What do you think will really take Trump down?

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

How will Trump's political power end?

Trump will die.
33%
Trump will be imprisoned for a crime.
33%
Trump will be indicted, avoid prison time, but it will be enough to stop him from running again due to his unpopularity.
17%
Trump will make a deal to avoid jail time that will stop him from running for office.
No votes
Democrats will take Congress and have enough power to impeach and remove Trump if he should run and win again.
17%
Trump will run again in 2024 and lose finally sealing him as a loser that Republicans will no longer support.
No votes
Trump will run in 2024 and win.
No votes
Another Republican will win the 2024 nomination and finally focus the Republican Party on someone else.
No votes
The power brokers in the Republican Party turn on Trump to oust him from a 2024 run.
No votes
Other (State in comments)
No votes

Total votes : 6

Re: What do you think will really take Trump down?

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:57 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:What do you think will really take Trump down?

What, nobody said Alex Jones' emails and texts? Evidently they are the only texts that didn't get deleted that week ... thank god for incompetent lawyers sending 2 years of downloaded cell phone to the wrong side!

That would be funny and unforeseen. I would laugh my ass off if that was what took Trump down.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:05 pm

It would be a positively Shakespearian irony!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:12 am

What, nobody said Alex Jones' emails and texts? Evidently they are the only texts that didn't get deleted that week ... thank god for incompetent lawyers sending 2 years of downloaded cell phone to the wrong side!

It almost makes one wonder if the Lawyers (or maybe just one of them) realized Jones is such a scumbag that they did it on purpose.
It would be bad for their career, but what he's done to those people for money and fame is just sickening.

Did I hear that the Jan 6th committee is going to subpoena his phone records? Was Jones in the loop with what was going on in the White House and the attempted coup/insurrection?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:13 am

NorthHawk wrote:It almost makes one wonder if the Lawyers (or maybe just one of them) realized Jones is such a scumbag that they did it on purpose.
It would be bad for their career, but what he's done to those people for money and fame is just sickening.

There is a law that the prosecutors have to inform the defense of receipt of such ostensibly unintended information and are not allowed to use said information for 10 days, to give the defense time to adjust their strategies. That was done and Jones' lawyers still did not tell him the other side had this information, which led him to continue to lie on the witness stand and allowed for that straight out of Hollywood "gotcha" moment during trial. It would sure seem at least that there were an intentional element involved on someone's part! Of course it does give him an appeal avenue on the grounds of incompetent representation ...
NorthHawk wrote:Did I hear that the Jan 6th committee is going to subpoena his phone records? Was Jones in the loop with what was going on in the White House and the attempted coup/insurrection?

Yes, they have subpoenaed those file and yes, Jones was heavily involved in what went on in the insurrection.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:39 am

Thank you.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:42 am

Any time.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:23 pm

The Trump years is going to make for one crazy movie someday.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:12 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:The Trump years is going to make for one crazy movie someday.

Whatever is portrayed in the movie will probably never rival the bat#$% that really went down. It's the grandest reality TV show ever. Maybe Trump is playing the whole world...
I-5
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:19 pm

curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:35 pm

Sounds like Trump's Republican backing is eroding. We'll see how far it goes.

I would not be surprised at all if Dick Cheney pulled a ton of Republican support away from Trump behind the scenes. Cheney is actively against Trump now. That old man is mean.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:52 pm

Even I didn’t expect this. FBI executes a search at Mar-a-Lago. Of course Trump says it’s unnecessary, but we all know that for the FBI to obtain a search warrant, it means a federal judge has agreed there is probable cause. I believe this is a first for a former POTUS. Is it?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-says-mar-lago-home-was-raided-large-group-fbi-agents-rcna42133
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:01 pm

Trump loves firsts.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:32 pm

I didn’t expect it but glad it happened. As I said at the time Trump is evil and criminal and has no business being within 1000 miles of power . They better wear bullet proof vests and keep their head on a swivel . There are countries where trump would already be dead by firing squad for what is publicly known .it’s astounding to me he has any support at this point .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:35 pm

HT, we all know when it comes to his die hards, they believe in Trump more than he himself does. Everything is a ‘witch hunt’, ‘kangaroo court’ regardless of evidence to the contrary. Trump was right when he said he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and get away with it - with his people that is. Things don’t usually go well for those who are raided by the FBI.

In yet another story, Manafort finally admits giving privileged info to a Russian agent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/paul-manafort-russia-polling-data-b2140727.html
I-5
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:02 pm

Not sure about the odds of Trump going to jail yet, but the odds of him being able to run for office potentially took a hit, depending on what the FBI found in their search of Mar-a-Lago today.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2071
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:55 am

I'm not surprised about the accusations, that Trump took classified documents. It's very believable. It dove tails with rumors that came out of the White House about his disregard and mishandling of classified material. The rumor was that they quit giving him daily security briefings because they'd find them in a waste basket. It was common knowledge that they had to 'dumb down' the briefings because he didn't like to read. This action supports those rumors.

He deserves to be behind bars, but he won't serve a day. As a matter of fact, I expect him to announce very shortly that he's running for POTUS again in 2024. The nightmare continues.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:01 am

Biden’s FBI, DHS, IRS, et al must now aggressively gulag political dissenters, the unvaccinated, domestic terrorists, insurrectionists and white supremacists. Before it hits the fan…….
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:02 am

curmudgeon wrote:Biden’s FBI, DHS, IRS, et al must now aggressively gulag political dissenters, the unvaccinated, domestic terrorists, insurrectionists and white supremacists. Before it hits the fan…….

It’s almost as if laws matter, ie inciting violence on government property, removing classified files from the white house, etc
I-5
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:26 am

Yeah for all the "lock her up" screaming he did about Hillary's emails he sure played fast and loose with those same statutes himself didn't he? By orders of magnitude even.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:21 pm

curmudgeon wrote:Biden’s FBI, DHS, IRS, et al must now aggressively gulag political dissenters, the unvaccinated, domestic terrorists, insurrectionists and white supremacists. Before it hits the fan…….

I can't believe you still buy this. You should want both Hilary and Trump and Hunter Biden and all these clowns taken down.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:56 pm

I keep seeing this meme about Jan 6” what I remember was gas was 2 bucks , inflation was tame etc etc . I wonder how Brian Stetnicks widow feels or these 148 other cops injured or even the families of 4 rioters who buried their loved ones . Families of the cops who committed suicide in the following days .

Joe Biden is a befuddled old man with very little left in the tank . He should resign or be removed by his own party under the 25th amendment much as trump should have .
But it’s a separate issue . Biden is not evil, not bent on destroying our faith in elections . He knows Russia isn’t our buddy and I understood it long ago which is why I screamed bloody murder about trumps relationship with the most evil dangerous man on the planet . Caught a lot of flack right here for being 100% correct .

What did Manafort give Russia ? What did Trump give them? There were those within his adminstration such as Dan Coates who have said they thought he might be a Russian asset due to blackmail. In light of what’s happened with Putin in Ukraine it’s really informative to look at what he did late in his term in terms of troop movements . Specifically drawing an inherited force of 14500 in Afghanistan down to 2500 with the last 2500 withdrawn on Jan 15 leaving Biden with a signed withdrawal agreement and not enough troops to do it safely . Biden walked right into the trap but it was one of several set by a man who says MAGA but sold america down the river .

Put me on the firing squad . He’s a traitor at the highest pinnacle of power . He shouldn’t see the light of day the rest of his life . I applaud the stones of the Garland adminstration to take him on . He will be indicted in Georgia I believe . Imo this guy is such a criminal the dominoes will start to fall .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:57 pm

Trump should suffer the consequences of his scumbaggery. The Georgia phone call alone was illegal and sounded like some mafia boss trying to pressure a DA. Surprised anyone defended that. Trump deserves to fall, so do a lot of these politicians. They been holding themselves above the law for too long. Time for the American people to send a message and hold some people accountable and send a message to future presidents and politicians as well.

I hope they can manage it and make sure not only Trump suffers, but any future president or politician gets the message that we're tired of their games.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:34 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Trump should suffer the consequences of his scumbaggery. The Georgia phone call alone was illegal and sounded like some mafia boss trying to pressure a DA. Surprised anyone defended that. Trump deserves to fall, so do a lot of these politicians. They been holding themselves above the law for too long. Time for the American people to send a message and hold some people accountable and send a message to future presidents and politicians as well.

I hope they can manage it and make sure not only Trump suffers, but any future president or politician gets the message that we're tired of their games.

I want my damn party back . I want my parents party back and they were lifelong Dems . I don’t recognize most of my partu and they surely would not theirs either .

But Trump took the office to a level of criminality that is beyond Nixon by far . If he gets away with it we’re a bananas republic . I hope these idiot republicans rushing to defend him pay the price . I
Prefer more Republican policies then not but trump needs a silver bullet .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:08 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I want my damn party back . I want my parents party back and they were lifelong Dems . I don’t recognize most of my partu and they surely would not theirs either .

But Trump took the office to a level of criminality that is beyond Nixon by far . If he gets away with it we’re a bananas republic . I hope these idiot republicans rushing to defend him pay the price . I
Prefer more Republican policies then not but trump needs a silver bullet .

The American people have been letting American politicians slide for far too long dating back to Nixon and likely before. If the people do not hold these people accountable based on party affiliation, then they will just keep getting away with this trash. It needs to stop for all of them. If Trump is the lightning rod to make that happen, then so be it.

But if this is just another partisan game, then I don't expect much to change other than politicians continuing to not be as stupid as Trump. Trump's biggest crime is being too stupid to know better than to keep things quiet and put on a good face while you're doing all this scumbag stuff. Look at how long it took for anyone to notice all the money Pelosi's husband was making money trading stocks based on inside Congressional info? Nancy knows how to keep things quiet. As did Clinton. And Bush Jr. And Cheney. And Biden. And Hunter Biden was doing scumbag crap for years, but his father knew how to keep it quiet.

But dumbass Trump don't know how to work in Washington D.C. He's too openly dumb and does all his trash too openly because no one really wants him there in either party. He's like the rude, crass idiot who wants to join the party, but no one really wants him at the party because he doesn't know how to party in D.C.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:22 pm

About half the people in his party want him . But he’s the bogeyman , the democrats best hope . It’s a cult like following so intense I have intelligent lifetime friends who support him who are following every midterm primary like a hawk to see if his candidate won . He’s the Republican party’s albatross , Waterloo . He delivered Joe Biden simply because he wasn’t Trump . He lost the house and senate . He’s got the same 6-3 court any Republican would have had and they would be halfway through their second term right now . They better figure out the only thing worse than beating a dead horse is betting on one . Go justice ! Go FBI! Go Georgia! Take him out
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:57 pm

Hawktawk wrote:About half the people in his party want him . But he’s the bogeyman , the democrats best hope . It’s a cult like following so intense I have intelligent lifetime friends who support him who are following every midterm primary like a hawk to see if his candidate won . He’s the Republican party’s albatross , Waterloo . He delivered Joe Biden simply because he wasn’t Trump . He lost the house and senate . He’s got the same 6-3 court any Republican would have had and they would be halfway through their second term right now . They better figure out the only thing worse than beating a dead horse is betting on one . Go justice ! Go FBI! Go Georgia! Take him out

I argued with a guy today who pretended that Georgia phone call never happened. He keeps attributing all this to Democrats doing things he views as illegal and bad for the country. I can't argue much with him because they do.

Democrats keep pretending they don't do this totally crazy crap like not being hard on crime, letting cities reach a level of decrepitude where homeless are crapping in the streets, and generally engaging in terrible policies that make them willing to tolerate what Trump does.

What excuses do your friends use? My friends always use the same garbage "Lesser of two evils" and it's just reaching the point where if all you got left is evil, then your government is evil. It should not be this way where you're picking candidates by "lesser of two evils" and tolerating leaders who leave the country in a bad state. It's not a good way to run a nation at all.

Really, I would like to hear what your friends tell you as their excuse. I would imagine it is similar to my friends who simply view the Democrats as worse than Trump for very legitimate reasons it's hard to argue against.

When you have Democrats claiming taking over city blocks and the damage done by protesters during the BLM movement as no big deal, how do you argue that January 6th was a big deal? The Democrats can't hide what they did. If you walked around Seattle, you saw the damage with your own eyes. You know who it was done by. You don't understand why it was tolerated.

When these parties continue to make excuses for bad behavior along party lines, how the hell do you hold people accountable or have a common standard for terrible behavior?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:50 pm

My best friend on the planet is an unshakable trump fan . He supported Jan 6, compared it to Floyd riots only not nearly as bad . He thinks trump got swindled along with about 60% of the party and as such he thinks everything is fair game . He’s a retired 62 year old multimillionaire who is primarily a checkbook driven voter although he bought in to all the racist bashing of minorities and religious minorities. It’s hard but honestly I’m the one that’s changed . Dale is my brother . Just watched him get married at the stratosphere in Vegas , longest stretch I’ve ever been in to get there . He’s done so much for me, been so loyal I’ll love him forever .
But I detest trump for what he did to him. It’s like a spell.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:10 pm

Hawktawk wrote:My best friend on the planet is an unshakable trump fan . He supported Jan 6, compared it to Floyd riots only not nearly as bad . He thinks trump got swindled along with about 60% of the party and as such he thinks everything is fair game . He’s a retired 62 year old multimillionaire who is primarily a checkbook driven voter although he bought in to all the racist bashing of minorities and religious minorities. It’s hard but honestly I’m the one that’s changed . Dale is my brother . Just watched him get married at the stratosphere in Vegas , longest stretch I’ve ever been in to get there . He’s done so much for me, been so loyal I’ll love him forever .
But I detest trump for what he did to him. It’s like a spell.

This is what I'm talking about. And your friend like my friends have legitimate reasons to be against the Democrats. The leadership is so bad in this nation right now. Worst I've ever seen it.

These people in these parties are just wanting to rip each other apart. No sympathy. No understanding. Just rip and tear at each other.

It's a very unpleasant situation in the nation right now. I primarily blame the media myself because when I go to Fox News or CNN, I see exactly where both sides got their information. The media is incredibly irresponsible in America right now. There seems to be no journalistic integrity left, just vilify the other side for ratings. No sense of media responsibility. The free press is protected for a reason and it is to be the truth teller for the people. These modern 24 hour news stations, web sites, and general online media have such a need for ratings or clicks to drive profitability that the free press is no longer a meaningful protection to encourage the press to operate with a high level of journalistic integrity.

It's the same with politicians. We do not reward politicians for being good, decent people. We reward them for manipulating people for votes, while once in office supporting the agendas of special interest groups.

It's all a damn shame.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:49 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:This is what I'm talking about. And your friend like my friends have legitimate reasons to be against the Democrats. The leadership is so bad in this nation right now. Worst I've ever seen it.

These people in these parties are just wanting to rip each other apart. No sympathy. No understanding. Just rip and tear at each other.

It's a very unpleasant situation in the nation right now. I primarily blame the media myself because when I go to Fox News or CNN, I see exactly where both sides got their information. The media is incredibly irresponsible in America right now. There seems to be no journalistic integrity left, just vilify the other side for ratings. No sense of media responsibility. The free press is protected for a reason and it is to be the truth teller for the people. These modern 24 hour news stations, web sites, and general online media have such a need for ratings or clicks to drive profitability that the free press is no longer a meaningful protection to encourage the press to operate with a high level of journalistic integrity.

It's the same with politicians. We do not reward politicians for being good, decent people. We reward them for manipulating people for votes, while once in office supporting the agendas of special interest groups.

It's all a damn shame.

I'm not buying the argument that both sides want to rip each other apart. For one, I don't know anyone on the dem side that worships any single politician and considers them infallible. Joe praises republicans and democrats alike when they reach bipartisan agreement on bills. I myself am a dem, and I think there are some republicans worth supporting that I could vote for president. I simply don't know anyone as blinded on the dems side as HT"s friend.
I-5
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:46 am

I-5 wrote:I'm not buying the argument that both sides want to rip each other apart. For one, I don't know anyone on the dem side that worships any single politician and considers them infallible. Joe praises republicans and democrats alike when they reach bipartisan agreement on bills. I myself am a dem, and I think there are some republicans worth supporting that I could vote for president. I simply don't know anyone as blinded on the dems side as HT"s friend.

I agree. There is a fringe element to the left but it's a small percentage whereas the fringe has consumed the right. "They're just as bad as we are" is a false equivalency. Trump has taken the right into no mans land, and most of them are are all for it.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:47 am

I don’t buy this at all . The whack jobs burning down towns aren’t a few . The celebration of trans gender athletes , forcing teams to allow competition for people who have the frame , voice , and appearance of a man . There’s a difference between acceptance and tolerance and telling everyone they need to celebrate it , prioritize it. The insane border policies . Never saw a tax or new government program they didn’t like . As much as Trump delivered Biden the perceived malaise and loss of respect around the world led to Trump. Don’t misunderstand I’d take Obama right now over a brain dead 80 year old . But the dem party is as whacked on the fringe as the Republican Party . A failure to adjust will lead to republicans winning more all the time . Biden was elected as he was perceived as moderate . He’s not been .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:29 am

I-5 wrote:I'm not buying the argument that both sides want to rip each other apart. For one, I don't know anyone on the dem side that worships any single politician and considers them infallible. Joe praises republicans and democrats alike when they reach bipartisan agreement on bills. I myself am a dem, and I think there are some republicans worth supporting that I could vote for president. I simply don't know anyone as blinded on the dems side as HT"s friend.

Not worshipping a politician does not in any way mean the Democratic left and their followers are not willing to rip apart the nation to get their way.

The televised protests after the George Floyd killing were just another example in a long line of examples of Democrats allowing people to rip apart the country in a fit of anger, same as they did during the Rodney King riots or the WTO riots.

Democrats can keep pretending they're blameless and all these people are turning to Trump because they're all just "dumb." Hawktawks's friend is just dumb. All my educated friends are just dumb. All the people you know who voted for Trump are just dumb. The Democrats aren't doing anything to wind them up or convince them Trump is the better option. It's all just because all the millions of Republicans who voted for Trump are just dumb. I guess we'll see how long that excuse continues.

There is a lot of crazy in the Democratic Party that isn't being well addressed, especially in Democratic run cities. All Trump did was tap into what was already there, all that anger toward the Democrats lack of action or what is perceived as crazy changes that these people want resisted. Once Trump is done, they'll move on to the next Republican who promises to address it. America will have to hope that no Republican war leader comes along any time soon because the Republicans on the right are itching for a violent revolt because of the way the Democrats are pushing the nation.

The Democrats get the wrong war leader too, a more extreme and war-like AOC, they may be ready to go too.

Right now these sides vilify each other heavily through their media arms. If either side gets the "wrong" leader who pushes things to an even greater extreme, we'll see some real crazy crap go down, even crazier than what Trump did. Even after the George Floyd killings, you get some warlike guy calling for a complete destruction of the establishment, you might see some terrible crap go down. Same as if Republicans get a war leader instead of fake tough guy like Trump they could take it to the next level.

It's not a good place to be in when you have powder kegs like this in the nation.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:44 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I agree. There is a fringe element to the left but it's a small percentage whereas the fringe has consumed the right. "They're just as bad as we are" is a false equivalency. Trump has taken the right into no mans land, and most of them are are all for it.

I guess it depends on what you call 'fringe.' If you don't consider the Dems that supported the Defund the Police movement, are calling for the abolishment of ICE, the non response to the BLM riots, the support for the anarchists that took over an entire neighborhood of a major US city for weeks to be on the fringe, then I would agree.

But that's not the way I see it. A good example is what Bernie Sanders and said about Defund the Police:

Instead of spending $80 billion a year on jails and incarceration, we need to be investing in more jobs and education. One thing is abundantly clear: Every police department violating people's civil rights must be stripped of federal funding. Period.

Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) June 4, 2020

IMO ignorant statements like that are what I would call "on the fringe," has gripped a good share of the Democratic Party, and has deepened the political divide.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:08 am

The televised protests after the George Floyd killing were just another example in a long line of examples of Democrats allowing people to rip apart the country in a fit of anger, same as they did during the Rodney King riots or the WTO riots.

The national protests are not an extremist example AT ALL, and can't be compared to Jan 6. Start by looking at what is being protested: the utterly calm and calculated murder of an unarmed black man in public vs a faked stolen election claim incited by Trump/Giuliani et all with absolutely zero evidence that could ever hold up in court. I never condone violence and destruction on any side, but the protests aren't remotely comparable.

That's the biggest false equivalency ever.

And Riv, regarding Bernie's statement, if you apply that to the Uvalde tragedy, would you keep pumping money into those programs (because they had thousands of collective hours of active shooter training and did utterly nothing about it when the time came), or would you re-evaluate HOW you spend resources, including human resources? From all I've read about the incident, what happened in Uvalde is not abnormal when it comes to police looking after their own safety first. In this case, it was first, second, third, and last.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:13 pm

I-5 wrote:The national protests are not an extremist example AT ALL, and can't be compared to Jan 6. Start by looking at what is being protested: the utterly calm and calculated murder of an unarmed black man in public vs a faked stolen election claim incited by Trump/Giuliani et all with absolutely zero evidence that could ever hold up in court. I never condone violence and destruction on any side, but the protests aren't remotely comparable.

The continuous, nearly nonstop coverage of the protests following George Floyd was an example of some very poor judgment of our national press corps. Knowing full well that their coverage would result in a snowball effect of more violent protests, they should have de-emphasized and limited their coverage to just a few words and still pictures. But except for those pols that may have spoken at rallies, I cannot fault the Dems for the poor decisions made by the press, which is driven by competition with each other for viewers, and violent protests makes for dramatic videos that attract viewers.

I-5 wrote:And Riv, regarding Bernie's statement, if you apply that to the Uvalde tragedy, would you keep pumping money into those programs (because they had thousands of collective hours of active shooter training and did utterly nothing about it when the time came), or would you re-evaluate HOW you spend resources, including human resources? From all I've read about the incident, what happened in Uvalde is not abnormal when it comes to police looking after their own safety first. In this case, it was first, second, third, and last.

The answer to your question is an emphatic "YES". They should have insisted on those officers being fired and provided them with more funding to be earmarked for recruitment to replace them and more training if needed. In any industry or occupation, if you want to improve the quality of your work force, you don't do it by cutting their budget. What they need to do is to raise their salaries, improve their benefits packages, improve employee morale to reduce turnover, and widen the field of applicants so they aren't forced to hire the Officer Tackleberry's of the world.

BTW, Sanders wasn't talking about how PD's spend their resources. He specifically said that " Every police department violating people's civil rights must be stripped of federal funding. Period." The "Period" he used at the end of that statement is an indication that he views his proposal to suspend funds as some form of punitive measure, not in the spirit of trying to improve their performance as you're trying to make it sound.

And there's worse statements than that coming out of the mouths of Democrats. Some want to disarm police and confine them to traffic control. It's talk like that which has caused me to conclude that there are a lot of Democrats living "on the fringe" of lunacy. Gone are the days when Bill Clinton once pledged to put 100,000 more cops on the workforce.
Last edited by RiverDog on Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:34 pm

I-5 wrote:The national protests are not an extremist example AT ALL, and can't be compared to Jan 6. Start by looking at what is being protested: the utterly calm and calculated murder of an unarmed black man in public vs a faked stolen election claim incited by Trump/Giuliani et all with absolutely zero evidence that could ever hold up in court. I never condone violence and destruction on any side, but the protests aren't remotely comparable.

And Riv, regarding Bernie's statement, if you apply that to the Uvalde tragedy, would you keep pumping money into those programs (because they had thousands of collective hours of active shooter training and did utterly nothing about it when the time came), or would you re-evaluate HOW you spend resources, including human resources? From all I've read about the incident, what happened in Uvalde is not abnormal when it comes to police looking after their own safety first. In this case, it was first, second, third, and last.

This is a pure lie and wont' be tolerated by the right. There was no calculation, no premeditation, and no intent to murder. This is absolutely drivel. This is why the divide is so wide because a Democratic liberal like yourself is creating a picture of a situation that did not occur as you state it, not even close.

It was a single police officer operating in a managerial capacity who engaged in inhumane and incompetent behavior. In no way did he show up planning to murder Floyd. The other officers are guilty by association. None of those officers planned to murder Floyd and in fact one of them is African ancestry and another Hmong Chinese, yet the liberal press pushed it as a racially based killing as though all the officers were secret members of the KKK inciting protests that led to damage and violence far beyond what was needed. They've been doing this for a while.

The actions taken by the politicians can definitely be compared to the protests. Protesting itself is fine, taking over six city blocks is not. That is not false equivalency at all. Regardless of the reason you do not get to take over cities, drive the police out of precincts, and engage in massive property damage and threats of violence.

You keep using this term false equivalency because it sounds good. I'm wondering how good it's going to sound when people don't care and are just tired of Democrats like yourself excusing bad behavior based on party lines because you think the reason is more valid. Sorry buddy, the other side does not see as valid tearing the nation apart including cities because you're angry incompetent police officers killed a man that the liberal media racialized immediately as they constantly do vilifying cops and forcing this "take sides based on race" push left wing media does like clockwork that Democrats don't appear to want to acknowledge.

Democrats do not believe in consistent standards of behavior anymore than Republicans. They try to make their excuses for violence and property damage seem more valid so they can excuse the negative behaviors.

There is no false equivalency. It doesn't matter if a protest is based on a falsehoods or a real event, you don't get to rip the nation apart because of it. It is criminal behavior regardless of the reason for doing it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:20 pm

I didn’t say it was first degree murder; it’s not premeditated. But it easily meets Third Degree Murder.

Yes, false equivalency. Especially since the Capitol Hill mob were protesting false claims of a stolen election. We know it was a fair election, just like the 2016 election and every other election before.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:05 pm

I-5 wrote:I didn’t say it was first degree murder; it’s not premeditated. But it easily meets Third Degree Murder.

Yes, false equivalency. Especially since the Capitol Hill mob were protesting false claims of a stolen election. We know it was a fair election, just like the 2016 election and every other election before.

The 2016 was a fair election? Tell that to Hillary.

And before you start yelling "false equivalency!", which, like a little kid with a new toy, seems to be the buzz word phrase everyone is throwing around, I am not equating her claims with Trump's. Of course, Trump's are 10 times more absurd, and he's taken his to a completely different level. My point is that it's easy to forget how much belly aching and complaining the Dems have been doing in losing close elections, and not just idle complaints, either, as many want to change the rules of the game to something that they can win by doing away with the electoral college.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:51 pm

Correct me if i’m wrong, Riv, but wasn’t Hillary’s complaint that Russian disinformation tactics and the timing of Comey’s explosive announcement…which turned out to be CORRECT. She didn’t question the electoral vote or stolen ballots. But maybe I’m wrong. Did she?
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:27 pm

I-5 wrote:Correct me if i’m wrong, Riv, but wasn’t Hillary’s complaint that Russian disinformation tactics and the timing of Comey’s explosive announcement…which turned out to be CORRECT. She didn’t question the electoral vote or stolen ballots. But maybe I’m wrong. Did she?

Yes, I think she did. But she went beyond just complaining about Russian disinformation and Comey's timing of the release of her emails. She cast doubt on the entire election in general. Here's what she said in October of 2020, well after the dust had settled on those two issues:

“There was a widespread understanding that this election [in 2016] was not on the level,” Clinton said during an interview for the latest episode of The Atlantic’s politics podcast, The Ticket. “We still don’t know what really happened.”

“There’s just a lot that I think will be revealed. History will discover,” the Democratic Party’s 2016 presidential nominee continued. “But you don’t win by 3 million votes and have all this other shenanigans and stuff going on and not come away with an idea like, ‘Whoa, something’s not right here.’ That was a deep sense of unease.”

https://news.yahoo.com/hillary-clinton- ... 16779.html
RiverDog
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic