Should Cam play?

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Should Cam play?

Postby I-5 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:51 am

Reports are that if Cam Newton is asymptomatic, he could play in week 5. First of all, I thought he tested positive for Covid-19, right? What are the quarantine rules for someone is positive? I thought it was a minimum 14 days after testing negative again. No?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30052996/source-new-england-patriots-qb-cam-newton-asymptomatic-monday?device=featurephone
I-5
Legacy

Re: Should Cam play?

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:49 am

I-5 wrote:Reports are that if Cam Newton is asymptomatic, he could play in week 5. First of all, I thought he tested positive for Covid-19, right? What are the quarantine rules for someone is positive? I thought it was a minimum 14 days after testing negative again. No?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30052996/source-new-england-patriots-qb-cam-newton-asymptomatic-monday?device=featurephone

I'm not sure if there are 'rules' as in state mandates regarding a quarantine. I know that some states have travel restrictions for out of state visitors that test positive upon entry, but I'm not aware of any that has anything more than a recommendation for in state residents.

i did find a list of states that have travel restrictions:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/d ... 256975002/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:19 pm

This is interesting. I have read research that suggests asymptomatic people tend not to be able to spread the virus as long as symptomatic people (I don't know if I believe this or not). What I have read about COVID is you should quarantine for 14 days after your last symptom disappears. Obviously if you don't have symptoms you have to use a different metric and what I have read is 14 days from expected exposure or positive test. At any rate it seems like week 5 for Cam would be before that 14 day window.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:30 pm

mykc14 wrote:This is interesting. I have read research that suggests asymptomatic people tend not to be able to spread the virus as long as symptomatic people (I don't know if I believe this or not). What I have read about COVID is you should quarantine for 14 days after your last symptom disappears. Obviously if you don't have symptoms you have to use a different metric and what I have read is 14 days from expected exposure or positive test. At any rate it seems like week 5 for Cam would be before that 14 day window.

It would make sense that an asymptomatic person would be less likely to spread the virus as they would not be as likely to cough or sneeze as would someone that is symptomatic.

I've seen some studies that indicate that a person with a mild case of COVID is not contagious for more than 10 days and that the 14 day quarantine is overkill:

Citing multiple studies by the agency and beyond, the CDC found those who have mild cases of COVID-19 may not have to be in quarantine for 14 days, that duration potentially being shortened to 10.

Scientists found 10 days after onset symptoms, patients they studied did not have "replication-competent virus" — or in simpler terms, virus which could infect cells and replicate.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... r-BB1791FF
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:17 pm

If he gets a few negative tests, then he can probably play.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:15 pm

If he gets a few negative tests, then he can probably play.

If this is the case, it’s what I’m worried about. Do we want a player who was positive for Covid-19 (symptomatic or asymptomatic), then has 2 negative tests, be on the field with Russell Wilson or any of our players before 14 days of quarantine? I for sure would not. I don’t know if any of you have heard this, but there are cases in Asia of people who were positive, then tested negative, then positive again. This virus is a mystery, but 14 days after the last negative test and no symptoms is the guideline I hear the most.
I-5
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:23 pm

I’ve seen some studies that indicate that a person with a mild case of COVID is not contagious for more than 10 days and that the 14 day quarantine is overkill:

Citing multiple studies by the agency and beyond, the CDC found those who have mild cases of COVID-19 may not have to be in quarantine for 14 days, that duration potentially being shortened to 10.

Scientists found 10 days after onset symptoms, patients they studied did not have "replication-competent virus" — or in simpler terms, virus which could infect cells and replicate.

What I’d like to know more about is if this takes into account what kind of drugs or steroids helped decrease the symptoms...for example when I have a flu I take meds to feel better and lessen my symptoms, but during the incubation period I’m still contagious even if I’m not feeling symptoms (due partially to meds). Trump is the perfect example. He’s probably walking around with the best cocktail of covid drugs the world has ever known, probably without a mask on, and according to his doctor he’s ‘asymptomatic’. Would you feel comfortable shaking his hand?
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:45 am

I’ve seen some studies that indicate that a person with a mild case of COVID is not contagious for more than 10 days and that the 14 day quarantine is overkill:

I-5 wrote:What I’d like to know more about is if this takes into account what kind of drugs or steroids helped decrease the symptoms...for example when I have a flu I take meds to feel better and lessen my symptoms, but during the incubation period I’m still contagious even if I’m not feeling symptoms (due partially to meds). Trump is the perfect example. He’s probably walking around with the best cocktail of covid drugs the world has ever known, probably without a mask on, and according to his doctor he’s ‘asymptomatic’. Would you feel comfortable shaking his hand?

I think the answer to your question may be the 2nd paragraph of the quote: patients they studied did not have "replication-competent virus" — or in simpler terms, virus which could infect cells and replicate.

They're not looking at symptoms, they're looking at the "replication-competent virus" that could infect cells and reproduce. I take that to mean that they are examining the virus that's produced by the subject, which would be irrespective of any symptoms.

As far as shaking hands with someone that is asymptomatic, the protocols in our "new normal" calls for limiting that kind of behavior anyway. I haven't shook hands with anyone for months.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:31 am

I-5 wrote:
If this is the case, it’s what I’m worried about. Do we want a player who was positive for Covid-19 (symptomatic or asymptomatic), then has 2 negative tests, be on the field with Russell Wilson or any of our players before 14 days of quarantine? I for sure would not. I don’t know if any of you have heard this, but there are cases in Asia of people who were positive, then tested negative, then positive again. This virus is a mystery, but 14 days after the last negative test and no symptoms is the guideline I hear the most.

One thing that has been encouraging is it doesn't seem like there has been transmission from team to team. One case to watch will be if any more positive test come from the Pats-Chiefs game on Monday. Although they have had positive tests on both teams in the last week it wouldn't be good if somebody Gilmore covered a lot, like Sammy Watkins or Tyreke Hill tests positive.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:50 am

mykc14 wrote:One thing that has been encouraging is it doesn't seem like there has been transmission from team to team. One case to watch will be if any more positive test come from the Pats-Chiefs game on Monday. Although they have had positive tests on both teams in the last week it wouldn't be good if somebody Gilmore covered a lot, like Sammy Watkins or Tyreke Hill tests positive.

Yup. None of the Patriots tested positive after Cam Newton had a positive test, nor did any Chiefs after their positive infection (not sure who it was on the Chiefs that tested positive).

That observation would be supported by the information in the article I posted regarding the transmission of COVID by asymptomatic infections. If we can assume that NFL teams are healthier and younger than the general population and thus more likely to be asymptomatic, then they'd also be less likely to spread the disease with a smaller infectious window than the generally accepted 14 days.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic