Breakthrough infection

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: Breakthrough infection

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:55 am

Hawktawk wrote:I’ve received word my 62 year old friend and co worker who was my source of infection and not vaccinated will be removed from the ventilator today and almost certainly die . :( I can’t even wrap my head around it .

I'm truly sorry for your (impending) loss.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:10 am

Hawktawk wrote:I’ve received word my 62 year old friend and co worker who was my source of infection and not vaccinated will be removed from the ventilator today and almost certainly die . :( I can’t even wrap my head around it .

c_hawkbob wrote:I'm truly sorry for your (impending) loss.

Me, too. Despite my very strong objections to the anti vax crowd, I never want to see anyone die. You have my heartfelt sympathies.

However, good on you for having the common sense to get vaccinated. As I'm sure you realize, that could be you on that death bed.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:35 pm

I haven’t heard an update on Paul but I don’t expect good news .

The crap is all about viral load vs immune system and I sat 2 feet from him for 2 hours straight talking cars and sports and me drinking beers and him cokes. It’s the last time I’ve seen him . He texted the following Monday he was running a 103 and was hospitalized a couple days later .
I am certain I’d have been very ill at a minimum were i unvaxed but you never know . He was infected by his wife most likely and this is why the home is such a spreader and also causes severe cases and sometimes multiple deaths in the family . Someone gets it and brings it home and exposes everyone continuously for several days . A husband and wife sleep together typically . It’s a massive viral load . Viral load is why the 6 feet , masks , shutting down indoor areas with poor ventilation . I believe it’s why my wife was sicker than me . I exposed her for 5 days before my diagnosis . Bottom line this stuff is the shits and a plague on the earth . Biblical proportions . Scary
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Bottom line this stuff is the shits and a plague on the earth . Biblical proportions . Scary

I agree that it's a scary pandemic, but it doesn't hold a candle to past plagues.

There's been about 5 million deaths worldwide from Covid. The Spanish Flu, from 1918-1920, killed an estimated 50 million, and when you consider the population increase since then, an even more dramatic percentage of the population.

In the 14th century, the Bubonic Plague killed 25%-60% of the European continent, had a 10% mortality rate if treated, a 30%-90% rate if untreated.

I'm not trying to diminish the seriousness of the pandemic, but it is far from biblical proportions.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:34 pm

Had to pause a minute there my friend after what you just wrote . 5 million people in 2020-21 at least including one of my moms growing up, my wife’s healthy 70 year old uncle , a classmate in coulee city , a Heath nut who tried self therapy till they hauled him off in an ambulance to die . One of my employees lost his healthy 39 year old cousin. And I know so many who are long haul , spent a month or more hospitalized and so It’s happening in spite of the knowledge and science and medical technology eons beyond the dark ages or even the Spanish Flu . Delta is currently swamping US hospitals like never before in many areas with military medic strike teams being deployed . In the USA in 2021 , the second wealthiest country in the world has 5% of the world population and 20% of the deaths . Now here comes omicron and it’s still very unclear how potent it will be but it’s “far more transmittable “ vaxxed people have less symptoms but are 3 times as likely to get this as delta . The most alarming thing from South Africa is that the number of children 5 and under in the hospital has exploded. Theories as to why include 0 percent vaccinated.

Here’s the thing RD. What you said is incredibly tone deaf . Beyond that this isn’t over . Everyone knows the second year of the Spanish flu killed 45-65 million . The draconian actions being taken by governments at the request of infectious disease experts tells me they are scared witless. Uk is on its 4th shot as is Israel . Us will likely require boosters to consider fully vaccinated .
This ain’t over and we’re losing 1 k people a day. Fauci say we are gonna have to live with it . And with the Tucker Carlsons and right wing snake oil peddlers a lot more will get sick and tie up hospitals and die and breed variants . And with this Fd up world it’s clear people aren’t ever going to pull together .This part is the street preacher in me . It’s the most biblical plague ever and has laid bare the evil among the people of this nation . The greed, the lack of empathy or willingness to sacrifice for others . I can’t remember the name but an extremely prominent televangelist with 100’million subscribers who called vaccinations a sin against god died at 61 unvaxed day before yesterday . . His lear jet won’t help him now . That’s the craziest thing about the vax resistance it’s led by the church , evangelicals. Imagine how many he led to their death. Maybe Paul is one but street preacher has prayed every day and I’ve seen people recover from all kinds of stuff so I’ll keep hope . Anyway RD you’re a friend and I don’t want to overcook it but dude when 5 million in 2021 don’t even bump the needle as a crisis you’re callous and if you think the math is added up already your literally whistling in the graveyard . This scares the s*** out of me . It should everyone .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:25 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Had to pause a minute there my friend after what you just wrote . 5 million people in 2020-21 at least including one of my moms growing up, my wife’s healthy 70 year old uncle , a classmate in coulee city , a Heath nut who tried self therapy till they hauled him off in an ambulance to die . One of my employees lost his healthy 39 year old cousin. And I know so many who are long haul , spent a month or more hospitalized and so It’s happening in spite of the knowledge and science and medical technology eons beyond the dark ages or even the Spanish Flu . Delta is currently swamping US hospitals like never before in many areas with military medic strike teams being deployed . In the USA in 2021 , the second wealthiest country in the world has 5% of the world population and 20% of the deaths . Now here comes omicron and it’s still very unclear how potent it will be but it’s “far more transmittable “ vaxxed people have less symptoms but are 3 times as likely to get this as delta . The most alarming thing from South Africa is that the number of children 5 and under in the hospital has exploded. Theories as to why include 0 percent vaccinated.

Here’s the thing RD. What you said is incredibly tone deaf . Beyond that this isn’t over . Everyone knows the second year of the Spanish flu killed 45-65 million . The draconian actions being taken by governments at the request of infectious disease experts tells me they are scared witless. Uk is on its 4th shot as is Israel . Us will likely require boosters to consider fully vaccinated .
This ain’t over and we’re losing 1 k people a day. Fauci say we are gonna have to live with it . And with the Tucker Carlsons and right wing snake oil peddlers a lot more will get sick and tie up hospitals and die and breed variants . And with this Fd up world it’s clear people aren’t ever going to pull together .This part is the street preacher in me . It’s the most biblical plague ever and has laid bare the evil among the people of this nation . The greed, the lack of empathy or willingness to sacrifice for others . I can’t remember the name but an extremely prominent televangelist with 100’million subscribers who called vaccinations a sin against god died at 61 unvaxed day before yesterday . . His lear jet won’t help him now . That’s the craziest thing about the vax resistance it’s led by the church , evangelicals. Imagine how many he led to their death. Maybe Paul is one but street preacher has prayed every day and I’ve seen people recover from all kinds of stuff so I’ll keep hope . Anyway RD you’re a friend and I don’t want to overcook it but dude when 5 million in 2021 don’t even bump the needle as a crisis you’re callous and if you think the math is added up already your literally whistling in the graveyard . This scares the s*** out of me . It should everyone .

You gotta calm down. You're going to stress yourself sick.

Life is life. You take the good with the bad and just keep going until you can't and you drop. That's the lot you've been handed as a human being. A relatively short life of ups and downs that you have to try to enjoy as much as possible with the years given.

Don't worry about too much you can't control. Just do your best to protect yourself and your loved ones. That's all you can do.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:53 pm

Hawktawk,

Like River said, it was about 50 million over the entire length of the pandemic, and they had twice as many cases then as we do now.

I don’t discount the reality of Covid, but comparisons to the Spanish Flu should be tempered by the fact that they had zero knowledge of viral disease at that time. That’s not to say viruses didn’t exist, they just didn’t know that’s what they were (I.e. organisms that infect a host and replicate by taking over host cells). So here we are in the modern day with a vast and deep understanding of how viruses work coupled with modern medicine. The world is much better equipped to deal with this now than they were then.

The Spanish Flu did its damage and eventually died down enough to no longer be the threat it started as and without the advantages we have now. I am hopeful Covid will do the same thing with a far lower death toll.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:08 am

I’m not sitting in a climate controlled dome . I’m not predicting this is the Spanish flu. I’m pointing out this is completely screwing up the entire world after 2 years still bewildering scientists . I see the extreme reliance on vaccine among progressive nations . Then I look at America where 85% dem and 52% R are vaccinated but when polled only 30 of Rs and. 70% of Ds plan on a booster We’re one big national Darwin Award waiting to be handed out. Last report my friend Paul is still breathing . That was 8 pm.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:47 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Had to pause a minute there my friend after what you just wrote . 5 million people in 2020-21 at least including one of my moms growing up, my wife’s healthy 70 year old uncle , a classmate in coulee city , a Heath nut who tried self therapy till they hauled him off in an ambulance to die . One of my employees lost his healthy 39 year old cousin. And I know so many who are long haul , spent a month or more hospitalized and so It’s happening in spite of the knowledge and science and medical technology eons beyond the dark ages or even the Spanish Flu . Delta is currently swamping US hospitals like never before in many areas with military medic strike teams being deployed . In the USA in 2021 , the second wealthiest country in the world has 5% of the world population and 20% of the deaths . Now here comes omicron and it’s still very unclear how potent it will be but it’s “far more transmittable “ vaxxed people have less symptoms but are 3 times as likely to get this as delta . The most alarming thing from South Africa is that the number of children 5 and under in the hospital has exploded. Theories as to why include 0 percent vaccinated.

I really need to offer River an apology here . His comparison was not meant to offend and it’s mathematically correct . Maybe not the time to compare plagues but still I said things that don’t represent who River is or my impression of him. It’s an emotional time but still my apologies ..My friend Paul died of Covid this morning . On Oct 22 we were talking cars and sports . One of the last stories he told me was about being pulled over by state trooper Ryan Raymond of WSU Raymond twins fame for doing 140 mph in his Camaro SS . As a cop he wasn’t arrested but for some reason a guy that drove like a madman , rode his BMW bike to work at 150 didn’t want to take a jab . It’s senseless avoidable deaths all over the world but this one brought it home for me . :(
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:35 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I really need to offer River an apology here . His comparison was not meant to offend and it’s mathematically correct . Maybe not the time to compare plagues but still I said things that don’t represent who River is or my impression of him. It’s an emotional time but still my apologies ..My friend Paul died of Covid this morning . On Oct 22 we were talking cars and sports . One of the last stories he told me was about being pulled over by state trooper Ryan Raymond of WSU Raymond twins fame for doing 140 mph in his Camaro SS . As a cop he wasn’t arrested but for some reason a guy that drove like a madman , rode his BMW bike to work at 150 didn’t want to take a jab . It’s senseless avoidable deaths all over the world but this one brought it home for me . :(

No apology necessary, my friend. I understand where you're coming from. But I do appreciate your gesture.

When the pandemic first broke out, got into an argument with my best friend who was arguing that Covid was "small potatoes" compared to the Plague and Spanish Flu. One of the things I told him was that Covid is a work in progress, that we don't know yet how it's going to end so it was pointless to compare it with past pandemics. It's the worst pandemic in over 100 years, and that's good enough for me.

I wasn't trying to minimize the disease. The comment of yours that I was reacting to was your "biblical proportions" characterization.

I sincerely hope that your friend recovers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:06 pm

Paul died this morning .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:35 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Paul died this morning .

That sucks. Truly, Hawktalk, you have my deepest sympathies.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:11 am

My condolences, Hawktawk. Terrible to lose a friend even if you aren't agreeable on some things.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:58 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:My condolences, Hawktawk. Terrible to lose a friend even if you aren't agreeable on some things.

It’s harder to be angry at the anti vax crowd when you lose someone you really care about and know well. Ever since this broke 22 months ago Paul called it “ a flu” knowing his pro trump politics I’m sure he was not vaxxed . But a genuinely good dude and my biggest fan and supporter from day one when I came to run the course . Paul would stand to attention and give me a crisp military style salute every time I drove by him and I mean every time . Just a goofy funny man who enjoyed life . He told me once . I have a tough job . I have to mow these fairways so I can go golf on them :lol: it’s a terrible loss . I’m sure in the end he regretted his choice as the thousands of accounts I’ve heard . But it I were to go to social media and tell this story in hopes of changing minds I’d have a fight on my hands . I have friends in my hometown who are so vocally anti vax I don’t even associate with their cult anymore and there are awful stories of horrible death in that town . It doesn’t matter . I had some fat slob at the grocery checkout just decide to talk coronavirus and offer up that in India they are requiring g vaccines just to shop. I told him I was vaxxed and would take boosters as needed . I told him I had a friend on his death bed . He said people should “ have the right to die if they want “ I know you all read my bipolar blather and let’s say I was a millimeter from a verbal takedown in front of God and everybody . It’s truly hopeless . On the positive side vaccinations have ticked up to the point where 71% of all adults are vaccinated and some within boosters . Although Republicans are about 50% and even less plan on boosters . So we have to protect ourselves , seek activities that mandate vax or negative tests and stay current on shots . Everyone for themselves . ain’t America greater than great
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:03 am

It doesn't hold a candle to the trauma that Hawktalk has had to go through in losing one of his best friends, but it looks like I'm going to have to make a change in plans due to this Omicron variant.

I have two high school friends that I've seen just 3 times since our graduation in 1973. They were Japanese exchange students that I've maintained contact with over all these years. Earlier this summer, they invited me to come visit them in Japan, so I made plans, put down a deposit with a tour company, bought airline tickets, and was going to spend a couple days with them in Tokyo in mid March.

Last week, they emailed me and told me that Japan had closed its borders to all international travelers beginning on Dec. 1st for at least a month and suggested that I change my plans to come later this summer. The problem is that I wanted to do it early enough so as to not force my wife to have to take care of our property (we live on a 1 acre lot), and I'd rather not go in the fall due to football season. One of the guys is moving back to the US soon, so it could be now or never as far as visiting him in Japan.

Oh, well.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:39 am

It’s the new normal and it sucks
Hawktawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic