micheal vick...POS

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

micheal vick...POS

Postby zackole » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:19 pm

What the f*** is Micheal Vick doing on Fox sports....oh that's right...Fox Sports....

Vick, Peace and Phillips hung approximately three dogs who did not perform well in a "rolling session," which indicates the readiness of a dog to fight. According to the report, the three men hung the dogs "by placing a nylon cord over a 2 X 4 that was nailed to two trees located next to the big shed. They also drowned approximately three dogs by putting the dogs' heads in a five gallon bucket of water."
zackole
Legacy

Re: micheal vick...POS

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:19 am

zackole wrote:What the f*** is Micheal Vick doing on Fox sports....oh that's right...Fox Sports....

Vick, Peace and Phillips hung approximately three dogs who did not perform well in a "rolling session," which indicates the readiness of a dog to fight. According to the report, the three men hung the dogs "by placing a nylon cord over a 2 X 4 that was nailed to two trees located next to the big shed. They also drowned approximately three dogs by putting the dogs' heads in a five gallon bucket of water."

I don't watch much of the pregame or halftime part of a broadcast if I can avoid it so I didn't notice Vick making an appearance. Taking your word for it, I agree that it was probably a poor choice by Fox Sports as Vick is still a lightning rod.

Having said that, Michael Vick has paid his debt to society. He served 18 months in a federal penitentiary and has renounced his former activities. His case brought to light the truly evil activity of dog fighting. Had he not been involved in it, there would not have been the same national attention drawn to the activity as there was. Numerous laws were passed in response to the Vick incident. Vick himself has become an advocate against animal cruelty. He's done an about face.

Vick was present and accounted for earlier this week at the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, where he was lobbying for passage of an animal-rights bill that would allow police officers to rescue dogs or cats from vehicles if it reaches an unsafe temperature.

"I know that I'm an unlikely advocate," Vick said. "I was part of the problem."

Once he got out of prison, he (Vick) partnered with Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States. He released two video public-service announcements to stop animal cruelty. He has gone to schools to tell inner-city kids about the horrors of growing up in that culture. Vick has paid his own expenses when speaking at anti-dog fighting forums.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ ... olumn.html

It seems to me that Vick has genuinely seen the error of his ways. It's been over 11 years since he was released from prison, and he's been a model citizen ever since. At what point do we forgive him? Never?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 am

I have forgiven him, but the women in my family have not.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:38 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I have forgiven him, but the women in my family have not.

Hehe. Yeah, me, too. I have a good friend from high school that had started a petition on Facebook when Vick was selected as an honorary co captain in the Pro Bowl a couple of years back. She is very much a God fearing individual but I'll be damned if I couldn't convince her to come to terms with her hate for him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:44 am

We have an unindicted felon in the white house accused of rape by 25 women and I could go on and on about any number of people who did far worse things. Vick has paid his debt to society and he has every right to make a living.

I had a buddy in Vancouver who had a fighting pit bull when I was 21 and working construction on I 205. He showed it to me, all scarred up with chunks of ears missing.I tried to pet it and almost got my fingers bitten off. He said it had never lost. I really didn't think about it at the time. Now I understand how awful it is.

Aaron Hernandez played a year of NFL football having committed at least 2 murders and attempting a couple more. Vick is pretty far down my list of bad people nowadays.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:46 am

Hawktawk wrote: Aaron Hernandez played a year of NFL football having committed at least 2 murders and attempting a couple more. Vick is pretty far down my list of bad people nowadays.

Same here. I'm a confirmed animal lover. Except for my college days, I have never been without a dog as a pet. My wife is even more of a pet lover. She would make me buy rotisserie chicken so she could give it to our dogs. We feed our dog dry dog food that costs $1.75/pound. That's one of the reasons why I adapted my online name.

Nevertheless, they are not the equivalent of a human being.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 am

RiverDog wrote:Nevertheless, they are not the equivalent of a human being.

They are better than human beings by far. Its probably TMI but I was raised by a violent mentally ill father who abused every one of his kids physically and otherwise and I also witnessed extreme animal cruelty by him. He would kick a dog right in the ribs, probably break a few for barking and damn if it wasn't licking his hand an hour later. I finally stood up to him in my early 20s when he smashed a rock the size of a football on the back of a big golden lab we had. I told him to stop or I was gonna kick his ass and I never witnessed anything like that out of him again. Honestly I needed a long time to reconcile the role of pets in my life, I was kind of afraid to get attached.

Now I have an old broke down Jack Russell we got from the vet after his owners had brought him in all busted up at age 2 to be put down. The vet signed off on him to give him a chance. His legs are falling apart from arthritis and abuse in his first home. He would squeal anytime your feet were near him when we first got him so I know he was getting punted. He is also very protective of Momma, literally he will bite me if I make a quick move around my wife. My guess is his first owner was a lot like dad. The one good thing the POS did is name him MOPAR after my favorite hot rod brand of all time. He's my makeup dog, truly my rescue animal. He will sit on my lap for hours.The only dog I've ever let lick my face. Not sure what im gonna do when he passes assuming I outlive him.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 am

RiverDog wrote:Nevertheless, they are not the equivalent of a human being.

Hawktawk wrote:They are better than human beings by far. Its probably TMI but I was raised by a violent mentally ill father who abused every one of his kids physically and otherwise and I also witnessed extreme animal cruelty by him. He would kick a dog right in the ribs, probably break a few for barking and damn if it wasn't licking his hand an hour later. I finally stood up to him in my early 20s when he smashed a rock the size of a football on the back of a big golden lab we had. I told him to stop or I was gonna kick his ass and I never witnessed anything like that out of him again. Honestly I needed a long time to reconcile the role of pets in my life, I was kind of afraid to get attached.

I can understand and agree with your sentiment. I was speaking from a legal standpoint as much as I was a moral one. There are some people, such as those you referred to, that I have a lot less respect for than one of my dogs.

Hawktawk wrote:Now I have an old broke down Jack Russell we got from the vet after his owners had brought him in all busted up at age 2 to be put down. The vet signed off on him to give him a chance. His legs are falling apart from arthritis and abuse in his first home. He would squeal anytime your feet were near him when we first got him so I know he was getting punted. He is also very protective of Momma, literally he will bite me if I make a quick move around my wife. My guess is his first owner was a lot like dad. The one good thing the POS did is name him MOPAR after my favorite hot rod brand of all time. He's my makeup dog, truly my rescue animal. He will sit on my lap for hours.The only dog I've ever let lick my face. Not sure what im gonna do when he passes assuming I outlive him.

Neat story.

Although I don't suspect that she was abused or intentionally mistreated, we adapted a 2 year old Chesapeake Bay retriever that had very little human contact and was extremely difficult to train until we figured out that she had a special aversion to electrical shock. In any event, that dog was extremely territorial and caused us some big problems. But it also came with some advantages. When I was working swing and graveyard shifts leaving my wife at home by herself, that dog was a huge comfort to her as if a home invasion was ever attempted at our house, they would have had to kill the dog.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:59 am

Pets you adopt are like a box of chocolates. you never know what you are gonna get.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am

Hawktawk wrote:Pets you adopt are like a box of chocolates. you never know what you are gonna get.

In a way, you do get to pick out which chocolate you want. Our current dog, a 2 year old black lab, we got through a Craig's List ad. We knew we had the right dog when we saw how gentle he was around little kids and other animals. He has the potential to be the best dog I've ever had, as he doesn't chew stuff or dig holes, hardly barks at all, and isn't an escape artist. He won't jump on people or little kids. My only complaint is that when he poops, it's like he's standing on a turntable, making it very difficult to clean up. The wife treats him like a child, lets him sit on our living room sectional.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic