Ukraine

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Ukraine

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:58 am

Not even a fun subject . But Putin intends to invade Ukraine and Biden’s incredible gaffe about a minor incursion in his press conference made it more likely . I’m not sure what a takeover of Ukraine might mean but I feel the threat of all out war is there. I don’t want to hear from the Trump crowd either because he blessed the takeover of Crimea and did not do anything to contain putin in 4 years either . But we look very weak right now . We have begun warning our Americans in the country to leave , basically admitting Russia is gonna take the county .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: Ukraine

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:32 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Not even a fun subject . But Putin intends to invade Ukraine and Biden’s incredible gaffe about a minor incursion in his press conference made it more likely . I’m not sure what a takeover of Ukraine might mean but I feel the threat of all out war is there. I don’t want to hear from the Trump crowd either because he blessed the takeover of Crimea and did not do anything to contain putin in 4 years either . But we look very weak right now . We have begun warning our Americans in the country to leave , basically admitting Russia is gonna take the county .

Warning Americans to leave a country that is facing the threat of war is standard operating procedure. It's a precaution to help guard against an enemy grabbing them and using them as hostages. It also takes the US off the hook, so to speak, of the possibility of collateral casualties should we have to use military force as we can tell people that we told them to get out of harm's way but they ignored the warnings. It also serves as a shot across the bow, a little bit of saber rattling, to an enemy by demonstrating to them that we're preparing for the possibility of military action.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:35 pm

Putin does seem to be wanting to show his power by taking Ukraine and making it sound like we forced his hand because we're interfering in what he considers a security threat to his nation. He does not want the Ukraine to become part of NATO since they are the biggest neighbor to Russia with a lot of assets.

We could go to war over Ukraine. A guy I work with who keeps up to date with that region thinks Turkey will help Ukraine. I don't think Turkey has the power to stand up to Russia myself, but he thinks they could cause Russia real issues.

It will be interesting to see what a Democratic president does to check Russia. At this point I'd much rather have a Bush or a Reagan in the White House for dealing with Russia. But we don't we don't produce those types of presidents any longer it seems. Just clown reality TV show presidents and old centrist Democrats who couldn't win the White House themselves if not for the clown reality TV show president being so bad, and even then barely. The era of strong American presidents who made other nations look at us with trepidation are gone. Those days ended with Bush Sr. as the weak foreign policy president that was Bill Clinton ushered in the age of Democrats who aren't good at making war and it seems to have trickled over to both parties at this point. Bush Jr. had good advisers, but I don't think he himself was very good at managing foreign policy.

I think if a Bush Sr. were in the White House, Putin would not be so ready to invade to Ukraine. That is how long it has been since we've had a president that was feared by leaders like we have in China and Russia.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:19 am

It’s a time bomb . Hopefully Putin reconsiders .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:17 am

There's now a concern that the Russians will create a false pretense for an invasion of Ukraine, perhaps a fake video of Ukrainians attacking Russian troops on Russian soil. Something is bound to happen. It's hard to believe they'd be massing that much of their military only to pull them back.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:21 am

We are being played and are governed by nitwits. God help our nation……
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:07 pm

curmudgeon wrote:We are being played and are governed by nitwits. God help our nation……

Nobody in power has tried to hold Putin accountable at all in quite a while . Biden’s dreadful withdrawal from Afghanistan created a sense of weakness but he was put in a box by the previous guy . Trump never criticized Putin one time in 4 years , quite the opposite . Obama lost Crimea . And Putin is crazy enough and has such a grip on his citizens due to state run media it’s hard to say where it ends . NATO better prepare for anything
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:53 pm

curmudgeon wrote:We are being played and are governed by nitwits. God help our nation……

We been getting played for years. We were getting played by Trump and a bunch of fools think he was some kind of savior while he's making more money than any president in history post-presidency.

They didn't do anything when Putin took Crimea. They won't do anything if he takes Ukraine.

Germany even after the sanctions was still buying oil from Russia. While all the Western Nations were pretending they were angry.

You watched Saudi Arabia murder a guy in the Turkish Embassy, some minor griping, then nothing because they help us maintain the dollar as the reserve currency for oil.

You been asleep all these years that you are just not realizing we are being played? You were played by Trump if you voted for him and you'll be played again and there is zero you can do about it. You ain't part of the power in this world. It don't matter what party or person you vote for, the game is built a certain way and has been for years. And as long as the powerful are making money building it that way, it isn't changing. And you ain't got the juice to challenge them anyway.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:47 am

Getting ugly . I remember a debate in 2012 between Romney and Obama . They were asked who America’s greatest geopolitical foe was . Romney said “ Russia “. Obama laughed and said “ the 80s just called and they want their foreign policy back .” It drew some laughter and Obama was re-elected . Those comments have not aged well. What a different world it would be had Romney served 8 years .

I believe Putin has placed the planet in extreme peril and there is no telling what he might do . He conducted nuclear exercises yesterday launching multiple types of missiles from sea and land . If the unthinkable happens Russia is prepared . We are not at all. I better just turn off the TV because this one is creeping me out .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:25 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Getting ugly . I remember a debate in 2012 between Romney and Obama . They were asked who America’s greatest geopolitical foe was . Romney said “ Russia “. Obama laughed and said “ the 80s just called and they want their foreign policy back .” It drew some laughter and Obama was re-elected . Those comments have not aged well. What a different world it would be had Romney served 8 years .

I believe Putin has placed the planet in extreme peril and there is no telling what he might do . He conducted nuclear exercises yesterday launching multiple types of missiles from sea and land . If the unthinkable happens Russia is prepared . We are not at all. I better just turn off the TV because this one is creeping me out .

We have so many geopolitical threats, that Russia is but currently the loudest.

America doesn't have good foreign policy leadership any longer. It hasn't since Bush Sr. was in the White House.

You think Biden or someone like Pelosi or AOC can handle men like Putin or Xi? Not happening. You need a man like Bush Sr. to look across the sea who knows how to fight a war if need be. Putin and Xi look across at Clinton, Obama, Biden, Trump, and they laugh. They know that group of clowns couldn't beat them in a fight.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:30 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:We have so many geopolitical threats, that Russia is but currently the loudest.

America doesn't have good foreign policy leadership any longer. It hasn't since Bush Sr. was in the White House.

You think Biden or someone like Pelosi or AOC can handle men like Putin or Xi? Not happening. You need a man like Bush Sr. to look across the sea who knows how to fight a war if need be. Putin and Xi look across at Clinton, Obama, Biden, Trump, and they laugh. They know that group of clowns couldn't beat them in a fight.

Bush 41 was OK, but in a situation like this, the man we really need is Reagan. He could stare his opponent straight in the eye and tell them "Go ahead: Make my day!" This is a poker game, and we haven't had a POTUS that played it well since the Gipper.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:57 am

RiverDog wrote:]We have so many geopolitical threats, that Russia is but currently the loudest.

Bush 41 was OK, but in a situation like this, the man we really need is Reagan. He could stare his opponent straight in the eye and tell them "Go ahead: Make my day!" This is a poker game, and we haven't had a POTUS that played it well since the Gipper.

I completely agree. For one thing Reagan understood the need to be prepared and invested in the military very heavily, particularly futuristic technology and "star wars" which has led to the missile interceptor such as patriots. He built a ground army technology wise that is the best on the planet man for man. Russia cant handle it as our slaughter of Russian backed and equipped mercenaries in Syria showed. But we are far behind Russia and China with Hypersonic technology which evaded missile defenses and threatens our warships including our carriers which are our projection of power worldwide. Their nuclear arsenal is larger than ours, more modern, their Subs are quieter. These are things that can't be corrected overnight. Its a perilous time. The last guy couldn't get his lips off Putin's ...basically said it was fine they took Crimea. This guy cant stay awake in the middle of a sentence. He said the other day he "doesn't think Putin will use Nukes". :shock: :shock: Even if that's what you think you dont talk about it. Maybe Biden 10 years ago would be up for this but wow. Its Harris overseas which is probably good. I'm all for the 25th amendment just like last guy, just a different reason. I though the last guy might be up snorting adderall and dial the red phone but Im pretty certain this guy will sleep through the call if it comes...
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:50 am

Star Wars is a good example. Hardly anyone, either in the scientific community or the military, felt that it was a viable plan, that Reagan was way ahead of himself, that he was essentially dreaming, that he was reading too many comic books. It was Reagan the romantic, believing that America could do anything that it put its mind to. After all, we put a man on the moon, so why couldn't we orbit a defense system that would shoot ballistic missiles out of the sky?

But the Soviets believed that we could do it, and it scared the beejezus out of them to the point that they offered to give up their entire nuclear arsenal if we'd give up Star Wars.

Democrats are not good when it comes to playing poker and thus are not good wartime Presidents. They are too intellectual.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:43 pm

RiverDog wrote:Bush 41 was OK, but in a situation like this, the man we really need is Reagan. He could stare his opponent straight in the eye and tell them "Go ahead: Make my day!" This is a poker game, and we haven't had a POTUS that played it well since the Gipper.

Well, I believe Bush Sr. is why Reagan could do that. Bush Sr. ran the Reagan White House. He was the power in that relationship. He is the one people really feared. They knew Bush Sr. knew how to pull together an international alliance and fight a war on a global level.

It has become obvious over time and reading on these figures that Reagan was the face man and Bush Sr. intended to run the country for 16 years.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:10 pm

Interesting perspective on HWB. I hadn’t heard that take before
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:37 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Interesting perspective on HWB. I hadn’t heard that take before

Read up on Bush Sr. and the Bush family. They are every bit on par with the Kennedys. Very powerful and wealthy family. Bush Sr. was deeply imbedded in the circles of power in America and the world.

I used to think Bush Sr. was like most VPs, some guy that was safe and palatable. Bush Sr. was one of the most powerful and influential VPs in history. He was deeply involved in power circles prior to becoming VP. People who worked with him served in his son's administration and he served in administrations as far back as Nixon as well as having Ford considering him so astute at foreign affairs he put him in charge of the C.I.A. for a year. Bush Sr. was respected by both parties. He could pull a lot of strings.

Reagan dealt with a much weaker leader than Vladimir Putin when he was president. Gorbachev wasn't a war leader whereas Putin is. Putin would not have found some incredible speaker like Reagan to go against or some lying salesman like Trump or some career politician like Biden. Putin would have squared off against someone every bit as strong as him, war-tested, and deeply aware of how the intelligence and military networks work. Bush Sr. was respected worldwide. Bush Sr. was one of the most powerful politicians since the 60s up to the 2000s. It was only age that took him down.

You want some like that looking across at men like Putin and Xi. An American who has fought wars himself, knows how they work, and won't break to the public. I truly believe Bush Jr. held up as well as he did with all the criticism over Iraq and Afghanistan because his father taught him have to steel yourself in war and finish the job regardless of what the public thinks. Once engaged, you don't lose or your enemies will consider you weak.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:09 am

They've been telling us that the Russians are poised to strike and that war could break out at any moment for well over a month. This thread was started back on Jan. 22nd, and here we sit on Feb. 21st, over 4 weeks displaced from its genesis. There's been a lot of saber rattling and tough talk, but so far nothing more than a lot of posturing and finger pointing. Is it possible that Putin is doing this just to extract some concessions out of the west, get some of what he wants without firing a shot?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:37 am

He’s making demands such as a commitment that Ukraine will never join NATO. Also a rollback of NATO troops in former eastern Bloc nations . All these things are non starters for NATO . They have 30 k troops in Belarus who seems to be sympathize . U.K. is pouring armored divisions into Estonia . Boris Johnson is warning of a catastrophic war spreading throughout Europe .state run Russian media is 100% disinformation.

My concern remains a nuclear Pearl Harbor targeting the United States . We are a sitting duck with no
Preparation. Subs sitting in pens. iCBMs from the 80s . Their subs are at sea and they surfaced 3 in the Arctic through the Ice which they have never done . They snoop around undersea communications cables .Putin has done things like mass emergency drills involving as many as 40 million people . Within the last few weeks they appeared to be practicing mass burials using D 9 sized bulldozers . Putin regularly flies around in what is called a doomsday plane . I truly hope it’s all a ruse . At a minimum I could see him using the threat nuclear attack as a blackmail .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:10 pm

Hawktawk wrote:He’s making demands such as a commitment that Ukraine will never join NATO. Also a rollback of NATO troops in former eastern Bloc nations . All these things are non starters for NATO . They have 30 k troops in Belarus who seems to be sympathize . U.K. is pouring armored divisions into Estonia . Boris Johnson is warning of a catastrophic war spreading throughout Europe .state run Russian media is 100% disinformation.

My concern remains a nuclear Pearl Harbor targeting the United States . We are a sitting duck with no
Preparation. Subs sitting in pens. iCBMs from the 80s . Their subs are at sea and they surfaced 3 in the Arctic through the Ice which they have never done . They snoop around undersea communications cables .Putin has done things like mass emergency drills involving as many as 40 million people . Within the last few weeks they appeared to be practicing mass burials using D 9 sized bulldozers . Putin regularly flies around in what is called a doomsday plane . I truly hope it’s all a ruse . At a minimum I could see him using the threat nuclear attack as a blackmail .

A nuclear Pearl Harbor? If that's how you feel, how can you manage to sleep at night with that kind of weight on your mind?

It's a serious crisis, but not nearly as bad as some of those we've faced in recent history.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:21 pm

RiverDog wrote:They've been telling us that the Russians are poised to strike and that war could break out at any moment for well over a month. This thread was started back on Jan. 22nd, and here we sit on Feb. 21st, over 4 weeks displaced from its genesis. There's been a lot of saber rattling and tough talk, but so far nothing more than a lot of posturing and finger pointing. Is it possible that Putin is doing this just to extract some concessions out of the west, get some of what he wants without firing a shot?

Putin is not a saber rattler. Last time he built up to take something, he took Crimea. He didn't care about sanctions. Russia still holds Crimea. He is going to take parts of Ukraine. Not Ukraine entire, but likely parts of Eastern Ukraine that are already pro-Russian. Putin knows how far he can push this and his goal was never to start a war with Ukraine. Just to take off some more of its eastern half, likely a clear land path to Crimea. I'm betting he's waiting for certain pro-Russian forces to establish themselves in certain areas, then he will move.

And all we will do is sanctions again when he takes it. He won't care. Just like when he took Crimea. He's going to carve off pieces of Ukraine for a while.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:46 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Putin is not a saber rattler. Last time he built up to take something, he took Crimea. He didn't care about sanctions. Russia still holds Crimea. He is going to take parts of Ukraine. Not Ukraine entire, but likely parts of Eastern Ukraine that are already pro-Russian. Putin knows how far he can push this and his goal was never to start a war with Ukraine. Just to take off some more of its eastern half, likely a clear land path to Crimea. I'm betting he's waiting for certain pro-Russian forces to establish themselves in certain areas, then he will move.

And all we will do is sanctions again when he takes it. He won't care. Just like when he took Crimea. He's going to carve off pieces of Ukraine for a while.

I'm not so sure. The longer they go without attacking, the more likely it is that they never intended on an invasion. We'll see.

I agree with you about sanctions. They rarely work when applied to a totalitarian regime as their leaders aren't responsible to their people, only to their party. The only time that I can think of where sanctions actually worked was against South Africa back in the 80's, and they a western style democratic society. I don't even think that Biden or any of the pols that apply them think that they'll work, either, but they have to show people that they did something.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:38 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'm not so sure. The longer they go without attacking, the more likely it is that they never intended on an invasion. We'll see.

I agree with you about sanctions. They rarely work when applied to a totalitarian regime as their leaders aren't responsible to their people, only to their party. The only time that I can think of where sanctions actually worked was against South Africa back in the 80's, and they a western style democratic society. I don't even think that Biden or any of the pols that apply them think that they'll work, either, but they have to show people that they did something.

Just ask if there is reason to believe Putin is a saber rattler? After you answer that question, then you'll know clearly Putin is after something and he will not look weak and back down to sanctions or negotiate something. He will get what he wants or he will take it. If no one is going to militarily oppose him, then he won't be stopped.

I see zero reason to see Putin as a saber rattler. Putin is not Kim Jong Un or Iran. Putin is a leader that has proven wiling and able of taking what he wants using military force and flipping the middle finger at the world.

The only thing I know for certain is he doesn't want a full scale war or all of Ukraine. It's going to be like when he took Crimea. It will be taken before a military engagement is necessary and is likely being taken as the Biden and the rest of the world sit back and do nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if most of what Putin wants is already secured by pro-Russian forces in Ukraine.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:07 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'm not so sure. The longer they go without attacking, the more likely it is that they never intended on an invasion. We'll see.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Just ask if there is reason to believe Putin is a saber rattler? After you answer that question, then you'll know clearly Putin is after something and he will not look weak and back down to sanctions or negotiate something. He will get what he wants or he will take it. If no one is going to militarily oppose him, then he won't be stopped.

I see zero reason to see Putin as a saber rattler. Putin is not Kim Jong Un or Iran. Putin is a leader that has proven wiling and able of taking what he wants using military force and flipping the middle finger at the world.

Perhaps saber rattling is a poor choice of terms. I agree completely that he's not like Little Fatty as he doesn't do it to as an ego trip of sorts, to impress both his friends and enemies. Perhaps a poker player would be more fitting, that he's doing this to make the western countries break into a sweat. I think it entirely possible that Putin will negotiate a settlement.

Aseahawkfan wrote:The only thing I know for certain is he doesn't want a full scale war or all of Ukraine. It's going to be like when he took Crimea. It will be taken before a military engagement is necessary and is likely being taken as the Biden and the rest of the world sit back and do nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if most of what Putin wants is already secured by pro-Russian forces in Ukraine.

I agree.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:45 pm

And here we go as the world watches and does nothing as Putin movies into Ukraine. America has weak leaders and no longer scares anyone because we have clowns as presidents now. Reality show real estate salesman and old men who can barely stay awake. Yet the lemmings vote for these people in a world looking at us like we're jokes who can no longer produce leaders worth a damn.

All Xi and Putin see is a world ripe for the taking as America falls dotard.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:20 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:And here we go as the world watches and does nothing as Putin movies into Ukraine. America has weak leaders and no longer scares anyone because we have clowns as presidents now. Reality show real estate salesman and old men who can barely stay awake. Yet the lemmings vote for these people in a world looking at us like we're jokes who can no longer produce leaders worth a damn.

I'm a student of history, and I've read a lot about the Cuban Missile Crisis. A lot of people can't resist heaping tons of praise on John Kennedy, much of which is deserved but a lot of which is totally misguided and misunderstood. The truth is that Khrushchev's initial impression of Kennedy, when they met face-to-face in Vienna with Kennedy nursing a sore back, was that he was weak, a young, American playboy that could be taken to the cleaners. Had someone else been in office, such as Barry Goldwater, who was known as the Mad Bomber and scared the beejezus out of everyone including the Soviets, it's doubtful that the Russians would have even attempted to put missiles in Cuba.

That's why I feel that style matters, why Reagan was as effective as he was in dealing with the Soviets. He looked them straight in the eye and called them the Evil Empire, told them that they were liars and cheats. Geez, I remember how Reagan was taping a radio broadcast and thought he was off air and joked about signing legislation outlawing the USSR and that we were going start bombing in 10 minutes, sending all the libs and Dems into a frenzy, but it was just the sort of thing that scared the Soviets and kept them at bay until they finally imploded. You don't get that out of most politicians nowadays. One of the few things that I did like about Trump is that he was so whacky and maniacal that no one dared challenge him because they couldn't predict what he was going to do or how he would react. But with Biden, everyone knows that he's a wimp, that he'll sacrifice anything and everything rather than throw a punch at an aggressor.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:54 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'm a student of history, and I've read a lot about the Cuban Missile Crisis. A lot of people can't resist heaping tons of praise on John Kennedy, much of which is deserved but a lot of which is totally misguided and misunderstood. The truth is that Khrushchev's initial impression of Kennedy, when they met face-to-face in Vienna with Kennedy nursing a sore back, was that he was weak, a young, American playboy that could be taken to the cleaners. Had someone else been in office, such as Barry Goldwater, who was known as the Mad Bomber and scared the beejezus out of everyone including the Soviets, it's doubtful that the Russians would have even attempted to put missiles in Cuba.

That's why I feel that style matters, why Reagan was as effective as he was in dealing with the Soviets. He looked them straight in the eye and called them the Evil Empire, told them that they were liars and cheats. Geez, I remember how Reagan was taping a radio broadcast and thought he was off air and joked about signing legislation outlawing the USSR and that we were going start bombing in 10 minutes, sending all the libs and Dems into a frenzy, but it was just the sort of thing that scared the Soviets and kept them at bay until they finally imploded. You don't get that out of most politicians nowadays. One of the few things that I did like about Trump is that he was so whacky and maniacal that no one dared challenge him because they couldn't predict what he was going to do or how he would react. But with Biden, everyone knows that he's a wimp, that he'll sacrifice anything and everything rather than throw a punch at an aggressor.

If Trump were in office and he didn't do anything, they would be pulling the Russian Traitor Card they never proved with most of the Trump Haters on this forum holding it up loud and proud. But with Joe Biden in office doing nothing, he just looks like a weak president. Didn't do nothing but leave Afghanistan a bunch of military hardware to use to oppress their people and now doing nothing to stop Putin. I guess he's not a traitor even though the results are the same or worse if he was.

Putin is showing how weak America is right now. Just right in our faces. The world knows Putin doesn't respect or fear Biden or his incompetent VP.

I don't see any of the Trump haters on here talking about how great Biden is and what a bang up job he's doing. At least Trump's supporters actually support him, whereas Biden just has a bunch of listless, uncaring supporters who voted solely for him based on their hatred of Trump. The country doesn't believe in Biden and is just waiting for a better candidate to come along.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:55 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:If Trump were in office and he didn't do anything, they would be pulling the Russian Traitor Card they never proved with most of the Trump Haters on this forum holding it up loud and proud. But with Joe Biden in office doing nothing, he just looks like a weak president. Didn't do nothing but leave Afghanistan a bunch of military hardware to use to oppress their people and now doing nothing to stop Putin. I guess he's not a traitor even though the results are the same or worse if he was.

Putin is showing how weak America is right now. Just right in our faces. The world knows Putin doesn't respect or fear Biden or his incompetent VP.

I don't see any of the Trump haters on here talking about how great Biden is and what a bang up job he's doing. At least Trump's supporters actually support him, whereas Biden just has a bunch of listless, uncaring supporters who voted solely for him based on their hatred of Trump. The country doesn't believe in Biden and is just waiting for a better candidate to come along.

Yeah, you make a good point. With regards to Russia, were we safer with Trump being in Putin's pocket or with Biden's weak kneed approach to him?

That's my biggest problem with Democrats is that their weakness on national defense manifests itself into crisis's like this one. Say what you want about Bush 43, but he did authorize a military response to a crisis, and in doing so, showed that he did have the will to use his military might. All this money we spend on defense isn't worth a dime unless our adversaries are convinced that we'll use it if they go too far.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:19 am

You miss me completely with the "would we have been better off with Trump in Putin's Pocket" nonsense. Trump would be cheering him on, extolling him as being a strong leader and arguing that the newly "annexed" territories were rightfully Russia's anyway.

I'd like to see much stronger sanctions than Biden has reacted with so far and am very disappointed that the action he threatened hasn't come, it should have been instant. Hopefully he's only waiting on todays UN security council meeting to make sure sanctions are a coordinated effort...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:37 am

c_hawkbob wrote:You miss me completely with the "would we have been better off with Trump in Putin's Pocket" nonsense. Trump would be cheering him on, extolling him as being a strong leader and arguing that the newly "annexed" territories were rightfully Russia's anyway.

That's highly debatable. My view is that Putin would do anything to help keep Trump in office and knew that if he put him on the spot, that Trump would be forced to respond in much the same manner as Biden is doing and that it would likely hurt him in the polls. That doesn't mean that I prefer Trump in this crisis over other viable pols like Romney, just that I don't think that Putin would willingly back into a corner someone he viewed as friendly to him. At least in this particular situation, we'd be much better off with any Republican, including Trump, than any Democrat. Whether its an accurate assessment or not, people view the Dems as weak, and that includes our adversaries.

c_hawkbob wrote:I'd like to see much stronger sanctions than Biden has reacted with so far and am very disappointed that the action he threatened hasn't come, it should have been instant. Hopefully he's only waiting on todays UN security council meeting to make sure sanctions are a coordinated effort...

I'm not sure which sanctions you had in mind, but Biden just signed an EO last night that prohibits US investments in the disputed regions of Ukraine.

IMO no sanctions are going to stop him. Sanctions do nothing but give Biden some political cover in that it shows that he's doing something. They do not work against a tyrant like Putin. IMO the only thing that will stop him is if he actually feels he's provoked a military response.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:35 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:And here we go as the world watches and does nothing as Putin movies into Ukraine. America has weak leaders and no longer scares anyone because we have clowns as presidents now. Reality show real estate salesman and old men who can barely stay awake. Yet the lemmings vote for these people in a world looking at us like we're jokes who can no longer produce leaders worth a damn.

This here^ Dont wanna have the argument, dont even want to debate this. But Putin is no saber rattler. And hes had at least 13 years of no checks and balances and as you say we have a doddering fool. One only need look at the eyes of Putin. Hes a cold calculating killer who sees an opportunity to roll back the soviet state at a minimum. I would be shocked at nothing. China is currently deciding which way to go on this which may have some influence. But the planet has never been in greater peril. I really got ripped for calling Putin the most evil man in the world when Trump was acquiescing to his every demand , bowing down. I think everything is on the table for him. His economy is in tatters. The virus has ravaged his country. He is so heavily invested in his military its almost a use it or lose it situation. Hoping for a peaceful resolution but my guess is the world is going to sacrifice Ukraine at gunpoint to appease an evil madman.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:55 pm

Hawktawk wrote:This here^ Dont wanna have the argument, dont even want to debate this. But Putin is no saber rattler. And hes had at least 13 years of no checks and balances and as you say we have a doddering fool. One only need look at the eyes of Putin. Hes a cold calculating killer who sees an opportunity to roll back the soviet state at a minimum. I would be shocked at nothing. China is currently deciding which way to go on this which may have some influence. But the planet has never been in greater peril. I really got ripped for calling Putin the most evil man in the world when Trump was acquiescing to his every demand , bowing down. I think everything is on the table for him. His economy is in tatters. The virus has ravaged his country. He is so heavily invested in his military its almost a use it or lose it situation. Hoping for a peaceful resolution but my guess is the world is going to sacrifice Ukraine at gunpoint to appease an evil madman.

No one cares enough about Ukraine or the places Putin takes to seriously oppose him. If Putin has dirt on Trump, he probably has dirt on Biden given how much Hunter Biden did business in that region. I wouldn't be surprised if we won't get any strong response if we keep electing people who do dirty business in that region of the world.

Big problem will be if China decides to flex and take Taiwan. That will really make America look weak if we don't respond.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:00 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, you make a good point. With regards to Russia, were we safer with Trump being in Putin's pocket or with Biden's weak kneed approach to him?

That's my biggest problem with Democrats is that their weakness on national defense manifests itself into crisis's like this one. Say what you want about Bush 43, but he did authorize a military response to a crisis, and in doing so, showed that he did have the will to use his military might. All this money we spend on defense isn't worth a dime unless our adversaries are convinced that we'll use it if they go too far.

I don't believe Trump is in Putin's pocket myself. I also don't think he would have done much to oppose Putin. He likes Putin and that region of the world. The man has married two wives from the region. He has family in that region. Putin looks like the type of strong leader Trump would like to be, but never will be.

It's why I told you I would prefer a leader like George Bush Sr. George Bush Sr. was every bit as strong a man as Putin. Putin would have had no choice but to respect George Bush Sr. because he would have known he was looking at an equal, not some reality TV salesman or lifetime aged politician or even an actor. We need a war-tested president at this point. The world is getting dangerous. Leaders like Putin and Xi don't respect these career politician or reality TV star BS people we're putting up there. We need someone who can stare across at Putin and Xi and they know that if they push America they will be faced with Angry Lion awake, not asleep or playing with a little ball trying to get the whole world to watch.

We finally have need of a war time president and I don't see a candidate in sight. Xi and Putin know it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:04 pm

Trump is on the air praising Putin’s actions , calling his decision to recognize territories the majority of which are currently controlled by Ukraine “ brilliant “ a few weeks ago he called this a “Europe problem”. When elected he said it was fine Russia took Crimea because lots of its citizens spoke Russian . Don’t go there . Trump feared Putin , still does .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:13 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Trump is on the air praising Putin’s actions , calling his decision to recognize territories the majority of which are currently controlled by Ukraine “ brilliant “ a few weeks ago he called this a “Europe problem”. When elected he said it was fine Russia took Crimea because lots of its citizens spoke Russian . Don’t go there . Trump feared Putin , still does .

We'll see what Trump has to say in 2024 if the idiot Democrats can't stick anything on him to stop him. Bloomberg thinks the Dems are going to get blown out of the water in 2022.

You tell me? How do the Dems look right now? Screwed up the Afghanistan pullout. Inflation at 40 year highs. More interesting in pushing culture war agendas and tearing down America than building it up. Putin just looked across the water at Joe Biden and said in so many words, "You and the Democrats from your Vice President to your House Leader are a bunch of weak men and women who couldn't outfight or outthink me on your best day. I think nothing of you."

So tell me? What's the difference between having a guy like Trump in office, the supposed traitor, and having a guy like Biden in office and his Democrats who do nothing? At least Trump was tough on China and Biden and the Democrats look weak against everyone unless their followers are doing "cancel culture" campaigns against Joe Rogan or anyone who disagrees with their social views race, homosexuality, and transgender views.

If this continues and Trump runs in 2024, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins in a landslide given how weak the Democrats look right now. So who you gonna blame then if Trump makes it back to the White House? The people voting for him or the Dems for being so pathetically weak and inept?

You tell me: Is this the weakest you've ever seen America look in its history? Because near as I can tell Biden looks like an even weaker presidential candidate than Trump, and I can't stand either on of them.

I hope you're praying and praying hard that this country can put forth some kind of decent leader in 2024 that isn't Trump or Biden or Kamala because we need better leadership and we need it bad.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:48 pm

How did we become so weak? It's like all the leadership built up from Reagan's time has been washed from the Republican Party. Now we're this weird sort of Trump conservative populist Democrat pretending to be Republicans. What happened? How did it change to quickly?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:53 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:How did we become so weak? It's like all the leadership built up from Reagan's time has been washed from the Republican Party. Now we're this weird sort of Trump conservative populist Democrat pretending to be Republicans. What happened? How did it change to quickly?

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said these last few posts . Trump has praised Putin as a strong leader , defended him from day one . Add Tucker Carlson on Fox praising Putin , saying Biden is worse with his overblown pandemic and high inflation and unemployment . Yes saw the video . Unreal . This as more US troops go in there .

Biden just looks and sounds terrible , old and tired . Afghanistan has been been his Waterloo and may have sent the signal that he is so risk averse and timid they can do what they want .

Both parties allowed us to fall far behind in the race to nuclear weapons superiority . I read a lot , I’m a speed reader . There is some creepy stuff going on , us and nato allies carrier groups being blocked in the Black Sea by Russian ship killer destroyers . Putin flat out saying he’s going to change the world order which isn’t happening with conventional weapons. He’s specifically threatened to use hypersonic weapons and tested them last weekend . China has weighed in saying Russia has a right to defend itself . They have conducted joint exercises recently which had never happened before .

Hug your family . Live your life as fully as possible . The world is on a hair trigger .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:27 am

Did you see Putin's message? Go home to your families Ukrainian soldiers or die. Can you imagine someone trying this on America?

People wonder why I support the 2nd Amendment. Watch Ukraine. Tell me you would prefer to disarmed when they show up in your country unable to fight back.

Screw that. Any American that isn't a coward should take up what arms they have and prepare to fight to the death to hold our nation and freedom. If a snake like Putin tells us to go home, you tell him to screw himself with a rifle.

World peaceful enough to give up the 2nd Amendment was nothing but a crock by weak Americans with no backbone to be prepared for men like Putin inside and outside the nation.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:57 am

Well, no more saber rattling. Russia has invaded Ukraine:

ASSOCIATED PRESS MOSCOW — Russian troops launched their anticipated attack on Ukraine on Thursday, as President Vladimir Putin cast aside international condemnation and sanctions and warned other countries that any attempt to interfere would lead to “consequences you have never seen.”

I don't care how severe they are, sanctions aren't going to work. They're nothing but political cover for people like Biden to show voters that they're doing something. Unless NATO and Biden are willing to put troops between Russia and Ukraine, Putin will get his way.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:25 am

So what's your solution, we go to war with Russia?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:30 am

River Putin is threatening to use Nukes with those words .I saw a few posts back where you asked how I sleep at night . Restless right now . In prayer. I caught so much crap for going ballistic over Trumps strange relationship , his praise of Putin even killing opponents “ we have lots of killers too” his attacks on nato , his whitewashing of Crimea . And they didn’t start challenging us on Jan 20 of last year . Throughout the Trump adminstration they ramped up air incursions with nuke capable bombers to levels not seen since the Cold War . They have been building Nukes and nuke subs and mobile launch systems that violate international agreements non stop for 20 years and now they have a missile nobody can intercept . Their troop exercises and particularly surfacing 3 subs at once just north of Alaska are like , why are they practicing that with a psychotic ruthless short syndrome madman?.

They might hack our infrastructure . Anything is possible . Im stockpiling some water and canned goods. Propane . Locked and loaded. Hopefully it’s another delusional moment but I’ve felt like I might see the end of the age in my lifetime since I was a kid . It’s a burden . Hopefully we’re laughing about it someday . My plan is to tell everyone in my life how much I love and appreciate them every chance I get and live my life to the fullest . Very dangerous times .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Off Topic