The Rise and Fall of Andrew Cuomo

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: The Rise and Fall of Andrew Cuomo

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:55 am

c_hawkbob wrote:He publicly put in his two week notice yesterday. Proving that there is still at least one party capable of registering shame.

I saw that line in an article. I'm not buying it at all.

Cuomo was pressured. He bowed to the pressure because the Democrats have to respond to this or they will lose votes. They know it. The Republicans know it. They would have crushed the Democrats relentlessly with this.

Just like when the Democrats forced Senator Al Franken to resign for far lesser allegations.

Female voters are a huge voting bloc for the Democrats. They have to keep them happy.

Like I said, you make excuses for the party you vote for. Cuomo had been doing this and covering it up for decades. The only time The Democrats feel "shame" is when they get caught after the Metoo# movement and their party forces them to step down or lose their support for political reasons, not shame. If the female voting bloc wasn't a strong component of The Democratic Party, their "shame" would have been like it had been for the previous decades of this misconduct.

Cuomo has been governor for 10 years. He's been in politics for 39 plus years.

Now you get to pretend he feels "shame" or the Democrats feel shame after decades of this type of behavior covered up by clowns like Hilary and Bill Clinton and the Kennedys and the Cuomos.

Exactly why I view you as I do. You buy the party line and slurp it up, then claim to have an independent viewpoint. You don't. Never have, never will.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:23 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:He publicly put in his two week notice yesterday. Proving that there is still at least one party capable of registering shame.

Did you listen to his speech? Talk about self aggrandizing! Sounded like he was entering the HOF instead of leaving in disgrace, taking a victory lap and thanking his parents and grade school teachers because "we" did it! And although he did give a semi apology, he only said that others misinterpreted his motives and did not apologize for his behavior. He still doesn't think that he did anything wrong, that it's all in his accuser's minds. And of course, there was no mention of the other scandal of his related to the nursing home cover-up which is arguably worse than his sexual harassment accusations. I don't call that shame, I call it denial.

The Dems dumped him because they knew he had become radioactive and would hurt them in future elections, not because they are so much more pure and moral than the Republicans. I see no reason for you to be so complimentary for anyone or any party in this sorry affair. In my view, it was a complete embarrassment for Democrats.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:49 pm

RiverDog wrote:Did you listen to his speech? Talk about self aggrandizing! Sounded like he was entering the HOF instead of leaving in disgrace, taking a victory lap and thanking his parents and grade school teachers because "we" did it! And although he did give a semi apology, he only said that others misinterpreted his motives and did not apologize for his behavior. He still doesn't think that he did anything wrong, that it's all in his accuser's minds. And of course, there was no mention of the other scandal of his related to the nursing home cover-up which is arguably worse than his sexual harassment accusations. I don't call that shame, I call it denial.

The Dems dumped him because they knew he had become radioactive and would hurt them in future elections, not because they are so much more pure and moral than the Republicans. I see no reason for you to be so complimentary for anyone or any party in this sorry affair. In my view, it was a complete embarrassment for Democrats.

Oh I agree that he has no shame (or contrition for that matter), the point is that were he a Republican he wouldn't be pressured to quit. Republicans don't get "radioactive", as the previous guy so thoroughly demonstrated. It's the party that is capable of feeling shame, not the individual.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:11 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Oh I agree that he has no shame (or contrition for that matter), the point is that were he a Republican he wouldn't be pressured to quit. Republicans don't get "radioactive", as the previous guy so thoroughly demonstrated. It's the party that is capable of feeling shame, not the individual.

First off, the Dems base includes women's groups and the #Metoo movement as a big part of their base, so I wouldn't make the assumption that they dumped Cuomo solely because they are so much more pure and moral than the Republicans. It is entirely possible, perhaps even likely, that their major motivation was political in nature.

And secondly, although I do agree that the Trumpian Republicans are without shame (they don't have votes to lose like the Dems do), there are instances where a Republican was forced by his party to quit as a result of a sex scandal. As recently as 2017, Arizona Republican Congressman Trent Franks resigned after then House Speaker Paul Ryan confronted him about allegations of sexual misconduct that the House Ethics committee was investigating, allegations far less serious and far fewer accusers than those of which Cuomo was contending with. The only reason we didn't hear more about it was because Franks and Ryan didn't let it play out for months like Cuomo did.

This is not a win for the Dems in any way, shape, or form. Cuomo was a rising star in the Democratic party, the son of a very distinguished and well known politician and often mentioned as a possible Presidential candidate. As many accusers as there were, the nature of the accusations, and for as long as this had been going on, it's hard for me to believe that the major players in the Democratic party weren't aware that there was a rotting fish in Albany. It was only AFTER his behavior became public that Democrats ran from him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:26 pm

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/13/cuomo-interview-resignation-504497

I've never heard such sham in a politician.

“I feel like I did the right thing. I did the right thing for the state,” Cuomo told New York Magazine of his decision to resign. “I’m not gonna drag the state through the mud, through a three-month, four-month impeachment, and then win, and have made the State Legislature and the state government look like a ship of fools.”

I can't believe how much sham Andrew Cuomo feels. Seems one party can still sham the American people with a straight face when it comes to metoo# after 40 plus years of Cuomo and all the sham he feels.

Just imagine, he didn't want to have a big trial to show everyone how wrong they were to help New York state. What a nice guy from a great Democratic Party.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:44 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/13/cuomo-interview-resignation-504497

I've never heard such sham in a politician.

“I feel like I did the right thing. I did the right thing for the state,” Cuomo told New York Magazine of his decision to resign. “I’m not gonna drag the state through the mud, through a three-month, four-month impeachment, and then win, and have made the State Legislature and the state government look like a ship of fools.”

Aseahawkfan wrote:I can't believe how much sham Andrew Cuomo feels. Seems one party can still sham the American people with a straight face when it comes to metoo# after 40 plus years of Cuomo and all the sham he feels.

Just imagine, he didn't want to have a big trial to show everyone how wrong they were to help New York state. What a nice guy from a great Democratic Party.

The man is in complete denial. The only guilt he's admitted to was that he did not recognized that the "line", meaning the boundary between acceptable and unacceptable sexual behavior, had somehow been moved on him. "Sorry, coach, after we broke the huddle, someone snuck in and moved the goal posts on me." I can get some of that, because he's still subject to a lawsuit and can't admit to a laundry list of misdeeds, but the way he put it, ie not knowing that the social mores had somehow changed without his knowing it, absolves him of nearly everything that he's accused of doing.

By stonewalling and forcing every Dem right up to the POTUS to come out against him, the only person he's dragged through the mud has been himself. No one else is being tarred and feathered. The man is a complete embarrassment.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic