The Capitol Takeover

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: The Capitol Takeover

Postby I-5 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:16 pm

A good rule of thumb is to error on the side of safety. I would rather be over prepared than under. I am not being critical of the FBI, and not knowing the precise information they are acting on, I don't know if they are over reacting or not. My guess is that since they got caught off guard last week, this time they are not taking any chances.

All I am saying is for us as citizens, we shouldn't be thinking of this alert as a confirmation that we are about to descend into a civil war. I regard these threats and warnings to be very similar to those we experienced in the months following 9/11. It's a storm warning, not head for the caves and prepare for a dinosaur killing meteor strike.

Then I think we are aligned. Authorities should err on the side of safety.

I didn't say this is a confirmation of civil war at all. Just that the FBI's description of what they are hearing matches how I envisioned a civil war might look like. Only hindsight will tell us when/what a civil war is. I wasn't making any prediction or panicking of any kind. No need to head to any caves or start stockpiling canned food.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:50 pm

I-5 wrote:No need to head to any caves or start stockpiling canned food.

Whew! You had me going. I thought I was going to have to make an emergency trip to Costco and stock up on toilet paper. :D
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:21 pm

Well, folks, you can forget about the 25th, not that there was ever any doubt:

Vice President Mike Pence signaled he’ll spurn demands to immediately oust Donald Trump over a deadly riot by the president’s supporters as the two met and agreed to work together for the remainder of the term, according to a senior administration official.

It was the first time Trump and Pence have spoken since the president’s supporters stormed the Capitol while Pence was presiding over formal affirmation of his re-election defeat, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The two men, meeting in the Oval Office, agreed that people who broke into the Capitol don’t represent Trump’s “America First” movement and pledged to continue their work on behalf of the country for the remainder of their term, the official said. It was a good conversation in which Trump and Pence discussed the week ahead and reflected on the last four years of the administration’s work, the official added.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 pm

RiverDog wrote:Whew! You had me going. I thought I was going to have to make an emergency trip to Costco and stock up on toilet paper. :D

Be my guest! I'm safely across the border for now...until the gun toting lunatics come for us from the south
I-5
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:26 pm

RiverDog wrote:Well, folks, you can forget about the 25th, not that there was ever any doubt:

Vice President Mike Pence signaled he’ll spurn demands to immediately oust Donald Trump over a deadly riot by the president’s supporters as the two met and agreed to work together for the remainder of the term, according to a senior administration official.

It was the first time Trump and Pence have spoken since the president’s supporters stormed the Capitol while Pence was presiding over formal affirmation of his re-election defeat, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The two men, meeting in the Oval Office, agreed that people who broke into the Capitol don’t represent Trump’s “America First” movement and pledged to continue their work on behalf of the country for the remainder of their term, the official said. It was a good conversation in which Trump and Pence discussed the week ahead and reflected on the last four years of the administration’s work, the official added.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp

I don't think a single person here thought the 25th Amendment was a possiblity. We can imagine though who dominated that conversation. Pence must feel like a little boy right now, first getting blasted by Trump for refusing to go along with the insurrection, and then Trump probably acting today like nothing happened.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:45 pm

Pence makes me sick . What a pussy . He was trapped in an insurrection with his family as protesters chanted hang mike pence. A few days later after trump did not even call him about that he’s kissing his arse .

If that happened to me I’d have not needed the 25th amendment to remove him I would have beat him to death with my bare hands. You can’t make up a more screwed up storybook than the last 4 years . All politicians are bad but the Republican / Trumpanzee party is the swamp running over .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 am

The two men, meeting in the Oval Office, agreed that people who broke into the Capitol don’t represent Trump’s “America First” movement

That's what they agreed on?! That "gee Donny you're right, these weren't your people"? How disgusting is that?! Pence has no spine whatsoever, he just want's to tap into this same populist base for his 2024 run and can't risk getting on Trump's bad side.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:48 am

Pence will do what he thinks is in the best interest of his political future.
Today, most Republicans with Presidential aspirations seem to think that garnering favor of the base or a large part of it gives them a chance to become the next GOP candidate in 2024.
A few years from now we will be able to look back and see if that was the right decision or if he would have had a better chance had he made a stand and progressed with the 25th amendment.
At the moment it looks like he's still toadying to Trump.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:00 am

In a phone call with Minority leader Kevin McCarthy yesterday Trump tried to blame Antifa . McCarthy screamed “ it was MAGA ! I was there “. Trump started raging about a stolen election and McCarthy told him to “ stop it . It’s over “. Nice to know the Potus has accepted his fate and role in what happened . I feel so secure
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 am

In a phone call with Minority leader Kevin McCarthy yesterday Trump tried to blame Antifa . McCarthy screamed “ it was MAGA ! I was there “. Trump started raging about a stolen election and McCarthy told him to “ stop it . It’s over “. Nice to know the Potus has accepted his fate and role in what happened . I feel so secure

I'm actually shocked that McCarthy pushed back on the Dear Leader himself. Of course, Trump is still in denial. I heard he was going to kick off his 2024 campaign on Jan 20? Classy.
I-5
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:28 am

Well after all, he is the classiest and most presidential person to ever hold office. If you don't believe him, just ask him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:27 pm

I-5 wrote:I'm actually shocked that McCarthy pushed back on the Dear Leader himself. Of course, Trump is still in denial. I heard he was going to kick off his 2024 campaign on Jan 20? Classy.

I. too, was pleasantly surprised at McCarthy's conversation with Trump. Perhaps there's hope after all that the R's will separate themselves from that POS>

And of course, Trump is still in denial. Here's what he said this morning about the comments he made just prior to the march on the Capitol:

They've analyzed my speech and my words and my final paragraph, my final sentence, and everybody, to the T, thought it was totally appropriate," Trump told reporters as he departed Joint Base Andrews to visit the border with Mexico.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:29 pm

They've analyzed my speech and my words and my final paragraph, my final sentence, and everybody, to the T, thought it was totally appropriate," Trump told reporters as he departed Joint Base Andrews to visit the border with Mexico.

And this is why impeaching this POS is important. He doesn't get what a danger he is, or worse, he knows what a danger he is. Not sure who to disdain more, him or his cult of believers who refuse facts.

I will say though, the scenes of rioters trying to board flights and getting placed on no fly lists and arrested is pretty entertaining. The first guy had the gall to actually say 'you're treating me like a $#% black person'. At least he's honest.

https://youtu.be/CegNO9waSSc
I-5
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:23 pm

I-5 wrote:And this is why impeaching this POS is important. He doesn't get what a danger he is, or worse, he knows what a danger he is. Not sure who to disdain more, him or his cult of believers who refuse facts.

I will say though, the scenes of rioters trying to board flights and getting placed on no fly lists and arrested is pretty entertaining. The first guy had the gall to actually say 'you're treating me like a $#% black person'. At least he's honest.

https://youtu.be/CegNO9waSSc

Oh god that some funny stuff right there! That guy talking on the phone "because they're Trump supporters" ... if I could I'd a reached through his phone and slapped him and "No, because you tried to overthrow our freakin' government you dolt!"
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:17 pm

More accurately than trying to overthrow the government, they are suspected terrorists and are are being treated just like an Islamic extremist that might be seeking to do us harm.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm

RiverDog wrote:More accurately than trying to overthrow the government, they are suspected terrorists and are are being treated just like an Islamic extremist that might be seeking to do us harm.

Yeah you gotta love the irony of a president that built a wall to keep out hispanics and instituted a travel ban from islamic countries and now he's fomenting domestic terror.

Beam me up.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:57 pm

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/a ... 864611.php

So much for gee nobody knew what could happen :lol: :evil: :evil: :evil:

This will wind up leading directly back to the president giving orders not wanting to hinder his coup attempt.Assuming we are not embroiled in a civil war it will come to light when people no longer fear reprisals from trump.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:41 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Pence will do what he thinks is in the best interest of his political future.
Today, most Republicans with Presidential aspirations seem to think that garnering favor of the base or a large part of it gives them a chance to become the next GOP candidate in 2024.
A few years from now we will be able to look back and see if that was the right decision or if he would have had a better chance had he made a stand and progressed with the 25th amendment.
At the moment it looks like he's still toadying to Trump.

Pence will do what he thinks is best for the party. I don't think he is very concerned about his political future right now. He was put in there to ride this out with Trump. He's doing what he was put there to do which at this point amounts to try to keep control of an angry child until January 20th.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:45 pm

I-5 wrote:I don't think a single person here thought the 25th Amendment was a possiblity. We can imagine though who dominated that conversation. Pence must feel like a little boy right now, first getting blasted by Trump for refusing to go along with the insurrection, and then Trump probably acting today like nothing happened.

I'm pretty sure Mike Pence knows first hand how crazy Donald Trump is. Pence has had to clean up Trump's image and try to make it seem like someone grown up is in The White House since day one. I'm still not sure why Pence chose to be Donald's VP. I think The Republican Party put him there for the evangelical vote and because of his temperament. He can obviously keep his cool when the world around him is going insane.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:12 pm

Hawktawk wrote:You're really sounding scary Asea. This is America. We settle our differences at the ballot box here. We did so last Nov when 81 million people voted far more to out trump than install Biden due to trump's extreme danger to the entire planet.

And 2,5 months later here we are. I watched an armed insurgency chock full of violent trumpanzees, hurting cops, beating them with flagpoles and trampling old glory and hijacking the term "patriot".It followed weeks of incendiary tweets, years actually, spreading lies including a whopper about a stolen election, COME TO DC ON THE 8TH,ITS GONNA BE WILD!!!!!!!!. WE have to shut the fascist and his fascist follower down. We are probably looking at extreme violence going forward either way, Screw these people. If they are going to be behave like subhuman POS cretins than they dont deserve a mouth piece or means to coordinate violence. The hell with them they can burn in hell with their messiah.

You should be scared. I'm trying to keep people I know from thinking a Civil War is a good option. I've read on the Civil War. Civil Wars are terrible with a death count far exceeding other types of wars.

This nation was founded on a Revolutionary War. We've had a war every 10 years or so since we've been founded. We are one of the most war like nations in the world today. We have one of the most heavily armed citizenries in the world. The First Amendment is about free speech, assembly, and religion. The 2nd Amendment is about deciding things by war.

This nation was founded by revolutionaries. One of their gloried sayings is from Jefferson, "The tree of liberty must at times be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/little-rebellionquotation

https://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/tree-liberty-quotation

This is America. Know your history. These people who voted Trump in and cheer every time they hear the word "Constitution" look to the Founders for their inspiration. This is the kind of rhetoric you will find from The Founders.

So yes, be afraid. Be glad Trump is a coward. If Trump we're a real revolutionary leader like Jefferson or Washington and not some blowhard businessman in over his head who didn't realize how crazy his followers are, we would be in a Civil War right now.

Stop being asleep at the wheel and not understanding psychology of America. We need to calm these folks down, not engage in name calling and winding them up more thinking they're oppressed revolutionaries fighting against some great tyranny.

I'm waiting for Biden to take over January 20th. He seems to grasp this better than most of his supporters and the Democratic Party. He's trying to calm this crazy down.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:16 am

I dont think people who think Joe Biden runs a pedophile ring out of the basement of the pizza parlor , Bid laden is alive and a president who lost by 7 million votes got robbed of the election are gonna calm down no matter what at this point..
Polls show half the Trump voters dont believe Biden should even be sworn in . That's 37.5 MILLION people. This may drop to a dull roar depending on circumstances but this evil and that's what it is will never go away.Bidens presidency has been shipwrecked by the big lie before he even takes office.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic