Are we in a terrible movie?

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Are we in a terrible movie?

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:42 am

What kind of bizarro world alternate universe do we currently exist in where the President of the United States is conspiring to hold power with the CEO of My Pillow?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/politics/cia-kash-patel-mypillow-notes-lindell-trump/index.html

Am I awake right now? Is this insane crap for real?

The My Pillow CEO? Are you kidding me?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Re: Are we in a terrible movie?

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:37 am

Been that way for years for me. My Pillow guy as CIA Chief is no weirder than a Coal Industry lobbyist as Head of the EPA (or a dozen other headscratchers).
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:11 am

I see where Trump is trying to get a military send off and assemble a crowd...during a pandemic...for his departure to Florida on Wednesday morning, timing his departure so he doesn't have to ask Biden for permission to use AF1. This will be the first time since 1869 that the outgoing President hasn't attended the swearing in of his successor.

A true narcissist to the end.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:57 am

According to Defense One the DOD won't throw Trump his military send off:

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2021/0 ... mp/171408/
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:05 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:What kind of bizarro world alternate universe do we currently exist in where the President of the United States is conspiring to hold power with the CEO of My Pillow?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/politics/cia-kash-patel-mypillow-notes-lindell-trump/index.html

Am I awake right now? Is this insane crap for real?

The My Pillow CEO? Are you kidding me?

Mike Lindell wants to be a mover and shaker in Washington. Don't sleep on that guy!

In all seriousness, what difference would making a change with 3 days left make? Is it to give a loyalist a bump in pension benefits or some credibility? He would hardly have sat down
and he's out the door when the new administration arrives.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:03 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:According to Defense One the DOD won't throw Trump his military send off:

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2021/0 ... mp/171408/

I'm not sure about that. The first paragraph does say that they "won't" give him a send off, but further down, it says "Two senior defense officials confirmed to Defense One on Thursday that no military farewell is being planned for the commander in chief." Nothing being planned isn't the same as saying that they won't.

Trump is still Commander-in-Chief until Biden is sworn in, so my guess is that if he were to order them to give him a send off, they would have no choice but to comply as it's clearly not an illegal order.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:41 pm

If an American coup is is done by a former reality TV star and a pillow salesman, that will be absolutely insane. I don't think my mind could wrap around that reality. I think I would walk around ignoring it like it never happened and laugh at them until I guess one of their followers shot me. It's too nutty to imagine.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:12 pm

After 4 years of insults for calling it as I saw it I rest my case. Only I couldn't even have expected anything this whacked.My pillow guy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I feel like burning mine.He should have stuck making them

I saw where Joe Biden who rode amtrak to work from delaware for over 3 decades to save the taxpayers money and wished to arrive at the inauguration by Amtrak will have to cancel it due to security. Yesterday a man was arrested less than a mile from the capital with guns , stun grenade, smoke bombs and thousands of rounds of ammunition after trying to pass a security checkpoint with fraudulent credentials. Its been reported a man was arrested in DC on the 7th and told police he had gotten the date wrong. He was armed with a military grade arsenal including armor piercing bullets. His stated objective was to kill Nancy Pelosi. I hear that the ten congressmen who crossed over including newhouse are under armed security protection. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

just dont know how we could ever make america any more super duper greater than great than this turd sandwich. I'll understand this whole episode exactly never. It's been bizarre from day one.Not sure why it was so hard for people to see for so long.

I feel sorry for Joe Biden inheriting this dumpster fire or should I say hair fire. It's not possible he could have ever imagined this scenario when he declared his candidacy. He's a flawed candidate but he's america's only hope. We could not have survived another 4 years of Trump.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:40 am

I smell a last ditch coup attempt with these last appointments and military send off requests...I would think the Q faithful are thinking the same thing. As I suspected, they've interpreted Trump's words that go against violence as code to 'stand by'. They are that wack.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:51 am

Hawktawk wrote:I feel sorry for Joe Biden inheriting this dumpster fire or should I say hair fire. It's not possible he could have ever imagined this scenario when he declared his candidacy. He's a flawed candidate but he's america's only hope. We could not have survived another 4 years of Trump.

You can make the argument that Biden is representing such a stark contrast from what we've had over the past 4 years that he can't help but to succeed.

Trump is leaving office as the most unpopular President since Nixon. I've seen his approval rating as low as 29%. With a rating that low, Biden can't help but benefit, at least temporarily. Gerald Ford initially benefitted enormously from Nixon's unpopularity, until he pardoned him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 am

I-5 wrote:I smell a last ditch coup attempt with these last appointments and military send off requests...I would think the Q faithful are thinking the same thing. As I suspected, they've interpreted Trump's words that go against violence as code to 'stand by'. They are that wack.

I’ll rest a bit easy when the psycho is in Mara Lago . Not before
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:53 am

I-5 wrote:I smell a last ditch coup attempt with these last appointments and military send off requests...I would think the Q faithful are thinking the same thing. As I suspected, they've interpreted Trump's words that go against violence as code to 'stand by'. They are that wack.

My wife's far right sister living in Utah says that on MeWe (or WeMe, whatever, the new social media replacement for displaced twitter nutjobs) there is as much Trump hate ("left us out to dry", "abandoned us to save his own hide" etc.) as there is support among the Q faithful now. I think Trump may well be irrelevant to that movement now, The Monster that Dr Trumpenstein has created may well have a life of it's own at this point.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:06 am

c_hawkbob wrote:My wife's far right sister living in Utah says that on MeWe (or WeMe, whatever, the new social media replacement for displaced twitter nutjobs) there is as much Trump hate ("left us out to dry", "abandoned us to save his own hide" etc.) as there is support among the Q faithful now. I think Trump may well be irrelevant to that movement now, The Monster that Dr Trumpenstein has created may well have a life of it's own at this point.

I'm seeing something similar on my Facebook feed, not as blatant as what you're describing, but there's not near the outrage over the impeachment as I expected. Most are complaining about the BLM rioters not being pursued to the same degree as they're pursuing the Capitol rioters, of which I can sympathize with to a small extent. The difference is that the BLM rioters weren't in the Capitol looking for Congressmen and Senators and seeking to prevent a constitutional exercise.

If that's true, if the far right extremists have, indeed, given up Trump, then I wouldn't mind seeing him being pursued through the courts. Their giving him up would remove my only objection to that proposition, ie that it would provide them with a martyr with the courthouses being a rallying point.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:18 am

Almost 5 k BLM protesters were arrested last summer including 300 the day Trump had Lafayette square protesters smashed by riot police . So far there’s less than 100 arrests in an insurrection.cops posing for selfies, putting on trump hats.

There’s evidence of police involvent etc. this episode makes BLMs point perfectly
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:09 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Almost 5 k BLM protesters were arrested last summer including 300 the day Trump had Lafayette square protesters smashed by riot police . So far there’s less than 100 arrests in an insurrection.cops posing for selfies, putting on trump hats.

There’s evidence of police involvent etc. this episode makes BLMs point perfectly

The investigation in the Capitol riots has just begun. Expect to see many more arrests in the coming days.

When considering the scope of the BLM riots, ie hundreds of thousands across the nation that lasted all summer, it pales in comparison to a few thousands for a couple hours at one location. Like I said earlier, the big difference is that the Capitol and it was an insurrection, perhaps attempted political assassination, and IMO is far more serious, but that's not how the far right is seeing it.

Whether or not it's a legitimate criticism, the right sees a huge hypocrisy between the Feds approach to the BLM riots and the Capitol riots. Here's one very high profile incident from the riots in Portland last summer:

Hundreds of protesters in Portland who were arrested in the past 80 days of demonstrations will not face any charges, Multnomah County District Attorney Mike Schmidt announced Tuesday.

“The protesters are angry ... and deeply frustrated with what they perceive to be structural inequities in our basic social fabric, and this frustration can escalate to levels that violate the law,” Schmidt said. “This policy acknowledges that centuries of disparate treatment of our black and brown communities have left deep wounds and that the healing process will not be easy or quick.”

Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell, who was told of the policy change on Friday, pushed back against the new rules and said they don't change Oregon law, insisting that people who commit violent acts or intentionally damage property should be held accountable.

Committing a crime is different from demonstrating,” Lovell said in a statement. “The arrests we make often come after hours of damage to private property, disruption of public transit and traffic on public streets, thefts from small businesses, arson, burglary, attacks on members of the community, and attacks against police officers.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/no-charges-f ... protestors

That's the type of stuff that the far right sees as hypocrisy, and to a certain degree, they do have a point.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:25 pm

The right just attempted an attack on democracy . 75 % believe a fantastic story about a stolen election despite getting crushed in every court , vilified by Republican secs of state and election officials . The right has absolutely no leg to stand on , zero moral authority to object to anything . I completely disagree with rioting for any reason but this ain’t any closer a call than the election . The Republican Party is insane right now
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:02 pm

That's the type of stuff that the far right sees as hypocrisy, and to a certain degree, they do have a point.

No they don't and I'm getting a bit disgusted with the false equivalence. I agree that both movements have caused harm and are in the wrong for having done so but the very big difference is that BLM is protesting a very real social injustice that has been all too prevalent and with the emboldening of the racist right within law enforcement by Trump and his ilk has seen a clear increase duing this administration.

On the other hand this Q nonsense is an entirely fabricated load of crap and these a-holes are just using it as their excuse to wreak havoc and forward their own fantasy new world order. And the damage they have done was not just to property but against our very system of government. They are pure scum, I have zero respect for anyone sympathizing with them. The fact that so many inside our own government and law enforcement communities are includes among those sympathizers disgusts me to no end.

These are not "a lot of very fine people, on both sides". Although I will allow that there are a lot of bad actors on both sides.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:24 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:No they don't and I'm getting a bit disgusted with the false equivalence. I agree that both movements have caused harm and are in the wrong for having done so but the very big difference is that BLM is protesting a very real social injustice that has been all too prevalent and with the emboldening of the racist right within law enforcement by Trump and his ilk has seen a clear increase duing this administration.

I guess we'll have to disagree that they have a point. IMO there was some very egregious and intentional oversights of justice during the BLM riots. They were allowed to continue for months with very little effort by mostly Dem/liberal mayors and governors to stop them. That's what our good friend Mack cited as one of his reasons for his voting for Trump, and I doubt that he's alone. I agree with you that the two situations are not analogous, but that's not how the far right sees it.

I do agree with you that there's a very big difference between the causes, but again, that's not how the far right sees it. They see the cancel culture, the defacing of monuments, the defund the police movement, etc as more than just striving for social justice.

c_hawkbob wrote:On the other hand this Q nonsense is an entirely fabricated load of crap and these a-holes are just using it as their excuse to wreak havoc and forward their own fantasy new world order. And the damage they have done was not just to property but against our very system of government. They are pure scum, I have zero respect for anyone sympathizing with them. The fact that so many inside our own government and law enforcement communities are includes among those sympathizers disgusts me to no end.

These are not "a lot of very fine people, on both sides". Although I will allow that there are a lot of bad actors on both sides.

I agree, many of those folks are brainwashed and there's no turning back for them. But there are others out there whose minds can be changed, and IMO a good starting point would be to at least listen to some of their grievances. We're not going to get anywhere if both sides retreat to their corners.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:53 pm

RD don’t forget the prescience of proud boys etc at every god damn protest by Antifa or BLM all year . They drove pickup trucks through crowds of people standing with signs in Portland with Trump 2020 flags waving , tear gas cannons , literally like a truck mount fire hose or machine gun only tear gas . They ran into protesters in trucks . Beat them with baseball bats . The rittenhouse kid in Kenosha killed 2 white guys and injured another , strapped his AR on his shoulder and walked by police who gently sat him down and got him water . I was not with Antifa or BLM 4 years ago and disapprove of violence of any kind but their point has been made clear to me. It’s interesting the officers who shot Jacob Blake 7 times were cleared but I didn’t see Kenosha burning again unless I missed it. These protests have been as much against the fascist Trump as anything else . This crazy Trump cult is a way bigger problem than anything the left has going on the lunatic fringe .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:21 pm

Hawktawk wrote:RD don’t forget the prescience of proud boys etc at every god damn protest by Antifa or BLM all year . They drove pickup trucks through crowds of people standing with signs in Portland with Trump 2020 flags waving , tear gas cannons , literally like a truck mount fire hose or machine gun only tear gas . They ran into protesters in trucks . Beat them with baseball bats . The rittenhouse kid in Kenosha killed 2 white guys and injured another , strapped his AR on his shoulder and walked by police who gently sat him down and got him water . I was not with Antifa or BLM 4 years ago and disapprove of violence of any kind but their point has been made clear to me. It’s interesting the officers who shot Jacob Blake 7 times were cleared but I didn’t see Kenosha burning again unless I missed it. These protests have been as much against the fascist Trump as anything else . This crazy Trump cult is a way bigger problem than anything the left has going on the lunatic fringe .

Of course, there were some instances of far right groups instigating violence amongst the BLM protests. There were thousands of protests that were as a result of BLM demonstrations that stretched from coast to coast, from Mexico to Canada, and from March to September, so it's not at all surprising that WSE's would try to take advantage of the opportunity to stir up chit. That's what they live for. But the vast majority of looting and rioting was not done by WSE's.

I am not trying to justify the far right's POV or say which problem is worse than the other. I am simply saying that some of the far right's arguments have a legitimate point to them and that we should at least hear their grievances. You're not going to get anywhere by preaching your version of truth and justice to them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:56 pm

There are no versions of the truth, that's a complete Trumpian concept, there is only the truth.

And while there are truths being spoke on both sides the greatest truth is that one of these things is not like the other. There is no equivalence here. This is not a political difference of philosophy, this is injustice on one side and pure evil fascism on the other.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:13 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:There are no versions of the truth, that's a complete Trumpian concept, there is only the truth.

And while there are truths being spoke on both sides the greatest truth is that one of these things is not like the other. There is no equivalence here. This is not a political difference of philosophy, this is injustice on one side and pure evil fascism on the other.

I don't for a minute think that the entire right is consumed by pure evil and fascism. There were over 74 million people that voted for Donald Trump. Many of them have legitimate reasons for voting the way they did that was not based on pure evil fascism. I am not talking about the mob that stormed the Capitol.

I shouldn't have used the word "truth". I was thinking of how preachers use the term in their sermons. It's not the dictionary version. Let me try this a different way: There are two vastly different points of view. Both sides have some elements that are based on an honest or understandable perception. Whether or not we believe them to be the correct POV, we should strive to understand what it is that's bothering them and see if we can find some common ground. I think that Joe Biden has said something to that extent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:48 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:My wife's far right sister living in Utah says that on MeWe (or WeMe, whatever, the new social media replacement for displaced twitter nutjobs) there is as much Trump hate ("left us out to dry", "abandoned us to save his own hide" etc.) as there is support among the Q faithful now. I think Trump may well be irrelevant to that movement now, The Monster that Dr Trumpenstein has created may well have a life of it's own at this point.

It was there before him. It will be there after. Even Anne Coulter turned on Trump a while back because she finally realized he wasn't a real Republican and didn't believe in half of what he talked about. But Coulter hasn't changed her tune as far as here political beliefs.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:54 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'm seeing something similar on my Facebook feed, not as blatant as what you're describing, but there's not near the outrage over the impeachment as I expected. Most are complaining about the BLM rioters not being pursued to the same degree as they're pursuing the Capitol rioters, of which I can sympathize with to a small extent. The difference is that the BLM rioters weren't in the Capitol looking for Congressmen and Senators and seeking to prevent a constitutional exercise.

If that's true, if the far right extremists have, indeed, given up Trump, then I wouldn't mind seeing him being pursued through the courts. Their giving him up would remove my only objection to that proposition, ie that it would provide them with a martyr with the courthouses being a rallying point.

The BLM rioters were pursued. It just wasn't publicized by the right wing media because it defeats some of their arguments if they say the Seattle police are using video footage to track down the worst of the rioters.

I get it. The left wing media definitely played soft with the BLM rioters, the police did not as far as I can tell. They arrested a ton of them in Seattle using video footage.

Just one story. https://abcnews.go.com/US/27-arrested-seattle-police-claim-protesters-threw-rocks/story?id=72875432

But yeah, for certain the liberal media is going in much, much, much harder on the capitol rioters and making claims the BLM protesters were treated worse because of the implication of racism. Total lies by the left wing media, but neither of these scummy media arms can miss the opportunity to attack the other side by lying.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:06 pm

Hawktawk wrote:RD don’t forget the prescience of proud boys etc at every god damn protest by Antifa or BLM all year . They drove pickup trucks through crowds of people standing with signs in Portland with Trump 2020 flags waving , tear gas cannons , literally like a truck mount fire hose or machine gun only tear gas . They ran into protesters in trucks . Beat them with baseball bats . The rittenhouse kid in Kenosha killed 2 white guys and injured another , strapped his AR on his shoulder and walked by police who gently sat him down and got him water . I was not with Antifa or BLM 4 years ago and disapprove of violence of any kind but their point has been made clear to me. It’s interesting the officers who shot Jacob Blake 7 times were cleared but I didn’t see Kenosha burning again unless I missed it. These protests have been as much against the fascist Trump as anything else . This crazy Trump cult is a way bigger problem than anything the left has going on the lunatic fringe .

This is why you are not a credible source at all. This is a total lie. You are really selling BS now. Did you even watch what Jacob Blake did or read that case? One officer shot him, a guy with no history to my knowledge of negative behavior and was considered a good officer. The officers on site were called because Jacob Blake was wanted for a violent crime on a warrant. They attempted to taze him twice which did not work. Then they attempted to physically restrain him, but he fought them off. Then they ordered him at gun point to stop. He ignored them, went to his car, and started to get in then they shot him.

So what do you expect an officer to do after he has done all of that to arrest a guy? Just let him leave? Are you really setting up a precedent where you think it is ok to ignore the police if you can just fight them off?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Jacob_Blake

The Kenosha shooter kid surrendered to the police with no resistance and claimed self-defense. He wasn't given water because of his skin color. It is a standard procedure for someone incarcerated to receive some kind of food or drink per their request.

It's this kind of lying, race-baiting BS that proves time and again how much people lie to forward whatever agenda they have. Apparently it's ok for you to lie because you hate Trump, so any lying is justified.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:22 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:There are no versions of the truth, that's a complete Trumpian concept, there is only the truth.

The idea of different versions of the truth was here long before Trump, not sure why you are attributing that to him. Grey morality and truth has been a concept for a long, long time.

There have been novels written and movies created based on the idea of different versions of the "truth." There definitely is not one truth. I'm pretty sure if you weren't so caught up in your Trump hate, you wouldn't be taking some kind of hard line stance that truth is unassailable and set. It isn't. Never has been. Never will be. Even morality is grey and changeable. Always has been, always will be. Which is why people who go sleep thinking things are set will find they can wake up to a completely different world in a short period of time.

3 more days until Trump is gone and maybe people can start having real discussions again rather than digging in on the Trump hate/love vs. any kind of other type of discussion. The Trump Haters and Lovers are so invested in their position that anything other than what both want is irrelevant and offensive at this point. One of the worst things about Trump is the total annihilation of discourse. You're either with Trump or you're against him. You're either willing to do anything to support him or anything to take him down. There's not much in-between.

This is just one of the many reasons this idiot has to go. He's a force of chaos, stupidity, vulgarity, and a creator of an impolite, impolitic society.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:35 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:3 more days until Trump is gone and maybe people can start having real discussions again rather than digging in on the Trump hate/love vs. any kind of other type of discussion. The Trump Haters and Lovers are so invested in their position that anything other than what both want is irrelevant and offensive at this point. One of the worst things about Trump is the total annihilation of discourse. You're either with Trump or you're against him. You're either willing to do anything to support him or anything to take him down. There's not much in-between.

This is just one of the many reasons this idiot has to go. He's a force of chaos, stupidity, vulgarity, and a creator of an impolite, impolitic society.

God, I hope so. I am so frigging tired of seeing Trump's face and listening to his voice that I could puke. I know that he's not going away, but at least he won't have access to the bully pulpit anymore. The thread title got it right. We're in a terrible movie, a nightmare.

I desperately hope that we can get back to having a civil discussion where we can talk about the causes of our differences rather than just shoving our self righteous POV's down each other's throats. Perhaps having Trump out of the way will help in that regard.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:04 pm

I don't for a minute think that the entire right is consumed by pure evil and fascism.

When I said "one of these things is not like the other" I am not referring to the political right vs the political left, I'm talking about the BLM civil disturbances vs the Capitol insurgence.

Of course I don't think everyone on the right is a fascist, thats ridiculous. Although I must say the percentage is a lot higher than I had ever imagined.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:31 pm

I don't for a minute think that the entire right is consumed by pure evil and fascism.

c_hawkbob wrote:When I said "one of these things is not like the other" I am not referring to the political right vs the political left, I'm talking about the BLM civil disturbances vs the Capitol insurgence.

And I'm not talking about BLM "civil disturbances", which could mean anything from a simple act of disobedience like a sit-in to a riot. I'm talking specifically about the months long widespread BLM-spawned rioting, looting, vandalism, police precincts take-overs, killings, and other acts of violence of this past summer vs. the Capitol insurgency.

c_hawkbob wrote:Of course I don't think everyone on the right is a fascist, thats ridiculous. Although I must say the percentage is a lot higher than I had ever imagined.

It's a lot higher than I thought, too.

Nevertheless, my point is that we need to be receptive to the grievances that many law abiding citizens, the vast majority of the 74 million that voted for Trump, have with what they see is an unequal application of law enforcement and criminal prosecution rather than discounting their opinions as poppycock.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Just have to get your right spin in don't you? Civil disturbances includes all of the things you said as the alternative. Just not salacious enough for you. When you refer to the civil unrest of the 60's do you recite a similar list with every mention?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:05 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Just have to get your right spin in don't you? Civil disturbances includes all of the things you said as the alternative. Just not salacious enough for you. When you refer to the civil unrest of the 60's do you recite a similar list with every mention?

That's funny, and here I thought you were trying to put your own spin on it when you used a softball term like "civil disturbance" to describe the events of the past summer.

When I think of the 60's, I don't think of it in terms such as "civil unrest". I think of it in more graphic terms, like political assassinations, race riots, and the Vietnam War. It was an ugly time requiring a certain shock value to describe it in much the same manner I would use to describe the subjects we've been discussing.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:15 pm

I didn't spin either thing, I didn't list rioting, looting, vandalism and murder when I said Capitol insurgency either. Interesting that you only saw one as a softball term.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:44 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I didn't spin either thing, I didn't list rioting, looting, vandalism and murder when I said Capitol insurgency either. Interesting that you only saw one as a softball term.

I don't regard the word "insurgency" as a softball term. Do you?

On the other hand, a "disturbance" is a relatively benign term, such as the beginnings of a hurricane being called a "tropical disturbance". If a person wanted to draw a stark contrast between activities, a good choice would be including "disturbance" in the same sentence as "insurgency".

But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and accept your word that your choice of terms was not an attempt to trivialize the activity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:55 pm

Jesus. I was merely trying refer to each as succinctly as possible. You applied your own biases to it.

My point was that I was in no way referring to everyone on right side of the political spectrum as you suggested, but of course you had to take it off on your usual tangent.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Jesus. I was merely trying refer to each as succinctly as possible. You applied your own biases to it.

My point was that I was in no way referring to everyone on right side of the political spectrum as you suggested, but of course you had to take it off on your usual tangent.

You took this discussion just as far off on a tangent as I did. It takes two to Tango. If you didn't like the tangent I was going on, then don't respond.

I will apologize for suggesting that you thought that "everyone" on the right side of the political spectrum is a fascist. It was not my intent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:14 pm

I agree, many of those folks are brainwashed and there's no turning back for them. But there are others out there whose minds can be changed, and IMO a good starting point would be to at least listen to some of their grievances. We're not going to get anywhere if both sides retreat to their corners.

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly are the grievances of the brainwashed? How many times can an election be audited for them to be satisfied? I think the real issue with them can't be fixed, because they see Trump is the only rightful winner in any election, and that he is saving all of us from a viper pit of pedophiles.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:09 am

I-5 wrote:Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly are the grievances of the brainwashed? How many times can an election be audited for them to be satisfied? I think the real issue with them can't be fixed, because they see Trump is the only rightful winner in any election, and that he is saving all of us from a viper pit of pedophiles.

I was speaking of others that were not brainwashed, in other words, those that do not represent violent extremists or WSE. There's not much that can be done to rationalize with those that are brainwashed.

Over the course of the past few days, the biggest grievance some of my far right friends in my network are complaining about is the contrast between law enforcement and liberal/Dem politician's response, or failure to respond, to the riots this summer and their reaction to the Capitol insurgency. It's not the only grievance, but it's the one everyone has been talking about lately.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:12 am

3/4 of the republican party believe in a fantastic lie of a stolen election when there's never been one more disproven to be stolen due to the sheer amount of litigation and recounting and inspection. That's about 50 million trumpanzees living in delusional fantasy land RD. Do the math. And an even higher percentage believes Trump has no responsibility for the capitol riot :shock: :shock: :? :? Beam me up dude. The party has a fascism problem, big time.Huge time.

And can we get off the comparison with antifa (anti fascist) and BLM (anti racist police) and an attack on the vote certification by fascists. Had BLM indicated days before with plenty of warning as was the case here that they would attack the capitol they would have been met with overwhelming force. You're ass backwards along with anyone making these comparisons. There's never been anything like this in america in over 200 years and it's clear they had white privilege, not the other way around . I never used to believe in it but Trumpanzee world has opened my eyes wide.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:31 pm

This is for Asea. You weren’t picking up what I was putting down on the Jacob Blake deal. I said the cop was cleared and there were no riots . I completely agree Blake got himself shot getting in a car with cops ordering him not to . My point had nothing to do with that . Point is he got shot there was a huge riot . Cop got cleared way calmer . I think BLM overreacted all the time . Big Mike Brown of the hands up don’t shoot lie would have disarmed Wilson and killed him with his own gun. Alton Sterling in Louisiana was actually armed with a gun as a convicted murder. I hardly agree with them on many of these shoots . But last year we saw a grinning cop with his arms folded crushing black mans neck with his knee as the guy screams for mercy after maybe passing a 20 dollar bill? Argument over . As for rittenhouse he crossed state lines anc committed / murders and the DA thinks he did too. I rather doubt any cop with a black dude who just killed 2 people and still packing an AR would have got the same treatment . Then they pass him off as some clean cut kid till he’s filmed in a Wisconsin bar flashing white power signs with proud boys, laughing it up with his Trumpanzee mom wearing a shirt that said
free AF.
I rest my case . And yes I loathe Trump for good reason. As every good Patriot should .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:40 am

Over the course of the past few days, the biggest grievance some of my far right friends in my network are complaining about is the contrast between law enforcement and liberal/Dem politician's response, or failure to respond, to the riots this summer and their reaction to the Capitol insurgency. It's not the only grievance, but it's the one everyone has been talking about lately.

Thanks for clarifying. I agree that's the major grievance I hear. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there police in riot gear and mass arrests during the protests last summer? Meanwhile, we barely saw any resistance in DC, certainly no riot gear to speak of, and hundreds of people left the riot without getting arrested. I hope they can also see that. Of course, the biggest point is the purpose of the protest. One was to air grievances about police injustice, and one wanted to reverse an election....but, in their defense, the president is the one that told them the election was stolen.
I-5
Legacy

Next

Return to Off Topic