Explosion in Nashville

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Explosion in Nashville

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm sure that everyone has heard about the explosion that occurred in downtown Nashville this morning, so I'll not go through all the details on the assumption that most of us have heard about it.

It would appear that it was a very well thought out act. The bomber was very conscious of not causing collateral damage as he/she exploded it at a time when there would be very few people around, gave a 15 minute warning, and did a few other things that indicates he didn't want any harm to come to innocents.

One possible answer to the question "why" is that the most likely to be injured would be first responders, including police. Is this some sort of retaliation for the killing of an unarmed black man in Columbus, OH a few days ago? Nashville is about a 5.5 hour drive from Columbus, OH.

Again, this is just a guess, and I didn't hear or read it in any news reports. I am not jumping to conclusions, but I can't think of any other possible motivations. Does anyone else have a theory?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Explosion in Nashville

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Nutcase who might want to create dissent or panic? Most of the previous bombings have been
committed by white men and some with white supremacist ties.
We won’t know until the investigation is completed.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:55 pm

I don't speculate on something like this until we hear more. Could be anything. I'm hoping this wasn't a set up for more bombings. First bombing show what you can do, then let everyone know more will happen if some desired end is not completed. That would suck. I'm hoping it's some lunatic who had an insane anti-theft device installed on his vehicle that happened to go off.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:20 pm

I agree that it was well thought out but can't imagine hitting Nashville for something that happened in Ohio. I see it as entirely intentional but until and unless there is some sort of statement by some group or individual taking credit can't speculate on motive (though the obvious in the current climate would a political). Worst case in my mind is a dry run for a delivery and detonation system to be used to greater effect later.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:56 pm

Yeah, outside of the fact that they're well within a day's drive, I can't see a connection between Columbus and Nashville, either. I was just thinking out loud, and that's the first thing that came to mind.

If it was a political statement of the type Hawktalk is fearing, it wouldn't make any sense to set it off in Nashville, Tennessee, a very red state that Trump won overwhelmingly and is the undisputed home of country music.

It's obviously some sort of terrorism, and as well planned as it obviously was, I would expect something else to happen in the next few days.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:39 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I agree that it was well thought out but can't imagine hitting Nashville for something that happened in Ohio. I see it as entirely intentional but until and unless there is some sort of statement by some group or individual taking credit can't speculate on motive (though the obvious in the current climate would a political). Worst case in my mind is a dry run for a delivery and detonation system to be used to greater effect later.

That they gave warning of the blast says maybe you are right - or maybe it's someone who was trying to commit suicide in a spectacular way. I hope it's a one off latter situation although tragic for the family.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:34 am

The latest word is that the FBI is investigating it as a suicide bomber and they have a "person of interest". It looks like one person and they did it in front of the AT&T building over concerns about 5G. The recorded voice was female.

A one off 5G paranoid nutjob is about as good a scenario as possible. I was struggling to imagine a scenario with less ominous portent going forward.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:29 am

c_hawkbob wrote:The latest word is that the FBI is investigating it as a suicide bomber and they have a "person of interest". It looks like one person and they did it in front of the AT&T building over concerns about 5G. The recorded voice was female.

A one off 5G paranoid nutjob is about as good a scenario as possible. I was struggling to imagine a scenario with less ominous portent going forward.

Supposedly they're "still looking at several individuals." I haven't heard if they have confirmed that the tissue found at the scene is human in origin. With an explosion of that scale, you would think that the bomber would have left a long trail of evidence like the Oklahoma City bombers did. It must have required several thousand pounds of explosives (ammonium nitrate?) to inflict as much damage as it did. This was pretty sophisticated, so it would be interesting to know this suspect's background, if he had the knowledge to construct such an explosive and make it work. I know that I'm not smart enough to pull something like that off.

If it is a suicide, it's the craziest one I've ever seen or heard of.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:17 am

I saw a segment on TV last night of the FBI entering a house that had an RV parked in its yard that looked similar to the one on security footage.
They were taking lots of pictures and removing bags of items for evidence or investigation I suppose.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:53 pm

I avoided all those 5G is causing COVID talking heads. That was the dumbest thing I'd heard in regards to COVID. If those talking heads got someone so wound up they tried to take out 5G towers, they deserve to get sued.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:11 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I avoided all those 5G is causing COVID talking heads. That was the dumbest thing I'd heard in regards to COVID. If those talking heads got someone so wound up they tried to take out 5G towers, they deserve to get sued.

One of the dumbest things. Apparently there's people saying that the government has put microchips in the COVID vaccines designed to track our whereabouts.

Now I'm hearing that there's a 2nd truck near Nashville that was broadcasting a similar message as the one that detonated in downtown Nashville but that they didn't find any explosives in it.:

https://keprtv.com/news/nation-world/po ... PIYG5XRKCo
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:04 pm

I didn't want to comment earlier, but there is nothing surprising about the suicide bomber being a lone wolf conspiracy theorist nut job. I don't know if terrorism was his intention (I suspect it wasn't), but the net effect is similar.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:04 pm

I-5 wrote:I didn't want to comment earlier, but there is nothing surprising about the suicide bomber being a lone wolf conspiracy theorist nut job. I don't know if terrorism was his intention (I suspect it wasn't), but the net effect is similar.

I sure hope that's all it is. But it still seems very strange. If someone wanted to commit suicide, there's lots easier ways to do it, so why go to all that trouble? I still feel that this action was designed to make some sort of statement.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:36 pm

RiverDog wrote:One of the dumbest things. Apparently there's people saying that the government has put microchips in the COVID vaccines designed to track our whereabouts.

Now I'm hearing that there's a 2nd truck near Nashville that was broadcasting a similar message as the one that detonated in downtown Nashville but that they didn't find any explosives in it.:

https://keprtv.com/news/nation-world/po ... PIYG5XRKCo

The crazy crap Americans believe with minimal evidence that they absolutely buy into like it's 100% accurate is ridiculous. Not sure if it was this way in the past as querying humanity on a wide scale like we can do now is not possible. They even assume everyone disagreeing is "in on the conspiracy." A doctor could say they studied the vaccine and no microchip was found, but these loons would just claim the doctor was in on the scam and/or too dumb to find the chip. It's nutty. It's infuriating to listen to when you know this garbage impedes the good management of the world.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:36 am

I-5 wrote:I didn't want to comment earlier, but there is nothing surprising about the suicide bomber being a lone wolf conspiracy theorist nut job. I don't know if terrorism was his intention (I suspect it wasn't), but the net effect is similar.

RiverDog wrote:I sure hope that's all it is. But it still seems very strange. If someone wanted to commit suicide, there's lots easier ways to do it, so why go to all that trouble? I still feel that this action was designed to make some sort of statement.

Oh come on, if you're killing yourself and obviously wanting make you point in headlines doing it why would 'easy' ever even be a consideration?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:27 am

I sure hope that's all it is. But it still seems very strange. If someone wanted to commit suicide, there's lots easier ways to do it, so why go to all that trouble? I still feel that this action was designed to make some sort of statement.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'I sure hope that's all it is'. I think he very much wanted to make a statement, and spent time and effort planning just how to do it, which fits the conspiracy theorist nut job type that he is. He just didn't want anyone killed, except himself, judging by the warnings he gave from the RV. But of course it was designed to make a statement.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:26 am

I-5 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by 'I sure hope that's all it is'. I think he very much wanted to make a statement, and spent time and effort planning just how to do it, which fits the conspiracy theorist nut job type that he is. He just didn't want anyone killed, except himself, judging by the warnings he gave from the RV. But of course it was designed to make a statement.

I hope that it's not some sort of cooperative effort of which this was the opening 'statement', that it was a lone wolf and not some sort of conspiracy.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:39 am

The more we hear about it, the less it sounds like a conspiracy.
Unless of course, the Gov't is covering it up so as to not create panic... :roll:
That's in keeping with the crackpot conspiracy theories of the day, though.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:20 am

NorthHawk wrote:The more we hear about it, the less it sounds like a conspiracy.
Unless of course, the Gov't is covering it up so as to not create panic... :roll:
That's in keeping with the crackpot conspiracy theories of the day, though.

It sure seems so. They did pull over a truck that was broadcasting a message similar to that which played just before the explosion and the voice on the motor home speaker telling people to evacuate was female so there's still unanswered questions, but the prospect that it was an opening salvo in some sort of coordinated terrorist-type attack seems less likely.

And although I know you were speaking half in jest, the fact that there are so many people out there with minds gullible enough to believe all this crap is very concerning. I'm hoping that once the pandemic is over that people's minds will track back to center.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:26 am

I think the second one is just a crackpot copycat that wanted their 15 minutes.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:26 pm

The good thing is that it appears to be a lone act. However, I have no doubt that he also listened to a lot of conspiracy theories online, which is where he got infected with the 5G paranoia nonsense. In that sense, he is part of a movement. He's just the first one to take action.

The worse thing is that although he may have planned it alone, lot of Trump nut jobs have identified with him, and taken up his cause, spinning more and more wacko ideas.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nashville-bomber-anthony-quinn-warner-is-embraced-by-conspiracy-theorists-like-qanon
I-5
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:24 am

[quote="I-5"]The good thing is that it appears to be a lone act. However, I have no doubt that he also listened to a lot of conspiracy theories online, which is where he got infected with the 5G paranoia nonsense. In that sense, he is part of a movement. He's just the first one to take action.

The worse thing is that although he may have planned it alone, lot of Trump nut jobs have identified with him, and taken up his cause, spinning more and more wacko ideas.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nashville-bomber-anthony-quinn-warner-is-embraced-by-conspiracy-theorists-like-qanon[/quote

Conspiracy theories are destroying america.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:16 am

So last year this woman calls 911 to warn of her nutjob boyfriend building bombs and threatening suicide and the police response is to take her in for a psychological evaluation without ever checking out the bomb building allegations.

And they wonder why people distrust the system. Way to go Nashville PD.

http://www.westkentuckystar.com/News/Na ... SCAjFhG9Kk
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:47 am

This is the thing.Its 2020 in america. If the word "bomb" comes up that person should be contacted.

Its sort of like these mass shooters. Most had red flags. I'm all for tweaking gun laws if it helps people but there would be a lot less incidents if cops were following known leads.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:16 am

c_hawkbob wrote:So last year this woman calls 911 to warn of her nutjob boyfriend building bombs and threatening suicide and the police response is to take her in for a psychological evaluation without ever checking out the bomb building allegations.

And they wonder why people distrust the system. Way to go Nashville PD.

http://www.westkentuckystar.com/News/Na ... SCAjFhG9Kk

Interesting, thanks for posting it. If you see any other articles related to this, which I'm sure there will be many, please continue to pass them on.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic