2020 General Election

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: 2020 General Election

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:02 am

RiverDog wrote:I didn't watch Biden's speech. I was on my treadmill and decided to channel surf between a couple of college football games. I seldom watch any politician's speeches live. I view politicians much like I do professional athletes and other celebrities: I don't worship them or put them on a pedestal. Although I recognize that others may see them in a different light than I do, I don't need them for my own inspirational well being. They're there to do a job. I'll be much more interested to see how Biden puts together his administration than I will in listening to any of his speeches.

But like you and many others, I am ecstatic to see us having set a 10 week timer on that jackass. Trump was an embarrassment. He did not have a command of the facts, he was a certified narcissist, a confirmed racist, and due to my demographic similarities, I found myself constantly having to differentiate myself from him. It's been a long 4 years.

I don't listen much either. I listened to Obama's election speech or at least part of it as that was history. I did not vote for the man as that would have been dishonest on my part. I felt quite happy to see him president. The country has come a long way to elect Obama president.

I wanted to hear Biden just to listen to someone speak like a president again. Not ramble on like some narcissistic salesman acting like America has it bad.

I'm also happy to see Kamala Harris as VP. I may not agree with her politics, but I do enjoy seeing history in the making as the first female VP, of Indian and British Jamaican heritage with a Jewish 2nd gentleman. Nice to see a mix up in The White House that better represents who are as a nation. Goes to show that Trump and all that he is was repudiated by enough Americans to take us a little bit forward. Obama was 2 steps forward, Trump one step back, Biden and Harris are 2 steps forward. Barring Trump that is 3 steps forward. Now we need to get everyone on board the liberty and fiscal conservative train. I'd like to see Republicans take their heads out of their behinds and run a minority conservative that isn't dumb as a box of rocks.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:11 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I slept well before the pandemic with Trump, not after. This idiot's handling of the pandemic went from understandable since so many missed on the initial virus given China lied about it, to complete idiocy and politicization of what should have been a very serious undertaking by the Federal government. Then it just continued the downward spiral until the ultimate irony of the idiot getting the coronavrius and even then refusing to change anything he was doing. Someone filled with such hubris as to not know when he is wrong during a global pandemic should not be in charge of a nation. Even Boris Johnson after getting sick had the sense to adjust his behaviors and governance. Not dumbass, nope. He's a "man" and everything is fine.

I can't feel good with that kind of idiot in office during a global pandemic. It's fun to rib the looney Dems and leftists about Trump when the economy is good and they're buying into every unproven Democrat conspiracy theory and acting like Trump is some kind of tyrant. It's not fun when he's acting like an idiot, not listening to the doctors and scientists advising him, and treating a virus like a PR issue not implementing contact tracing, travel controls, and not encouraging mask wearing crying about Dems this and Dems that while he's making bad decisions. That's not fun at all.

Trump wasn't/isn't smart enough to comprehend the science behind pandemics. This was highlighted when he tried to enter into a discussion with the experts and started asking about injecting disinfectants and putting ultraviolet lights inside the body. Rather than recognize his shortcomings like most rational people would, his narcissistic personality wouldn't allow him to admit that he needed to trust someone else on a matter he had no experience or education on. His personality drove him to discredit the scientists and advisors as an ego defense mechanism.

It also explains Trump's volatile temper. If he can't understand the reasoning behind a question posed to him or a subject under discussion, he's not articulate enough to come up with an intelligent response, so he gets pissed off and reacts by lashing out at who ever happens to be in the discussion with him.

This personality trait of his was repeated over and over during his presidency, whether it be with arguments with military people like Mattis or an economic expert like Jerome Powell. The combination of those two traits, a lack of basic intelligence and a narcissistic personality, his a horrible combination for a manager to have. Not only are their judgments often times wrong due to a lack of understanding, they're too stubborn to admit when they're wrong or when they're out of their league.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:46 am

About the lights inside the body comment, there's a company up here who has found that by using a particular spectrum of light in the
throat, they can reduce infections for people in the hospital after surgery. If I remember correctly what it does is kill the virus and bacteria
in the throat and has shown a 60% decrease in infections. How that could be applied to a virus, I don't know but I thought that the idea was
an interesting perspective - and it's a bit off topic.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:24 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I didn't overlook or leave out anything. Your claims that I responded to were about percentages not total numbers. Once all the otes are counted we'll revisit those claims. Until then it all just mental masterbation.

RiverDog wrote:Mental masturbation? Really?!

5 days after the election, we'll be measuring the changes in percentages of national totals by a couple of tenths of a percent. They won't alter any of the interpretations one way or the other. But have it your way.

You've reacted badly to the term before, what is it about 'mental masterbation" that offends you so? I use it because it's a freakin' song lyric, not to offend. I find it applicable to at least 70-80% of the conversation here. And I'm not excluding myself from that percentage.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:38 am

c_hawkbob wrote:You've reacted badly to the term before, what is it about 'mental masterbation" that offends you so? I use it because it's a freakin' song lyric, not to offend. I find it applicable to at least 70-80% of the conversation here. And I'm not excluding myself from that percentage.

The phrase doesn't offend me. I was just surprised to see you use it in such a benign discussion.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:43 am

I quite specifically singled out percentages as what I was responding to, your trying to say I forgot this or that in saying let's wait till the data is complete made it entirely appropriate, and also equally as benign.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:24 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I quite specifically singled out percentages as what I was responding to, your trying to say I forgot this or that in saying let's wait till the data is complete made it entirely appropriate, and also equally as benign.

I was engaging in a little sarcastic humor by saying that you 'forgot' to include the other data I presented. It was not my intent to ridicule your statement.

Nearly all of the remaining outstanding ballots are mail ins, and most states are at the point where they are waiting to see of any with a Tuesday postmark arrive. As incompetent as the USPS is, the likelihood of enough ballots arriving 5 days after they were mailed that it would significantly affect the nation wide percentages seems to be pretty remote, especially when you consider that the vast majority are being mailed/delivered within the same region. Most of the ballots they are waiting for are from military and overseas citizens.

If you want to sit on the sidelines and wait until every last ballot has been counted before you engage in our discussion, then that's fine with me. But there's no harm in the rest of us speculating as to what this election is telling us. Our arguments aren't going to be affected by the official tally.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:56 am

Again, I said nothing belittling. That's just how you take the term, it's really not. Sorry you perceive it to be.

And saying lets wait till we're comparing complete data to complete data is not sitting on the sidelines, it's merely pointing out that it's too early to be making evaluations such as this election having less of a winning margin than last. I honestly believe (and have seen the numbers broken down to indicate) that they will wind up pretty commensurate.

Any further discussion before the data is complete is exactly what I refer to as mental masterbation (in Sammy Hagar's voice of course).
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:21 pm

Time for that revisit we spoke of when more of the data had been collected:

The 2020 presidential election wasn’t really that close.

Right now, Joe Biden’s popular-vote lead over Trump stands at 4 percentage points, 51 percent to 47 percent — and it’s only going to grow once more of New York’s votes (finally) get counted.

That would give Biden the second-largest popular vote margin out of the 21st century’s six presidential elections, with only Barack Obama’s 7-point win in 2008 being greater.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-t ... e-n1248608

*More than anything I just wanted to get this back on the front page so when all of the data is in it won't be so hard to find. But reading this piece did put me in mind of this conversation.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:53 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Time for that revisit we spoke of when more of the data had been collected:

The 2020 presidential election wasn’t really that close.

Right now, Joe Biden’s popular-vote lead over Trump stands at 4 percentage points, 51 percent to 47 percent — and it’s only going to grow once more of New York’s votes (finally) get counted.

That would give Biden the second-largest popular vote margin out of the 21st century’s six presidential elections, with only Barack Obama’s 7-point win in 2008 being greater.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-t ... e-n1248608

c_hawkbob wrote:*More than anything I just wanted to get this back on the front page so when all of the data is in it won't be so hard to find. But reading this piece did put me in mind of this conversation.

Yeah, but it doesn't change the narrative very much, if at all.

At a 4% popular margin and 306 electoral votes, the election was MUCH closer than any of the polls or predictions had forecasted. The Democrats lost 8 seats in the House while not a single House Republican incumbent lost theirs, and despite the fact that the Republicans were defending 23 seats, nearly twice the number the Dems were defending, only one Republican Senate incumbent lost their election. The Dems likely won't flip the Senate as they had hoped as they need to win both run offs in Georgia.

Especially given the backdrop of Trump's horrible response to the coronavirus crisis and the conventional wisdom that a high turnout usually favors the Dems, Biden should have blown Trump to the moon and back.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:17 pm

I can't take the popular vote seriously with California and New York being heavily liberal with large populations of people heavily reliant on government funding. I would never want to run the nation like New York and California run. If we let California and New York decide every election, we would never have a Republican president. We would likely have to break California and New York up, so they don't have the power they do to influence elections. That's why I'm soundly against the popular vote. It creates a situation where large population centers get to dictate to rural and suburban communities.

To me the louder rebuke of Trump was the Republicans claiming 8 seats in the House and maintaining the Senate, while Americans sent a clear message it is not the Republican platform they disapprove of, but Trump himself. He is the one that Americans as a whole don't approve of. It may not have been a huge margin for votes for the electoral votes, but it was enough to send the clear message that Americans do not want Trump leading right now.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I can't take the popular vote seriously with California and New York being heavily liberal with large populations of people heavily reliant on government funding. I would never want to run the nation like New York and California run. If we let California and New York decide every election, we would never have a Republican president. We would likely have to break California and New York up, so they don't have the power they do to influence elections. That's why I'm soundly against the popular vote. It creates a situation where large population centers get to dictate to rural and suburban communities.

I couldn't agree more. The only issues that would ever get any play in a popular vote scenario would be those that appeal to urban and suburban areas. Candidates wouldn't never have to venture beyond a 50 mile radius of whatever airport hub they happen to land at.

Aseahawkfan wrote:To me the louder rebuke of Trump was the Republicans claiming 8 seats in the House and maintaining the Senate, while Americans sent a clear message it is not the Republican platform they disapprove of, but Trump himself. He is the one that Americans as a whole don't approve of. It may not have been a huge margin for votes for the electoral votes, but it was enough to send the clear message that Americans do not want Trump leading right now.

Yea, that's the dirty little secret that not many libs are talking about. So much for the blue wave.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:43 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, but it doesn't change the narrative very much, if at all.

Sure, from "Trump has 47.7% of the popular vote. That's over 1% higher than the percentage he got in 2016" and "we'll be measuring the changes in percentages of national totals by a couple of tenths of a percent. They won't alter any of the interpretations one way or the other to "the second-largest popular vote margin out of the 21st century’s six presidential elections" is no difference t all.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:50 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, but it doesn't change the narrative very much, if at all.

c_hawkbob wrote:Sure, from "Trump has 47.7% of the popular vote. That's over 1% higher than the percentage he got in 2016" and "we'll be measuring the changes in percentages of national totals by a couple of tenths of a percent. They won't alter any of the interpretations one way or the other to "the second-largest popular vote margin out of the 21st century’s six presidential elections" is no difference t all.

OK, fair enough. But it still doesn't change a thing regarding the difference between the expectations and the result, nor does it change anything in the down ticket elections in the Senate and the House. Biden might have had the 2nd largest popular vote margin in the 21st century (out of 6 elections? Whoop de do!), but his coat tails were non existent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:46 pm

It must be an ego blow that although Biden won, the other R’s also did well.
It showed he wasn’t as popular as those he supposedly led. At least it could
be viewed that way.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:40 pm

RiverDog wrote:OK, fair enough. But it still doesn't change a thing regarding the difference between the expectations and the result, nor does it change anything in the down ticket elections in the Senate and the House. Biden might have had the 2nd largest popular vote margin in the 21st century (out of 6 elections? Whoop de do!), but his coat tails were non existent.

Even c-bob said earlier this was a very winnable election for the Republicans, but Trump's such a jackass he couldn't do what was needed to win. The Democrats gave the Republicans tons of ammunition to win this election, but Trump had to out-stupid the Democrats on COVID. Democrats practically tossed a softball easy victory to Republicans, but we have a total moron as a president.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:50 am

NorthHawk wrote:It must be an ego blow that although Biden won, the other R’s also did well. It showed he wasn’t as popular as those he supposedly led. At least it could be viewed that way.

And I think that's the correct view, too. As ASF said, the Democrats handed their Republican opponents plenty of ammunition: Their pathetic response to the violence spawned by the BLM protests, debt forgiveness, court packing, defund the police, reparations, and so on. It may not have been fair as many Democrats are not in favor of such proposals and/or had nothing to do with the events of this past summer, but it was up to them to separate themselves from the label that was hung on them by others. In my view, they failed to do so. For being as popular as some claim he was, Sleepy Joe had no coattails and no resonating message other than we hate Trump.

It will be interesting to see how the next couple of years shape up. Although there's still a possibility that the Dems will gain control of the Senate, it's likely that Biden will be presiding over a divided government, or at the very least, won't be able to afford a single defection from his party. The 2022 mid term elections will once again present Dems with a golden opportunity to take over the Senate (assuming they fail to do so this January). The Republicans will be defending 20 seats, the Dems 13. Two Republican seats, in battleground states NC and PA, will be open due to retirements.

And neither Trump or Trumpism will be going away. But at least they'll be way back in the peanut gallery and not in the Oval Office.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:12 am

I wonder if this story about Dark Money in Florida has legs?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/23/politics ... index.html
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:27 am

NorthHawk wrote:I wonder if this story about Dark Money in Florida has legs?

Probably nothing more than a side note. The entire nation, and the world for that matter, is focused on two things: The coronavirus and the 2020 Presidential election. Everything else is Page 8 with the classifieds and comics.

So long as there are fools out there stupid enough to allow themselves to be manipulated, there will be a demand for this kind of activity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:44 am

It's another form of dirty tricks in a tight race.
I don't know about you, but that type of thing sours me on political parties and it seems to me to be
an insult to free and fair elections by putting up candidates who have no intention to serve, rather
the intent is to siphon on votes from other parties. I think it's a form of a subversion of democracy.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:54 am

NorthHawk wrote:It's another form of dirty tricks in a tight race.
I don't know about you, but that type of thing sours me on political parties and it seems to me to be
an insult to free and fair elections by putting up candidates who have no intention to serve, rather
the intent is to siphon on votes from other parties. I think it's a form of a subversion of democracy.

Dirty tricks have been around in American politics forever.

Although it didn't make a difference in the result, in the primary proceeding JFK's first Congressional race in 1946, an opponent with the exact same first and last name as one of Kennedy's opponents, Joseph Russo, suddenly registered as a candidate and appeared on the ballot. The confusion was enough that it siphoned about 500 votes away from the legitimate Joseph Russo. Although they couldn't prove anything, there were lots of rumors that JFK's old man arranged for the 'imposter' to appear on the ballot.

Although it's always a concern and we should be vigilant in rooting out corruption, I don't see it as being a major threat to our democracy.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:40 am

With a 33 vote win, and 6000 votes going to the dark money candidate, it's hard to say what effect this
had in the Senatorial election in Florida. It might mean the difference between a Republican held Senate
and a Democratic held Senate. We do know that the advertising went to Democratic voters who may just
have voted the candidate with a non party affiliation instead of the Democrat in the race - if the article
is accurate in who was targeted.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:26 pm

There should be no such thing as dark money. All political donations should be 100% transparent.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:10 pm

RiverDog wrote:Probably nothing more than a side note. The entire nation, and the world for that matter, is focused on two things: The coronavirus and the 2020 Presidential election. Everything else is Page 8 with the classifieds and comics.

So long as there are fools out there stupid enough to allow themselves to be manipulated, there will be a demand for this kind of activity.

This story is more proof to me that a good moderate Latin candidate for the Republicans for president would really shift things in their favor on a national level. There are a ton of Latin conservatives out there that vote Democrat almost solely due to their racism tag. Latins are very socially conservative and are very much into work over welfare.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:20 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:There should be no such thing as dark money. All political donations should be 100% transparent.

I agree... Every cent that is given and spent politically should be transparent.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Although this doesn't exactly fit into the definition of 'voter fraud' it needs to be investigated and people need to be punished. These are the things that need to be looked at and are more in line with what I see as wide-spread election tampering. It stands to reason that had 'Alex Rodriguez' not been on the ballot that the incumbent Democrat would have won the election.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:54 pm

mykc14 wrote:Although this doesn't exactly fit into the definition of 'voter fraud' it needs to be investigated and people need to be punished. These are the things that need to be looked at and are more in line with what I see as wide-spread election tampering. It stands to reason that had 'Alex Rodriguez' not been on the ballot that the incumbent Democrat would have won the election.

This was for a state Senator, not a national Senator. I bet lots of shenanigans occur on a state level.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:41 am

mykc14 wrote:Although this doesn't exactly fit into the definition of 'voter fraud' it needs to be investigated and people need to be punished. These are the things that need to be looked at and are more in line with what I see as wide-spread election tampering. It stands to reason that had 'Alex Rodriguez' not been on the ballot that the incumbent Democrat would have won the election.

I agree that it needs to be investigated and the perpetrators punished. My point is that this is nothing novel to American politics and has been going on for decades if not centuries. It is not a significant threat to our democracy.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:53 am

RiverDog wrote:I agree that it needs to be investigated and the perpetrators punished. My point is that this is nothing novel to American politics and has been going on for decades if not centuries. It is not a significant threat to our democracy.

And it is far easier to manipulate elections for a state senator where voting may occur in a smaller area than a president or senator across an entire state. There are 56 state Senators in Georgia, probably voted for in smaller areas where you can manipulate the vote easier.

This is not one of the two Senators for The Federal Senate. That larger the area and number of voters, the harder it is to manipulate the vote.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:22 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/24/trump-b ... inute.html

As Asea would say "dumb as dirt" gives a bizarre ONE MINUTE press conference and takes a victory lap for the Biden bump :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D
We have a complete spun off the rails commander in chief who has utterly disengaged from the current enemy covid which is blowing up daily. The man should be removed under the 25th amendment immediately, not have Mitch McConnell cowering in fear over his majority and unable to even be a patriotic american citizen anymore.

Question. If the president ORDERS military action at this point can anyone stop him? He's already gutting brass and installing loyalists and pulling mission critical troops. He will almost certainly face legal jeopardy post term and will do anything he can to avoid it.

I dont ever want to be right about the danger Trump places us in by the minute as our enemies see his mental condition unravel.But there's no excuse except being political scumbags for McConnel and his henchmen with a speech impediment unable to simply say. STOP DESTROYING AMERICA TRUMP !!!!GTFO!!!!. Like retiring Lamar Alexander said" when you are in public life people remember the last thing you do". The Trumpanzee base may like this but history will be unkind unless history is an ash....

I enjoyed watching Biden yesterday, calm , collected, placing forth serious intelligent articulate diverse people for intelligence positions , striking a serous somber tone, already the shadow president coordinating with governors and mayors on coronavirus, vaccination distribution etc. Ill rest much easier on Jan 20 and not a minute before.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:27 am

Hawktawk wrote: Question. If the president ORDERS military action at this point can anyone stop him? He's already gutting brass and installing loyalists and pulling mission critical troops. He will almost certainly face legal jeopardy post term and will do anything he can to avoid it.

Military leaders have said over and over again that they will not follow an illegal order. Trump cannot arbitrarily push the button and nuke the planet, if that's what you're worried about.

56 more days, my friend! You can do it!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:54 am

Pennsylvania certified their election yesterday:

President-elect Joe Biden has been certified the winner of Pennsylvania’s Nov. 3 election.

Secretary of State Kathy Boockvar and Gov. Tom Wolf signed and certified the election results Tuesday morning, a day after all 67 counties certified their respective results.

The certification ends a three-week process and awards the state’s 20 electoral votes to Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.

That closes off another path that Trump had in his effort to overturn the election.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:55 am

RiverDog wrote:Pennsylvania certified their election yesterday:

President-elect Joe Biden has been certified the winner of Pennsylvania’s Nov. 3 election.

Secretary of State Kathy Boockvar and Gov. Tom Wolf signed and certified the election results Tuesday morning, a day after all 67 counties certified their respective results.

The certification ends a three-week process and awards the state’s 20 electoral votes to Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.

That closes off another path that Trump had in his effort to overturn the election.

Yesterday Biden gave a presidential sounding serious speech as Trump called into a pennsylvania clown show arranged by Guliani to say he had "won by a lot".

I did just hear some judge in Pittsburgh has placed a stay on the certification of Pennsylvania vote pending some hearing tomorrow on absentee ballots in Pittsburgh so who knows. I'll believe Biden is the president when he is sworn in. Should Trump get a single hail mary case to the SCOTUS i have zero faith in the body right now.

Also RD I appreciate your sense of security but doing something like bombing Iran's nuclear facilities would not be an illegal order. We've done similar things many times. It would just be extremely stupid and destabilizing but it would please 2 big Trump allies. Israel and Saudi Arabia. Pompeio met both recently and B 52s have been sent to the middle east in the last week.

There is an intelligence buzz. Its widely reported he had pressed advisors and that Pence as well as his military had to convince him it was too risky.The word "convince " tells me they can't stop it if he orders it. I hope you're right and it's all no big deal. I guess we just sit and see how many felons he pardons and if he tries to figure out a way to get one himself. Burning down the house on the way out the door.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:29 am

RiverDog wrote:Pennsylvania certified their election yesterday:

Hawktawk wrote: I did just hear some judge in Pittsburgh has placed a stay on the certification of Pennsylvania vote pending some hearing tomorrow on absentee ballots in Pittsburgh so who knows.

All the judge did was to order PA not to take anymore steps towards certification than has already been taken, and they've already completed their certification process as all of the counties have already certified their results. There wasn't anything left for them to do anyway, especially considering that today is a holiday. The judge is trying to show that he/she was being fair, that they wanted an opportunity to hear the plaintiff's argument.

Hawktawk wrote:Also RD I appreciate your sense of security but doing something like bombing Iran's nuclear facilities would not be an illegal order. We've done similar things many times. It would just be extremely stupid and destabilizing but it would please 2 big Trump allies. Israel and Saudi Arabia. Pompeio met both recently and B 52s have been sent to the middle east in the last week.

There is an intelligence buzz. Its widely reported he had pressed advisors and that Pence as well as his military had to convince him it was too risky.The word "convince " tells me they can't stop it if he orders it. I hope you're right and it's all no big deal. I guess we just sit and see how many felons he pardons and if he tries to figure out a way to get one himself. Burning down the house on the way out the door.

Well, I guess you'll just have to take a few more tranquilizers before you got to bed. I see nothing inherently more dangerous in the next 50 some days that hasn't been present in the previous 1400 or so.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:40 am

I watched most of Biden's interview with Lester Holt, and boy, did he look awful, stumbling over his words, squinting and blinking, looked every day of his 78 years of age and then some. He made Ronald Reagan look like a sprite youngster full of piss and vinegar. If not for the incompetency of the man he's replacing, I'd be hugely concerned.

Having said that, I am pleased with what I'm seeing out of Sleepy Joe so far. I have no particular issue with any of his cabinet appointments, at least not yet, and I'm relieved that he's resisted the calls from progressives to put those two moonbats, Sanders and Warren, within his inner circle. Despite the delay in the transition process, he has said that they will be up to speed by Jan. 20th.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:56 am

I can't remember who it was, but someone once said a good politician has to be a good actor.
Biden has always had times when he sounded like his mouth was full of rocks when talking and
he struggles for words. I think it's part of the stuttering, but that's just who he is. It's going to
be refreshing to not hear anything from the White House for days on end like it used to be. It
sounds like he has some good people chosen for important roles and they can and should answer
the questions that will come up - for the most part.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:16 am

NorthHawk wrote:I can't remember who it was, but someone once said a good politician has to be a good actor.
Biden has always had times when he sounded like his mouth was full of rocks when talking and
he struggles for words. I think it's part of the stuttering, but that's just who he is. It's going to
be refreshing to not hear anything from the White House for days on end like it used to be. It
sounds like he has some good people chosen for important roles and they can and should answer

Compared to seeing a guy who is 3 times as mentally ill as myself blabbering incoherence and lies and posessing the nuclear codes he's reaganesque. He didn't storm out of an interview where he was faced with tough issues. Looking past the speech impediment he's got the words to show he knows what he's doing , he has a plan. He's a serious, empathetic person who has built a strong team and will listen to them.

I truly am amazed by the level of support that remains for a president who has holed up for over 3 weeks other than golfing ,tweeting lies about a stolen election and re tweeting self pardon suggestions. Literally calling in to Gettysburg to try to steal a national election causing former R Gov Tom Ridge to download.
He should be tried for sedition.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:30 am

NorthHawk wrote:I can't remember who it was, but someone once said a good politician has to be a good actor.

I agree with you for the most part. I've watched Joe Biden off and on for over 30 years, and you're right, he stuttered and stammered a lot back then, too. But I don't remember the constant blinking and squinting being present. Perhaps it was just the bright lights for the TV cameras, but he looked awful, worse than I've ever seen him.

Biden's mental acuity shouldn't be a huge issue so long as he has good people around him and his management style permits a high degree of delegation. One of my main issue with Trump was his management style, that he did so many things by the seat of the pants, believing that his judgment on every subject under the sun was superior to everyone else's.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:34 am

I watched that interview too Riv and I think your Republican panties are showing. Biden was just fine if you pay attention to the words instead of the delivery at least. As a former stutterer myself maybe I have more patience for for Joe's difficulties with it, once it starts it seems like you just can't get away from it, at least in the same sitting. Then the next time it's zero issue at all, that's just how it goes some days.

He did maybe look a bit weary though, but it's not as though he hasn't got anything going on.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:43 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I watched that interview too Riv and I think your Republican panties are showing. Biden was just fine if you pay attention to the words instead of the delivery at least. As a former stutterer myself maybe I have more patience for for Joe's difficulties with it, once it starts it seems like you just can't get away from it, at least in the same sitting. Then the next time it's zero issue at all, that's just how it goes some days.

He did maybe look a bit weary though, but it's not as though he hasn't got anything going on.

I paid attention to all of Biden's words, and you're right, the content of his interview was just fine and very appropriate. But you'd have to be a blind man not to notice his physical condition. As far as his "not having anything else going on", perhaps there's some other reason besides advancing age, but you would think that his preparation for his first sit down interview as President elect would have included getting plenty of rest and rehearsing his answers to questions in an interview that obviously had a very high degree of choreography to it.

As far as my Republican panties showing, I doubt that you would hear any Republican, especially given the way the party has presented itself lately, say such complimentary things about Biden as I have, not to mention the fact that I voted for him.
RiverDog
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic