Has Seattle Gone Completely Nuts?

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Has Seattle Gone Completely Nuts?

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:29 pm

Now I'll be the first to admit that the right has a whole slew of off the rails fanatics/Trump followers, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this article:

Burglars taped the back-door window of the Matthew Steele barber shop in Ballard before they shattered the glass with a slingshot. In the six minutes the thieves were inside, they stole $4,000 worth of goods, owner Matthew Humphrey said.

He figured they would sell the stolen high-end jackets and hair products online to make some money.

But when he heard that Seattle lawmakers were considering a proposal that would allow people to steal and then re-sell the items in order to generate money to meet a basic need, like food or rent, he couldn’t believe it.

The Seattle City Council is discussing adding a poverty defense to the city code that municipal court judges must consider when a case comes before them. The council is expected to continue its deliberation of the proposal in January.

In the version currently introduced and advanced by City Council member Lisa Herbold, a suspect facing charges on up to 100 different misdemeanor offense could use the poverty defense in court.

Critics of the proposal say it would open the door to non-stop shoplifting even though supporters say it’s about having compassion for people who don’t have anything.

Thieves selling stolen goods to earn money to pay for a basic need is just one element of the proposal that is currently under consideration. Another element is known as the no legal alternative option.

For example, if someone steals food from a grocery store but claims they did not know there was a food bank right around the corner, they could be protected under the poverty defense.

https://keprtv.com/news/nation-world/se ... 7KCudyDnh4
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Has Seattle Gone Completely Nuts?

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:51 pm

You already know the Seattle City Council is crazy. I know people like I5 don't acknowledge the left's crazy. And c-bob deals with right wing crazy where he's at. But if they watched this trash on a daily basis, they would see how crazy the left wing is too. This kind of crap is continuing to grow in Seattle and Portland. These crazy leftist scum want to throw out the rule of law and make every excuse in the book for breaking the law if you're a drug abuser, minority, or anything they deem as having suffered some kind of victimization. They are ruining Seattle and Washington State turning it into a cesspool. No one seems to want to step and stop them. Businesses and people with money just leave leaving working people to deal with this crap.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Along with the nonsensical initiatives of the Seattle City Council comes news that more police officers are leaving SPD:

The Seattle Police Department saw another 33 officers leave the force as the mass exodus continues

Seattle Police Officer’s Guild president Officer Mike Solan blames Seattle’s “activist mob” for pushing the officers out, citing their “nonsensical agenda” that’s killing the relationship between the community and police. He warns that Seattle crime is about to get worse.

“The council, who rule to that nonsensical activist base, are not changing their rhetoric and sadly, as a result, excellent officers are still fleeing SPD for other agencies due to this hostile climate,” Solan tells the Jason Rantz Show on KTTH. “Sadly, it’s Seattle’s reasonable citizens that will bear this weight as crime will tip over a dangerous cliff. Seattle is a shell of what it once was. Thanks city council for ruining Seattle but more importantly crushing a great police department. This is on you. What a shame.”

Multiple people within the SPD share Solan’s concerns over crime. Already, 911 response times are up, and the city’s growing homicide rate shows little sign of subsiding.

What’s worse, the city is readying legislation sponsored by Councilmember Herbold that will legalize up to 100 misdemeanor offenses if they’re committed by the homeless or drug addicted. On the county level, King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg is forwarding a new policy giving a pass to felony offenders.

In other words: As crime surges, city leaders are creating an environment that gives a pass to more criminals, while pushing cops out. How do they think this will end?

https://mynorthwest.com/2358938/rantz-3 ... oBvdK_ovG0
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:10 am

Sorry, asf, but you’re full of it. I’ve stated before I’m no fan of Sawant, and she should be recalled. I don’t support violence from any side, and stealing is wrong period. By the way, the looting and setting fires that I saw during the riots were almost all by white people, some who looked like they had nothing whatsoever to do with the actual protestors. The right doesn’t own the concept of Law & Order, especially not now. I’ve never heard of the article Riv posted, but I think it’s crazy that you could have a poverty defense. Anyone resourceful enough can get help to learn skills to train for a job.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:26 am

I-5 wrote:Sorry, asf, but you’re full of it. I’ve stated before I’m no fan of Sawant, and she should be recalled. I don’t support violence from any side, and stealing is wrong period. By the way, the looting and setting fires that I saw during the riots were almost all by white people, some who looked like they had nothing whatsoever to do with the actual protestors. The right doesn’t own the concept of Law & Order, especially not now. I’ve never heard of the article Riv posted, but I think it’s crazy that you could have a poverty defense. Anyone resourceful enough can get help to learn skills to train for a job.

I am certainly NOT arguing that the right has a corner on law and order. My point is that this lunacy from the far left is a major factor in what is driving the right to take the absurd positions that they've adapted. It's adding fuel to the fire, enabling extreme right wing candidates.

There were several other news outlets that picked up on this story, but they're all local. You can bet your bottom dollar that you won't see the story appear on CNN just like they didn't run with the Seattle City Council's diversity training controversy.

I'm encouraged that you've denounced this poverty defense proposition. I worry now more than ever about the City of Seattle's hostility towards business. It used to be just the big boys like Amazon that they wanted to drive away now all those neat restaurants and shops will be heading to the suburbs. I heard where Mayor Jenny Durkin has announced that she will not be running for re-election. Not sure why she's bailing, but she's been opposed to much of what the council has advocated.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:13 pm

I-5 wrote:Sorry, asf, but you’re full of it. I’ve stated before I’m no fan of Sawant, and she should be recalled. I don’t support violence from any side, and stealing is wrong period. By the way, the looting and setting fires that I saw during the riots were almost all by white people, some who looked like they had nothing whatsoever to do with the actual protestors. The right doesn’t own the concept of Law & Order, especially not now. I’ve never heard of the article Riv posted, but I think it’s crazy that you could have a poverty defense. Anyone resourceful enough can get help to learn skills to train for a job.

It's good to finally hear you clearly speak against this and see the kind of crazy Democrats we deal with in Washington State. You want to know why RD and I lean conservative it's because of this trash. It's as crazy as the Trump crap, but on the other side. I'm so tired of these crazy people having this power in our nation. Too much crazy in America. I'm tired of these parties and their zealots.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:20 pm

RiverDog wrote:I am certainly NOT arguing that the right has a corner on law and order. My point is that this lunacy from the far left is a major factor in what is driving the right to take the absurd positions that they've adapted. It's adding fuel to the fire, enabling extreme right wing candidates.

There were several other news outlets that picked up on this story, but they're all local. You can bet your bottom dollar that you won't see the story appear on CNN just like they didn't run with the Seattle City Council's diversity training controversy.

I'm encouraged that you've denounced this poverty defense proposition. I worry now more than ever about the City of Seattle's hostility towards business. It used to be just the big boys like Amazon that they wanted to drive away now all those neat restaurants and shops will be heading to the suburbs. I heard where Mayor Jenny Durkin has announced that she will not be running for re-election. Not sure why she's bailing, but she's been opposed to much of what the council has advocated.

In Seattle when I work grave, I haven't been able to drive where I need to go without a drug zombie bothering me. Some spaced out person wandering in the middle of the street at 3 am or so coming up to my car begging for money while obviously high or suffering from withdrawal. I tell them to GTFA from me. These people look like they could kill or rob you and not even remember they did it. Their glossed over eyes, twitchy bodies, dirty, and barely able to speak clearly with filthy teeth standing there in front of you begging for money with some sad story like you're too stupid to know they want the money for drugs. I can't stand to see humans in this state and the government trying to sell me that giving them the drugs for free in shoot up zone is better than taking them off the streets into forced rehabilitation isn't convincing. You can tell these drug zombies are not in their right minds. The only thing preventing them from straight up taking what they want is fear and ill health on their part, not moral decision making.

They should be taking video of these drug zombies and show kids why they should avoid drugs because of what you can become. I cannot even fathom becoming a debased human like that enslaved to some drug that ruins your mind and body.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:59 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:They should be taking video of these drug zombies and show kids why they should avoid drugs because of what you can become. I cannot even fathom becoming a debased human like that enslaved to some drug that ruins your mind and body.

Agreed. Multiple studies have shown that education and prevention is much more effective than rehabilitation. I also believe that unconventional education that has a shock value is very effective. As a high schooler, I went on field trips to the state penitentiary and a mental hospital. As 16-18 year olds, we saw 'zombies' close up and personal. It had a profound effect on all of us.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic