Sleepy Joe Cuts the Cheese

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Sleepy Joe Cuts the Cheese

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:42 am

I'm not sure how accurate this report is, but it popped up on my news feed so it's not as if it's from some moonbat lunatic website:

A royal source revealed to the Mail on Sunday that President Biden broke wind while he was engaging in polite small talk with the Duchess of Cornwall. This incident reportedly shocked the Duchess who was unable to ignore this loud faux pas.

An informed source said, "It was long and loud and impossible to ignore," as they added, "Camilla hasn't stopped talking about it."

Unfortunately for Biden, this wasn't the only faux pas of the COP26 Summit as the President was also snapped getting some shut eye during a talk. While listening to a pre-recorded message from South African activist Eddie Ndopu, the President shut his eyes for around 20 seconds before an aide appeared at his side and seemed to wake him up.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ummit.html

Sounds like some good material for SNL.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Sleepy Joe Cuts the Cheese

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:52 pm

There we’re shots of Trump dozing off during meetings, too and quite frankly I’m not
sure I could stay awake in some of those meetings either.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:47 pm

NorthHawk wrote:There we’re shots of Trump dozing off during meetings, too and quite frankly I’m not sure I could stay awake in some of those meetings either.

Ronald Reagan frequently dozed off during cabinet meetings, too. But dozing off wasn't the point of the OP, rather it was the musical fruit that Biden must have eaten on his trip to England.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:37 pm

Our country is run by 70 and 80 year olds. This is about as surprising as learning Joe Biden takes Geritol or something. The man is 78 and rising. He probably can't even control things like this. Hopefully he isn't wearing diapers at this point.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:38 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Our country is run by 70 and 80 year olds. This is about as surprising as learning Joe Biden takes Geritol or something. The man is 78 and rising. He probably can't even control things like this. Hopefully he isn't wearing diapers at this point.

LOL!

I could be talked into having a 2nd age requirement for POTUS. We have a minimum age, but no maximum. As a society, we've done a great job getting more and more of us into our 70's and 80's, but there hasn't been much progress on improving the quality of life, or specifically, mental acuity.

It will be interesting to see if SNL picks up on this or if they only make fun of Republican presidents. Too bad Johnny Carson isn't around.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:46 pm

RiverDog wrote:LOL!

I could be talked into having a 2nd age requirement for POTUS. We have a minimum age, but no maximum. As a society, we've done a great job getting more and more of us into our 70's and 80's, but there hasn't been much progress on improving the quality of life, or specifically, mental acuity.

It will be interesting to see if SNL picks up on this or if they only make fun of Republican presidents. Too bad Johnny Carson isn't around.

I worked with 70 plus year olds. They tell some great stories and have things to teach. But you don't want them running countries and corporations. They go to sleep early. Their energy levels are generally low if not taking drugs. Their mind's aren't nearly as sharp as they used to be. They deal with health issues from aging. Not sure why we want super old people running countries. It seems to crazy to me.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:46 pm

That's such a republican thing to say. SNL has never not made fun of a president, any president... and you guys call other people 'snowflakes'.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:52 pm

RiverDog wrote:I could be talked into having a 2nd age requirement for POTUS. We have a minimum age, but no maximum. As a society, we've done a great job getting more and more of us into our 70's and 80's, but there hasn't been much progress on improving the quality of life, or specifically, mental acuity.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I worked with 70 plus year olds. They tell some great stories and have things to teach. But you don't want them running countries and corporations. They go to sleep early. Their energy levels are generally low if not taking drugs. Their mind's aren't nearly as sharp as they used to be. They deal with health issues from aging. Not sure why we want super old people running countries. It seems to crazy to me.

I tend to agree, but not because they lack energy or go to sleep early (think about soon to be 71 year old Pete Carroll). They start to lose their cognitive thought process. Short term memory becomes really bad. My 86 year old mother used to watch the Mariners game to its conclusion, go to bed, then wake up not remembering who won. She once told me that she wanted to sell her house until I reminded her that her granddaughter was still living in it.

Cognitive thought process varies from person to person but there's no objective test that one can devise that can accurately assess mental acuity. It depends on the opinion of the person giving the test. We would never get the two parties to agree on a testing process. If there were an objective means of qualifying or disqualifying a candidate, I'd opt for that instead of an age requirement.

As long as Biden has surrounded himself with trustworthy, competent people, then I don't see a problem with it for the day-to-day stuff. But I'd hate to get him in a high stakes negotiation with the Chinese where he needs to be on top of his game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:05 pm

I’m ready for Kamala personally . Not because he farted on Camille . He can’t talk even reading off a teleprompter . At least Trump could although like a fifth grader . He cannot ad lib for a minute without losing his train of thought . He tells almost as many lies as his predecessor but unlike Trump who lied to lie Biden just seems unaware of the policies of his own adminstration . I thought he would be better . I will say his coronavirus response has been far superior and hamstrung by the politics of his predecessor . He got infrastructure done .

But my biggest issue has always been commander in chief. We can’t have a guy falling asleep repeatedly in televised events and making statements proving they are out of touch with reality controlling the nuclear codes . No different than the previous manic dude trying to tweet us into WW3. Don’t forget Mattis slept in his uniform he was so concerned about the erratic Trump . But we have traded psycho for senile . Neither is ok. Of course with Kamala at 28% the party won’t do the right thing any more than the Republican Party would remove Trump . I don’t think we’ve ever lived in more perilous times and we have all these old dudes not just in the White House but the congress and Supreme Court . As Asea says it’s insanity.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:47 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I’m ready for Kamala personally . Not because he farted on Camille . He can’t talk even reading off a teleprompter . At least Trump could although like a fifth grader . He cannot ad lib for a minute without losing his train of thought . He tells almost as many lies as his predecessor but unlike Trump who lied to lie Biden just seems unaware of the policies of his own adminstration . I thought he would be better . I will say his coronavirus response has been far superior and hamstrung by the politics of his predecessor . He got infrastructure done .

But my biggest issue has always been commander in chief. We can’t have a guy falling asleep repeatedly in televised events and making statements proving they are out of touch with reality controlling the nuclear codes . No different than the previous manic dude trying to tweet us into WW3. Don’t forget Mattis slept in his uniform he was so concerned about the erratic Trump . But we have traded psycho for senile . Neither is ok. Of course with Kamala at 28% the party won’t do the right thing any more than the Republican Party would remove Trump . I don’t think we’ve ever lived in more perilous times and we have all these old dudes not just in the White House but the congress and Supreme Court . As Asea says it’s insanity.

I'm ready for 50 something young Republican with energy and some vision for a different America who isn't a looney Trumper or a Bush Era neocon who wants to go to war. Someone real focused on economic health and pushing into the next century on education as well. I'd even take a Kennedy style Democrat without the headaches with the women who is populist, not into race or gender baiting, and still makes you feel like they love America and want to make it a better country rather than endlessly talk about everything America has done wrong to women and minorities while promising they will fix it all to get votes then do not much different while continuing to talk about it.

We need a new direction in leadership in this nation rather than staying mired in foolishness.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:13 am

c_hawkbob wrote:That's such a republican thing to say. SNL has never not made fun of a president, any president... and you guys call other people 'snowflakes'.

Could be. I haven't watched SNL regularly for decades. I do recall seeing a number on Bill Clinton, and of course, Jimmy Carter was lampooned often.

However, highlights of the SNL skits showing Alec Baldwin's impersonation of Donald Trump appeared regularly on network news and variety shows on nearly a weekly basis for 4 years. Although I'm sure that they exist, I can't recall seeing a single one featuring Barak Obama in the 8 years he was in office.

BTW, I have never called anyone a 'snowflake', either online or in person and would appreciate it if you did not lump me into the generic category of a 'Republican'. I am admittedly more conservative than I am liberal but I think that even you would have to admit that I don't fit the typical profile of a R.
Last edited by RiverDog on Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:28 am

Hawktawk wrote:I’m ready for Kamala personally . Not because he farted on Camille . He can’t talk even reading off a teleprompter . At least Trump could although like a fifth grader . He cannot ad lib for a minute without losing his train of thought . He tells almost as many lies as his predecessor but unlike Trump who lied to lie Biden just seems unaware of the policies of his own adminstration . I thought he would be better . I will say his coronavirus response has been far superior and hamstrung by the politics of his predecessor . He got infrastructure done .

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm ready for 50 something young Republican with energy and some vision for a different America who isn't a looney Trumper or a Bush Era neocon who wants to go to war. Someone real focused on economic health and pushing into the next century on education as well. I'd even take a Kennedy style Democrat without the headaches with the women who is populist, not into race or gender baiting, and still makes you feel like they love America and want to make it a better country rather than endlessly talk about everything America has done wrong to women and minorities while promising they will fix it all to get votes then do not much different while continuing to talk about it.

We need a new direction in leadership in this nation rather than staying mired in foolishness.

The only way I'd vote for Harris is if the R's trot out Donald Trump or a Trump clone like DeSantis. Same goes for other offices, federal and otherwise. My litmus test will be what their position on Trump and Trumpism is.

We have a couple of candidates for the Republican nomination for US Representative in my district (and I think Hawktalks), a seat currently occupied by Dan Newhouse, one of the few R's that voted to impeach Trump in his 2nd impeachment hearing. One is Loren Culp, a Trump clone that ran for Governor and even though he lost by a huge margin, didn't concede and like Trump, claimed election fraud with even less evidence than what Trump had. The other one is Jerrod Sessler, whose name started popping up on roadside advertisements and using Trump buzz words like America First but that I don't much more about.

We'll see who emerges on both sides after the 2022 midterms. At this point, it's hard to tell how many R's will distance themselves from Trump, but if the Virginia governor's election is any indication, it looks like they're going to try to appeal to Trump supporters without mentioning Trump himself.

I doubt that we'll hear from very many Democratic POTUS candidates unless Biden decides not to run for a 2nd term.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:58 am

There's rumblings about Manchin challenging Biden in a primary and he's had talks with Republican mega donors. There's an old guy who still has it together and I think he would be formidable. He's more of a centrist than anyone in the governement.I probably fall more along the lines of what Sen Cassidy of Louisiana said about a cognitive function test for all members of government. I can look at Biden and trump and fail them personally .

I've not seen anything to indicate I could support Harris in 24 at this point. Im talking right now. Immediately. 25th amendment. Tired of feeling like there's not a steady hand on the wheel cause were all on the plane and there's no parachutes. She's been basically silenced by the administration since her "do not come" comment regarding the swarm on the border. She couldn't be worse than Biden.

I heard a real interesting 24 name drop. Liz Cheney. Absolutely principled bulldog tough arch conservative that took zero % of Trump's guff and still wont. Voted to impeach. Her fundraising is blowing up. Younkin in Virginia showed a blueprint for avoiding appearances with Trump and winning moderates and independents. The party is desperate to move on minus the Trump wing but just scared of the trump party retards and the retard they support.

I've seen where the meter maid from republic Loren Culp is being pushed by the spreadneck Trump retard party to take out Newhouse. I have news for the Trumplican party. I personally will never support anyone who supported trump in the impeachment or the stolen election claims. Never. They can chant lets go Brandon all they want but Trump is the only man on the planet Biden would have beaten. I root for the party to break free of the evil that is trump and his cult. He is the democrats only chance in 22 and beyond.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:26 am

Hawktawk wrote:There's rumblings about Manchin challenging Biden in a primary and he's had talks with Republican mega donors. There's an old guy who still has it together and I think he would be formidable. He's more of a centrist than anyone in the governement.I probably fall more along the lines of what Sen Cassidy of Louisiana said about a cognitive function test for all members of government. I can look at Biden and trump and fail them personally .

I've not seen anything to indicate I could support Harris in 24 at this point. Im talking right now. Immediately. 25th amendment. Tired of feeling like there's not a steady hand on the wheel cause were all on the plane and there's no parachutes. She's been basically silenced by the administration since her "do not come" comment regarding the swarm on the border. She couldn't be worse than Biden.

I heard a real interesting 24 name drop. Liz Cheney. Absolutely principled bulldog tough arch conservative that took zero % of Trump's guff and still wont. Voted to impeach. Her fundraising is blowing up. Younkin in Virginia showed a blueprint for avoiding appearances with Trump and winning moderates and independents. The party is desperate to move on minus the Trump wing but just scared of the trump party retards and the retard they support.

I've seen where the meter maid from republic Loren Culp is being pushed by the spreadneck Trump retard party to take out Newhouse. I have news for the Trumplican party. I personally will never support anyone who supported trump in the impeachment or the stolen election claims. Never. They can chant lets go Brandon all they want but Trump is the only man on the planet Biden would have beaten. I root for the party to break free of the evil that is trump and his cult. He is the democrats only chance in 22 and beyond.

I'd vote for Manchin in a heartbeat but he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the nomination. The bulk of the Democratic party hates him. Same goes for Liz Cheney, but likewise, her chances of winning the nomination are extremely remote. Cassidy probably has a better chance, especially given that he's from the south, but I doubt that he'd get the nomination, either. But he's the type of R that I could vote for.

The 25th Amendment is a non starter for removing Biden even more so than it was for removing Trump. It was designed as an escape hatch should a POTUS become physically impaired, and the motivation for it is rooted in Woodrow Wilson, who suffered a debilitating stroke that left him paralyzed and unable to speak. The First Lady hid his true condition from the public, even signing his name to documents. Wilson served another 1.5 years after his stroke until Warren Harding was elected and sworn in.

After JFK was assassinated, a lot people started asking questions as to what would have happened if he had survived but suffered permanent brain damage. Impeachment, the only Constitutional method available for removing a President, doesn't apply it as it only refers to "high crimes and misdemeanors" so a clause was inserted into the 25th that would address situations of physical incapacity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:14 am

Manchin is the Dem version of Mitch McConnel. Wants to maintain the status quo at all costs and likes to keep is name in the news cycle by holding up legislation whenever possible.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:36 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Manchin is the Dem version of Mitch McConnel. Wants to maintain the status quo at all costs and likes to keep is name in the news cycle by holding up legislation whenever possible.

Manchin is one of the very few Democrats that is concerned about inflation and reckless government spending, which IMO is the biggest single threat to our economy. We can't just keep printing money and not expect to suffer any consequences.

As a Social Security recipient, my wife will be receiving a 5.9% raise next year (I'm deferring my SS until I'm 70). That sounds great until one realizes that it's all going to be eaten up by inflation and an increase in Medicare premiums and out of pocket deductibles. Heating costs alone are anticipated to go up over 20%. Medicare Part D out of pocket threshold before catastrophic coverage begins is going up 7.6% Food, housing, prescription drugs, and medical services, items that seniors spend the bulk of their money on, are all expected to have substantial price increases in 2022.

Manchin is one of the few voices reason within the Democratic party that recognizes the threat that inflation poses, especially to seniors.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:49 pm

I think Manchin would be formidable in a democratic primary assuming Biden attempted to run again. almost 70% of americans including 26% of Democrats donmt want him to run. Manchin is what the democratic party used to be, the party my dad supported. Socially compassionate and fiscally conservative. Party of the working man. His statements after the election with zero coattails about "defund the police" not being what the party is about were true. But as much as i hoped it wouldnt be true those who said Biden is a trojan horse for the left wing were right in most cases. IMO someone like Joe Manchin would appeal to quite a few democrats and also independents like myself who lean conservative but will never support Trump or one of his lackeys. I've seen enough of Biden. he should be gone right now. Its putting the nation in peril because his decline is in plain sight.

https://www.axios.com/trump-hang-mike-p ... 862be.html and in other news Trump defends the rioters chanting hang mike pence in an interview. And 60% of the party prefers him in 24 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Beam me up :cry:
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:29 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I think Manchin would be formidable in a democratic primary assuming Biden attempted to run again. almost 70% of americans including 26% of Democrats donmt want him to run. Manchin is what the democratic party used to be, the party my dad supported. Socially compassionate and fiscally conservative. Party of the working man. His statements after the election with zero coattails about "defund the police" not being what the party is about were true. But as much as i hoped it wouldnt be true those who said Biden is a trojan horse for the left wing were right in most cases. IMO someone like Joe Manchin would appeal to quite a few democrats and also independents like myself who lean conservative but will never support Trump or one of his lackeys. I've seen enough of Biden. he should be gone right now. Its putting the nation in peril because his decline is in plain sight.

https://www.axios.com/trump-hang-mike-p ... 862be.html and in other news Trump defends the rioters chanting hang mike pence in an interview. And 60% of the party prefers him in 24 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Beam me up :cry:

I'm not as upset with Biden as you apparently are. I fully support some of his initiatives, such as the vaccine and mask mandates, which right now is the single biggest thing that's keeping the country from getting back on its feet again. I do agree that his cognitive mental decline should disqualify him from being POTUS but I don't think it's to the point where it's placing the country in peril. I'd rather have him in there than that moonbat Bernie Sanders or someone else from the left wing of the Democratic party. If he runs again, I'll give strong consideration to voting for him again.

I'm not even sure if Manchin wants to run for POTUS. I seriously doubt that he'd challenge Biden in the primaries. Besides, Manchin is 74 and if elected POTUS in 2024, would be 77 years old when he took the oath of office. Given your concerns over Biden's age related problems at 78 years old, what makes you think that a 77 year old Manchin would be anymore qualified than Biden?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:37 pm

However, highlights of the SNL skits showing Alec Baldwin's impersonation of Donald Trump appeared regularly on network news and variety shows on nearly a weekly basis for 4 years. Although I'm sure that they exist, I can't recall seeing a single one featuring Barak Obama in the 8 years he was in office.

Riv, since you haven't been watching SNL in decades, they've lampooned every POTUS, including at least 3 different actors spoofing Obama. My favorite being 'The Rock Obama' played by - who else - Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson
https://youtu.be/d5GN90UiImo

You're missing out on some excellent writing. It hasn't all been downhill since the days of Akroyd and Belushi - the current cast being one of the most versatile and talented I've seen.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:32 pm

RiverDog wrote:However, highlights of the SNL skits showing Alec Baldwin's impersonation of Donald Trump appeared regularly on network news and variety shows on nearly a weekly basis for 4 years. Although I'm sure that they exist, I can't recall seeing a single one featuring Barak Obama in the 8 years he was in office.

I-5 wrote:Riv, since you haven't been watching SNL in decades, they've lampooned every POTUS, including at least 3 different actors spoofing Obama. My favorite being 'The Rock Obama' played by - who else - Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson
https://youtu.be/d5GN90UiImo

You're missing out on some excellent writing. It hasn't all been downhill since the days of Akroyd and Belushi - the current cast being one of the most versatile and talented I've seen.

It's not that they haven't spoofed every POTUS, it's that the daytime shows on network TV, like the Today Show, didn't pick it up and re-broadcast it like they did with Trump. Admittedly Trump brought a lot of it on himself with his silly tweets and his truly moronic statements, but nevertheless, the media's treatment of him is very indicative of a liberal bias.

I still watch SNL occasionally, but not with the frequency I did back in the 70's and 80's. There was one occasion when I was in college, in the days before VCR's, when I took a date home early just so I could get back to my apartment and watch SNL. It was the highlight of my week.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:20 pm

I think Manchin would be formidable in a democratic primary assuming Biden attempted to run again. almost 70% of americans including 26% of Democrats donmt want him to run.

Seems Cackles would be a shoo in. She will maintain the consistency of the incredibly effective current administration…
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:30 pm

RiverDog wrote:It's not that they haven't spoofed every POTUS, it's that the daytime shows on network TV, like the Today Show, didn't pick it up and re-broadcast it like they did with Trump. Admittedly Trump brought a lot of it on himself with his silly tweets and his truly moronic statements, but nevertheless, the media's treatment of him is very indicative of a liberal bias. I still watch SNL occasionally, but not with the frequency I did back in the 70's and 80's. There was one occasion when I was in college, in the days before VCR's, when I took a date home early just so I could get back to my apartment and watch SNL. It was the highlight of my week.

It's not hard to be biased against a true idiot that Trump proved to be every day he was in office. He definitely brings the attention to himself, and I don't think it's by accident.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:50 am

RiverDog wrote:It's not that they haven't spoofed every POTUS, it's that the daytime shows on network TV, like the Today Show, didn't pick it up and re-broadcast it like they did with Trump. Admittedly Trump brought a lot of it on himself with his silly tweets and his truly moronic statements, but nevertheless, the media's treatment of him is very indicative of a liberal bias. I still watch SNL occasionally, but not with the frequency I did back in the 70's and 80's. There was one occasion when I was in college, in the days before VCR's, when I took a date home early just so I could get back to my apartment and watch SNL. It was the highlight of my week.

I-5 wrote:It's not hard to be biased against a true idiot that Trump proved to be every day he was in office. He definitely brings the attention to himself, and I don't think it's by accident.

I agree that it's an easy leap to take, but a much easier one for a liberal than for a conservative, but I do think that the majority of his moronic statements are not by accident. Trump doesn't have the work ethic to force him to keep his mind fresh, doesn't read books or news articles. That's why they quit giving him security briefings, because he'd take one look at it and toss it into the garbage can. The result is that he doesn't have a command of basic facts. His geography lessons are truly laughable, like putting Paris in Germany, the Mexican border in Colorado, and telling the PM of India that they don't have a border with China.
Last edited by RiverDog on Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:54 am

curmudgeon wrote:
Seems Cackles would be a shoo in. She will maintain the consistency of the incredibly effective current administration…

Kamelo2 is considerably less popular than poopy Joe . She’s shedding employees and the rats are abandoning the ship . Biden seems to be threatened and has suppressed her somewhat . I’d rather see Liz Cheney .
He’s actually crept up a point or 2 . Regardless of rather one likes his policies or not ( I’m split 70-30 against ) he’s gotten some priorities addressed . My issue with him is his mental fitness and stamina to govern . It’s truly difficult to try to watch him talk and it’s a clear decline since the election . His video chat with Putin was edited to a few sound bites and he still sounded drunk https://www.the-sun.com/news/4221659/bi ... ticle=true .

A televised address on coronavirus was abruptly cut mid broadcast by the WH. He is being shielded from the press unlike any before , has a written list of reporters to call on and can barely put a sentence together without losing his train of though . I do not trust this man to be the commander in chief of the military any more than the last guy who set him up for strategic failure . Russia has 175 k troops on the border with Ukraine . China has the largest Navy in the world and their Hypersonic missile program is the most advanced in the world and they tested a hypersonic missile that orbits the earth then glides to its targets , impossible to intercept . The missile also discharged a secondary projectile while traveling thousands of miles per hour , challenging the laws of physics . Long and short it’s the most dangerous time in the history of the planet . As sure of himself as Biden is domestic policy wise he is extremely weak and indecisive and mostly just weak as Afghanistan proved anything . I don’t think he’s mentally right . Kamala doesn’t seem to be very substantial gravitas wise but at least she can talk and stay awake when talking to foreign leaders on TV. 25th amendment . If he were a pilot he’d be grounded /
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:54 am

Hawktawk wrote:Kamelo2 is considerably less popular than poopy Joe . She’s shedding employees and the rats are abandoning the ship . Biden seems to be threatened and has suppressed her somewhat . I’d rather see Liz Cheney .

He’s actually crept up a point or 2 . Regardless of rather one likes his policies or not ( I’m split 70-30 against ) he’s gotten some priorities addressed . My issue with him is his mental fitness and stamina to govern . It’s truly difficult to try to watch him talk and it’s a clear decline since the election . His video chat with Putin was edited to a few sound bites and he still sounded drunk . A televised address on coronavirus was abruptly cut mid broadcast by the WH. He is being shielded from the press unlike any before , has a written list of reporters to call on and can barely put a sentence together without losing his train of though . I do not trust this man to be the commander in chief of the military any more than the last guy who set him up for strategic failure . Russia has 175 k troops on the border with Ukraine . China has the largest Navy in the world and their Hypersonic missile program is the most advanced in the world and they tested a hypersonic missile that orbits the earth then glides to its targets , impossible to intercept . The missile also discharged a secondary projectile while traveling thousands of miles per hour , challenging the laws of physics . Long and short it’s the most dangerous time in the history of the planet . As sure of himself as Biden is domestic policy wise he is extremely weak and indecisive and mostly just weak as Afghanistan proved anything . I don’t think he’s mentally right . Kamala doesn’t seem to be very substantial gravitas wise but at least she can talk and stay awake when talking to foreign leaders on TV. 25th amendment . If he were a pilot he’d be grounded /

To hell with the VP. I'd vote for Liz Cheney for POTUS in a heartbeat.

Most of the time, I don't worry about Biden's mental acuity as being a problem. He doesn't have to make snap judgements and his aides can keep him from going off the rails too much for 95% of the decisions he's called on to make. But I do worry about it when he goes into negotiations with other world leaders, especially our adversaries like the Russians and Chinese. Fortunately I don't think either one of them will push us to the point of war as they have more to lose than they do to gain, but I agree that Biden's mental condition is a concern. But on the other hand, he's still way better to have him in situations like he's facing than Trump.

As far as his popularity increase, it was inevitable that it would turn around at some point, but I don't see it approaching 50% until he's able to put the pandemic behind him. Whether it's fair or not, he owns it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:58 am

The look in Vlad Putin's eyes in that short film clip is chilling, like hes sizing up a feeble opponent and waiting to pounce. The last guy was worse, actually praising Putin
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:30 am

RiverDog wrote:I agree that it's an easy leap to take, but a much easier one for a liberal than for a conservative, but I do think that the majority of his moronic statements are not by accident. Trump doesn't have the work ethic to force him to keep his mind fresh, doesn't read books or news articles. That's why they quit giving him security briefings, because he'd take one look at it and toss it into the garbage can. The result is that he doesn't have a command of basic facts. His geography lessons are truly laughable, like putting Paris in Germany, the Mexican border in Colorado, and telling the PM of India that they don't have a border with China.

I've noticed in life that some people take pride in being ignorant, even while claiming they are knowledgeable. He is the poster boy for that kind of person. Any news is good news to him, unless it's an unflattering photo.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:48 am

RiverDog wrote:I agree that it's an easy leap to take, but a much easier one for a liberal than for a conservative, but I do think that the majority of his moronic statements are not by accident. Trump doesn't have the work ethic to force him to keep his mind fresh, doesn't read books or news articles. That's why they quit giving him security briefings, because he'd take one look at it and toss it into the garbage can. The result is that he doesn't have a command of basic facts. His geography lessons are truly laughable, like putting Paris in Germany, the Mexican border in Colorado, and telling the PM of India that they don't have a border with China.

I-5 wrote:I've noticed in life that some people take pride in being ignorant, even while claiming they are knowledgeable. He is the poster boy for that kind of person. Any news is good news to him, unless it's an unflattering photo.

I do know some women that like to play the dumb blonde as they think it makes them sexier, but I've never met a man that displays those qualities.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:02 pm

RiverDog wrote:I do know some women that like to play the dumb blonde as they think it makes them sexier, but I've never met a man that displays those qualities.

Believe me, it exists. I lived in a fraternity for 4 years, and saw too many examples of men (ok not fully grown men yet) behaving exactly like that. Dumb jock is one of the personnas, but it's not limited to that either. Luckily, most of the examples I saw were part of other houses that I observed. I've even seen it with a few clients of ours once I started in the business world. There's plenty of mini-Trumps or Trump wannabes out there. He's just the biggest example.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:22 pm

RiverDog wrote:I do know some women that like to play the dumb blonde as they think it makes them sexier, but I've never met a man that displays those qualities.

I-5 wrote:Believe me, it exists. I lived in a fraternity for 4 years, and saw too many examples of men (ok not fully grown men yet) behaving exactly like that. Dumb jock is one of the personnas, but it's not limited to that either. Luckily, most of the examples I saw were part of other houses that I observed. I've even seen it with a few clients of ours once I started in the business world. There's plenty of mini-Trumps or Trump wannabes out there. He's just the biggest example.

I'll take your word for it that it does exist, but I don't think that explains Trump. IMO he's used to saying things and not having anyone tell him that he's wrong, so why bother with making sure what he says is accurate? He goes into speeches, interviews, and debates without having prepared and just wings it, says the first thing that comes to his mind. I also think that age has affected him even more so that Biden.

They say that in order for older people to keep their minds sharp that they should do stuff like crossword puzzles, word jumbles, and Sudoku games. I get the impression that Trump doesn't even read the comics.
RiverDog
Legacy

Anti-intellectualism

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:30 pm

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

I'm actually shocked you're not aware/haven't encountered it Riv. One of my favorite authors, Isaac Asimov said that back in 1980. It's gotten much worse recently and "Fake News" and "alternate facts" were born of it.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Anti-intellectualism

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:04 pm

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

c_hawkbob wrote:I'm actually shocked you're not aware/haven't encountered it Riv. One of my favorite authors, Isaac Asimov said that back in 1980. It's gotten much worse recently and "Fake News" and "alternate facts" were born of it.

Call me naive, I guess. Just being truthful. Outside of the dumb blonde that acts stupid to increase her sex appeal, I've never seen anyone intentionally behaving in a manner to make people think that they're ignorant, and I don't think what you and I-5 are describing is what has led to Trump's buffoonery.

Do you disagree with my take on Trump, that he's a spoiled rich kid that hasn't exercised his mind since he left school by reading or working out of problems, that hasn't held a job or had to rationalize his actions to a boss, that hasn't had to read the directions and assemble a bicycle for his son, that has led to his many factual blunders?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Trump has been a buffoon his entire adult life, we just had the luxury of ignoring it until he became the leader of the free world. So yes, in a way, a collection of buffoons helped elect a buffoon into office. I'm not saying all his supporters are that, but it's not an insignificant amount. His entire schtick while he was in office was to pretend he was smart, and say the dumbest things...I don't even know where to start, but I guess injecting bleach to fight covid would be an example of that.

I'm sure there are dumb blondes (and brunettes) who act stupid to get what they want - but often it's because that's the only way to get along with men who can't see them as anything more. Reminds me of the famous actress Hedy Lamarr, who was married to a munitions expert, and had learned a lot about weapons systems. I'm sure you know the story - she tried unsuccessfully to get the US Navy to use her patented frequency hopping technology (which later was used in developing wireless communications). But in her day, she was just another Hollywood bombshell, so after her rejection by the Navy, her studio advised her that the best she could do for her new country was to help sell war bonds - which being a patriot, she did exactly that. Eventually, the Navy finally listened and started using her jamming technology on their ships.
I-5
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:30 pm

I-5 wrote:Trump has been a buffoon his entire adult life, we just had the luxury of ignoring it until he became the leader of the free world. So yes, in a way, a collection of buffoons helped elect a buffoon into office. I'm not saying all his supporters are that, but it's not an insignificant amount.

I seldom share my own views on Mr. Trump. His election wasn't the first involving wealthy business men with no real political backgrounds...but this time it struck a chord with a majority of the public willing to take on support for a non-politician candidate. Politics on both sides has been strident and full of acid cynicism. Conventional means of supporting your favorite politician used to favor strong governors or newer members of Congress who have no strong political stances that you could Fact Check his/her demonstrated views on important topics. Demeaning the "hated supporters/loons" of a candidate one doesn't like is seldom successful and may lead to history repeating itself "against all odds".
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:36 am

I-5 wrote:Trump has been a buffoon his entire adult life, we just had the luxury of ignoring it until he became the leader of the free world. So yes, in a way, a collection of buffoons helped elect a buffoon into office. I'm not saying all his supporters are that, but it's not an insignificant amount. His entire schtick while he was in office was to pretend he was smart, and say the dumbest things...I don't even know where to start, but I guess injecting bleach to fight covid would be an example of that.

Prior to 2016, I never paid much attention to Donald Trump. But I have seen his types before, the spoiled rich kid that never had to work for a living, that girls went after simply because of their money, always got what they wanted. I have to believe that at least part of his 'act' is due to not having had to exercise his mind.

I-5 wrote:I'm sure there are dumb blondes (and brunettes) who act stupid to get what they want - but often it's because that's the only way to get along with men who can't see them as anything more. Reminds me of the famous actress Hedy Lamarr, who was married to a munitions expert, and had learned a lot about weapons systems. I'm sure you know the story - she tried unsuccessfully to get the US Navy to use her patented frequency hopping technology (which later was used in developing wireless communications). But in her day, she was just another Hollywood bombshell, so after her rejection by the Navy, her studio advised her that the best she could do for her new country was to help sell war bonds - which being a patriot, she did exactly that. Eventually, the Navy finally listened and started using her jamming technology on their ships.

Like everything else, the motivation for the "dumb blonde", the term likely originating with Marylin Monroe, the motivation varies from person to person. For sure, there were those that felt they had to adapt to men's preconceived ideas of them, but there were, and are, others that willingly take full advantage of us men's libidos to achieve their goals and aren't ashamed to do it. Sexism often cuts both ways.

I hadn't heard about Hedy Lamarr, but the story sounds interesting, similar to another one that I've read about. PBS's "American Experience" has a really good episode entitled "The Codebreaker":

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperi ... debreaker/

There's also the story about Poppy Northcutt, the only female flight controller during NASA's Apollo program:

https://www.intercommedia.org/poppy-northcutt/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:52 am

tarlhawk wrote:I seldom share my own views on Mr. Trump. His election wasn't the first involving wealthy business men with no real political backgrounds...but this time it struck a chord with a majority of the public willing to take on support for a non-politician candidate. Politics on both sides has been strident and full of acid cynicism. Conventional means of supporting your favorite politician used to favor strong governors or newer members of Congress who have no strong political stances that you could Fact Check his/her demonstrated views on important topics. Demeaning the "hated supporters/loons" of a candidate one doesn't like is seldom successful and may lead to history repeating itself "against all odds".

In the modern era, ie 20th-21st centuries, Donald Trump was the first POTUS that had never served in an elective office.... well, I suppose that's not quite true as Ike had never been elected, either, although he had extensive experience in the military and government. JFK, the POTUS I'm sure you're thinking of, although from one of the wealthiest families in the country if not the world, served in the Navy and was elected both as a US Representative and Senator before becoming POTUS. The two Roosevelts were also from wealthy families, but they both were NY Governors and served as Secretary of the Navy in previous administrations. Teddy was also elected VP. Harry Truman was perhaps the least experienced, but he was also one of the poorest, and was a failure in nearly every business venture he undertook.

My grandfather, a staunch Republican, used to say of Truman that all he was nothing but "a pimp for Pendergast, and he wasn't even a pimp, all he did was collect money from the whorehouses." Grandpa also claimed that Roosevelt didn't have polio, he had the clap. So I guess conspiracy theories didn't start with Hillary and Trump.

The rest of them, Taft, Wilson, Harding. Coolidge, Hoover, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, both Bushes, Clinton, and Obama..all had rather extensive political experience.

But I do agree with the tone of your comments, how fractured our society is, the trash talking, demeaning of others, etc seems to have become the norm, not only in politics but in our society itself.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:59 am

Cheeto lowered the discourse in america faster and further in 4 years than every president before in 250. From “ McCain isn’t a war hero because he got captured . I like the ones that didn’t get captured “ It’s when I knew I could not ever support anyone that evil, psychotic , soulless . 5 years later awash in a pandemic he botched seemingly intentionally . 2 impeachment’s , every enemy stronger and every ally weaker . 4.3 trillion added to the debt before the pandemic! Then refusing to concede leading to Jan 6 which Trump js 110% responsible and numerous federal judges have said so in sentencing his goons who did his bidding . And after that I said surely my friends get this . Right ? But oh no 60 million people believe he was swindled . Only 10% of self identified Trump voters who get their propaganda from Faux news believe Biden won . They support Jan 6 fully. Oh and they don’t take vaccines either which is part of Trumps intentional lies to
Americans , huge maskless rallies full of people who were willing to die fir this grifter , this psychotic insecure unstable lunatic . Trump can’t blame being born of wealth and power . So was McCain . Bob Mueller . Trump is a POS of a human being and he would be no different no matter this station in life . He would just get his teeth rapped down his throat without his security . That’s what happens to fake bullies .
Evil . I can’t imagine him as president again .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:15 am

Hawktawk wrote:Cheeto lowered the discourse in america faster and further in 4 years than every president before in 250. From “ McCain isn’t a war hero because he got captured . I like the ones that didn’t get captured “ It’s when I knew I could not ever support anyone that evil, psychotic , soulless . 5 years later awash in a pandemic he botched seemingly intentionally . 2 impeachment’s , every enemy stronger and every ally weaker . 4.3 trillion added to the debt before the pandemic! Then refusing to concede leading to Jan 6 which Trump js 110% responsible and numerous federal judges have said so in sentencing his goons who did his bidding . And after that I said surely my friends get this . Right ? But oh no 60 million people believe he was swindled . Only 10% of self identified Trump voters who get their propaganda from Faux news believe Biden won . They support Jan 6 fully. Oh and they don’t take vaccines either which is part of Trumps intentional lies to
Americans , huge maskless rallies full of people who were willing to die fir this grifter , this psychotic insecure unstable lunatic . Trump can’t blame being born of wealth and power . So was McCain . Bob Mueller . Trump is a POS of a human being and he would be no different no matter this station in life . He would just get his teeth rapped down his throat without his security . That’s what happens to fake bullies .
Evil . I can’t imagine him as president again .

I won't comment too harshly out of respect for your expressed opinions elsewhere...but your post is full of emotional vitriol and emotions aren't the best indicator of thoughtful reasoning. Very true about the off-handed remark concerning McCain (bless his soul) ...perhaps a reflection of utilizing twitter/social media rather than using presidential decorum.

I don't think Biden "stole the election" but I don't scoff at it being so impossible. Some of our most secure data sites have been hacked so a voting machine is not out of the realm of possibilities and the ability to trace such a manipulation is far from fail safe. The extensive use of mail-in ballots is not a proven secure method either which is why it used to be only allowed for out-of-country citizens(military/gov't mainly) to preserve their right to vote.

As for Mr. Trumps handling of a pandemic crisis he enacted "war-time" protocols to repurpose some of our industry shift to manufacture covid specific needs especially ventilators and challenged the science response via vaccines to speed the approval process by utilizing a parallel path in production/testing. Mr. Biden is commended for his rapid distribution of such assets and vaccines. Both impeachments failures are not reflective of "escapes" but more indicative of the seriousness needed to make such an accusation. Mr. Clinton's impeachment wasn't about the media focused "illicit affair of a sitting president" but on the more serious charge of being caught lying during testimony before a Grand Jury.

As for our enemies becoming stronger and our allies weaker? The true result is from a U.S. policy stringing back over many recent presidencies that benefitted China with a very strong trade imbalance that would take an act of war to totally correct...so he tried to weaken it by bringing it to light and shadow jousting with China diplomatically. Our allies were "weakened" by taking a bulk of their "US social welfare" away. Anytime when people have been given the luxury of having someone else pay a financial burden whose responsiblity should be shared...is going to lead to complaints.

You referenced debt added prior to the pandemic's arrival...how much was Interest payments on debt already accumulated? How much was the result of his own actual programs/expenses? Comparison to Mr. Obama's own contributions? You are aware the actual funding for his healthcare agenda was not being funded until well after Mr. Obama had left office? He gets the credit of implementing it but shifted the funding of it as a burden to those presidents coming after him.
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:38 pm

tarlhawk wrote:I won't comment too harshly out of respect for your expressed opinions elsewhere...but your post is full of emotional vitriol and emotions aren't the best indicator of thoughtful reasoning. Very true about the off-handed remark concerning McCain (bless his soul) ...perhaps a reflection of utilizing twitter/social media rather than using presidential decorum.

I don't think Biden "stole the election" but I don't scoff at it being so impossible. Some of our most secure data sites have been hacked so a voting machine is not out of the realm of possibilities and the ability to trace such a manipulation is far from fail safe. The extensive use of mail-in ballots is not a proven secure method either which is why it used to be only allowed for out-of-country citizens(military/gov't mainly) to preserve their right to vote.

As for Mr. Trumps handling of a pandemic crisis he enacted "war-time" protocols to repurpose some of our industry shift to manufacture covid specific needs especially ventilators and challenged the science response via vaccines to speed the approval process by utilizing a parallel path in production/testing. Mr. Biden is commended for his rapid distribution of such assets and vaccines. Both impeachments failures are not reflective of "escapes" but more indicative of the seriousness needed to make such an accusation. Mr. Clinton's impeachment wasn't about the media focused "illicit affair of a sitting president" but on the more serious charge of being caught lying during testimony before a Grand Jury.

As for our enemies becoming stronger and our allies weaker? The true result is from a U.S. policy stringing back over many recent presidencies that benefitted China with a very strong trade imbalance that would take an act of war to totally correct...so he tried to weaken it by bringing it to light and shadow jousting with China diplomatically. Our allies were "weakened" by taking a bulk of their "US social welfare" away. Anytime when people have been given the luxury of having someone else pay a financial burden whose responsiblity should be shared...is going to lead to complaints.

You referenced debt added prior to the pandemic's arrival...how much was Interest payments on debt already accumulated? How much was the result of his own actual programs/expenses? Comparison to Mr. Obama's own contributions? You are aware the actual funding for his healthcare agenda was not being funded until well after Mr. Obama had left office? He gets the credit of implementing it but shifted the funding of it as a burden to those presidents coming after him.

Thanks for dipping your toe in here. It's refreshing to have some new thoughts interjected into the discussion. Hawktalk does go over the top with his superlatives, but if you can manage to get past all the caustic rhetoric, he usually has some pretty good points to make.

I'm anti Trump almost exclusively due to his personality, and his attacks on John McCain, a true hero and patriot, is just one example of a deeply flawed man. He's a textbook narcissist, a racist, a sexist, he's corrupt, his work ethic sucks, and he's a moron. He ran his administration almost like a don runs his 'family'. He's not what the leader of the free world should be.

I give Trump credit for the vaccine development, their "Operation Warp Speed", covering the production costs so they could start producing the vaccine before the trials were completed, cutting many months off the actual delivery. But as I recall, he didn't activate the defense production act for weeks, and did so only after everyone and their dog was begging him to. He was horrible as a salesman and role model, taking the vaccine in secret, failing to wear a mask and mocking Biden for wearing them, hosting super spreader events. His actions/inactions cost this country many thousands of lives.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:39 pm

Your points for disliking Mr. Trumps character/demeanor is spot on...narcissism is a strong by-product of wealth and power sadly and his responses paled in presidential decorum. I really think Mr. Trump was just as surprised at winning the white house. He is a wealthy man who doesn't shrink from enjoying the limelight so he had name recognition...no political background...and the wealth to reach the results. He was not a true Republican but his "business acumen" allowed him to realize that instead of running as a doomed 3rd party...he would get better opportunity running as a Republican.

As far as being delayed/prompted to implementing wartime production...it happened and lives were saved because of it. The deaths attributed to his responsibility as our president are numbered by tragic deaths...the number saved? ...unable to attribute real numbers to vaccine streamlining or wartime production act use. A president bears the burden of losing citizens/saving others equally... which is why entering a war that puts troops on the ground or quickly removing them should never be done hastily.
tarlhawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Off Topic