Trump 24?

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: Trump 24?

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:43 pm

The Constitution has clearly spelled out the requirements for POTUS and they do not include such things. Same goes for convicted felons. A candidate could be convicted of murder and it wouldn't prevent them from running for POTUS.

And THAT is a problem.

The only way I could be talked into something like that is if they were required to take some sort of objective competency test.

I-5 wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I mean. As for voters, we already know a large percentage of people would not pass. But the leader of the free world should have a somewhat higher bar.

I agree in principle, but it's not a practical idea. The problem is who writes the test? Who decides what a passing grade is? Are there some questions that certain demographic groups are more likely to answer correctly than others? There's no way one could ever write a completely fair and objective test.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:56 pm

I agree in principle, but it's not a practical idea. The problem is who writes the test? Who decides what a passing grade is? Are there some questions that certain demographic groups are more likely to answer correctly than others? There's no way one could ever write a completely fair and objective test.

Since you said yourself you could be talked into it, what could kind of test could convince you of its objectivity? In terms of who writes the test, it could be the responsibility of both sides. Kind of like how my sister and I decided to split a candy bar when we were kids. One would break it apart, and the other would choose. You can bet that candy bar was cut dead center.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:42 pm

I-5 wrote:Since you said yourself you could be talked into it, what could kind of test could convince you of its objectivity? In terms of who writes the test, it could be the responsibility of both sides. Kind of like how my sister and I decided to split a candy bar when we were kids. One would break it apart, and the other would choose. You can bet that candy bar was cut dead center.

My mom used to do something similar. My brother and I used to argue over who got the bigger piece of cake, so she made one of us cut a large piece in two and the other have the first choice.

But to answer your question, I would devise a test similar to what immigrants have to take to gain their citizenship. It's a lot of civics type questions, like how many Senators are there, who is the Governor of your state, how old do you have to be to vote, name the 3 branches of government, what are the first 10 amendments to the Constitution called, etc....although I don't agree with the questions being asked of immigrants as it's too heavily weighted towards civics. I'd rather ask them "how many beers can a 150 pound male drink before they are legally drunk?" "What phone number do you call if someone has a medical emergency?" "What kind of instructions can an employer not ask an employee to do?" (unsafe, illegal, or immoral).
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic