A Peaceful Transition

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: "No Safe Harbor"

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:47 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:
Your gyms are still open. You lucky bastard.

Yeah, I swim a mile 3 times a week and luckily for me chlorinated water is not an effective means for the virus to travel. I wear my mask to my locker and back out to my car and stick out like a sore thumb doing so.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:14 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:
We will see December 14th how deep the Trump crazy is. I for one am not looking forward to having to take up arms to deal with this, but I guess I'll have to if these Trumpbots subvert the electoral college and we have to settle this election stealing the hard way.

The latest SCOTUS ruling dealt utter nuclear meltdown to any figment of credibility in the challenge of these results. The Texas ADs suit before the SCOTUS trying to throw out the democratic vote in 4 swing states is even more ridiculous and will be dispatched in similar fashion IMO.

Now its down to how nutty this lunatic will get.He has nothing to lose but his freedom at this point and has proven he will use the constitution to wipe his @ss if it suits him.

Mike Flynn among others is calling for a coup and an order of a revote. Some version of this is parroted by some fox commentators who speak to 40% of viewers of cable *news* and probably 90% of Trump supporters who have not moved to even more fringe far right news outlets.

Most alarming are the moves made at the very top of the pentagon installing absolute trump loyalists who have also publicly expressed conspiracy theories about this election. Its widely believed Trump is itching to bomb Iran on the way out , the new leadership has relocated assets to the middle east to accomplish an air assault. It would almost certainly lead to all out war and with the execution of an Iranian nuke scientist its on a hair trigger.

But most alarming is this type of utterly slavenly loyal fanatical military leadership puts meat on the bone if Trump decides to actually attempt a declaration of martial law. Then there would be blood in the streets and i'm sure soldier on soldier to a degree as many support him and if you support Trump at this point you are near the lunatic fringe. And it's a long and far distance to this being reality but if thats how its going down I will be locked and loaded in defense of american democracy, absolutely.
I rule nothing out with this guy. I've felt the evil emanating out of this man since he came down the escalator but I couldn't have written a worse nightmare for america than he's brought so far and its not over.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:03 pm

Hawktawk wrote:The latest SCOTUS ruling dealt utter nuclear meltdown to any figment of credibility in the challenge of these results. The Texas ADs suit before the SCOTUS trying to throw out the democratic vote in 4 swing states is even more ridiculous and will be dispatched in similar fashion IMO.

Now its down to how nutty this lunatic will get.He has nothing to lose but his freedom at this point and has proven he will use the constitution to wipe his @ss if it suits him.

Mike Flynn among others is calling for a coup and an order of a revote. Some version of this is parroted by some fox commentators who speak to 40% of viewers of cable *news* and probably 90% of Trump supporters who have not moved to even more fringe far right news outlets.

Most alarming are the moves made at the very top of the pentagon installing absolute trump loyalists who have also publicly expressed conspiracy theories about this election. Its widely believed Trump is itching to bomb Iran on the way out , the new leadership has relocated assets to the middle east to accomplish an air assault. It would almost certainly lead to all out war and with the execution of an Iranian nuke scientist its on a hair trigger.

But most alarming is this type of utterly slavenly loyal fanatical military leadership puts meat on the bone if Trump decides to actually attempt a declaration of martial law. Then there would be blood in the streets and i'm sure soldier on soldier to a degree as many support him and if you support Trump at this point you are near the lunatic fringe. And it's a long and far distance to this being reality but if thats how its going down I will be locked and loaded in defense of american democracy, absolutely.
I rule nothing out with this guy. I've felt the evil emanating out of this man since he came down the escalator but I couldn't have written a worse nightmare for america than he's brought so far and its not over.

I still can't believe anyone thinks Trump cares about the Constitution or if he has even read it. To Trump the Constitution is just some garbage document he can pay lawyers to subvert.

I could have written a worse nightmare for America, but hey, if this is your worst nightmare than good for you. With our military capability, I can see far worse nightmares coming.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:05 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I still can't believe anyone thinks Trump cares about the Constitution or if he has even read it. To Trump the Constitution is just some garbage document he can pay lawyers to subvert.

Yup. Trump doesn't read anything. It's why he's so intellectually shallow. You can tell by his very limited vocabulary that he is not well read.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I could have written a worse nightmare for America, but hey, if this is your worst nightmare than good for you. With our military capability, I can see far worse nightmares coming.

The one who must be having nightmares is Donald Trump. Melania is already moving out of the White House. There's even substantial rumors circulating that she plans on a divorce once he's out of office.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:17 am

RiverDog wrote:
The one who must be having nightmares is Donald Trump. Melania is already moving out of the White House. There's even substantial rumors circulating that she plans on a divorce once he's out of office.

This is one main key to this holdout. He's afraid of incarceration. Common criminals facing life flee, kill cops etc because they have nothing to lose. Former lawyer Michael Cohen has said Trump is afraid he will go straight to jail.

This is why Im worried. The commander in chief has nothing to lose but backroom deals with all the people he's indebted to foreign and domestic..Nothing but blanket immunity from his crimes federal and state for another 4 years as mad king George.

Im happy you are relaxed my friend. I'm not.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: A Peaceful Transition

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:42 am

December 8th didn't seem like a very important day so far Riverdog. We'll see if December 14th closes the door, but who knows with this scumbag narcissist in office.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:18 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:December 8th didn't seem like a very important day so far Riverdog. We'll see if December 14th closes the door, but who knows with this scumbag narcissist in office.

It is as far as locking in the electoral votes. But the Texas lawsuit has added some uncertainty, but I expect SCOTUS to dismiss it without comment like they did the PA suit.

That not withstanding, the electoral college vote is this Monday, so we won't have to wait much longer. Congress still has to accept the vote, which will occur in early January.

January 20th can't get here soon enough. This mindless hysteria that Trump and the media has created is maddening.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:41 pm

RiverDog wrote:It is as far as locking in the electoral votes. But the Texas lawsuit has added some uncertainty, but I expect SCOTUS to dismiss it without comment like they did the PA suit.

That not withstanding, the electoral college vote is this Monday, so we won't have to wait much longer. Congress still has to accept the vote, which will occur in early January.

January 20th can't get here soon enough. This mindless hysteria that Trump and the media has created is maddening.

What is maddening to me is that there are people who want to rip this country apart in support of this piece of garbage narcissist. I did not hate Trump for quite a while. Just mild dislike at the start. Then I started to actively dislike him once he ignored the science on how to get control of the coronavirus with no national plan, contact tracing, and refusal to wear masks. Now I actively hate him. He has put himself above the country for the last time I can stomach. We are in the middle of a crisis and he is trying to undermine our elections to glorify himself waiting for someone else to start a Civil War he can capitalize on that he would never start himself because he's too weak and pathetic a man.

These lemmings (I don't mean all who voted for him, just the idgits who think the election was stolen on almost no evidence) that follow him are believing his word without much proof also waiting for someone to start some kind of Civil War to rip this country apart hoping their viewpoint will prevail, even when the outcome will be one where Trump supporters find out the hard way they don't agree on much.

You know what will help Russia and China immensely? Americans ripping apart their own nation for a scumbag narcissist who always puts himself first. The fact that even 50% of Trump supporters believe his garbage on the most specious of evidence shows a level of ignorance that makes Americans look stupid.

Trump has made our entire nation look stupid, vulgar, and ridiculous. I hope a few powerful people who really do care about this nation burn him down like should happen.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:45 pm

As expected, SCOTUS rejected the Texas lawsuit seeking to throw out the election results in 4 other states:

The Supreme Court on Friday rejected an audacious lawsuit by Texas that had asked the court to throw out the presidential election results in four battleground states captured by President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.

The court, in a brief unsigned order, said Texas lacked standing to pursue the case, saying it “has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another state conducts its elections.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/supre ... d=msedgntp
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:05 pm

I must admit that it is kind of fun to watch Trump supporters in the local comments section go crazy losing the election all over again every time a court rules against him, I do hope this ends it.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:24 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I must admit that it is kind of fun to watch Trump supporters in the local comments section go crazy losing the election all over again every time a court rules against him, I do hope this ends it.

Glad you're seeing the humor in this like I am.

My wife and I were commenting about how this past year some people we know that were a tad bit goofy to begin with have gone completely bonkers. One of my wife's friends posted on Facebook today how the new COVID vaccine is a government conspiracy and was killing people in the UK. It's like Trump has given these people a license to throw any outlandish suggestion out there and people are gullible to believe it.

I'm beginning to think that the combination of the pandemic and Donald Trump is giving people some type of weird, full moon madness.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:51 pm

The SCOTUS decision to throw out the Texas lawsuit, the one in which Trump called "the most important case in history", was 7-2, with all three Trump appointed justices voting to throw it out. So much for his being able to stack the court. Even the two dissenting votes, Thomas and Alito, said that they felt that the case could be filed but that they would not grant relief:

Statement of Justice Alito, with whom Justice Thomas joins: In my view, we do not have discretion to deny the filing of a bill of complaint in a case that falls within our original jurisdiction. See Arizona v. California, 589 U. S. ___(Feb. 24, 2020) (Thomas, J., dissenting). I would therefore grant the motion to file the bill of complaint but would not grant other relief, and I express no view on any other issue.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/cou ... r_p860.pdf

So for all intents and purposes, it was a unanimous decision. This is a court that has a 6-3 conservative advantage yet they throw out a lawsuit filed by Republicans. Our system of checks and balances works.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Yep, the system worked...kinda hard not to, when their case came down to, 'we don't like that we lost, something has to be wrong'.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:38 am

I-5 wrote:Yep, the system worked...kinda hard not to, when their case came down to, 'we don't like that we lost, something has to be wrong'.

Hehe. Yea, that's why I've been relatively content compared to some of my friends in here. Those judges in the courts aren't a pack of right wing stooges that will trample on the Constitution to advance their political ideology. Every one of those scores of meritless cases the courts have been asked to decide have been thrown out without any serious consideration.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:27 am

He's going to continue this fight in whatever way he can. It seems the SCOTUS route is over, so now he might try to influence the Electoral College vote.
Isn't there also another process where the Congress confirms the EC votes? Could he have a way to make that a mess?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:43 am

NH, not to mention he is going to do everything he can to wreak havoc on the markets before he hands the keys to Biden. He wants to burn everything to the ground before he goes, it’s who he is.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:10 am

NorthHawk wrote:Isn't there also another process where the Congress confirms the EC votes? Could he have a way to make that a mess?

Yes. Congress is scheduled to convene in a joint session on January 6th to count the votes and accept or reject the results:

The U.S. code does allow Congress to object to electoral votes. Here’s how it works: an objection needs to be in writing and signed by at least one Senator and one Representative.

In terms of what counts as a valid objection, Mulji said that the laws are vague.

"There isn't a ton of guidance about... what does and doesn't count as an objection," Mulji said. "Because these are internal rules of Congress, it's up to the houses of Congress to decide whether the objections are valid.” After there’s an objection, the two houses will then hold separate votes on whether to accept or reject it.

If there’s a split decision, meaning the House voted one way and the Senate voted the other, the objection fails and votes are counted as originally cast.

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/veri ... 4cd5c284fa

My take on that is that Trump would need to get both the House as well as the Senate to vote for him, meaning he'd have to have a number of Democrats in the House, a virtual impossibility. Even in the Senate, all they'd need is a couple of Republican defectors, and there's a number, like Ben Sasse, Susan Collins, and Mitt Romney, that would go against Trump.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:10 pm

What’s more crazy is the ATTEMPT. Is there anything or anyone less patriotic in the history of the nation, and all who support him?
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:03 pm

I-5 wrote:What’s more crazy is the ATTEMPT. Is there anything or anyone less patriotic in the history of the nation, and all who support him?

Yeah, it's been a whacky month, that's for sure. The most surprising thing was all the R's that signed onto that silly Texas lawsuit, and I have to wonder if the Georgia Senate races had anything to do with it.

We have the Electoral College vote coming up on Monday. Hopefully once that's done things will settle down some. But I'm not holding my breath.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:25 pm

I hate Donald Trump now. This man is sowing chaos in our nation. If the Republicans play games with electoral votes, I doubt I'll vote Republican any longer given the Republican Party seems to want to tear apart the nation during a global pandemic on behalf of a PoS scumbag that believes the only fair outcome for an election is him winning. I cannot stomach this man any longer. To see the Republican Party encouraging what amounts to election stealing and nearly a coup sickens me. They are acting like puppets to this piece of garbage in office.

Apparently my date of December 14th isn't a sure day for assurance the election is over. If Senate Republicans refuse to confirm the vote on January 6th, then we could be screwed as well. This is turning into a real attempt by Donald Trump and the Republican Party to overturn an election. We won't find out if they are willing to rip the nation apart to support this scumbag until January 6th.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:46 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I hate Donald Trump now. This man is sowing chaos in our nation. If the Republicans play games with electoral votes, I doubt I'll vote Republican any longer given the Republican Party seems to want to tear apart the nation during a global pandemic on behalf of a PoS scumbag that believes the only fair outcome for an election is him winning. I cannot stomach this man any longer. To see the Republican Party encouraging what amounts to election stealing and nearly a coup sickens me. They are acting like puppets to this piece of garbage in office.

Apparently my date of December 14th isn't a sure day for assurance the election is over. If Senate Republicans refuse to confirm the vote on January 6th, then we could be screwed as well. This is turning into a real attempt by Donald Trump and the Republican Party to overturn an election. We won't find out if they are willing to rip the nation apart to support this scumbag until January 6th.

It's very difficult for me to rationalize the behavior of a good percentage of Republican politicians. While some have behaved very responsibly and said the right thins and others have remained quiet, there's a good 1/3 of them that seem hell bent on defying what is now an over the top attempt to disenfranchise millions of voters. They've had an opportunity to make their case and had their day in court.

As far as my ever voting Republican again, I won't go that far as I'll continue to judge each candidate on their own merits irrespective of the capital letter behind their name.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:07 am

RiverDog wrote:
It's very difficult for me to rationalize the behavior of a good percentage of Republican politicians. While some have behaved very responsibly and said the right thins and others have remained quiet, there's a good 1/3 of them that seem hell bent on defying what is now an over the top attempt to disenfranchise millions of voters. They've had an opportunity to make their case and had their day in court.

As far as my ever voting Republican again, I won't go that far as I'll continue to judge each candidate on their own merits irrespective of the capital letter behind their name.

At this point I believe its about 25 R legislators TOTAL in the house and senate that have acknowledged publicly that Biden has won. Less than that have officially congratulated him 5 weeks after the election. About 90 % of republican legislators house and senate have yet to formally recognize the president elect, even after a 9-0 whitewash in the court that was the biggest reason we needed Donald for anyway right????Now the SCOTUS is the deep state, part of the corrupt establishment.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Who are the snowflakes now???? Who has the TDS again???? :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

I will never support this Trump party again, ever. There will be current and former members Ill support, Id love to see the Lincoln project support some independent candidates, republicans with a spine that opposed trump. Its the only kind ill ever support again. The Trump party is not going away and its never going to behave in a rational fashion.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:43 am

Hawktawk wrote:At this point I believe its about 25 R legislators TOTAL in the house and senate that have acknowledged publicly that Biden has won. Less than that have officially congratulated him 5 weeks after the election. About 90 % of republican legislators house and senate have yet to formally recognize the president elect, even after a 9-0 whitewash in the court that was the biggest reason we needed Donald for anyway right????Now the SCOTUS is the deep state, part of the corrupt establishment.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Who are the snowflakes now???? Who has the TDS again???? :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

There are a number of R's, including some of the state AG's that joined the lawsuit, that have acknowledged that it's over:

“The Supreme Court has ruled. The Electoral College is going to meet Monday. We’ve got to accept the results,” Mr. Hunter (OK's AG) said in a Facebook interview in Oklahoma City. “We need to play the hand we’re dealt.”

A statement by Wayne Stenehjem, the North Dakota attorney general, echoed that. “It now appears that all reasonably arguable legal challenges have been exhausted, and the members of the Electoral College will meet across the country on Monday.”

Derek Schmidt, the Kansas attorney general, summed it up with a statement saying, “It is time to put this election behind us.”

Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, a Republican who had disagreed with the decision by his state’s attorney general to join the case, said there was no viable path forward for Mr. Trump.

“The electoral votes should be cast on Monday, and all indications are that Joe Biden will be the president-elect at that time,” Mr. Hutchinson said in a telephone interview, urging the country to move on. “It’s the tradition of our country and the history of our democracy that we do move on beyond that hard-fought election and we unite and we recognize the president-elect’s leadership.”

"The electoral votes should be cast on Monday, and all indications are that Joe Biden will be the president-elect at that time,” Mr. Hutchinson said in a telephone interview, urging the country to move on. “It’s the tradition of our country and the history of our democracy that we do move on beyond that hard-fought election and we unite and we recognize the president-elect’s leadership.”

"At some point, we have to be that nation of laws,” Senator Bill Cassidy, Republican of Louisiana.

"I want to be clear: the Supreme Court is not the deep state,” Mr. Kinzinger (R-IL) wrote in one tweet. “The case had no merit and was dispatched 9-0. There was no win here. Complaining and bellyaching is not a manly trait, it’s actually sad. Real men accept a loss with grace.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp

Although they're late in doing so and not nearly enough of them, there are a number of them that are now saying the right things.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:54 am

And come Jan21st enter Mitch McConnell who will block everything Biden tries to do in an effort to make him a 1 term President.
Biden will probably only serve one term anyway because of his age, but hamstringing the administration is the objective in order to
set the table for the Republican candidate in 2024.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:03 am

NorthHawk wrote:And come Jan21st enter Mitch McConnell who will block everything Biden tries to do in an effort to make him a 1 term President.
Biden will probably only serve one term anyway because of his age, but hamstringing the administration is the objective in order to set the table for the Republican candidate in 2024.

Depending on the outcome of the Georgia runoff election, the Republicans will hold at best a 2 seat majority, so McConnell could afford just one defection, and with moderates like Collins, Murkowski, etc, he's not going to be able to prevent everything from coming to pass. At worst, there would be a 50/50 split, with VP Harris breaking ties. Additionally, the Senate Republicans will be at a disadvantage in the 2022 midterms as the R's will be defending 21 seats while the D's are defending just 13. McConnell is not going to be nearly as powerful in the next 4 years as he has been in the past.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:13 am

The size of the majority isn't relevant if Mitch is still the guy that decides whether or not the Senate even votes on whatever it is.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:32 am

c_hawkbob wrote:The size of the majority isn't relevant if Mitch is still the guy that decides whether or not the Senate even votes on whatever it is.

True, so long as the R's hold the majority. There's a possibility that they will lose both races in Georgia, in which case they would not hold the majority, and as I stated, the math in the 2022 midterms is already against them.

McConnell won't hold the same degree of power and influence that he has in past years.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:51 pm

RiverDog wrote:True, so long as the R's hold the majority. There's a possibility that they will lose both races in Georgia, in which case they would not hold the majority, and as I stated, the math in the 2022 midterms is already against them.

McConnell won't hold the same degree of power and influence that he has in past years.

Didn't you say the math was against them this election too? People may hate Trump a whole lot, but I'm not seeing a lot of people who love Democrats much either. Even Anderson Cooper stated that exit polling stated that many people voting for Biden did so as a vote against Trump, not as a show of support for the Democrats.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:24 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Didn't you say the math was against them this election too? People may hate Trump a whole lot, but I'm not seeing a lot of people who love Democrats much either. Even Anderson Cooper stated that exit polling stated that many people voting for Biden did so as a vote against Trump, not as a show of support for the Democrats.

What I mean by "the math" is a factual statement regarding how many seats each party has to defend. In 2020, the R's were defending nearly twice the number of Senate seats that the D's were, which is one of the reasons why there was so much optimism about the D's reclaiming the Senate and one of the reasons why 2020 is considered a failure for the Congressional Democrats even though they actually gained a little ground in the Senate.

I am not making a prediction. What I am saying is a fact: The math favors the D's in the 2022 Senate elections.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:52 pm

RiverDog wrote:What I mean by "the math" is a factual statement regarding how many seats each party has to defend. In 2020, the R's were defending nearly twice the number of Senate seats that the D's were, which is one of the reasons why there was so much optimism about the D's reclaiming the Senate and one of the reasons why 2020 is considered a failure for the Congressional Democrats even though they actually gained a little ground in the Senate.

I am not making a prediction. What I am saying is a fact: The math favors the D's in the 2022 Senate elections.

I don't view elections as math like you do I guess. I view them as an expression of the values held by Americans. What they believe in and what they believe is best for the nation. Math alone doesn't allow either party to win. It is what they represent. Right now I believe what the Democrats represent is viewed as a negative for the nation by a majority, which is why they almost lost to a terrible person like Trump again, lost seats in the House, and why the Republicans are likely to hold on to the Senate. At some point in time you have to look at what you represent and if it is what Americans want. You can't keep on trying to shove ideas down throats that people don't want or view as dangerous.

We're reaching a point of division right now that looks ready to rip this nation apart on a lot of issues. I hope someone a lot smarter than Trump doesn't take hold of this serious division in our values and use that divide to rip this nation apart. That sure seems to be the direction we're heading in. I've never seen us this vulnerable to division as now. Not sure how we reconcile these issues with a media seemingly intent on inflaming the divide.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:41 pm

RiverDog wrote:What I mean by "the math" is a factual statement regarding how many seats each party has to defend. In 2020, the R's were defending nearly twice the number of Senate seats that the D's were, which is one of the reasons why there was so much optimism about the D's reclaiming the Senate and one of the reasons why 2020 is considered a failure for the Congressional Democrats even though they actually gained a little ground in the Senate.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I don't view elections as math like you do I guess. I view them as an expression of the values held by Americans.

You're getting hung up on semantics. All I am doing is giving a name to a fact: In both 2020 and 2022, the Republicans had/will have to defend more Senate seats than the Democrats. With all other things being equal, the odds, or the "math", would favor the Democrats as the Republicans have to win more elections to maintain the seats that are up for re-election. That is an undeniable fact.

Aseahawkfan wrote:We're reaching a point of division right now that looks ready to rip this nation apart on a lot of issues. I hope someone a lot smarter than Trump doesn't take hold of this serious division in our values and use that divide to rip this nation apart. That sure seems to be the direction we're heading in. I've never seen us this vulnerable to division as now. Not sure how we reconcile these issues with a media seemingly intent on inflaming the divide.

I agree. The pandemic and the associated shut down couldn't have come at a worse time when the gulf between right and left was already widening. It's highlighted the divisions, added fuel to the fire. That's why I am not for engaging in any type of revenge-motivated actions like prosecuting Trump or removing Congressmen without a vote of the people even though I agree with them in principle. If I thought either of those proposed actions would help heal the country, I'd agree to them in a heart beat. But I'm sick and tired of this let's get even, eye for an eye hate that has been flowing on both extremes of the political spectrum.

I have confidence that we'll eventually get over it, but it won't be anytime soon and things are libel to get worse before they get better.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:15 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Didn't you say the math was against them this election too? People may hate Trump a whole lot, but I'm not seeing a lot of people who love Democrats much either. Even Anderson Cooper stated that exit polling stated that many people voting for Biden did so as a vote against Trump, not as a show of support for the Democrats.

You hit the nail right on the head. It explains the results quite well. It demonstrates how much voter enthusiasm the trumpanzees had as they raised their vote totals by 10 million from 2016.That was stunning to me and many experts . It demonstrated 80 million times that the HATRED OF TRUMP by Biden voters was deeper than anyone could have imagined who was not a trump HATER. I and many many other would have voted for a ham sandwich. The dem candidate wasn't completely irrelevant. I got the guy i wanted but I and most other trump HATERS would have voted for anyone running . The most interesting thing is the split ballots all over the country, even in Georgia where Biden got 90K more votes than the D senate candidate Jon Ossoff.

It demonstrated a centrist american electorate the clear majority of hates Trump passionately, wanted him gone but doesn't like liberal policies either. It would be a beautiful harmonious time in america except 69 % of republicans dont now and never will accept this result that actually has good news in it for them, for the most part due to Trump unamerican undemocratic BS. Even in getting rid of him we will never be rid of him.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:47 am

Well, I guess it's REALLY official that Biden is the president-elect:

"Vladimir Putin wished the President-elect every success and expressed confidence that Russia and the United States, which bear special responsibility for global security and stability, despite their differences can truly contribute to solving many problems and challenges that the world is currently facing," a Kremlin readout said on Tuesday.

Putin noted that "Russian-American cooperation based on the principles of equality and mutual respect would meet the interests of people in both countries as well as the entire international community. For my part, I am ready for cooperation and contacts with you."

------

Funny that this sounds way more official and credible than anything I've read from media or politicians in the US. How sad is that?
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:59 am

I-5 wrote:Well, I guess it's REALLY official that Biden is the president-elect:

"Vladimir Putin wished the President-elect every success and expressed confidence that Russia and the United States, which bear special responsibility for global security and stability, despite their differences can truly contribute to solving many problems and challenges that the world is currently facing," a Kremlin readout said on Tuesday.

Putin noted that "Russian-American cooperation based on the principles of equality and mutual respect would meet the interests of people in both countries as well as the entire international community. For my part, I am ready for cooperation and contacts with you."

------

Funny that this sounds way more official and credible than anything I've read from media or politicians in the US. How sad is that?

It depends on who you listen to. Since Election Night, there's never been a doubt in my mind who won the election or that on Jan. 20th that Joe Biden will become the 46th POTUS.

I asked this in the other thread and didn't receive an answer. There were all sorts of fears that yesterday there would be violence at the nation's capitol and in places like Lansing, Michigan as the electoral college vote was cast. I saw all sorts of stories and reports about all the increased security by LE agencies and people like Hawktalk and ASF worrying about a brewing revolution. But nothing happened. Where were the Proud Boys? Where were the riots and violent demonstrations that Hawktalk and ASF feared?

Despite “credible threat of violence,” Michigan’s Electoral College vote went smoothly.

Thankfully, plots to disrupt the Electoral College votes with violence or otherwise have not come to fruition.

https://www.vox.com/2020/12/14/22174486 ... ence-trump
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:30 am

Where were the Prod Boys and others?
It would seem the measures with Police and using secret locations and back doors had something to do with it going smoothly.
That those measures had to happen speaks volumes to the concerns about the voters safety. I'm just glad it went well and without incident.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:45 am

NorthHawk wrote:Where were the Prod Boys and others? It would seem the measures with Police and using secret locations and back doors had something to do with it going smoothly. That those measures had to happen speaks volumes to the concerns about the voters safety. I'm just glad it went well and without incident.

Arizona cast their votes from an undisclosed location and Nevada did theirs via remote video, but I'm not aware of any other "undisclosed locations" where the Electoral College took place. They were all televised live and the results tabulated in real time on CNN, Fox, and other networks. In Lansing, MI, the site of armed protests and where a state legislator actually threatened violence himself and the most likely spot for a violent and/or large demonstration, the vote there was taken in the state capitol, at a publicly disclosed time, and it went off without a hitch:

While a Michigan State Police spokeswoman said Monday she was unaware of any specific threats, officers patrolled the Capitol halls and stood near entryways to the state Senate. Only a handful of protesters stood outside the Capitol, some holding signs calling for electors to support Trump.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politi ... 538683002/

IMO the fact that there was no significant acts of violence or large demonstrations of the Electoral College vote was the result of something else other than the security precautions. The fact is that there was nothing close to the scale of what some in the media and here in this forum were expecting. These threats of armed violence and widespread demonstrations that members in this forum have been hysterically wringing their hands over were way overblown. It's Y2K all over again.

Now tell me again how I have this tendency to downplay things.
Last edited by RiverDog on Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:07 am

You have a tendency to downplay things.

There.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:09 am

c_hawkbob wrote:You have a tendency to downplay things.

There.

Thanks! :lol:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:57 am

RiverDog wrote:It depends on who you listen to. Since Election Night, there's never been a doubt in my mind who won the election or that on Jan. 20th that Joe Biden will become the 46th POTUS.

I asked this in the other thread and didn't receive an answer. There were all sorts of fears that yesterday there would be violence at the nation's capitol and in places like Lansing, Michigan as the electoral college vote was cast. I saw all sorts of stories and reports about all the increased security by LE agencies and people like Hawktalk and ASF worrying about a brewing revolution. But nothing happened. Where were the Proud Boys? Where were the riots and violent demonstrations that Hawktalk and ASF feared?

Despite “credible threat of violence,” Michigan’s Electoral College vote went smoothly.

Thankfully, plots to disrupt the Electoral College votes with violence or otherwise have not come to fruition.

https://www.vox.com/2020/12/14/22174486 ... ence-trump

I didn't tell you there would be violence during the electoral vote. I told you there would be violence if the Republican Senate refused to acknowledge the electoral vote on January 6th. Now it seems the Senate Republicans plan to honor the electoral vote, so that will calm down the immediate problem.

Now the movement to assassinate Biden and other Republicans will be the work of the F.B.I. and intelligence organizations because some are apparently talking about trying to assassinate Biden.

You aren't much keeping up with the crazy. That's fine. The most likely means of starting a violent revolution ended which is the Senate refusing to confirm the electoral votes. So we should be good overall, but as far as small acts out of violence and attempts on Biden's life, that isn't over yet.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:44 pm

Yeah, it's not like you can take the 90% position and argue with people that it should be a 99% position and then say "I told you so", the other position was always that it probably would not happen as well.
Last edited by c_hawkbob on Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic