Trump's End Game....time to call his bluff

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Trump's End Game....time to call his bluff

Postby I-5 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Pasted from a twitter series post (I won't say who it came from yet, but some of you probably already know who):

"I’m no political pundit but I grew up w a dad who was a federal prosecutor & he taught me a lot & I’ve also sat a fair amount of poker w serious players & l’ll say this: I do not think Trump is trying to ‘make his base happy’ or ‘laying the groundwork for his own network’, or that ‘chaos is what he loves’. The core of it is that he knows he’s in deep, multi-dimensional legal jeopardy & this defines his every action. We’re seeing 1) a tactical delay of the transition to buy time for coverup & evidence suppression 2) above all, a desperate endgame, which is to create enough chaos & anxiety about peaceful transfer of power, & fear of irreparable damage to the system, that he can cut a Nixon-style deal in exchange for finally conceding. But he doesn’t have the cards. His bluff after ‘the flop’ has been called in court.

His ‘turn card’ bluff will be an escalation & his ‘River card’ bluff could be really ugly. But they have to be called. We cannot let this mobster bully the USA into a deal to save his ass by threatening our democracy. THAT is his play. But he’s got junk in his hand. So call him.

I will allow that he’s also a whiny, sulky, petulant, Grinchy, vindictive little 10-ply-super-soft b**** who no doubt is just throwing a wicked pout fest & trying to give a tiny-hand middle finger to the whole country for pure spite, without a single thought for the dead & dying. But his contemptible, treasonous, seditious assault on the stability of our political compact isn’t about 2024, personal enrichment or anything else other than trying to use chaos & threat to the foundation of the system as leverage to trade for a safe exit. Call. His. Bluff.

Faith in the strength of our sacred institutions & founding principles is severely stretched...but they will hold. They will. He’s leaving, gracelessly & in infamy. But if we trade for it, give him some brokered settlement, we’ll be vulnerable to his return. We can’t flinch."

---------------

End of post. Agree or disagree? I've also heard that he's collecting money to line his legal defense, as well as building followers for a new media channel. But the bottom line is that the SDNY is waiting for him, and as soon as he's free from the White House, they're coming for him, and he is rightfully SCARED.
I-5
Legacy

Re: Trump's End Game....time to call his bluff

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:50 pm

I-5 wrote:Pasted from a twitter series post (I won't say who it came from yet, but some of you probably already know who):

"I’m no political pundit but I grew up w a dad who was a federal prosecutor & he taught me a lot & I’ve also sat a fair amount of poker w serious players & l’ll say this: I do not think Trump is trying to ‘make his base happy’ or ‘laying the groundwork for his own network’, or that ‘chaos is what he loves’. The core of it is that he knows he’s in deep, multi-dimensional legal jeopardy & this defines his every action. We’re seeing 1) a tactical delay of the transition to buy time for coverup & evidence suppression 2) above all, a desperate endgame, which is to create enough chaos & anxiety about peaceful transfer of power, & fear of irreparable damage to the system, that he can cut a Nixon-style deal in exchange for finally conceding. But he doesn’t have the cards. His bluff after ‘the flop’ has been called in court.

His ‘turn card’ bluff will be an escalation & his ‘River card’ bluff could be really ugly. But they have to be called. We cannot let this mobster bully the USA into a deal to save his ass by threatening our democracy. THAT is his play. But he’s got junk in his hand. So call him.

I will allow that he’s also a whiny, sulky, petulant, Grinchy, vindictive little 10-ply-super-soft b**** who no doubt is just throwing a wicked pout fest & trying to give a tiny-hand middle finger to the whole country for pure spite, without a single thought for the dead & dying. But his contemptible, treasonous, seditious assault on the stability of our political compact isn’t about 2024, personal enrichment or anything else other than trying to use chaos & threat to the foundation of the system as leverage to trade for a safe exit. Call. His. Bluff.

Faith in the strength of our sacred institutions & founding principles is severely stretched...but they will hold. They will. He’s leaving, gracelessly & in infamy. But if we trade for it, give him some brokered settlement, we’ll be vulnerable to his return. We can’t flinch."

---------------

End of post. Agree or disagree? I've also heard that he's collecting money to line his legal defense, as well as building followers for a new media channel. But the bottom line is that the SDNY is waiting for him, and as soon as he's free from the White House, they're coming for him, and he is rightfully SCARED.

Boy, that guy has more colorful and laughable superlatives to describe Donald Trump than Hawktalk has!

Interesting theory, but I have to disagree. Trump isn't that smart. IMO it's his narcissistic personality that's driving him to propose these outlandish conspiracy theories and preventing him from conceding.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:01 pm

RIv, I don't think it takes any intelligence to be SCARED. He's trying to delay the inevitable.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:07 pm

I-5 wrote:RIv, I don't think it takes any intelligence to be SCARED. He's trying to delay the inevitable.

No, it doesn't. But it does take intelligence to employ a strategy of a "tactical delay of the transition to buy time for coverup & evidence suppression". Unless that strategy has been proposed by one of Trump's advisors, that kind of rational, calculated action is beyond Trump's mental capabilities.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:16 pm

I think he does want to force a deal.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:34 pm

Unless that strategy has been proposed by one of Trump's advisors, that kind of rational, calculated action is beyond Trump's mental capabilities.

Yes, just imagine him asking his lawyers, 'what can we do to delay this a little longer'?' That's the extent of his intelligence.

What's so great is that all the bluster and hot air you hear, both at his rallies and on some right wing media about fraudulent elections...it all falls apart in front of a judge. Fake news works great in media, but it just doesn't work in a court of law.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:10 pm

I-5 wrote:What's so great is that all the bluster and hot air you hear, both at his rallies and on some right wing media about fraudulent elections...it all falls apart in front of a judge. Fake news works great in media, but it just doesn't work in a court of law.

Yup, even in courts where he's hand picked the judges. It's one of the great strengths of our country, that we have this thing called checks and balances that prevents a tyrant like Trump from retaining power when he's clearly no longer wanted.

SCOTUS is supposed to "meet" tomorrow in a remote conference. I hope they dismiss this latest stunt out of Texas during their meeting rather than letting it hang in the air. The longer this uncertainty exists, the more worked up people get.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:06 am

Very funny way the tweeter has of breaking down something totally not funny, not safe, unamerican, name the superlative.

Funny how all my over the top rhetoric of a few years ago "crazy orange satan" doesn't seem so over the top at all. :lol: :lol: :lol: I dont think antichrist is too far fetched at this point :evil: :evil:

I'm with this tweeter guy now and I truly wasn't election eve. I thought we needed to live and let live, let him slink off to face his state charges he will buy his way out of, seek asylum in russia(Russian media is discussing it) whatever.Just GTFO and go away..

The last 5 weeks starting with Nov 4 at 2 AM when Trump announced he had won the election and ordered the votes to stop being counted with 35 million votes still out changed all that permanently.It's only gotten worse to the point a clearly defeated president has a roll call for history of 19 AGs and 104 congresspeople willing to ask the SCOTUS to vote dear leader as president.These are people who know he's lost but they dont care. The cult is more important than 80 million votes.

Trump should be locked up right now for his CURRENT ACTIONS OF SEDITION.He's abandoned ship entirely in terms of leading other than weakening our national defense, environmental protections, rewarding and pardoning cronies. As his own WH task force warns of more deaths than 911 DAILY for the next "60 to 90 days". This is a failure to perform his duties. The man should be removed under the 25th amendment right now. There may be a deal working but he will NEVER CONCEDE. he will never undo the damage he's done to america with this display.

Prosecute the SOB to the fullest extent of the law and prosecute anyone who rises up violently to defend this treasonous POS. We take back our system of laws now or never.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:27 am

It honestly seems as though he is doing just as much harm as possible on his way out; from accelerated federal execution (and even trying to authorize hangings and firing squads to facilitate) to selling off oil exploration leases on pristine federal land to fleecing his own donators to line his own pockets, all seemingly born of pure spite and hatred.

Then with his pathetic incessant whining and begging for anything to happen to allow him to stay in office, and all of his staunch tough guy supporters turning into the same whiney little snowflakes ... this is truly an embarrassing time to be a patriot with a functioning brain.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:46 am

c_hawkbob wrote:It honestly seems as though he is doing just as much harm as possible on his way out; from accelerated federal execution (and even trying to authorize hangings and firing squads to facilitate) to selling off oil exploration leases on pristine federal land to fleecing his own donators to line his own pockets, all seemingly born of pure spite and hatred.

Then with his pathetic incessant whining and begging for anything to happen to allow him to stay in office, and all of his staunch tough guy supporters turning into the same whiney little snowflakes ... this is truly an embarrassing time to be a patriot with a functioning brain.

I can't say that I disagree with that take. It is very disappointing to say the least.

But I remain convinced that we'll get through it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:24 am

I'm sure we will too, but not unscathed. It'll take years to recover from this pr!ck.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:29 am

Yep, I said before the election that he would burn the whole place down if he could save himself. He simply doesn’t care about the country or anything but himself. I knew HT wasn’t exaggerating. Trump is simply being who he has ALWAYS been - narcissist. Why would any of us expect him to behave differently or any more mature now that’s he POTUS? Getting through this isn’t the question, I’m just surprised if anyone is surprised.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:56 pm

I don't think it will take years to recover from Trump. But he sure is stinking things up before he departs. Who would expect anything less of a piece of trash narcissist.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:10 pm

I think quite a few people here did expect he would behave better, as in 'go quietly away'. I sure did not. I agree that it won't take years to recover, but only because I don't know if we will EVER recover from the trash he brought in (126 republicans signed their name to the BC lawsuit that the Texas AG tried to bring to the SCOTUS). There is no going back to nomal, ever.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:33 pm

I-5 wrote:I think quite a few people here did expect he would behave better, as in 'go quietly away'. I sure did not. I agree that it won't take years to recover, but only because I don't know if we will EVER recover from the trash he brought in (126 republicans signed their name to the BC lawsuit that the Texas AG tried to bring to the SCOTUS). There is no going back to nomal, ever.

Yes, there is. We've gone back to normal after almost everything we've ever experienced. That's just human nature that once things are past, things return to normal to forget.

No one will care after a few years. One nice thing about humans is they have a marvelous ability to return to normal after the stressors are gone. Humans are very forgetful and move on to the next thing to stir them up after the other issue is gone.

None of this is anything close to the end of anything. We will return to normal. Our nation will be fine. We'll all forget about Trump. Just like America got past everything in its past it ever dealt with. The world is changing and doesn't have time to dwell long on anything. It just keeps moving and moving and moving. Yet some of you act like these situations are some event that will last forever and yet none of them ever do.

Why you can't act rational? Why? Why would you want to hold on to this period of time in your head anyway? What is it going to accomplish?

Trump will be gone soon. This pandemic will end. I for one will look forward to a return to normal and moving on from this guy's trash.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:37 pm

No one will care after a few years. One nice thing about humans is they have a marvelous ability to return to normal after the stressors are gone. Humans are very forgetful and move on to the next thing to stir them up after the other issue is gone.

Normally I'd agree, no one being is that important...but this is not one of those times. No one has ever trashed the office like this scum has, and unless they start changing laws around what a president can and can't do, he has opened the door to someone possibly worse in the future (like someone said, was it RIv?), what if he had actually been smart? He will be memorable the way Washington, Lincoln, or FDR was memorable, but for the very worst reasons. Just judging by how many americans needlessly died because of his inaction, that has already cemented his place at the bottom of the barrel. All those families who needlessly lost loved ones, including his supporters, will never be the same. I wish I was wrong, but I know I'm not.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm

I-5 wrote:Normally I'd agree, no one being is that important...but this is not one of those times. No one has ever trashed the office like this scum has, and unless they start changing laws around what a president can and can't do, he has opened the door to someone possibly worse in the future (like someone said, was it RIv?), what if he had actually been smart? He will be memorable the way Washington, Lincoln, or FDR was memorable, but for the very worst reasons. Just judging by how many americans needlessly died because of his inaction, that has already cemented his place at the bottom of the barrel. All those families who needlessly lost loved ones, including his supporters, will never be the same. I wish I was wrong, but I know I'm not.

Trump can go F himself. If any of us spend much more time thinking about that piece of trash narcissist after he is gone, we will be wasting even a few seconds doing so as other than humor.

Wash your brain of this scumbag as soon as you can once he's gone.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:00 am

Trump can go F himself. If any of us spend much more time thinking about that piece of trash narcissist after he is gone, we will be wasting even a few seconds doing so as other than humor.

You’re fooling yourself if you think he’ll be gone from anyone’s mind (even yours) after Inauguration Day. He will still be holding power over the cowards of the GOP with his threat to run again...that is, unless he goes to prison.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:49 am

I-5 wrote:You’re fooling yourself if you think he’ll be gone from anyone’s mind (even yours) after Inauguration Day. He will still be holding power over the cowards of the GOP with his threat to run again...that is, unless he goes to prison.

I'm honestly not sure one way or another what it's going to be like post Trump. The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that the pandemic has had a much larger psychological effect on the country than any of us could have imagined that it's the root cause of all this madness and hysteria. IMO it's one of the factors in this unexpectedly close election. Will the country return to some sense of normalcy once the pandemic ends and people resume their regular lives again?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:15 am

I think he's going to sit on the sidelines taking pot shots at everyone and everything along with influencing the direction of the Republican Party.
He wants to be the power broker and not be irrelevant and with his base support, he just might be. It might be a double edged sword, though
as he is less relevant in peoples daily lives, his support might dwindle to the point of limited influence or maybe even derision in some parts that
voted for him because they couldn't vote Dem or believed in the lies about Biden.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Will the country return to some sense of normalcy once the pandemic ends and people resume their regular lives again?

We all want it to, but I don’t think we can reasonably expect it to. The post Covid-world will have permanent changes, just like the post-Trump world. It would be naive to expect otherwise. Exactly what those changes are no one can say, but I predict the airline industry will be a huge example for one, in terms of companies going out of business, and how the travel industry will change even after the vaccine is administered (not unlike how airline security changed permanently after 9/11). Politics-wise, also expect permanent changes, and maybe the death or reformation of a party. Most of all, I hope they put in hard laws to replace unwritten codes of what a president can and can’t do.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:58 pm

Will the country return to some sense of normalcy once the pandemic ends and people resume their regular lives again?

I-5 wrote:We all want it to, but I don’t think we can reasonably expect it to. The post Covid-world will have permanent changes, just like the post-Trump world. It would be naive to expect otherwise. Exactly what those changes are no one can say, but I predict the airline industry will be a huge example for one, in terms of companies going out of business, and how the travel industry will change even after the vaccine is administered (not unlike how airline security changed permanently after 9/11). Politics-wise, also expect permanent changes, and maybe the death or reformation of a party. Most of all, I hope they put in hard laws to replace unwritten codes of what a president can and can’t do.

Some things will change permanently, like no more serve yourself buffets or salad bars. No more free samples at Costco. Airlines will have to adjust, as will the cruise industry, but I suspect that most will adapt and survive.

As far as placing restrictions on the Executive Branch, there are a few changes I'd make but I don't want to be throwing out the baby out with the bathwater. The system has worked reasonably well for some 250 years. One thing I would like to see would be for them get the DOJ out of the Executive Branch and make it responsible to the Judicial Branch. Let SCOTUS appoint the AG and FBI director.

I don't think either party is going anywhere in our lifetimes.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:44 pm

I-5 wrote:You’re fooling yourself if you think he’ll be gone from anyone’s mind (even yours) after Inauguration Day. He will still be holding power over the cowards of the GOP with his threat to run again...that is, unless he goes to prison.

I will ignore him after he is out of office. You can bank on that. The only reason I think about him right now is he is trying to launch a coup in America with the help of the Republican Party. We'll see how treasonous the Republican Party is when the electoral vote happens and they must confirm it. If they attempt to overturn an election to seat their favored president in contravention of the law and well-being of the nation, I for one will never vote Republican again.

Once again humans have a remarkable ability to forget and move on. You will see buffets again. You will see samples again. It may take a bit once this vaccine is distributed, but it will happen again. There may be more precautions for a while and a better national plan in place, but humans will return to normal. Humans will forget, especially young people who already act like they don't care. Many of the young people I work with would keep partying and gathering if not for the government intervention. They don't care. These same young people don't even think about Trump and politics and aren't particularly worried about this situation.

When you're in the middle of a situation like this, it seems far worse than it is. Once it's over, you will find not as many people as you think care. They will happily get back to normal if allowed to do so.

As far as us getting back to normal, it will happen. The government make continue to pressure lockdowns and masking until they're sure the pandemic is under control. As far as the average American and human, they won't even be thinking about what we're concerned with right now. They won't care. They will happily go back to living like they were before. The only thing that will prevent will be government intervention.

It is easy to see that humans naturally adapt and return to normal without much prodding. We will return to normal save for perhaps some additional government safeguards. Just like people don't think about 9/11 any longer. They don't think about the wars much. They go back to their way of life as humans do and have always done.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:19 pm

These types of things do change societies, but we won’t know how or to what extent for probably a decade.
Then we will be able to look back and see what changes occurred and what effect they had.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:15 pm

NorthHawk wrote:These types of things do change societies, but we won’t know how or to what extent for probably a decade.
Then we will be able to look back and see what changes occurred and what effect they had.

The government effects changes, but people largely seem to return to normal.

I do expect the government to implement better quarantine and faster lockdown procedures as well as a better global information network, but people would go back to normal right now if they were allowed to.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:34 am

NorthHawk wrote:These types of things do change societies, but we won’t know how or to what extent for probably a decade.

The government effects changes, but people largely seem to return to normal.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I do expect the government to implement better quarantine and faster lockdown procedures as well as a better global information network, but people would go back to normal right now if they were allowed to.

I don't think that everyone would 'go back to normal' right now if they were allowed to. There's still going to be a significant percentage of the public that will be reluctant to travel on certain modes, like cruise ships. The pandemic undoubtedly has changed some social patterns. I have friends from work that have taken other jobs and moved hundreds of miles away. One of my brothers-in-law had to enter assisted living. I have a neighbor that sold his home and have yet to meet the new occupants. Routine things like that pile up over the course of the year and it will take time before we socialize with a modified network of friends at the same degree as we did before the pandemic.

Hopefully we can get all 50 states to agree on a process for responding to a pandemic, but it won't be easy. The pandemic has exposed huge fractures in the social fabric of the nation, particularly where a blue state shares a border with a red state, like Washington and Idaho. It would require a Constitutional amendment to establish a common pandemic response plan as anything not defined in the Constitution, like a pandemic response, is left up to the states.

I do think that the aftermath will produce better cooperation between nations with regard to a pandemic response, but that, too, won't be easy. It's going to be difficult to gain the cooperation of closed societies, like China, Russia, and Iran.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:46 am

I-5 wrote:I think quite a few people here did expect he would behave better, as in 'go quietly away'. I sure did not. I agree that it won't take years to recover, but only because I don't know if we will EVER recover from the trash he brought in (126 republicans signed their name to the BC lawsuit that the Texas AG tried to bring to the SCOTUS). There is no going back to nomal, ever.

this right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We have never fully bounced back from any major tilt in our political axis, Not in my lifetime. Starting with my earliest memories of watergate the parties have progressively played gotcha with the incoming administration, investigated, legislated, stalled . filibustered, anything to gum up the wheels of the other party. In 2016 we added the new wrinkle of a foreign adversary as our greatest geopolitical foe Russia threw its hat in the ring. I spent 4 years in utter disbelief as flag waving patriots poo pooed this behavior or flatly denied it was even occurring in the party of law and order, right and wrong, strong national defense etc. Its being learned Paul Ryan and Kevin McCarthy etc were well aware of and believed the rumors of russian payments to Trump long before he was elected but that is what winning has come to mean in america, anything goes. Even treason.

.We already were never gonna be ok from all of that and then not only does a roundly thrashed president whose spent 4 years as a russian asset refuse to concede even after a 9-0 drubbing in the SCOTUS but 125 Rs walked the plank with him. https://www.the-sun.com/news/1959359/mi ... -stabbing/
Then of course his base is out doing this as he overfies them in marine one. Sieg heil!!! Several state electors are requesting police escorts to be able to cast their votes monday as Trumps armed fanatics are bent on stopping them.

We are all on this big plane called america and the pilots left the cockpit at 40 thousand feet and the republicans on board dont want to seat the co pilot because he's a democrat. They already put sugar in the fuel tank while we were on the tarmac.

We in a heap O trouble america.Weve never been here before. this isn't going to jst sort itself out. This was Putin's end game to destroy america from within and its working very well.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:19 pm

RiverDog wrote:I don't think that everyone would 'go back to normal' right now if they were allowed to. There's still going to be a significant percentage of the public that will be reluctant to travel on certain modes, like cruise ships. The pandemic undoubtedly has changed some social patterns. I have friends from work that have taken other jobs and moved hundreds of miles away. One of my brothers-in-law had to enter assisted living. I have a neighbor that sold his home and have yet to meet the new occupants. Routine things like that pile up over the course of the year and it will take time before we socialize with a modified network of friends at the same degree as we did before the pandemic.

Hopefully we can get all 50 states to agree on a process for responding to a pandemic, but it won't be easy. The pandemic has exposed huge fractures in the social fabric of the nation, particularly where a blue state shares a border with a red state, like Washington and Idaho. It would require a Constitutional amendment to establish a common pandemic response plan as anything not defined in the Constitution, like a pandemic response, is left up to the states.

I do think that the aftermath will produce better cooperation between nations with regard to a pandemic response, but that, too, won't be easy. It's going to be difficult to gain the cooperation of closed societies, like China, Russia, and Iran.

I thought this would happen as well. Then I saw that CCL and RCL were booking cruises with the only thing holding them back is the government mandates. The only thing holding people back from full on returning to normal and not caring is the government. Not to say some wouldn't care, but people are mostly doing what they're told to do. Once that impediment is out of the way, they'll start cruising, going to restaurants, and not caring.

I was quite surprised as I was reluctant to invest in cruise lines. But it seems as soon as people are able to cruise again, they're going to do it. Same with flights. Enough people don't give a crap they'll start rolling again. Apparently gamblers are itching to get back to Vegas and Macau. It's pretty crazy.

More people should invest and follow the financial news. Not just for the money making opportunities, but to see human behavior. People don't care as much as the media would have us think. They go about their business without concern without the mandates or government recommendations. Enough people will return to their old ways once the government mandates are lifted that it will not be noticeable that anything changed other than what the government or business requires. People hate changing their habits unless it is some new tech or a great benefit. You see that so often when you study companies and the economy.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:53 pm

RiverDog wrote:I don't think that everyone would 'go back to normal' right now if they were allowed to. There's still going to be a significant percentage of the public that will be reluctant to travel on certain modes, like cruise ships. The pandemic undoubtedly has changed some social patterns. I have friends from work that have taken other jobs and moved hundreds of miles away. One of my brothers-in-law had to enter assisted living. I have a neighbor that sold his home and have yet to meet the new occupants. Routine things like that pile up over the course of the year and it will take time before we socialize with a modified network of friends at the same degree as we did before the pandemic.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I thought this would happen as well. Then I saw that CCL and RCL were booking cruises with the only thing holding them back is the government mandates. The only thing holding people back from full on returning to normal and not caring is the government. Not to say some wouldn't care, but people are mostly doing what they're told to do. Once that impediment is out of the way, they'll start cruising, going to restaurants, and not caring.

I was quite surprised as I was reluctant to invest in cruise lines. But it seems as soon as people are able to cruise again, they're going to do it. Same with flights. Enough people don't give a crap they'll start rolling again. Apparently gamblers are itching to get back to Vegas and Macau. It's pretty crazy.

More people should invest and follow the financial news. Not just for the money making opportunities, but to see human behavior. People don't care as much as the media would have us think. They go about their business without concern without the mandates or government recommendations. Enough people will return to their old ways once the government mandates are lifted that it will not be noticeable that anything changed other than what the government or business requires. People hate changing their habits unless it is some new tech or a great benefit. You see that so often when you study companies and the economy.

Interesting. You could be right.

There is a lot of pent up demand, particularly with retired people like me. Our income hasn't been hurt whatsoever by the pandemic because we're on fixed income. With nothing to spend it on, we have more money to spend on traveling and other things now than we did a year ago.

6 months or so ago, we decided to upgrade our motor home situation, so we've been in the market for a new one. Due to dimensional constraints in the building we want to park it in, there's only a handful of models that will work, but we couldn't find any in the entire Northwest, new or used. Our 18 year old old RV sold for more than what I hoped to get for it without us even to have to put it on the market. There is a huge demand for them as camping is about the only thing that's been allowed during the pandemic. We finally ended up putting a deposit down on a new, factory ordered motor home from a dealership in Las Vegas. They're going to pay for my travel expenses to go pick it up this spring.

That's why I'm so anxious to get vaccinated: So I can have a little fun when I go to Las Vegas to pick up my motor home.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:05 pm

RiverDog wrote:Interesting. You could be right.

There is a lot of pent up demand, particularly with retired people like me. Our income hasn't been hurt whatsoever by the pandemic because we're on fixed income. With nothing to spend it on, we have more money to spend on traveling and other things now than we did a year ago.

6 months or so ago, we decided to upgrade our motor home situation, so we've been in the market for a new one. Due to dimensional constraints in the building we want to park it in, there's only a handful of models that will work, but we couldn't find any in the entire Northwest, new or used. Our 18 year old old RV sold for more than what I hoped to get for it without us even to have to put it on the market. There is a huge demand for them as camping is about the only thing that's been allowed during the pandemic. We finally ended up putting a deposit down on a new, factory ordered motor home from a dealership in Las Vegas. They're going to pay for my travel expenses to go pick it up this spring.

That's why I'm so anxious to get vaccinated: So I can have a little fun when I go to Las Vegas to pick up my motor home.

You aren't alone. People have been doing a lot of saving given they haven't been able to spend on travel, vacations, sporting events, going out to eat, and the like. There is a huge pent up demand and a lot of cash waiting to be spent once the government gives the ok.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Return to Off Topic