Biden: Defund police movement "Beat the hell" out of Dems.

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Biden: Defund police movement "Beat the hell" out of Dems.

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:01 pm

Although I think there were multiple reasons for the Dem's failure to meet the expectations placed on them in the 2020 election, this one was a big one, and Joe Biden is spot on with his analysis:

President-elect Joe Biden told civil rights leaders in a meeting this week that Democrats’ embrace of the “Defund the police” movement during the election “beat the hell out of us.”

“They’ve already labeled us as being ‘Defund the police.’ Anything we put forward in terms of the organizational structure to change policing — which I promise you, will occur. Promise you,” Biden said,

"That’s how they beat the living hell out of us across the country, saying that we’re talking about defunding the police."

A number of Democrats, including Rep. Jim Clyburn of South Carolina and former President Barack Obama, have pinned the blame for the party’s poor down-ballot showing on the (defund the police) movement that gained momentum after the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police officers in May.

The movement, launched by Black Lives Matter, drew support from a number of progressives like Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY).

https://nypost.com/2020/12/10/biden-say ... t-of-dems/

This issue highlights a major reason why I will never associate myself with the Democratic party.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Biden: Defund police movement "Beat the hell" out of Dem

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:18 pm

These parties both have too much crazy in them right now. I hope Biden can pull sensible Dems and Republicans together into some kind of coalition that can get things done that need to get done.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:18 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:These parties both have too much crazy in them right now. I hope Biden can pull sensible Dems and Republicans together into some kind of coalition that can get things done that need to get done.

I don't pack water for either of them. Philosophically I'm closer to being a Republican than I am a Democrat but these past 4 years has moved me much further to the center. I didn't vote for the R candidate for Governor this time around, either, rather I voted for Inslee even though I can't stand the SOB.

It was refreshing to hear Biden calling out the progressive wing of the party. One of the fears I have about him is that he's subject to manipulation by the radical elements in the party and can be moved to embrace their agenda.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:25 am

These words were echoed by Joe Manchin of WV, a fascinating popular Democrat in a deep deep red state. He described Democrats as "fiscally conservative and socially compassionate". He said they got hung with a tag with defund the police that does not reflect the majority of the party. I've often wondered why he's never thrown his name in the hat for president. He'd make a hell of a candidate.

And RD Ill say America got the best thing available. They got Biden who is no fan of the squad or the new green deal although he believes in reforms in both political and environmental policy. They got probably the most palatable VP as opposed to an Elizabeth Warren or something. Pelosi got her wings clipped but once again, she's less a fan of the squad than Biden so it's good she won the speakership as opposed to some young progressive.

There will be no radical plans that will be enacted even if the Dems sweep GA. People like Manchin will never vote for it. He won't vote for any radical cabinet appointments either.
Not gonna say I "identify" with the Democratic party but I identify with people like Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and Joe Manchin. Im rooting for the mainstream of the Democratic party to be successful in shutting down the left fringe because we need a socially compassionate party more than ever .

I will NEVER be associated with anyone in the Republican party who supports or supported Trump on any level so that's a very short list.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:46 am

Hawktawk wrote:These words were echoed by Joe Manchin of WV, a fascinating popular Democrat in a deep deep red state. He described Democrats as "fiscally conservative and socially compassionate". He said they got hung with a tag with defund the police that does not reflect the majority of the party. I've often wondered why he's never thrown his name in the hat for president. He'd make a hell of a candidate.

And RD Ill say America got the best thing available. They got Biden who is no fan of the squad or the new green deal although he believes in reforms in both political and environmental policy. They got probably the most palatable VP as opposed to an Elizabeth Warren or something. Pelosi got her wings clipped but once again, she's less a fan of the squad than Biden so it's good she won the speakership as opposed to some young progressive.

There will be no radical plans that will be enacted even if the Dems sweep GA. People like Manchin will never vote for it. He won't vote for any radical cabinet appointments either.
Not gonna say I "identify" with the Democratic party but I identify with people like Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and Joe Manchin. Im rooting for the mainstream of the Democratic party to be successful in shutting down the left fringe because we need a socially compassionate party more than ever .

I will NEVER be associated with anyone in the Republican party who supports or supported Trump on any level so that's a very short list.

I like Manchin, too, and yes, we did get the best candidate available in Sleepy Joe. Had any of the other major contenders won, it's a foregone conclusion that they wouldn't have beaten Trump. I also agree with your take on the prospect of getting major progressive initiatives passed as even if the Dems win both seats in Georgia, their advantage is so thin that they wouldn't be able to afford any defections. Anything that passes would almost be required to be bipartisan.

My worry is that a moderate candidate, almost by definition, is more easily moved than is one with strong ideological principles. Like him or not, Ronald Reagan was rock solid, and you knew what you were getting when voting for or against him. On the other hand, Bill Clinton, a centrist, had no political compass and like a weather vane, would point in whatever direction the political winds blew him. One year, he's proposing a large, massive health care reform initiative commonly known as Hillary Care and the following year when the R's won Congress, is telling us that the era of big government is over. That's my biggest worry about Biden.

I'm not going to rule out voting for a R that supported Trump, but it would be something I'd take into consideration, as I would their current behavior regarding the outcome of the election. Ted Cruz, for example, has pretty much lost me due to his recent behavior. However, I might consider Marco Rubio.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic