SCOTUS and Roe v Wade

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: SCOTUS and Roe v Wade

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:09 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I think the Dems will introduce legislation if they win in the midterms. I think that is part of their selling point for supporting Dems keeping the House and taking the Senate. Then they have the power to introduce legislation.

If they win the midterms, and that's a big 'if'. If they don't, then they've wasted yet another golden opportunity to pass abortion legislation that would have rendered moot SCOTUS's decision on Roe v. Wade.

I still think that the Dems don't have the slightest intention of passing such legislation as if they did, they would lose an important political weapon. Say what you want about Lindsey Graham, but at least he's trying to bring the issue to some sort of resolution. That's more than I can say for the Democrats.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:35 am

Hawktawk wrote:Whacko left and Taliban right . One Fd up country . But the trumplican Taliban party is the whacko lefts best asset . Starting with 2015 my lifelong party and many of its idiot members have proven they have the ability to screw up a wet dream every time . I’ve really hoped I could have my party back this cycle but oh no .

I detest these people on either fringe that have torn this country apart , ruined it for normal people .

This is a huge issue in our country. I personally don't even really blame the individuals as much as I do the Media and the politicians who continually play each party off of each other. We are as marginalized as we ever have been as a country and many of those in power like it that way. The more they can get each individual entrenched on their side the less likely they will ever flip and the more likely they are to talk to other people about joining their side. Fear is a great motivator and both sides have been using it to the extreme. Fear has always been used to motivate voters but instead of foreign invaders or outside threats as the enemy both sides are pointing to the other side as the biggest threat for our country going forward and they are so good at it that there we are getting to the point where neither side can work together politically. The marginalized political bases are beginning to push for more radical legislation. The further Republicans push Democrats to the left the more likely they are to want to push for far left policies and the more the Republicans are pushed to the right the more likely they are to push for far Right policies. It's like that line from Arrested Development- "They turn you into a monster and then they call you one." We need a unifier in 2024 and I don't see one coming from the Democrats or the Republicans. Biden claimed to be, but he is just more of the same. We should be embarrassed with who we have been trotting out as presidential candidates the last 6 years.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:22 pm

When talking politics, I hear the majority of people parroting viewpoints from Fox and/or CNN or similar political media more than I hear them discuss what the politicians are actually doing or what a policy does. Political media in America is immensely powerful and influential. They way they frame a discussion or debate or attack a politician or political figure highly influences the constituents of each party. Political media has never been more powerful and spread across such a wide and sometimes crazy spectrum than now. Older folks watch a lot of political media on TV, but I expect the younger generation as they age to be more and more influenced by the internet and off the radar media. Not sure how that will work out for voting, but will likely require a great deal of adjustment for both of the current parties who will need to go after voters who don't want to watch the mainstream political media too much.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:27 pm

I identify as democrat, but I find CNN’s clickbait headlines just as terrible as Fox News. The only thing fair thing I can say for CNN is that when something bad happens to the left cause, they will report that, too. For example, Fox News totally ignored Trump’s groveling to Putin in Helsinki that day…as if it never happened. You’ll never see me reference a CNN article here, because I see them as partisan hacks even if they are closer to where I stand. It’s tough to find actual objective journalism.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:25 pm

I-5 wrote:I identify as democrat, but I find CNN’s clickbait headlines just as terrible as Fox News. The only thing fair thing I can say for CNN is that when something bad happens to the left cause, they will report that, too. For example, Fox News totally ignored Trump’s groveling to Putin in Helsinki that day…as if it never happened. You’ll never see me reference a CNN article here, because I see them as partisan hacks even if they are closer to where I stand. It’s tough to find actual objective journalism.

I'll second that.

Media bias doesn't occur so much in the stories they report on as much as those that they don't. My favorite example was once when I was in a gym working out on an elliptical machine. I had two cable news networks I could watch, either Fox News or MSNBC. I turned on the latter first, and they were talking about Trump's impeachment (the first one). I got a little tired of the subject, so I turned it to Fox and their lead story was about an illegal alien in Iowa that had murdered a female college student. Each news organization has their own filter.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:50 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'll second that.

Media bias doesn't occur so much in the stories they report on as much as those that they don't. My favorite example was once when I was in a gym working out on an elliptical machine. I had two cable news networks I could watch, either Fox News or MSNBC. I turned on the latter first, and they were talking about Trump's impeachment (the first one). I got a little tired of the subject, so I turned it to Fox and their lead story was about an illegal alien in Iowa that had murdered a female college student. Each news organization has their own filter.

I would say the media bias is both what they focus on reporting including guiding the narrative in a certain direction to evoke a particular reaction as well as what they don't report. Right now the political media is probably the most powerful controller of voting in America with a small percentage of swing voters throwing the monkey wrench in the works in certain key swing states allowing for some surprises.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Previous

Return to Off Topic