What about you ?

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

What about you ?

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:38 pm

With all the negative bs going on in the world and with our Hawks I thought it might be fun to get to know each other beyond debating sports and politics . It’s easy to form impressions online but I’ve literally been talking to River and CHawk Bob and Sista and others I’m sure for over 2 decades . So I’ll go first . Maybe first and last and in the dead zone :D

I’m 62 , born ass first and blue with an umbilical cord around my neck in Wenatchee . My dad built dams and bridges and I moved constantly . I was very intelligent but a terrible student . My highlight was being part of the 1974 state championship coulee city Rams . We had 8 shutouts in 10 games and gave up 18 points in the regular season winning the championship over the only team that beat us. I bounced around working industrial construction including the interstate 205 bridge where I was a labor foreman at 21. I survived a head on collision on highway 14 that killed the occupants of the other car on dec 30 1981. Rehabbing I did outside sales and briefly attended Bible college considering being a preacher . I fell into golf management in 1982 on a little executive 9 hole in Ephrata not even knowing you had to change the cup placements . 5 courses and 36 years later it’s what I do better then most . I’ve spoken at seminars , invented processes . It’s not been the most financially rewarding but I have 4 of the guys I mentored at their on own courses now . As an adult I’ve had a divorce and a second marriage that’s lasted 30 years . 3 kids , one a son who was the product of an affair my first wife had .I discovered I was bipolar after 51 years of life which helped . I love to sing including kareoki write and play music and have 3 tracks in my catalogue on music row in Nashville waiting for some star to record them . Gold fever , the whiskeys gone and ballad of the prodigal . I love hot cars and have had too many , hot boats and my Hawks . I think a lot of people I spar with on this forum would like me quite a bit in person .
So how about you ?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: What about you

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:46 pm

Wow! Great idea!
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: What about you ?

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:12 am

Occasionally we have a thread like this in the main forum and they’re normally well received. You might want to send a PM to Yoder and ask him to move it so others can participate or simply start a new one over there and we can copy and paste our comments.

I'm 67 years old, retired, worked in the food processing industry as a line supervisor for 40 years. I was born and raised in Walla Walla, graduated from high school in 1973, was in the first ever graduating class at Eastern Washington University (it had been Eastern Washington State College), graduating with a BA in Business Administration (a BA in BA) in the fall of 1977. One of the things I’m most proud of is that I paid for 100% of my college expenses myself, without any assistance from my parents, the government, or scholarships by working during summers, Christmas and spring breaks, with the only major purchase being a used car (a ’65 Chevy Impala). The man that hired me in my first job out of college told me that he was impressed with my achievement of paying my own way more than he was other candidate’s superior GPA’s. I was the first person at the facility I worked at that was hired straight out of college into a management position, which caused a significant amount lot of angst amongst a lot of my subordinates and co-workers. I lived in Moses Lake from 1978-1989, married, had a kid, divorced, and moved to the Tri Cities in November of 1989. I re-married in 2003 and have been happily married ever since.

I've been a Seahawk fan from the get go, saw one of the first ever training camps in 1976 as they held them in Cheney where I was attending college at the time. I shared season tickets with a friend of mine from 1984-1996. The worst decision we ever made was to give them up, but the team sucked, it was 3.5 hours over a mountain pass in November and December to attend games, they forced you to buy 2 preseason games at regular season prices, and worst of all, they had said that they were going to charge us a huge fee to buy a personal seat license if we wanted to keep our tickets. It was before the day of electronic tickets, Ticketmaster/Stub Hub, and the only acceptable barter was the paper ticket. If you couldn't go to the game and couldn't get someone to buy it from you, you were SOL and had to eat it.

My wife and I married in 2003. She has both MS and RA, and although she's in relatively good condition, we don't do a lot of traveling together. However, she acknowledges my desire to travel, so I've been using Seahawk road games as pretense to see other areas of the country. I live in a semi rural area just south of the Tri Cities on a one acre lot that keeps me busy for the greater part of the year. We own a motor home and although I can’t talk my wife into going on any cross country adventures, we’re going somewhere in it every 2 weeks or so.
I have one daughter (that I know of), 35 years old and a charge nurse at an urgent care clinic in Spokane.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:00 am

Nice River . I don’t get involved in asking permission to move a post so I figured it belongs here . Just something to change it up a bit . Have a great Sunday !
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:46 am

Hawktawk wrote:Nice River . I don’t get involved in asking permission to move a post so I figured it belongs here . Just something to change it up a bit . Have a great Sunday !

I've done it before, made a mistake and started a topic in the wrong forum. Yoder was really good about it, said no problem and moved it right away. I'm not sure how often he monitors the threads, but if you send him a PM, he should get it.

Or we could just start a new one.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:41 am

Everybody has access to this forum as well as the main forum. Rather than move this one we have in the past started a post over there with just a link to this thread.

I know all the regulars know me, but for those that don't I'm a 65 year old dad, grandpa and power plant operator living in Kentucky for the past dozen years. Originally from Edmonds & Linnwood. After a stint in the Navy as a submarine mechanic, Nuclear waste (Failed out of Nuke school, sent to the fleet as a conventional machinist mate on Nuke subs). After the Navy lived in the Mountain West (Utah and Colorado) till I moved to KY. Used to be hard core into muscle cars (in chronological order: 67 Charger, 66 Charger, 67 LeMans, 69 RS/SS 396 Camaro, 72 Chevell, 70 Judge, 70 AMX) until I started driving 4x4 trucks to play around in the mountains. Now I have a more streetable 4x4 and family car for the wife.

Started posting on line around 2000 at the PI forum and Seahawks old forum (State of Football). Used to write a lot longer more in depth posts but after a few years of undiagnosed SOSA made it too tough to maintain focus and hindered ready access to information in my head I tend to be more concise and less frequent with my posts. Like friendly bragging rights type contests (three deep, pick'em and survivor). Having lived everywhere but Seattle since 77 I've ony been to one home game but try to take in as many away games I can (driving distance anymore, hate flying), really pissed me off when the Lambs left St Loo, that was an annual must attend away game for me. Some day I'll take a long train trip back up to the PNW and catch a home game.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:59 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Everybody has access to this forum as well as the main forum. Rather than move this one we have in the past started a post over there with just a link to this thread.

I know all the regulars know me, but for those that don't I'm a 65 year old dad, grandpa and power plant operator living in Kentucky for the past dozen years. Originally from Edmonds & Linnwood. After a stint in the Navy as a submarine mechanic, Nuclear waste (Failed out of Nuke school, sent to the fleet as a conventional machinist mate on Nuke subs). After the Navy lived in the Mountain West (Utah and Colorado) till I moved to KY. Used to be hard core into muscle cars (in chronological order: 67 Charger, 66 Charger, 67 LeMans, 69 RS/SS 396 Camaro, 72 Chevell, 70 Judge, 70 AMX) until I started driving 4x4 trucks to play around in the mountains. Now I have a more streetable 4x4 and family car for the wife.

Started posting on line around 2000 at the PI forum and Seahawks old forum (State of Football). Used to write a lot longer more in depth posts but after a few years of undiagnosed SOSA made it too tough to maintain focus and hindered ready access to information in my head I tend to be more concise and less frequent with my posts. Like friendly bragging rights type contests (three deep, pick'em and survivor). Having lived everywhere but Seattle since 77 I've ony been to one home game but try to take in as many away games I can (driving distance anymore, hate flying), really pissed me off when the Lambs left St Loo, that was an annual must attend away game for me. Some day I'll take a long train trip back up to the PNW and catch a home game.

Wow we had a few things in common . Particularly cars . My first was a
67 Lemans I installed a 421 tri power out of a wrecked GTO with a Muncie M22 Rock crusher 4 speed . I wrapped the speedo around to 20 mph , probably 150 . 67 Belvedere GTX 440. 69 super bee ram air 4 speed . 68 and 69 chargers. 70 Chevelle SS 402 4 speed . 70 firebird . 74 Corvette Roadster . The car I almost died in was a 1979 Chrysler 300 based on the Córdoba but 100 % police pursuit vehicle with a 360 police special , dual cats and police suspension . It was quite a cool car and my first new one . The Chrysler safety engineering worked to a tee in my head on . I woke up with a sheared off steering column and an engine that had submarined beneath the floorboard and was sitting beside me under the console . I had amnesia , a severe fracture of my arm and seat belt cuts through 3 layers and a horrible memory of a dead guy laying on what was left of my dash . The troop still could not believe I was alive .
Later in life I’ve owned modern muscle , mostly dodge hemi powered vehicles . Currently my wife owns a 2014 srt grand Cherokee equipped with a supercharged methanol injected 6.4 hemi making 750 hp. It will do 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and 12 flat in the quarter . It’s hers but I get to punch it now and again .
I also hate to fly . Also started on the PI in 2000.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:49 am

Hawktawk wrote:Wow we had a few things in common . Particularly cars . My first was a
67 Lemans I installed a 421 tri power out of a wrecked GTO with a Muncie M22 Rock crusher 4 speed . I wrapped the speedo around to 20 mph , probably 150 . 67 Belvedere GTX 440. 69 super bee ram air 4 speed . 68 and 69 chargers. 70 Chevelle SS 402 4 speed . 70 firebird . 74 Corvette Roadster . The car I almost died in was a 1979 Chrysler 300 based on the Córdoba but 100 % police pursuit vehicle with a 360 police special , dual cats and police suspension . It was quite a cool car and my first new one . The Chrysler safety engineering worked to a tee in my head on . I woke up with a sheared off steering column and an engine that had submarined beneath the floorboard and was sitting beside me under the console . I had amnesia , a severe fracture of my arm and seat belt cuts through 3 layers and a horrible memory of a dead guy laying on what was left of my dash . The troop still could not believe I was alive .
Later in life I’ve owned modern muscle , mostly dodge hemi powered vehicles . Currently my wife owns a 2014 srt grand Cherokee equipped with a supercharged methanol injected 6.4 hemi making 750 hp. It will do 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and 12 flat in the quarter . It’s hers but I get to punch it now and again .
I also hate to fly . Also started on the PI in 2000.

Cool! We'd have fun swapping stories over a beer or three!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:11 am

Love to some day . River and I have threatened to hook up a few times but so far whatsyourprob is the only guy I ever met and had beers with back in the first super bowl season . Interesting but unforgettable part of my Hawks journey .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:56 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Love to some day . River and I have threatened to hook up a few times but so far whatsyourprob is the only guy I ever met and had beers with back in the first super bowl season . Interesting but unforgettable part of my Hawks journey .

I haven't forgotten about my commitment to get up there and visit you sometime. The wife and I sometimes will take a short overnight trip to one of the campgrounds on the lower Snake, and your park isn't that much further away.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:04 pm

RiverDog wrote:
I haven't forgotten about my commitment to get up there and visit you sometime. The wife and I sometimes will take a short overnight trip to one of the campgrounds on the lower Snake, and your park isn't that much further away.

Yes that would be fun I think if we stay off Geno :lol: :lol: :lol: There's tons of options up around legacy for RVs and the greens fees are on me. Fishing, hiking , boating, quite a fun area.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:56 pm

RiverDog wrote:I haven't forgotten about my commitment to get up there and visit you sometime. The wife and I sometimes will take a short overnight trip to one of the campgrounds on the lower Snake, and your park isn't that much further away.

Hawktawk wrote:Yes that would be fun I think if we stay off Geno :lol: :lol: :lol: There's tons of options up around legacy for RVs and the greens fees are on me. Fishing, hiking , boating, quite a fun area.

Stay off Geno? Not a chance! :lol: :lol: It's all in fun, my friend.

I haven't swung a golf club for 3 years, since the summer before the pandemic, and I was never a good golfer to begin with, never having broke 90. But I'm willing to let you take me to the woodshed in a round as payback for all the grief I've given you over Geno!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:42 pm

I am 40 years old. I have been married to my HS sweetheart for 18 years and have 3 kids aged 8-11 (a girl and 2 boys). Football has been an important part of my life since I was young. It gave me an escape from issue that were going on in my home and gave me some great connections with friends as I began to play on school teams. When I was young my family lived in the Hill Top area of Tacoma. One day at school when I was in 5th grade a kid who was a Crip thought I called him a "wanna be" and he threatened to kill me. I didn't think much of it but my parents were worried enough that they moved us out of the city and to a tiny town in SW Washington.

Throughout HS I played many sports but football was my passion. My family was poor so I wanted to go to peruse a career that made a lot of money. After two years of Community College I went to George Fox (awesome experience where I met a great group of friends- we still get together every year for a "Mancation.") to become a lawyer. Mid-way through my Junior year I volunteered at a youth camp and realized my calling- I had to work with kids and try and be a positive influence on their lives, so I switched gears and became a teacher and coach. I have coached many sports at the MS and HS level but Football has always been my focus. I have coached HS FB for almost 20 years and have been the head coach at the HS I teach at for the past 5 years. We've been pretty successful making the State Tournament and placing in the top 5 every year. Also, I'll be coaching for the West side at the All-Stare game in Yakima this June if any of you are going to be around!

My love for the Seahawks can be traced back to my earliest memories. I have not had a great relationship with my dad for many reasons but one connection we always have is the Seahawks. Dave Kreig was my hero growing up and I remember getting in many arguments with my friends growing up defending him. My friends would make fun of me as I repped my Hawks gear through the crappy years and I didn't care. The suffering of the bad seasons made the SB's that much sweater. For a long time I would go to at least one game a year with a buddy of mine. We were at the two NFC Championship games, but I haven't been in the past two years because of COVID stuff.I have passed the love of the Hawks to my kids and in a way it helps me feel like they are in some way connected to my dad- who they have only seen a few times even though he lives in the same town.

As far as other interests: I love the outdoors. Hiking, running, camping, anything that gets me outside. I am involved with Young Life which is a Christian based youth outreach program. Im also pretty involved in my kids sports. I have coached every sport they have played. This past fall was my boys (2nd/3rd grade) first year of tackle football and I would coach HS until about 6:15 and then run over and coach the youth until 8. It was a lot of fun but it made for a long day and didn't leave much time for any other hobbies.

I really don't read other forums besides this one. I started lurking around the old PI forum because there was just a ton of good informational posters there. I could get all of the important Hawks news and analysis I needed without even reading an article! Now I don't post a ton, but I do read most of the posts on the football side of the forum. One reason I don't post is that you guys are pretty much on it and by the time I see something I want to reply to somebody else has already said what I was going to say. I'm also usually using my phone which I hate to post with.

I think it would be awesome to meet up at a Hawks game sometime. Somebody should set that up!!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:56 pm

Hawktawk wrote:With all the negative bs going on in the world and with our Hawks I thought it might be fun to get to know each other beyond debating sports and politics . It’s easy to form impressions online but I’ve literally been talking to River and CHawk Bob and Sista and others I’m sure for over 2 decades . So I’ll go first . Maybe first and last and in the dead zone :D

I’m 62 , born ass first and blue with an umbilical cord around my neck in Wenatchee . My dad built dams and bridges and I moved constantly . I was very intelligent but a terrible student . My highlight was being part of the 1974 state championship coulee city Rams . We had 8 shutouts in 10 games and gave up 18 points in the regular season winning the championship over the only team that beat us. I bounced around working industrial construction including the interstate 205 bridge where I was a labor foreman at 21. I survived a head on collision on highway 14 that killed the occupants of the other car on dec 30 1981. Rehabbing I did outside sales and briefly attended Bible college considering being a preacher . I fell into golf management in 1982 on a little executive 9 hole in Ephrata not even knowing you had to change the cup placements . 5 courses and 36 years later it’s what I do better then most . I’ve spoken at seminars , invented processes . It’s not been the most financially rewarding but I have 4 of the guys I mentored at their on own courses now . As an adult I’ve had a divorce and a second marriage that’s lasted 30 years . 3 kids , one a son who was the product of an affair my first wife had .I discovered I was bipolar after 51 years of life which helped . I love to sing including kareoki write and play music and have 3 tracks in my catalogue on music row in Nashville waiting for some star to record them . Gold fever , the whiskeys gone and ballad of the prodigal . I love hot cars and have had too many , hot boats and my Hawks . I think a lot of people I spar with on this forum would like me quite a bit in person .
So how about you ?

It is awesome that you won a ring! Nice work! I'm still chasing mine. I've been close but haven't sealed the deal yet. Also, my grandpa managed a golf course at JBLM for decades. I remember as kid him taking me out there at night to do maintenance- move sprinklers, change hole locations, stuff like that. As a kid it was cool being out there with my grandpa, but I always that it would be an interesting line of work. Looking at those perfectly manicured greens and fairways is very satisfying!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:06 am

mykc14 wrote:I think it would be awesome to meet up at a Hawks game sometime. Somebody should set that up!!

I'm in! Back in the old PI forum days, we met up a couple of times for a Hawks home game. I sat next to ObS at one game, made a couple of friends that I still see to this day. Maybe we could get Yoder involved in setting something up as him and I once talked about meeting for a game. The schedule comes out shortly after the draft, so once it does, I'll shoot him a PM. Hopefully Covid doesn't raise its ugly head again.

Keep us posted regarding that HS All Star game in Yakima. I have quite a few excursions in our motor home planned for June, but we try to do most of them during the weekdays. It's been close to 20 years since I've seen a HS football game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:47 am

mykc14 wrote:With all the negative bs going on in the world and with our Hawks I thought it might be fun to get to know each other beyond debating sports and politics . It’s easy to form impressions online but I’ve literally been talking to River and CHawk Bob and Sista and others I’m sure for over 2 decades . So I’ll go first . Maybe first and last and in the dead zone :D

So how about you ?

It is awesome that you won a ring! Nice work! I'm still chasing mine. I've been close but haven't sealed the deal yet. Also, my grandpa managed a golf course at JBLM for decades. I remember as kid him taking me out there at night to do maintenance- move sprinklers, change hole locations, stuff like that. As a kid it was cool being out there with my grandpa, but I always that it would be an interesting line of work. Looking at those perfectly manicured greens and fairways is very satisfying!

Turf management the way I’ve done it is as hard as any job I’ve ever done . But I’ve always worked for undercapitalized courses and tried successfully to outperform my budget . But my body is torn up to the point it’s hard to golf . It has been rewarding .
My job on that state championship team was getting my ass kicked in practice all week and maybe 5 minutes of mop up duty after another blowout shutout . Still cool . I coached 3 rd 4th and 5th grade grid kids 15 years ago when my son was coming up. Great times . I was too intense and I insisted on running the WCO with 3rd graders . I’d give the QB half the field. It was a sad day when my kid bailed out of sports in 7th grade .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:25 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I coached 3 rd 4th and 5th grade grid kids 15 years ago when my son was coming up. Great times . I was too intense and I insisted on running the WCO with 3rd graders . I’d give the QB half the field. It was a sad day when my kid bailed out of sports in 7th grade .

I would have loved to have coached kids, but I would have never been able to cope with the parents. My dad coached youth baseball for 9 years, and I got to see close up how some parents would harass umpires, taunt opposing players, go off on their kid's coaches. More than once my dad nearly got into a fist fight with another parent, scaring my mom half to death. I was on the Little League All Stars, and in bottom of the last inning of our final game in a relatively close contest, the parent of one of my teammates, a marginal player that the dad literally cried to get other coaches to name him to the all stars, saw that his son wasn't going to play and made a huge scene in front of about 500 people, screaming at the coach, and took his kid home, the kid crying the whole way.

That was back in 1967, so maybe that's changed. But it kept me from participating in coaching.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:21 pm

Lol I’m that fan sometimes and I was that coach opening day of 5th grade grid kids . We got the shaft , all the in crowd coaches got uniforms and pads and cool sponsors weeks before as we practiced without equipment and we got our stuff opening morning . Then they put us in with the best ringer team in the league . In the middle of being blown out I let my frustrations out and got a call from the league director . I volunteered to resign but they had nobody to replace me . I was too intense and not really a great game manager but I had kids that would hit . I still remember Dairy Queen with my son after the games .he quit football in 6 th grade and school as a sophomore and did skill source . He’s how I found out I was bipolar because he is too . But the kid is 26 now and he’s 6’2” and about 275 and not fat . If he had stayed in who knows . Still a great kid , my Hawks and Zags buddy .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Return to Off Topic