January 6th Trial

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: January 6th Trial

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:58 pm

I-5 wrote:Being undermined doesn't not equal debunked. Her story being attacked is as predictable as the sun rising. Let them refute it under oath, then we'll see.

Mark Meadows is pretty quiet...he could easily set the record straight if he wanted to.

I can't think of a scenario where the DOJ can come up with a reason NOT to indict Trump, but let's wait until more info comes out.

This is political theater aimed at swaying voters, which is likely the best they can hope for. If the Republicans make the Committee look like fools for believing lies, then they get undermined with the public.

I'm sure I'm being paranoid, but setting the Committee up by seeding witnesses they can undermine with the public and use to rally Trump supporters would be an intelligent plan. I hope this is mere happenstance. But who knows. It's political war right now and I would not put it beyond the Republicans to undermine the Committee with seed witnesses.

Hell, if I were being super paranoid, I would see Liz Cheney as the ultimate mole because her father is Dick Cheney, one of the most ruthless and intelligent Republican political strategists possibly in history. But I think that would be too paranoid a thought...I hope.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:04 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, now I'm not so sure. It appears that the committee was in a huge rush to get Ms. Hutchinson's bombshell testimony out in the open and did so without first reaching out to the Secret Service for some type of corroboration to her claims. The SS had already assured the committee that they would cooperate in the investigation, that they could access any witness or documents they deem relevant, so why they didn't check with them BEFORE allowing Ms. Hutchinson to go on national TV with her incredible story is a mystery.

Now there's word that the SS agents in the SUV are willing to testify that Trump did NOT lunge at the steering wheel:

However, a source close to the Secret Service confirmed to CBS News that Engel and the driver are prepared to testify under oath that neither man was physically attacked or assaulted by Trump and that the former president never lunged for the steering wheel of the vehicle.

Since Ms. Hutchinson wasn't in the vehicle and her claim was based on 2nd hand information, I'm not sure how much this will damage her credibility if, indeed, the SS testifies as this article suggests. But it's going to be a huge black eye for the committee if the SS denies what Hutchinson said.

I don't know RD. Some of this stuff seems planned, like a planned disinformation campaign.

People should not forget who Liz Cheney is and who her father is. If I were Democrats, I wouldn't have wanted Liz Cheney on the Committee. Her father is one of the most ruthless Republicans I've ever read about. Maybe he doesn't like Trump, but I would not put it beyond Dick Cheney at all to seed the waters to exert control by sending in a Trump dissenter to be the wolf in the hen house.

I would never trust a Cheney if I were a Democrat. It seems like a bad idea.

I don't know, man. Maybe I'm writing too many political novels in my head. This all seems too scripted. Trump been in political news for going on six to eight years now with no end in sight. I'm tired of this guy. If the Democrats can't stick anything on him, they need to let his name and the name of his entire family die on the vine.

Man, I really hope the Republicans undermine his election bid in 2024. We don't need him running again.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:10 pm

I-5 wrote:I don’t know the format of the questions, so it’s hard for me to understand whether Cheney’s questioning brought out the temper incidents or if Hutchinson volunteered them. I agree the temper examples are more sensational than material to criminal charges, of which there are many in her testimony. The level of detail in her testimony, the clear eyed delivery, and saying she doesn’t know when she doesn’t know the answer paints her as a reasonable witness even in the most moderate eyes I would think. She worked for Ted Cruz, ffs.

Regarding Cheney's questioning. For the most part, the testimony in these types of hearings is rehearsed. The witnesses are briefed ahead of time as to the exact questions that will be asked. There should have been no unexpected questions for the witness and no unexpected answers for the committee members. The members, or at least the chairman, had to have known ahead of time that Ms. Hutchinson was going to testify to the lunging incident, of which they knew that she did not witness, and the dish throwing tantrum. In my opinion, the chairman should have counseled Hutchinson to skip that part as it was irrelevant to their investigation.

Regarding the quality of Hutchinson's testimony, I agree completely, it was very compelling. She answered in an unemotional, matter-of-fact, Dragnet type of a voice, which is why I drew a parallel with John Dean's testimony in the Watergate hearings nearly 50 years ago (God, has it been that long? :D ) that I saw live.

But that's not the point. The point is that the accounts given about the lunging incident are a weakness in her testimony because (A) she did not witness it herself, (B) is subject to rebuttal, and (C) is irrelevant.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:11 pm

RiverDog wrote:Of course, they were calling it political theatre before it began. Hell, even I was saying that, and I can't stand DJT and would love nothing other than to see him behind bars eating off a tin plate. The point is that they gave the opposition a knife and a gun. The committee should have been doing everything they could to make her testimony as bullet proof as possible, checking and double checking her story so as to close off any potential criticism, and instead, they did the exact opposite.

And whether you or I feel her credibility is or isn't intact is beside the point. The point is that there are others out there, moderates that can be 'bought' for the lack of a better word, that are going to look at that incident and wonder what else in her testimony is just scuttle butt based on hearsay.

And my questions might have appeared rhetorical, so I'll ask you directly: Why have Ms. Hutchinson testify to the lunging incident at all? What difference does it make if he did or didn't? And why the testimony of Trump's temper tantrum? Like you said, the truly important testimony is Trump telling security to shut down the metal detectors. That is something that they can prosecute him for or use as evidence of supporting the insurrection and putting lives in danger, not breaking some dinnerware.

If you were a Democrat, would you ever trust a daughter of Dick Cheney? One of the smartest, most ruthless Republicans in history who engineered two wars including the downfall of Saddam Hussein while making associated companies enormous money. Do you think a Cheney is morally concerned with the actions of Donald Trump? Or do you think Dick Cheney specifically is? I doubt it. I seriously do.

Do I think it would be beyond Dick Cheney to say to his daughter, "Ok, Liz. You're going to pretend to be a Trump dissenter. You're going to get deep in the Democrat circles attacking Trump. You're going to coordinate disinformation against Trump. And we're going to end around the Democrats at the right time to retake power in the White House."

I just don't put it beyond Dick Cheney to do this. I really do not. He's one of the few Republicans that could pull this off. Just like if Dick Cheney really wanted to, he could torpedo Trump along with the Bush's, but they don't. Why? Follow the money.

But I guess we'll see how this turns out in the long run whether this is power moves or real efforts to stop Donald.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:20 pm

RiverDog wrote:Regarding Cheney's questioning. For the most part, the testimony in these types of hearings is rehearsed. The witnesses are briefed ahead of time as to the exact questions that will be asked. There should have been no unexpected questions for the witness and no unexpected answers for the committee members. The members, or at least the chairman, had to have known ahead of time that Ms. Hutchinson was going to testify to the lunging incident, of which they knew that she did not witness, and the dish throwing tantrum. In my opinion, the chairman should have counseled Hutchinson to skip that part as it was irrelevant to their investigation.

Regarding the quality of Hutchinson's testimony, I agree completely, it was very compelling. She answered in an unemotional, matter-of-fact, Dragnet type of a voice, which is why I drew a parallel with John Dean's testimony in the Watergate hearings nearly 50 years ago (God, has it been that long? :D ) that I saw live.

But that's not the point. The point is that the accounts given about the lunging incident are a weakness in her testimony because (A) she did not witness it herself, (B) is subject to rebuttal, and (C) is irrelevant.

You're already against Trump, which is why you found the testimony compelling. This testimony had no effect on his base who already consider this a witch hunt.

Is it enough to sway independents? I doubt it will have an effect once 2024 comes around. You talk about forgotten issues, this will be long forgotten by 2024 if they don't stick something on him.

I think the abortion ruling is a far more powerful stick for the Democrats to take down Trump. These elections are tight. The Roe vs. Wade ruling is a much bigger rallying point with the Democratic base than Cassidy's testimony, which looks like more of the same crap I saw when they flipped Michael Cohen, got Roger Stone to testify, and it seems you and the others have forgotten how many people that supposedly "flipped" on Trump or given damning testimony from business partners, his personal lawyer, his wife's personal aid, Omarosa, and a long and distinguished list. Even with all of this, Trump almost won re-election and was derailed by heinous idiocy with his COVID19 response. Even with his complete idiot COVID19 response, he almost won.

Which is why I'm at the point now where I would prefer to see another Republican take him out. The Dems have thrown everything and the kitchen sink at this guy. They thankfully pulled off getting Biden elected due to the idiot COVID19 response by about a million votes to win the electoral votes to win. But COVID is in the rearview mirror.

Now they been thrown a bone with the Roe vs. Wade ruling. They better ride that to taking Congress and then Trump will fear to run again because he won't have a Republican Senate to protect him.

Or maybe this is a move by Cheney to rope SS agents into testifying to take down Trump? That would be a ruthless move by a Cheney to hammer Trump hard. If the Secret Service testifies against Trump, the public, even Trump supporters, might turn against him. I guess we'll see how that goes. SS Agents would have even more credibility than the witness herself.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:53 pm

There has been a lot of political theatre on both sides, but until Tuesday none have been presented in the first person by someone who was with Trump on Jan 6 and heard him ask to let armed people through to an event and with the foreknowledge, planning and leasing role in the insurrection. All of these are serious crimes.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:07 pm

I-5 wrote:There has been a lot of political theatre on both sides, but until Tuesday none have been presented in the first person by someone who was with Trump on Jan 6 and heard him ask to let armed people through to an event and with the foreknowledge, planning and leasing role in the insurrection. All of these are serious crimes.

I heard nothing you could indict with in Cassidy's testimony. Her testimony was hearsay and would be easily beaten by an even halfway competent lawyer. You are way overstating her testimony. I read every bit of it. Nothing she said would be used in a criminal case unless confirmed by multiple credible witnesses. Right now, her testimony is nothing more than "She said" testimony that would require a great deal more confirmation to be actionable. It's best effect at the moment is to turn independent voters, which is I think the primary reason for this Committee.

You have said this same thing so many times I'm surprised you keep saying it. I could parse so many threads with you, hawktawk, and so many others posting this exact same idea. You keep going, "Finally, we got him." You haven't been right once. This is weaker evidence than when Michael Cohen turned on Trump or his business partner or Paul Manafort or the literal recorded phone call of his interactions with the Ukrainian president. Trump has tweeted worse than Cassidy's testimony. Nothing done about it.

The man is protected by some powerful, powerful people. I'm not exactly sure who other than maybe Mitch McConnell, but damn, even Mitch seems to dislike Trump. So it must be some seriously powerful people behind the scenes for Trump to get away with this much.

I can't even at this point say Clinton got away with this much.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:27 pm

Disagree. Hearsay means information received from other people (ie lunging incident). This is not hearsay. The parts of her testimony that go into seditious conspiracy are all told in the first person, as she herself witnessed Trump ask for armed protestors to be let through, and acknowledged they weren't there to hurt him. She was also present to witness multiple people in the planning stages of the attempted coup. This is not hearsay. Trump can say 'phony' and 'we want equal time' but he knows that means it has to be under oath...who on his team is willing to go under penalty of perjury to take a bullet for him? So far, no one. Cheney today said that Tony Ornato and other Secret Service staff are invited to testify again under oath - so the ball is in his court if he is ready to do so for Trump.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:50 pm

I go to Fox News, it's like nothing happened and Cassidy's testimony is meaningless. My Republican buddies parroting the Fox News viewpoint.

I go to CNN and it's like they finally have Trump and this is the most important testimony given yet. And I5 is parroting the CNN viewpoint.

Just more proof that the political media drives American opinion far more than reality.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:03 pm

I-5 wrote:Disagree. Hearsay means information received from other people (ie lunging incident). This is not hearsay. The parts of her testimony that go into seditious conspiracy are all told in the first person, as she herself witnessed Trump ask for armed protestors to be let through, and acknowledged they weren't there to hurt him. She was also present to witness multiple people in the planning stages of the attempted coup. This is not hearsay. Trump can say 'phony' and 'we want equal time' but he knows that means it has to be under oath...who on his team is willing to go under penalty of perjury to take a bullet for him? So far, no one. Cheney today said that Tony Ornato and other Secret Service staff are invited to testify again under oath - so the ball is in his court if he is ready to do so for Trump.

It is most definitely not indictable unless backed up by more than just this lady. If some Secret Service agents do show up and contradict her, her credibility is going to be sullied immediately. If the Secret Service corroborate her story, then her credibility will be affirmed. Secret Service has already offered to make their agents available. So her credibility is tied to getting some Secret Service agents to affirm or deny.

You been making claims for years now. Where is Trump? Playing golf in Florida waiting to announce his re-election bid in 2024. Still rich, still living well, and still exerting political power.

Where is Trump's family? Doing whatever they do, making money, and still living well. None of them in jail, not a single one of them.

Who did jail time? Michael Cohen. Paul Manafort. Michael Flynn. Roger Stone. Where are they now? I think all of them are out, even Cohen and Manafort are doing their time at home I believe.

Others doing jail time, those dumb enough to believe Trump and riot on January 6th. A lot of them are doing real jail time or on probation or ruined life for their dumb choice.

Why? Because life is different for the wealthy and powerful compared to those they use.

Maybe you'll be right this time. I doubt it, but maybe. I don't normally hope this, but I would rather see the Democrats take the Senate in the midterms. That will do more to stop Trump than this Committee in my opinion.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:47 am

I-5 wrote:There has been a lot of political theatre on both sides, but until Tuesday none have been presented in the first person by someone who was with Trump on Jan 6 and heard him ask to let armed people through to an event and with the foreknowledge, planning and leasing role in the insurrection. All of these are serious crimes.

Of course, the R's have been and will be engaging in political theatre in their reaction to these hearings. If the shoe were on the other foot, the Dems would be doing the same thing. But this is the Democrats' show, not the Republicans. If they wanted to do a credible, fact finding investigation that would be accepted by the most possible people, they would have gone to every effort to keep testimony limited to that which directly applies to how and why the riot started, what could have/should have been done to stop it, how it can be prevented in the future, and who, if anyone, should be charged with the commission of a crime. They should have attempted to keep the political theatre out if it as much as they could, made the witness's testimony as immune to criticism as possible.

I still haven't heard you or anyone else give me an acceptable answer to the questions I posed: Why didn't the committee contact the SS in advance of Ms. Hutchinson's testimony and at least attempt to validate some of her claims, particularly those she did not witness? Why were they in such a rush to get her in the witness chair and in front of the TV cameras? Why did they allow her to testify to the lunging/tantrum incidents?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:17 pm

RiverDog wrote:Of course, the R's have been and will be engaging in political theatre in their reaction to these hearings. If the shoe were on the other foot, the Dems would be doing the same thing. But this is the Democrats' show, not the Republicans. If they wanted to do a credible, fact finding investigation that would be accepted by the most possible people, they would have gone to every effort to keep testimony limited to that which directly applies to how and why the riot started, what could have/should have been done to stop it, how it can be prevented in the future, and who, if anyone, should be charged with the commission of a crime. They should have attempted to keep the political theatre out if it as much as they could, made the witness's testimony as immune to criticism as possible.

I still haven't heard you or anyone else give me an acceptable answer to the questions I posed: Why didn't the committee contact the SS in advance of Ms. Hutchinson's testimony and at least attempt to validate some of her claims, particularly those she did not witness? Why were they in such a rush to get her in the witness chair and in front of the TV cameras? Why did they allow her to testify to the lunging/tantrum incidents?

Have you read any polls saying the January 6th Committee is having an effect? Or do you know any Rs that supported Trump it changed? So far, Trump supporters and Rs I know are not even watching it or view it as a witch hunt and Trump obsession.

You're seeing pro-Trump Rs getting beaten in the primaries? That would be a nice change.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:40 pm

RiverDog wrote:

To answer your question, the committee has in fact talked to multiple members of the SS before Hutchinson’s testimony, and there are other SS sources saying today that there has been talk of Trump lunging to the front seat over the past year. The guy that tried to refute is a Trump guy who he elevated from the SS to be deputy chief of staff. He’s the same guy who denied trying to clear a path through Lafayette Square protestors so that Trump could get a (upside down) bible holding photo opp, then was found to have lied. That guy.

The important thing about the limo incident is that multiple people including SS do acknowledge that Trump was angry and wanted to go to the capitol with the armed protestors, knowing they weren’t there to hurt him. That’s the significant part that no one is refuting.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:45 pm

I-5 wrote:To answer your question, the committee has in fact talked to multiple members of the SS before Hutchinson’s testimony, and there are other SS sources saying today that there has been talk of Trump lunging to the front seat over the past year. The guy that tried to refute is a Trump guy who he elevated from the SS to be deputy chief of staff. He’s the same guy who denied trying to clear a path through Lafayette Square protestors so that Trump could get a (upside down) bible holding photo opp, then was found to have lied. That guy.

The important thing about the limo incident is that multiple people including SS do acknowledge that Trump was angry and wanted to go to the capitol with the armed protestors, knowing they weren’t there to hurt him. That’s the significant part that no one is refuting.

I'm wondering how much you would be willing to bet that Trump is charged from this January 6th Committee. I tried to bet a Democrat last night who wanted to bet me $10 he would be charged within the next 10 years. Ridiculous bet as I won't even know this guy in that time frame. I shortened it to a year and he wouldn't take it.

So what is your time frame for Trump to be charged and actually suffer any consequences for his actions? So far it is has been 6 years plus of nothing. How many more years before he's actually charged and something happens to him? At least give some kind of estimate.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:48 am

RiverDog wrote:I still haven't heard you or anyone else give me an acceptable answer to the questions I posed: Why didn't the committee contact the SS in advance of Ms. Hutchinson's testimony and at least attempt to validate some of her claims, particularly those she did not witness? Why were they in such a rush to get her in the witness chair and in front of the TV cameras? Why did they allow her to testify to the lunging/tantrum incidents?

I-5 wrote:To answer your question, the committee has in fact talked to multiple members of the SS before Hutchinson’s testimony, and there are other SS sources saying today that there has been talk of Trump lunging to the front seat over the past year. The guy that tried to refute is a Trump guy who he elevated from the SS to be deputy chief of staff. He’s the same guy who denied trying to clear a path through Lafayette Square protestors so that Trump could get a (upside down) bible holding photo opp, then was found to have lied. That guy.

Where are you getting your information? Does it contradict the statement that the Chief of Communications for the SS issued about them not being contacted prior to Hutchinson's testimony?

We're not talking about Trump lunging to the front seat over the past year, we're talking about on Jan. 6th 2021.

There's also this report from that conservative rag, the Washington Post:

Later on Tuesday, The Washington Post reported that three agents who were with Trump in the vehicle dispute that he “assaulted or grabbed at the leader of his security detail or that he grabbed for the steering wheel,” according to one current and one former law enforcement official familiar with the agents’ accounts. Various outlets also reported that Ornato and Bobby Engel, the lead Secret Service agent in the vehicle, are willing to testify to the committee disputing Hutchinson’s account.

I-5 wrote:The important thing about the limo incident is that multiple people including SS do acknowledge that Trump was angry and wanted to go to the capitol with the armed protestors, knowing they weren’t there to hurt him. That’s the significant part that no one is refuting.

There is plenty of evidence showing Trump's anger and his state of mind from multiple witnesses that have already given sworn testimony, things like his wanting the metal detectors disabled and his characterizations of the rioters. His anger and state of mind is as close to an accepted fact as one can get. They didn't need Hutchinson to testify to a 2nd hand account that she did not witness and that is now being disputed in order to show that Trump was angry and wanted to go to the Capitol.

Besides, Trump's anger isn't primary evidence. It's not against the law to get angry, nor is it against the law to suggest illegal things. It's just supporting evidence to show his intent, why he did not act to protect lives, dereliction of duty. Even you indicated that the lunging incident wasn't that important. They should not have risked compromising Ms. Hutchinson's testimony by having her testify to a mostly irrelevant action that she did not witness.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:19 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Have you read any polls saying the January 6th Committee is having an effect? Or do you know any Rs that supported Trump it changed? So far, Trump supporters and Rs I know are not even watching it or view it as a witch hunt and Trump obsession.

You're seeing pro-Trump Rs getting beaten in the primaries? That would be a nice change.

As expected, it's pretty much splitting along party lines. Here's the latest poll taken after the Hutchinson testimony:

About half of Americans believe former President Donald Trump should be charged with a crime for his role in the U.S. Capitol attack on Jan. 6, 2021, a new poll shows.

The survey from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research finds that 48% of U.S. adults say the Republican former president should be charged with a crime for his role, while 31% say he should not be charged. An additional 20% say they don’t know enough to have an opinion. Fifty-eight percent say Trump bears a great deal or quite a bit of responsibility for what happened that day.

Views on Trump’s criminal liability break down predictably along party lines, with 86% of Democrats but only 10% of Republicans saying Trump should be charged with a crime. Among Republicans, 68% say he should not be charged and 21% say they don’t know.

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-sieg ... 6d8a13657d

Pro-Trump R's did pretty well in the earlier primaries, but they're getting trounced in GA. Perhaps the hearings are having an effect.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:34 am

All a lawyer needs is to generate reasonable doubt on a single bit of testimony for any witness to create a situation for a jury to acquit or be declared hung for Trump. It's why I am shocked any Democrat believes a jury trial on the current testimony is going to lead to anything happening to Trump. The man's on record as having done worse than this January 6th riot in tweets, his Ukraine phone call, breaking election laws, his Georgia phone call with witnessed by Republicans who have gone on record accusing him of election tampering, being investigated by Mueller for Russian collusion, he's the only president in history to be impeached twice, and all the other crap he's done across multiple states. He's been the most publicly investigated president in history, which in and of itself ruins the jury selection pool where it would be nearly impossible to find an impartial jury. The Democrats have no one to blame but themselves for setting themselves up for failure. The unrealistic followers of the Democratic Party who don't seem to understand jury trials and American law keep hoping the Democrats will somehow be able to bypass a jury trial to get Trump, which is extremely, extremely unlikely.

Biden seems like one of the few people in the Democratic Party that can see taking down Trump using the legal system is a dead issue and it's better to let his name die off by success in other areas. I bet part of the reason is he's one of the few that has sat down with Republican power brokers behind the scenes and asked them directly, "Is there anything we can do that will cause you to turn on Trump?" The answer has been no. McConnell has probably told Biden to his face behind the scenes that he cannot turn on Trump because he will lose support with extremely powerful money men in the Republican power structure. Only Republicans who don't need Trump support like Romney and Cheney can go their own way (that is if Dick Cheney is not playing games which I'm still not sure about).
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:43 am

RiverDog wrote:As expected, it's pretty much splitting along party lines. Here's the latest poll taken after the Hutchinson testimony:

About half of Americans believe former President Donald Trump should be charged with a crime for his role in the U.S. Capitol attack on Jan. 6, 2021, a new poll shows.

The survey from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research finds that 48% of U.S. adults say the Republican former president should be charged with a crime for his role, while 31% say he should not be charged. An additional 20% say they don’t know enough to have an opinion. Fifty-eight percent say Trump bears a great deal or quite a bit of responsibility for what happened that day.

Views on Trump’s criminal liability break down predictably along party lines, with 86% of Democrats but only 10% of Republicans saying Trump should be charged with a crime. Among Republicans, 68% say he should not be charged and 21% say they don’t know.

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-sieg ... 6d8a13657d

Pro-Trump R's did pretty well in the earlier primaries, but they're getting trounced in GA. Perhaps the hearings are having an effect.

The only Pro-Trump guy I heard getting trounced in Georgia was Walker.

I think it has less to do with the Committee and more because Trump pissed off the local Georgia Republican Party by going after popular Republicans like the Georgia election guy Raffensperger (who I believe won his primary) and the governor Kemp. Raffensperger was a Trump supporter until Trump went after him for doing his job. I think that had an effect in Georgia.

That election phone call was illegal. It was confirmed by a Republican. It was a not so veiled threat trying to push an elected official to change election results. Nothing happened to Trump legally, but it did seem to hurt his Georgia Republican support because not long later Republicans lost both Senate seats. I think Georgians are not happy with Trump's attempt to intimidate even local Republican leaders. So Georgia has other reasons to push back on Trump because he turned on them like the snake that he is and it went public with Republicans themselves turning on him publicly in Georgia. I wouldn't use Georgia as a good barometer of an affect by the Committee. They already turned on him when that Georgia election phone call went public and Kemp, a staunch Trump supporter, sided with his local Republican officials. Georgia soured on Trump before January 6th. Trump did it to himself there.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:57 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:The only Pro-Trump guy I heard getting trounced in Georgia was Walker.

It was more than just Walker:

In Georgia’s 10th Congressional District runoff, Trump-backed Vernon Jones was bested by Mike Collins, the owner of a trucking company. According to unofficial results, Collins landed nearly triple the votes won by Jones, a former state lawmaker and Democrat turned Republican who was a top Black surrogate for the then-president in the Peach State during the 2020 election.

Collins was endorsed last week by Republican Gov. Brian Kemp, just three weeks after Kemp crushed former Sen. David Perdue, who was primary challenging the conservative governor with heavy support from Trump. Kemp topped Perdue by more than 50 points in last month’s Republican gubernatorial primary, which was a stinging defeat for Trump. Kemp had raised Trump’s ire for certifying the then-president’s razor-thin electoral defeat to now-President Biden in Georgia in the 2020 election.

Perdue wasn’t the only high-profile Trump-backed candidate to go down to defeat in Georgia’s primary. Hice lost by double digits to Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, whom Trump had also repeatedly attacked. And Trump backed GOP attorney general challenger John Gordon was demolished by incumbent Chris Carr.

In Georgia’s 6th Congressional District, which covers mostly rural regions north of Atlanta, Trump-backed Jake Evans was soundly defeated by physician Rich McCormick.

Katie Britt, a former longtime Shelby aide who served as the senator’s chief of staff from 2016-2018 and who later became the first female president and CEO of the Business Council of Alabama, defeated Rep. Mo Brooks, who was one of Trump’s top allies in the House.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... -elections

Aseahawkfan wrote:I think it has less to do with the Committee and more because Trump pissed off the local Georgia Republican Party by going after popular Republicans like the Georgia election guy Raffensperger (who I believe won his primary) and the governor Kemp. Raffensperger was a Trump supporter until Trump went after him for doing his job. I think that had an effect in Georgia.

That election phone call was illegal. It was confirmed by a Republican. It was a not so veiled threat trying to push an elected official to change election results. Nothing happened to Trump legally, but it did seem to hurt his Georgia Republican support because not long later Republicans lost both Senate seats. I think Georgians are not happy with Trump's attempt to intimidate even local Republican leaders. So Georgia has other reasons to push back on Trump because he turned on them like the snake that he is and it went public with Republicans themselves turning on him publicly in Georgia. I wouldn't use Georgia as a good barometer of an affect by the Committee. They already turned on him when that Georgia election phone call went public and Kemp, a staunch Trump supporter, sided with his local Republican officials. Georgia soured on Trump before January 6th. Trump did it to himself there.

I agree. Georgia could be an outlier due to the election tampering along with the fact that Biden won the state, and it seems to be trending towards being a swing state vs. a solid red one.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:24 am

Riv, at the very least, the guy who told Cassidy the limo story (Tony Ornato) has been called out as lying by multiple people who worked in the White House. It all comes down to he said/she said, but this guy is by no means without his own credibility issues. There are multiple sources calling Ornato’s credibility into account, but here is one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-tony-ornato-jan-6-b2113434.html

I agree with you that the limo incident has nothing to do with the material reasons to indict or not indict Trump. I’ve said earliee that I think the DOJ would have to weigh the consequences of indicting a POTUS for the first time in history and the turmoil it would cause, but I think the turmoil would be FAR GREATER if we allow a president to get away with resisting the peaceful transfer of power. Unless someone here can show otherwise, there is and was no evidence of the election being stolen. If Trump gets away woth it, any jackass who becomes president now has precedent to resist the peaceful transfer of power, and the democracy we know and love is f___ed. Even if its a hung judy, mistrial, etc the principle of indicting a president who lost and attempted to stay in power is important and significant. Not indicting is a disaster for future democracy. In other words, it matters less whether Trump goes to prison or not - that’s a separate issue. More important is the principle that a president can’t stay in power if he lost.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:45 am

I-5 wrote:Riv, at the very least, the guy who told Cassidy the limo story (Tony Ornato) has been called out as lying by multiple people who worked in the White House. It all comes down to he said/she said, but this guy is by no means without his own credibility issues. There are multiple sources calling Ornato’s credibility into account, but here is one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-tony-ornato-jan-6-b2113434.html

I agree with you that the limo incident has nothing to do with the material reasons to indict or not indict Trump. I’ve said earliee that I think the DOJ would have to weigh the consequences of indicting a POTUS for the first time in history and the turmoil it would cause, but I think the turmoil would be FAR GREATER if we allow a president to get away with resisting the peaceful transfer of power. Unless someone here can show otherwise, there is and was no evidence of the election being stolen. If Trump gets away woth it, any jackass who becomes president now has precedent to resist the peaceful transfer of power, and the democracy we know and love is f___ed. Even if its a hung judy, mistrial, etc the principle of indicting a president who lost and attempted to stay in power is important and significant. Not indicting is a disaster for future democracy. In other words, it matters less whether Trump goes to prison or not - that’s a separate issue. More important is the principle that a president can’t stay in power if he lost.

OK, I appreciate your candor, and thanks for the link as it reinforces my argument. But it brings me back to the same questions I've been asking:

Especially since your link proves that it was common knowledge that Tony Ornato was not a trustworthy source and would have required very little time and effort for the committee to do a quick background check on him, why didn't they check out Hutchinson's story before they put her in the witness chair? Why the huge rush? Why didn't they take a few days and go through her story and validate as much of it as they could? Since we agree that the lunging incident wasn't a material reason to indict Trump, then why have her testify to it at all, especially given that she was not eyewitness to it?

The only answer that I can come up with is that they knew the lunging incident was explosive, eye opening behavior and that it would get people, aka voters, attention and keep them riveted to the TV. It was a Hollywood-type stunt, adding a fictious event to a real life drama to spice it up and increase its entertainment value.

What they've accomplished is that by linking Hutchinson's testimony with that of a liar, they've compromised both her credibility as well as that of the hearings themselves. As any investigator or scientist performing an experiment or research will tell you, they should be trying to make their investigation as impartial and objective as they can, screen out the noise and not let it influence their work. "Just the facts, mam" as they'd say on Dragnet. It's especially important in a very visible, public hearing where part of the objective is to show those doubters and fence sitters that it's a pure fact finding mission and not political theatre.

Personally, I don't feel that Hutchinson testifying to an event that didn't happen causes me to doubt the rest of what she testified to. She didn't testify falsely, she testified truthfully to a lie that she was told. That's a big difference. But that's not necessarily how others will see it. There are others, both hard core Trump supporters as well as a number of fence sitters, that are looking for a "Gotcha!" event and use it to cast doubt on the entire proceedings. They'll look at it and ask a legitimate question: "What else about this is a lie?" The committee stubbed their toe on this one.

As far as the rest of your comments about putting Trump on trial, I personally agree. But there's no way that they'll ever get a conviction, and there will be at least some downside to putting him on trial as it's going to make him a martyr to a lot of people, keep him in the news cycle.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:32 am

Ri, I thought I was clear, but apparently not clear enough. CONVICTING Trump is less important than INDICTING Trump. It’s the principle of of respecting the election process and not allowing a president to get away with resisting a peaceful transfer of power that the indictment is about….not what happens to Trump.

Back to Ornato, I think you are reading it wrong. Ornato being called a liar couid mean the limo incident he described to Hitchinson did in fact happen and that his denial last week is a lie. As I said, numerous secret service agents have been talking about Trump lunging for the front seat for the past year, so Hutchinson’s testimony isn’t the first time it has been mentioned.
I-5
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:08 am

It's interesting that those making claims do so under oath and those denying those claims won't testify under oath.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:21 am

I-5 wrote:Ri, I thought I was clear, but apparently not clear enough. CONVICTING Trump is less important than INDICTING Trump. It’s the principle of of respecting the election process and not allowing a president to get away with resisting a peaceful transfer of power that the indictment is about….not what happens to Trump.

I understood completely. My point is that at least to some degree, trying Trump while not convicting him will be counter productive in that it gives him even more publicity, keeps him in the news cycle, make him a martyr to his followers. I personally don't feel that those consequences are worth it if they are not at least somewhat confident of convicting him or at least damaging him to the point where his making another run for the POTUS wouldn't be viable. I am more interested in stopping the movement than I am going on a personal vendetta to extract some type of revenge.

I-5 wrote:Back to Ornato, I think you are reading it wrong. Ornato being called a liar couid mean the limo incident he described to Hutchinson did in fact happen and that his denial last week is a lie. As I said, numerous secret service agents have been talking about Trump lunging for the front seat for the past year, so Hutchinson’s testimony isn’t the first time it has been mentioned.

Whether the lunging incident happened or didn't happen is irrelevant. My point is that they should never have allowed Ms. Hutchinson to testify to a 2nd hand event unless they were able to corroborate her story. Had they used due diligence as any investigation should, they would have discovered that Oranto was not a reliable source of information and not allowed Ms. Hutchinson to put her credibility and that of the committees on the line by testifying to an event she did not witness and that was not critical information that could be used by the Justice Department to file charges.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:48 pm

I-5 wrote:Riv, at the very least, the guy who told Cassidy the limo story (Tony Ornato) has been called out as lying by multiple people who worked in the White House. It all comes down to he said/she said, but this guy is by no means without his own credibility issues. There are multiple sources calling Ornato’s credibility into account, but here is one:

You still have not provided a time frame for Trump's indictment and the clock is ticking on him running again. So please provide a time frame for your belief the Democrats will eventually get him because it will be too late if he runs for president again and especially if he wins in a few years.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:52 pm

I-5 wrote:Ri, I thought I was clear, but apparently not clear enough. CONVICTING Trump is less important than INDICTING Trump. It’s the principle of of respecting the election process and not allowing a president to get away with resisting a peaceful transfer of power that the indictment is about….not what happens to Trump.

Back to Ornato, I think you are reading it wrong. Ornato being called a liar couid mean the limo incident he described to Hitchinson did in fact happen and that his denial last week is a lie. As I said, numerous secret service agents have been talking about Trump lunging for the front seat for the past year, so Hutchinson’s testimony isn’t the first time it has been mentioned.

Not to me. If the Democrats don't stop this guy from running again and being a viable candidate, then they failed and badly. He is going to crap all over the Democrats if he takes office again with a Republican Congress.

Trump has written in his book and has made it very clear, he is going to pay people back if he takes power again with a Republican Congress. This guy will do it. He's that type of person.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:06 pm

RiverDog wrote:OK, I appreciate your candor, and thanks for the link as it reinforces my argument. But it brings me back to the same questions I've been asking:

Especially since your link proves that it was common knowledge that Tony Ornato was not a trustworthy source and would have required very little time and effort for the committee to do a quick background check on him, why didn't they check out Hutchinson's story before they put her in the witness chair? Why the huge rush? Why didn't they take a few days and go through her story and validate as much of it as they could? Since we agree that the lunging incident wasn't a material reason to indict Trump, then why have her testify to it at all, especially given that she was not eyewitness to it?

The only answer that I can come up with is that they knew the lunging incident was explosive, eye opening behavior and that it would get people, aka voters, attention and keep them riveted to the TV. It was a Hollywood-type stunt, adding a fictious event to a real life drama to spice it up and increase its entertainment value.

What they've accomplished is that by linking Hutchinson's testimony with that of a liar, they've compromised both her credibility as well as that of the hearings themselves. As any investigator or scientist performing an experiment or research will tell you, they should be trying to make their investigation as impartial and objective as they can, screen out the noise and not let it influence their work. "Just the facts, mam" as they'd say on Dragnet. It's especially important in a very visible, public hearing where part of the objective is to show those doubters and fence sitters that it's a pure fact finding mission and not political theatre.

Personally, I don't feel that Hutchinson testifying to an event that didn't happen causes me to doubt the rest of what she testified to. She didn't testify falsely, she testified truthfully to a lie that she was told. That's a big difference. But that's not necessarily how others will see it. There are others, both hard core Trump supporters as well as a number of fence sitters, that are looking for a "Gotcha!" event and use it to cast doubt on the entire proceedings. They'll look at it and ask a legitimate question: "What else about this is a lie?" The committee stubbed their toe on this one.

As far as the rest of your comments about putting Trump on trial, I personally agree. But there's no way that they'll ever get a conviction, and there will be at least some downside to putting him on trial as it's going to make him a martyr to a lot of people, keep him in the news cycle.

With a Cheney involved and her dad likely advising her, a few reasons are why this play was made:

1. Cheney is a plant that is there to throw a wrench in the works of getting an actual conviction and see the testimony with lies mixed with truth so the propaganda machine can undermine witnesses.

2. This was a play by Cheney to get Secret Service agents under oath before the Committee. Seed the testimony with something they can refute, while getting them in front of the Committee under oath to hit them with other questions. Which if Dick Cheney is truly against Trump, he would not be beyond maneuvering Trump allies into bad positions to provide testimony to torpedo Trump.

3. This was just some random testimony thrown out there that Trump's team has latched on to they can use to undermine Cassidy and set up reasonable doubt with any jury trial.

4. Cassidy is a plant by the Trump team to seed the Committee with testimony they can refute and use to undermine the Committee.

Regardless, no one I know that plans to vote for Trump views this January 6th Committee as anything other than one of the many political attacks on Trump from the time of the Russian Collusion trial to now. It's like a boy who cried wolf scenario at this point. The Democrats have put Trump on trial so often and attacked him so often that his followers are inured to any further attacks on Trump. It would seem the only people listening to these trials are those who already hate him and they would hate him regardless of whether this trial was occurring.

Perhaps you believe independents and swing voters are still listening. I don't know. Maybe they are. I know I'm personally tired of this guy. I already know he did a bunch of illegal crap. I think he should already be in jail or at least disqualified from running. This trial just adds to a long list of illegal crap Trump has done and gotten away with. Why he can do this in this country is the same reason why so many of these politicians can do this in this country including Dick Cheney, Bill Clinton, the Kennedys, the Bush Family and the like. Since they won't stop it for those guys, I guess they won't stop it for Trump.

So this Committee is unlikely to finish Trump off, so I gotta hope the Democrats win the Congress and/or some Republican can finish Trump off in the Republican primaries. Apparently the Democrats can't stick the final blow on this guy no matter what he does. The only way he's gonna lose his protection and support is if the Democrats take Congress and remove a major part of his protection or a Republican takes his nomination and thus returns him to the dust bin of history.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:24 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:With a Cheney involved and her dad likely advising her, a few reasons are why this play was made:

1. Cheney is a plant that is there to throw a wrench in the works of getting an actual conviction and see the testimony with lies mixed with truth so the propaganda machine can undermine witnesses.

2. This was a play by Cheney to get Secret Service agents under oath before the Committee. Seed the testimony with something they can refute, while getting them in front of the Committee under oath to hit them with other questions. Which if Dick Cheney is truly against Trump, he would not be beyond maneuvering Trump allies into bad positions to provide testimony to torpedo Trump.

3. This was just some random testimony thrown out there that Trump's team has latched on to they can use to undermine Cassidy and set up reasonable doubt with any jury trial.

4. Cassidy is a plant by the Trump team to seed the Committee with testimony they can refute and use to undermine the Committee.

Regardless, no one I know that plans to vote for Trump views this January 6th Committee as anything other than one of the many political attacks on Trump from the time of the Russian Collusion trial to now. It's like a boy who cried wolf scenario at this point. The Democrats have put Trump on trial so often and attacked him so often that his followers are inured to any further attacks on Trump. It would seem the only people listening to these trials are those who already hate him and they would hate him regardless of whether this trial was occurring.

Perhaps you believe independents and swing voters are still listening. I don't know. Maybe they are. I know I'm personally tired of this guy. I already know he did a bunch of illegal crap. I think he should already be in jail or at least disqualified from running. This trial just adds to a long list of illegal crap Trump has done and gotten away with. Why he can do this in this country is the same reason why so many of these politicians can do this in this country including Dick Cheney, Bill Clinton, the Kennedys, the Bush Family and the like. Since they won't stop it for those guys, I guess they won't stop it for Trump.

So this Committee is unlikely to finish Trump off, so I gotta hope the Democrats win the Congress and/or some Republican can finish Trump off in the Republican primaries. Apparently the Democrats can't stick the final blow on this guy no matter what he does. The only way he's gonna lose his protection and support is if the Democrats take Congress and remove a major part of his protection or a Republican takes his nomination and thus returns him to the dust bin of history.

Cheney is not the chairperson. She was put on the committee for one reason and one reason only: She was one of the very few House Republicans that had the courage to speak out against Trump and the Dems wanted her there to give the committee at least the appearance of being bipartisan. There are 7 Democrats and 2 Republicans on the committee. For all intents and purposes, it's the Democrats show. Nothing happens without their full approval.

I don't think that all or even a majority of the independent and swing voters are listening. But as I-5 pointed out, there are a lot of close elections in which Trump-backed candidates will be running and swaying just a few of them could make the difference in a close election. I'm for doing whatever it takes to rid ourselves of this scourge that Trump inflicted on this country, and defeating his lap dogs is one thing that will help achieve that goal. I also think there is some value to some of the testimony that we've heard, or at least it's opened my eyes. But I suffer from no allusions that it's going to result in anything that 'sticks' to Trump and the likelihood that it will influence any elections is remote, especially now.

That's why I'm so disappointed in the committee's handling of Ms. Hutchinson's testimony. I agree with I-5, she was a very powerful witness, handled herself extremely well, and came off as being very believable. The committee should never have let her testify to an event that she was not an eyewitness to and that was not a material part of the case they were trying to build. They had a golden opportunity to turn some heads that otherwise might have been skeptical, but now, they've given them a legitimate reason to doubt their findings.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:58 pm

RiverDog wrote:Cheney is not the chairperson. She was put on the committee for one reason and one reason only: She was one of the very few House Republicans that had the courage to speak out against Trump and the Dems wanted her there to give the committee at least the appearance of being bipartisan. There are 7 Democrats and 2 Republicans on the committee. For all intents and purposes, it's the Democrats show. Nothing happens without their full approval.

I don't think that all or even a majority of the independent and swing voters are listening. But as I-5 pointed out, there are a lot of close elections in which Trump-backed candidates will be running and swaying just a few of them could make the difference in a close election. I'm for doing whatever it takes to rid ourselves of this scourge that Trump inflicted on this country, and defeating his lap dogs is one thing that will help achieve that goal. I also think there is some value to some of the testimony that we've heard, or at least it's opened my eyes. But I suffer from no allusions that it's going to result in anything that 'sticks' to Trump and the likelihood that it will influence any elections is remote, especially now.

That's why I'm so disappointed in the committee's handling of Ms. Hutchinson's testimony. I agree with I-5, she was a very powerful witness, handled herself extremely well, and came off as being very believable. The committee should never have let her testify to an event that she was not an eyewitness to and that was not a material part of the case they were trying to build. They had a golden opportunity to turn some heads that otherwise might have been skeptical, but now, they've given them a legitimate reason to doubt their findings.

The only thing that's changed for me is Trump is more dangerous than I thought he would be. His grandstanding and yapping is part and parcel of the Trump brand. I did not think so many sycophants would follow him. I can't believe the Republicans want to hold power so badly that they prop up this piece of dung. That's where I heavily miscalculated.

It's very obvious many Republicans dislike this man including some powerful ones like Mitch McConnell. But apparently Mitch is so invested in the Republicans holding power, he'll do just anything to obtain it including back a man he obviously doesn't like or agree with.

I know you don't like conspiracies and I don't consider what I'm writing a conspiracy, but there must be some seriously powerful Republican money men behind the scenes protecting Trump to have the Republican Party as a whole rally around him. Guys with deep pockets who fund a lot of elections backing Trump up. Cheney and Romney obviously don't have to worry about the money men as Romney has enough money and is old enough to do what he wants at this point. Liz Cheney has her father and his connections, which are probably some of the few that could take Trump out if Cheney were a younger man still aligned with the Bush Family a their full strength. I read even one of the Koch Brothers isn't as keen on Trump any longer and they are huge Republican backers.

I'm wondering who these men are with this much pull protecting Trump from up on high. They must have some serious agenda that is being served to keep backing that narcissistic assclown and his constant whining and additional baggage. They must see an opportunity to flip the Senate and House back to Republican and possibly put Trump back in office to continue that agenda or I can't see them still providing the protection Trump has from the Republican Party as a whole.

Until that hope of a return to Republican power is dashed or transferred to another candidate, Trump will be protected. Which is why I'm hoping the Democrats either clearly take Congress or DeSantis can take him. It seems to be the only way the money men still backing him pull their support. I would bet money that they are the one's funding Republican campaigns across the nation with Trump backed candidates. These Republican power brokers aren't only interested in the presidency because they know they need Congress as well. These are the type of guys with so much money that when they call Mitch McConnell, he picks up. And when they say, "Mitch, you will continue to support Trump and protect him" Mitch says, "Yes, sir" even if he looks like he just ate excrement.

That is how I see it. These are guy it's hard to pin down pulling strings we don't see that need to have a reason to clip those strings and move support off Trump because he is a dead candidate for all intents and purposes and can no longer serve their agenda.

Because Trump certainly is not serving the agenda of middle or working class Americans. Their lives are no better under Trump than any other president. But he was making a lot of wealthy folk a ton of cash with his tax policies and deregulation. I'm sure they want that back and it's within reach if the Democrats can't hold the House and take the Senate. That is the agenda they are playing for at the moment.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:04 am

Riv, not indicting Trump would be far worse than not getting him convicted, and I’ll tell you. If you don’t indict him, you’re announcing to all future POTUSes that you don’t have to participate in a peaceful transition of power, and it will be just fine since we let this guy do it. Why shouldn’t the next guy/gal do the same exact thing?

And asf, I never predicted that he would be indicted. No one knows if the DOJ will. Your timeline is your own invention; I don’t have a single idea about the timing nos would I care to guess
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:56 am

I-5 wrote:And asf, I never predicted that he would be indicted. No one knows if the DOJ will. Your timeline is your own invention; I don’t have a single idea about the timing nos would I care to guess

My timeline is not my own invention. Democrats keep saying this guy will get indicted, convicted, or what not. I see people on CNN all the time claiming this for the past six years. I could pull up a bunch of threads with people thinking they finally got Trump. People been saying it for six years now from Democrats to news stations to Republicans that hate Trump. I'm wondering what the time line is this time. I guess for you, there isn't one. As near as you can see it, you might see this guy running again in 2024 and holding power as long as he's alive.

I don't know what will happen with this guy either. No one really on either side seems to be able to predict Trump, not even professional pollsters. He's some wild card that will be there until he's not.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:52 am

I-5 wrote:Riv, not indicting Trump would be far worse than not getting him convicted, and I’ll tell you. If you don’t indict him, you’re announcing to all future POTUSes that you don’t have to participate in a peaceful transition of power, and it will be just fine since we let this guy do it. Why shouldn’t the next guy/gal do the same exact thing?

And asf, I never predicted that he would be indicted. No one knows if the DOJ will. Your timeline is your own invention; I don’t have a single idea about the timing nos would I care to guess

That's one POV. Personally, I think Trump is an outlier. I don't see anyone else with the combination of narcissism, moral and ethical indecency, and money that Trump has. I don't think he's the start of a movement. I don't accept the premise that not indicting this man would motivate others to follow Trump's lead.

If you could guarantee me that it would be better to indict Trump, knowing that you're not going to get him, allow him to stay in the news cycle 24/7 with the possibility of giving him the attention he craves and the martyr he could represent to his followers, would be the best way to end this scourge, I'd be all for it. But I simply don't know.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:06 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I know you don't like conspiracies and I don't consider what I'm writing a conspiracy, but there must be some seriously powerful Republican money men behind the scenes protecting Trump to have the Republican Party as a whole rally around him. Guys with deep pockets who fund a lot of elections backing Trump up. Cheney and Romney obviously don't have to worry about the money men as Romney has enough money and is old enough to do what he wants at this point. Liz Cheney has her father and his connections, which are probably some of the few that could take Trump out if Cheney were a younger man still aligned with the Bush Family a their full strength. I read even one of the Koch Brothers isn't as keen on Trump any longer and they are huge Republican backers.

I'm wondering who these men are with this much pull protecting Trump from up on high. They must have some serious agenda that is being served to keep backing that narcissistic assclown and his constant whining and additional baggage. They must see an opportunity to flip the Senate and House back to Republican and possibly put Trump back in office to continue that agenda or I can't see them still providing the protection Trump has from the Republican Party as a whole.

You're right, I don't like conspiracy theories, mainly because they're not fact based, but also because they just don't pass the smell test. Trying to hide the billions of dollars and keep the hundreds if not thousands of people that would have to cooperate quiet about it in this current environment of cell phone cameras and instant communication is akin to trying to hide an elephant in a closet. If the most powerful man in the world can't keep what goes on in his office quiet, how do you expect lesser individuals to pull it off?

Americans have naturally conspiratorial minds. We've been raised on James Bond movies, Mission Impossible, the Man From UNCLE, and so on. It's caused a confusion between fantasy and reality. We can't accept the simple fact that sometimes, chit happens, that perfect storms just don't happen, rather that it has to be the result of some type of evil, unscrupulous plot. Our minds require a powerful, God-like villain, some Wizard of Oz behind the curtains working levers and throwing switches.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Until that hope of a return to Republican power is dashed or transferred to another candidate, Trump will be protected. Which is why I'm hoping the Democrats either clearly take Congress or DeSantis can take him. It seems to be the only way the money men still backing him pull their support. I would bet money that they are the one's funding Republican campaigns across the nation with Trump backed candidates. These Republican power brokers aren't only interested in the presidency because they know they need Congress as well. These are the type of guys with so much money that when they call Mitch McConnell, he picks up. And when they say, "Mitch, you will continue to support Trump and protect him" Mitch says, "Yes, sir" even if he looks like he just ate excrement.

That is how I see it. These are guy it's hard to pin down pulling strings we don't see that need to have a reason to clip those strings and move support off Trump because he is a dead candidate for all intents and purposes and can no longer serve their agenda.

Because Trump certainly is not serving the agenda of middle or working class Americans. Their lives are no better under Trump than any other president. But he was making a lot of wealthy folk a ton of cash with his tax policies and deregulation. I'm sure they want that back and it's within reach if the Democrats can't hold the House and take the Senate. That is the agenda they are playing for at the moment.

I pretty much agree. Inside the halls, I can't see people like McConnell and other Republicans liking Trump. They have to know that he'd throw any one of them under the bus if they so much as disagree with him over where to have lunch. They like the fact that he's popular with a large number of voters and they realize that their political futures are nill unless they support him in some manner. That's what I like about Liz Cheney. Say what you want about her old man, but she has made a moral decision to sacrifice her political career in order to confront this evil and despicable man.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:04 am

The Republicans will follow anyone who can get them into power no matter what destruction it wreaks on the country or constitution.
They'd follow the Devil himself if it means they reach their goal. Hell, I'm not religious, but Trump is probably the closest thing to the Antichrist that we will see in our lifetime.
The great deceiver who people blindly follow to the detriment of the rest of the country and free world.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:36 am

Speaking of wreaking destruction on this country how about fuel prices doubling, inflation at over 8%, food inflation at 17%, defund the police, failed foreign policy, CRT indoctrination in public schools, drag shows for children. Yep, no Devil here…….
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:21 pm

RiverDog wrote:You're right, I don't like conspiracy theories, mainly because they're not fact based, but also because they just don't pass the smell test. Trying to hide the billions of dollars and keep the hundreds if not thousands of people that would have to cooperate quiet about it in this current environment of cell phone cameras and instant communication is akin to trying to hide an elephant in a closet. If the most powerful man in the world can't keep what goes on in his office quiet, how do you expect lesser individuals to pull it off?

Americans have naturally conspiratorial minds. We've been raised on James Bond movies, Mission Impossible, the Man From UNCLE, and so on. It's caused a confusion between fantasy and reality. We can't accept the simple fact that sometimes, chit happens, that perfect storms just don't happen, rather that it has to be the result of some type of evil, unscrupulous plot. Our minds require a powerful, God-like villain, some Wizard of Oz behind the curtains working levers and throwing switches.

The problem with conspiracies is they can be true and some have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. You watched them in your lifetime. You watched Watergate, Iran Contra, and the like. You even watched a film showing an illegal conspiracy that wasn't caught arming Afghan freedom fighters. We also know the C.I.A. runs something called Black Ops, some which have been documented, that are off the books operations of questionable legality that have been allowed things like drugs run into America. You've seen Ponzi schemes caught. And tons of other conspiracties.

I don't know why you think for every conspiracy caught, there are others likely to have succeeded without being caught. You can only catch so many.

Crime itself would not exist were there not successful conspiracies.

I can agree some the whacky conspiracies are hard to swallow. Some people create far too complex conspiracies that have too many holes in them.

But to say conspiracies do not happen and on an immense scale is to live as a fool because the number of documented conspiracies that were caught years later are many. Even conspiracies of questionable legality occur all the time to the point that the conspirators have the power to simply adjust the laws to allow their conspiracy to continue.

I even see the drone assassination program we run as a conspiracy of questionable ethics and legality. But it was built without our consent. We do not have access to their target list. The deaths are signed off on by our president after review in secret courts before we deploy drone technology to conduct assassinations that would be highly illegal in America.

I know you don't want to walk around paranoid all the time. I even know why as it would make you highly uncomfortable and disrupt your life. But conspiracies are very real. Done all the time. Many are highly successful. The people doing them are so powerful they can literally change the laws themselves to allow their conspiracies to carry through. They do pay for this.

That includes the men who fund Republican campaigns across this nation. They pay hundreds of millions of dollars to influence elections. They expect a return on investment. Trump may have damaged his investability. https://www.salon.com/2022/06/20/24-down-the-tubes-hes-losing-big-donors-to-ron-desantis-report_partner/ Which could help DeSantis take the primaries from him. We shall see as it gets closer. DeSantis is not Trump. He's much smarter and less egotistical. At this point, we need someone to steer the Republican Party back to sanity that can pull the votes and take the lead from the Narcissist.

I pretty much agree. Inside the halls, I can't see people like McConnell and other Republicans liking Trump. They have to know that he'd throw any one of them under the bus if they so much as disagree with him over where to have lunch. They like the fact that he's popular with a large number of voters and they realize that their political futures are nill unless they support him in some manner. That's what I like about Liz Cheney. Say what you want about her old man, but she has made a moral decision to sacrifice her political career in order to confront this evil and despicable man.

Elections, especially presidential elections, are massive investments for quite a few wealthy folk. So if they got a winner, they want to ride them as long as they can. It's not a conspiracy, it's just business. It has been this way for a long time. And will remain so. Too much at stake for men of power to allow something as important as government elections to proceed unguided.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:45 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:The problem with conspiracies is they can be true and some have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. You watched them in your lifetime. You watched Watergate, Iran Contra, and the like. You even watched a film showing an illegal conspiracy that wasn't caught arming Afghan freedom fighters. We also know the C.I.A. runs something called Black Ops, some which have been documented, that are off the books operations of questionable legality that have been allowed things like drugs run into America. You've seen Ponzi schemes caught. And tons of other conspiracties.

I don't know why you think for every conspiracy caught, there are others likely to have succeeded without being caught. You can only catch so many.

Crime itself would not exist were there not successful conspiracies.

I can agree some the whacky conspiracies are hard to swallow. Some people create far too complex conspiracies that have too many holes in them.

But to say conspiracies do not happen and on an immense scale is to live as a fool because the number of documented conspiracies that were caught years later are many. Even conspiracies of questionable legality occur all the time to the point that the conspirators have the power to simply adjust the laws to allow their conspiracy to continue.

I even see the drone assassination program we run as a conspiracy of questionable ethics and legality. But it was built without our consent. We do not have access to their target list. The deaths are signed off on by our president after review in secret courts before we deploy drone technology to conduct assassinations that would be highly illegal in America.

I know you don't want to walk around paranoid all the time. I even know why as it would make you highly uncomfortable and disrupt your life. But conspiracies are very real. Done all the time. Many are highly successful. The people doing them are so powerful they can literally change the laws themselves to allow their conspiracies to carry through. They do pay for this.

That includes the men who fund Republican campaigns across this nation. They pay hundreds of millions of dollars to influence elections. They expect a return on investment. Trump may have damaged his investability. https://www.salon.com/2022/06/20/24-down-the-tubes-hes-losing-big-donors-to-ron-desantis-report_partner/ Which could help DeSantis take the primaries from him. We shall see as it gets closer. DeSantis is not Trump. He's much smarter and less egotistical. At this point, we need someone to steer the Republican Party back to sanity that can pull the votes and take the lead from the Narcissist.

I never regarded Watergate and Iran Contra as 'conspiracy theories'. There was a lot of fact based information prior to the stories breaking into the national headlines that pointed to illegal activities. They show just how difficult it is to keep things like that secret.

Here's a list of some of the conspiracy theories I've heard over the years that are based on pure speculation: Kennedy had Marylin Monroe drugged and killed. Elvis lives. JFK was still alive, his wife married Aristotle Onassis so as to keep him hid in secrecy. The Apollo moon landings were faked. The CIA imploded the World Trade Center towers on 9/11. George Bush blew up the levees in New Orleans during Katrina. Operation Tailwind. The Bush-Texas Air National Guard. And, of course, there are literally dozens of JFK assassination conspiracies, every one of which runs into a fatal objection that is a deal breaker.

I'm not saying that I don't believe in 'any' conspiracy theory. It's just that I'm a little tougher sell than these people that will sign on to anything that's sexy, that appeals to their romantism, that latch onto any rumor or gossip, the people that used to buy tabloid magazines like the National Enquirer.

Does the CIA engage in black operations? Of course, they do. I used to play racquetball with a CIA operative who had spent several years in Afghanistan harassing the Soviets. I also played RB with a former Air Force colonel that worked for the black division at Battelle Northwest here in Richland and had gone to Russia immediately after the collapse of the Soviet Union on a mission to locate Soviet scientists before they could be tempted to go to work for Iran, similar to our rounding up German rocket scientists at the end of WW2. Most of those missions have an honorable goal. Some, like Iran-Contra, exceed their authority and run afoul of the law. There are scores of others, like our assassination of the South Vietnamese President that occurred under JFK, the Bay of Pigs, and so on. They couldn't keep those secret because they were too big. Some are laughable, like giving Castro an exploding cigar. The CIA learned some valuable lessons from back in the '60's, to keep their operations small and under the radar. They do not engage in large scale operations with unworthy goals as you are suggesting.

I understand that there are operations that are ongoing that would be a huge scandal should they break. But for the most part, they are very limited in scope and require just a handful of people to keep secret. The things you're talking about would require the cooperation of hundreds, if not thousands. Those are what I don't believe in unless you can give me some sort of proof. Like I said, hiding billions of dollars and securing the cooperation of hundreds of people is like trying to hide an elephant in a closet.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:18 pm

RiverDog wrote:I never regarded Watergate and Iran Contra as 'conspiracy theories'. There was a lot of fact based information prior to the stories breaking into the national headlines that pointed to illegal activities. They show just how difficult it is to keep things like that secret.

Here's a list of some of the conspiracy theories I've heard over the years that are based on pure speculation: Kennedy had Marylin Monroe drugged and killed. Elvis lives. JFK was still alive, his wife married Aristotle Onassis so as to keep him hid in secrecy. The Apollo moon landings were faked. The CIA imploded the World Trade Center towers on 9/11. George Bush blew up the levees in New Orleans during Katrina. Operation Tailwind. The Bush-Texas Air National Guard. And, of course, there are literally dozens of JFK assassination conspiracies, every one of which runs into a fatal objection that is a deal breaker.

I'm not saying that I don't believe in 'any' conspiracy theory. It's just that I'm a little tougher sell than these people that will sign on to anything that's sexy, that appeals to their romantism, that latch onto any rumor or gossip, the people that used to buy tabloid magazines like the National Enquirer.

Does the CIA engage in black operations? Of course, they do. I used to play racquetball with a CIA operative who had spent several years in Afghanistan harassing the Soviets. I also played RB with a former Air Force colonel that worked for the black division at Battelle Northwest here in Richland and had gone to Russia immediately after the collapse of the Soviet Union on a mission to locate Soviet scientists before they could be tempted to go to work for Iran, similar to our rounding up German rocket scientists at the end of WW2. Most of those missions have an honorable goal. Some, like Iran-Contra, exceed their authority and run afoul of the law. There are scores of others, like our assassination of the South Vietnamese President that occurred under JFK, the Bay of Pigs, and so on. They couldn't keep those secret because they were too big. Some are laughable, like giving Castro an exploding cigar. The CIA learned some valuable lessons from back in the '60's, to keep their operations small and under the radar. They do not engage in large scale operations with unworthy goals as you are suggesting.

I understand that there are operations that are ongoing that would be a huge scandal should they break. But for the most part, they are very limited in scope and require just a handful of people to keep secret. The things you're talking about would require the cooperation of hundreds, if not thousands. Those are what I don't believe in unless you can give me some sort of proof. Like I said, hiding billions of dollars and securing the cooperation of hundreds of people is like trying to hide an elephant in a closet.

Some of the conspiracy theories are whacky.

The ones I'm talking about are pretty far from requiring the cooperation of thousands. Guys funding elections and misinformation campaigns happens all the time. There are money men backing Trump that control elections as much as they can be controlled. Russia and other nations would not invest so much in election manipulating misinformation campaigns if they were not effective.

The point I'm arguing is some powerful people are protecting Trump. It's not the obvious ones you see all the time. It's guys who fund a lot of elections nationwide. Very deep pockets. The guys who fund Super PACs and pay for TV and media spots. Guys like Peter Thiel, the Kochs, and other billionaires who fund elections nationally and locally. They gotta pull that support off Trump and for that to happen he has to be a dead candidate. I only see that occurring a few ways which I've stated: Democrats win Congress or he is unseated by another Republican.

It is not regular citizens protecting Trump or writing their local Congressman to stand up for Trump. It is money folks who coordinate within the Republican Party strategy that still see Trump as a winner and still see Congress in play. They don't give a flying crap about America as long as they get what they want, likely continued lower taxes and business deregulation. As you have seen with several Trump associates, they are more than willing to walk the line on legality to get this done.

That's the reality I see right now on how to beat Trump and get rid of him. I don't think that's too much of a conspiracy theory as any even basic reading on elections indicates this is how it is run for both parties. The main thing is it's harder to see the men with the money and power to push this unless you go looking deeper than the surface. They don't like being on the radar, but you can be damn sure that Republicans in power answer their calls. They are the one driving the agenda while throwing bones with most of the meat off to the common voter. They want bigger things done that only handful of people would even comprehend if they dug deeper on spending bills and law changes that benefit these folks.

I'm hoping that support from Trump gets pulled soon if he's a dead candidate.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:06 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Some of the conspiracy theories are whacky.

The ones I'm talking about are pretty far from requiring the cooperation of thousands. Guys funding elections and misinformation campaigns happens all the time. There are money men backing Trump that control elections as much as they can be controlled. Russia and other nations would not invest so much in election manipulating misinformation campaigns if they were not effective.

The point I'm arguing is some powerful people are protecting Trump. It's not the obvious ones you see all the time. It's guys who fund a lot of elections nationwide. Very deep pockets. The guys who fund Super PACs and pay for TV and media spots. Guys like Peter Thiel, the Kochs, and other billionaires who fund elections nationally and locally. They gotta pull that support off Trump and for that to happen he has to be a dead candidate. I only see that occurring a few ways which I've stated: Democrats win Congress or he is unseated by another Republican.

It is not regular citizens protecting Trump or writing their local Congressman to stand up for Trump. It is money folks who coordinate within the Republican Party strategy that still see Trump as a winner and still see Congress in play. They don't give a flying crap about America as long as they get what they want, likely continued lower taxes and business deregulation. As you have seen with several Trump associates, they are more than willing to walk the line on legality to get this done.

That's the reality I see right now on how to beat Trump and get rid of him. I don't think that's too much of a conspiracy theory as any even basic reading on elections indicates this is how it is run for both parties. The main thing is it's harder to see the men with the money and power to push this unless you go looking deeper than the surface. They don't like being on the radar, but you can be damn sure that Republicans in power answer their calls. They are the one driving the agenda while throwing bones with most of the meat off to the common voter. They want bigger things done that only handful of people would even comprehend if they dug deeper on spending bills and law changes that benefit these folks.

I'm hoping that support from Trump gets pulled soon if he's a dead candidate.

What I object to is theories that are based on nothing but pure supposition based on the ability of a person or organization to do something (drone assassinations, mind altering drugs, etc) and make the jump from a random possibility to what they claim to be a viable hypothesis to explain certain events without any direct evidence other than circumstantial. "Prove that it can't happen" is an argument that I hear used all the time. They do not take any responsibility for the burden of proof. They tend to focus in on just one or two of the three elements of a crime, ie means, motive, and opportunity, and fail to complete the circuit.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:50 am

RiverDog wrote:What I object to is theories that are based on nothing but pure supposition based on the ability of a person or organization to do something (drone assassinations, mind altering drugs, etc) and make the jump from a random possibility to what they claim to be a viable hypothesis to explain certain events without any direct evidence other than circumstantial. "Prove that it can't happen" is an argument that I hear used all the time. They do not take any responsibility for the burden of proof. They tend to focus in on just one or two of the three elements of a crime, ie means, motive, and opportunity, and fail to complete the circuit.

Drone assassinations are not speculation. It is occurring. Did you give consent for it? Did I give consent for it? Do you think drone assassinations conducted by secret courts are a ok? No moral or ethical problems with them? How is that not a something of questionable legality and ethics that was put in place by powerful people to pursue their interests under the guise of protecting the United States that we don't truly know is used strictly for this.

My point is do you simply buy everything sold to you and trust it is being used responsibly? Or do you question the ethics and moral responsibility of something you see as something open to gross abuse? Do you question this possible gross abuse when you see it occurring rather than wait until after people have been wrongly murdered and it is proven so years later?

At the moment we do not have information on the targets of the drone assassination program. Same as C.I.A. black operations. Or much of what is done in our name internationally paid for by our tax dollars.

You ask for this "Prove it can't happen" without stating has anyone even proved these programs are necessary for our safety? Who approved them? What is the oversight?

I understand why you choose to live in the dark. That is why so many of these conspiracies are so effective. They know that as long as they do not disrupt the lives of regular Americans or citizens, they can mostly do what they want. Same as the monitoring we talked about can be conducted on a world scale and is known to be continuous conducted is not generally allowed at home by our agencies, even why foreign governments conduct these operations on us all the time stealing our data, hacking our information, and tracking what goes on here.

The proof is open. It's there for you to see. Most of the best conspiracies are done right in front of Americans, in the open, but they don't have the moral will or desire to resist them. That's fine. I get it. It's far easier if these activities are ignored than to really spend energy to question the ethics of if something is right. The powerful rely on this aspect of human nature to do what they do. They are definitely conspiracies of questionable legality and ethics that we would never allow in our own nation for ethical and legal reasons. But we Americans don't like to apply the same moral reasoning when it comes to outside the country even when we cannot be sure.

It is well documented that the war we supported between Iraq and Iran led to a million deaths. It is well documented we encouraged Saddam to this war as part of our world manipulating philosophy at the time. But because America kept the majority of the issues outside of the nation, we ignored it until the Iran-Contra Scandal which was already after the damage had been done. The number of people that suffered any consequences for selling weapons to another nation that led to the deaths of tens of thousands of people was minimal at best.

It was a conspiracy caught long after the most dangerous parts of it were already completed with minimal fallout to the people involved and they were once again protected by powerful people within the government likely in both parties.

This is all documented. Even with proof that you requested, the legal blowback on the powerful was minimal because enough people provided protection to the main decision makers or hid it from the main decision makers if you so believe. Either way Iran-Contra was a mostly successful conspiracy for which Americans suffered minimal punishment for the deaths of thousands.

I don't understand why you think because a conspiracy is caught it was not already successful and if the blowback on Americans, especially powerful Americans, is minimal, then why not continue to do it? Regular Americans like you or I can't stop them too often. Closest we got is what? Nixon? Jeffrey Epstein was stopped after he already did much of his damage and had his fun. But who else was caught with him? Maxwell? Almost none of his clients are going down. Do you think they don't exist? Or they are well protected and will never stand trial even though I'm pretty sure even you can see that Epstein had a lot of rich and powerful clients.

There have been a lot of conspiracies even in your life time which are successful even if you learn about them later. That very few if any suffer the consequence for partaking in. It's fine if you want to ignore them. It's better for your sanity.

Me? I've decided that conspiracies are real. Some theories are whacky and I don't see them as true. But quite a few are real, often done right in front of us, and even if we objected they would just ignore us unless we had enough of a critical mass to force them to listen. Which few people can accomplish. I don't plan to unravel my sanity like some to try to resist every conspiracy that is questionable or legal origin. It would take up too much of my life and time as too many people are engaged in them on a small and large level. Even a group of workers covering for each other at a fast food restaurant to steal food is a small conspiracy up to a group of powerful government workers who use a drone assassination program to ostensibly protect the United States while getting fed enemies from their Saudi Arabian allies to work in a few kills that help the political position of Saudi Arabia. If we don't find out until years later, oh well. Milk is spilled and we can't do much about it any way.

So keep your sanity and don't think too much about conspiracy theories or conspiracies. You'll be better off for it.

But don't sell me this stuff isn't documented. It's documented. The proof has been provided. The people who made the decisions are often well-protected and suffer minimal consequences. That part is also documented. Powerful folks in this world are always engaged in some conspiracies and are far more successful at them than you think or they wouldn't keep doing them.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic