liked the General Lee as a kid before I knew what The Confederate Flag stood for. Southern Pride,my behind. It's a symbol of Confederate slavers who fought to hold onto that evil institutions. The Germans don't celebrate the Nazis, we shouldn't be celebrating The Confederates and slavers every bit as bad as the Nazis.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Turns out it wasn't a noose after all (at least not in a nefarious way) it was a pull line from an overhead door fashioned into a noose. That's a legit concern under the circumstances, but not a hate crime. They determined it was fashioned into a noose months ago before the 43 team even got assigned to that garage. I have done the same with a pull line that hung down too far myself (just a cool way to shorten a cord in friendlier times)... glad it was no big deal.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:00 pm

I watch the Daytona 500 if i'm not busy but otherwise its a yawn.I cared in the Cale Yarborough, Richard Petty days. Their embrace of a bunch of redneck racist trumpanzees didn't really bnother me any more than Kaepernick kneeling in castro shirts and piggy socks changed my view of my favorite sport. Itrs a step in the right direction I suppose. I still contend sports is where we are supposed to set aside our differences racial and otherwise and root for a common cause and now its gone too.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:17 pm

That's a fan thing, never has been a player thing ... "just shut up and play" was dead when Ali changed his name from Cassius Clay.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:21 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:That's a fan thing, never has been a player thing ... "just shut up and play" was dead when Ali changed his name from Cassius Clay.

It doesn't make it right. Ok with the messenger but not the venue. When I ever get to watch my team again the last thing i want is more chaos.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:45 pm

I'm honestly sorry for you, it's a shame to have your enjoyment of the Seahawks lessened. Doesn't bother me personally, I compartmentalize quite well, pregame, post game, midweek chaos are all a completely separate thing for me than game time.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:30 pm

Hawktawk wrote:It doesn't make it right. Ok with the messenger but not the venue. When I ever get to watch my team again the last thing i want is more chaos.

The world sucks right now. I miss the 80s. Everything felt so positive in the 80s. The music was great. People seemed to believe they could make the world better and get things done without being a total jackass. And Reagan made America seem like a good place, even if he did have some bad things occur under his administration.

The modern world sucks in so many ways. At least the technology is very good and the Superhero movies and TV are awesome. The people? Not so much.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:36 am

The music of the '80s was great?
Good Gawd, that was part of the Disco era.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:46 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The music of the '80s was great?
Good Gawd, that was part of the Disco era.

80s wasn't the disco era. I don't know what you're talking about. 70s was the disco era.

80s was the everything era. Rock, rap. country, pop, new wave, punk. Just about any kind of music was popular. MTV was brand new. On a top 10 or 20 list, you would see a rock song like Van Halen, a rap song like NWA, a pop song like Thriller, a New Wave song like Duran Duran, or even a country song. It was a great wide open area for music and movies. MTV was new and focused on music videos, not reality TV shows. Some of the best trendsetting artists were coming up.

You had movies coming out like Rocky, Visionquest. the original Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and all this great stuff back when it was original and not rehashed sequels.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:09 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The music of the '80s was great? Good Gawd, that was part of the Disco era.

Aseahawkfan wrote:80s wasn't the disco era. I don't know what you're talking about. 70s was the disco era.

The end of the disco era is generally accepted as occurring in the summer of 1979 when the Chicago White Sox held a disco demolition night where fans were encouraged to bring their disco records and burn them in a pile. The event turned into a huge riot. Although much of the disco music and lifestyle carried over into the 80's, disco is widely thought of as belonging to the 70's.

The 80's music had a huge variety to it, more so than any other decade IMO.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic