$10k Student Loan Forgiveness

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Re: $10k Student Loan Forgiveness

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:29 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Where was all this outrage when the banks were bailed out? or the Auto industry or Airlines? or the trillions in tax reductions for the already rich?

Y'all are programmed to believe any money going anywhere that doesn't directly benefit Wall Street is bad for the country.

I-5 wrote:As someone said, 'for those outraged by this loan forgiveness program, just pretend instead it's another tax cut going to billionaires, which you also will never see'.

No need to pretend. It's as bad as those other programs. This should have been targeted based on need; not blanketed.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:44 am

Wouldn’t you agree anyone carrying that much student debt would qualify as in need? Those aren’t rich people.

To Riv’s earlier comment, I also paid my own way through my last couple of years at the UW (before that was full scholarship), but I’m wholly for debt forgiveness. For one, my in state tuition for my undergrad degree was something like $1500 per quarter, nothing at all compared to what tuition rates are now. America is smart to help invest in educating its people. Especially based on the average reading being grade 4.
I-5
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:11 pm

What are you talking about? They are not issuing it based on the amount of debt. They are issuing it based on merely holding debt and making below $125,000/yr ($250,000 for couples or head of household).

I've covered this already. I don't like it in general, but this is just a broad stroke. There's going to be a lot of people who can pay their debt back on their own without undue hardship that are getting this. That's not what they should be doing. It should be case-by-case, but that will take too long with mid terms looming. And, no, the government shouldn't have done all the other stupid bail out/hand out programs.

Yes, America should invest in educating it's people, but they need to get that right on the front end. Waiting to invest when they get to college age is too late, but that's exactly what the push is. They won't magically become better students that get the most out of their education just because they are in college. It's like down here in Louisiana, they fight tooth and nail to keep the TOPS program selection qualifications low so more students can get it. That just means you have a lot more low-performing students getting funded that don't pan out. it's like throwing a high school quarterback into the NFL and assuming he'll become competent just by being there.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:07 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:What are you talking about? They are not issuing it based on the amount of debt. They are issuing it based on merely holding debt and making below $125,000/yr ($250,000 for couples or head of household).

I've covered this already. I don't like it in general, but this is just a broad stroke. There's going to be a lot of people who can pay their debt back on their own without undue hardship that are getting this. That's not what they should be doing. It should be case-by-case, but that will take too long with mid terms looming. And, no, the government shouldn't have done all the other stupid bail out/hand out programs.

Yes, America should invest in educating it's people, but they need to get that right on the front end. Waiting to invest when they get to college age is too late, but that's exactly what the push is. They won't magically become better students that get the most out of their education just because they are in college. It's like down here in Louisiana, they fight tooth and nail to keep the TOPS program selection qualifications low so more students can get it. That just means you have a lot more low-performing students getting funded that don't pan out. it's like throwing a high school quarterback into the NFL and assuming he'll become competent just by being there.

I wish they would design the education system more like England where being assessed for trade school or other professions was a reality for low performing students that don't enjoy school. I know so many people that just don't enjoy going to school. They would be far better off learning a trade than following the traditional educational path.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:14 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Yes, America should invest in educating it's people, but they need to get that right on the front end. Waiting to invest when they get to college age is too late, but that's exactly what the push is. They won't magically become better students that get the most out of their education just because they are in college. It's like down here in Louisiana, they fight tooth and nail to keep the TOPS program selection qualifications low so more students can get it. That just means you have a lot more low-performing students getting funded that don't pan out. it's like throwing a high school quarterback into the NFL and assuming he'll become competent just by being there.

I am interested in what you’re saying. How would you administer this before they get into college? Create a program for students to apply to that a broad number could qualify for? I like the idea, it’s one step closer to Europe.
I-5
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:38 pm

I wish I had a good answer for that. Even investment on the front end is a tough one. I think of me growing up with 3 siblings. Mom divorced when I was 3 so we didn’t have someone on top of us for homework. I was fortunate to have the aptitude to do my work myself. I was only one to go to college. My bro is now a a readiness NCO for the army national guard and is a master gunner qualified in the M2 Bradley. One sister trotted off to Europe several years ago but finally landed in her feet as a musician. The other sister has pretty much stuck with the service industry while doing paintings on the side.

Point is, barring natural academic aptitude, how do you guide young people to academic success? Perhaps Asea is on to something with an educational system that seeks to identify strengths of kids and funnels them in those direction without any stigma. Our whole system seems geared toward college entrance. Also how do ensure the type of one-on-one support that many kids need if it’s absent in the home? It’s a tough situation.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:45 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I wish I had a good answer for that. Even investment on the front end is a tough one. I think of me growing up with 3 siblings. Mom divorced when I was 3 so we didn’t have someone on top of us for homework. I was fortunate to have the aptitude to do my work myself. I was only one to go to college. My bro is now a a readiness NCO for the army national guard and is a master gunner qualified in the M2 Bradley. One sister trotted off to Europe several years ago but finally landed in her feet as a musician. The other sister has pretty much stuck with the service industry while doing paintings on the side.

Point is, barring natural academic aptitude, how do you guide young people to academic success? Perhaps Asea is on to something with an educational system that seeks to identify strengths of kids and funnels them in those direction without any stigma. Our whole system seems geared toward college entrance. Also how do ensure the type of one-on-one support that many kids need if it’s absent in the home? It’s a tough situation.

You’re kind of disproving your own point that it’s a bad idea. I don’t think it’s a long term solution, but it’s a start. It at least helps those who took the initiative to get a higher education for whatever reason. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just like none of the other bills are perfect. It’s certainly not a boondoggle like so many huge govt investments turn out to be. Investing in people whether they are the perfect people does way more good than bad.
I-5
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:52 pm

Not at all. Again, relief isn't necessarily a bad idea. The poor implementation of this one is. I don't know why anybody is against properly deciding who needs the help versus throwing a huge amount of money at it regardless of circumstance. And the government precedent of doing this (to buy votes) is far from a valid justification.

I have seen several people talk about how Western Europe pays for college. They do, but it's restrictive. A student has to demonstrate sufficient aptitude for college through exit exams in high school. If they don't make the grade, they don't get to go on the state's dime. They also have to maintain a sufficient GPA to stay in good standing and they have to finish on time. That's still investing in your people; it's just investing wisely.

And taking initiative to go to college for whatever reason is why we have so many useless degrees funded by billions in loan money. Far too many communications, philosophy, psychology, liberal arts and fill-in-the-blank studies degrees that have poor job placement rates and overall earnings. Everyone doesn't need to and some shouldn't go to college. It should be restrictive when it comes to loaning students money. That's another one I've seen; they give a kid $100k in loans like it's nothing but it takes a near act of God to get a business loan for the same amount. Treat lending to students the same way. Make them prove they are a good investment through high school performance and continued success in college. If it looks to be a bad investment, pull the plug before they go too far. Aside from a few high-powered disciplines, there's no excuse for anyone to get themselves into $100k+ in debt for education. The higher education beast is being pumped up very similarly to the way housing was. Easy lending leads to high demand which drives high prices. Restrict it and you just might get somewhere in driving down costs.

Society is going to have to change how all of this works, or we will back in this situation in just a few years.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:10 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I wish I had a good answer for that. Even investment on the front end is a tough one. I think of me growing up with 3 siblings. Mom divorced when I was 3 so we didn’t have someone on top of us for homework. I was fortunate to have the aptitude to do my work myself. I was only one to go to college. My bro is now a a readiness NCO for the army national guard and is a master gunner qualified in the M2 Bradley. One sister trotted off to Europe several years ago but finally landed in her feet as a musician. The other sister has pretty much stuck with the service industry while doing paintings on the side.

My best friend is from England. He explained the English school system to me. I found it interesting. They tend graduate the equivalent of High School at age 16. Then they take exams that determine their aptitude. Then they are given support for schooling in their given aptitude which can be anything from an advanced college degree to a mechanic to a taxi driver. It's very focused.

I studied some of the Asian, Middle Eastern, and Indian systems which are similarly based on aptitude testing with direction and scholastic support for particular jobs. They generally have higher scholastic standards like we used to have in America.

I keep wondering when the American school system decided to take this liberalized direction of passing students through regardless of competence level. I know it happened prior to when I attended High School in the 80s as they were passing students through with Ds and didn't care.

I attended private Catholic School from 4th to 7th grade. I was surprised at how lax public school was when I moved from private to public school. In private school, you weren't allowed to get less than a B. If you received lower than a B and the teachers knew this was below your ability, they would meet with your parents and tell them that you would be expelled from school for failing to achieve higher grades. We were reading advanced reading material and doing algebra in the 4th grade. I was reading King James Bible type of material as well as studying complex religious and Latin terms during my entire time in private school. When my mother was no longer able to afford private school, I went to public school. It was a huge drop off in the quality and intensity of my education. The minimum requirements were pathetic. The kids could barely read. Teachers would have kids read aloud and they could not properly pronounce words that should have been easy. I was pretty shocked coming from reading far more advanced text than that present in 8th grade public school books.

I feel like American education is built for the lowest common denominator with extremely low expectations. This provides a huge disadvantage for our kids and sets them up for a difficult time once they graduate. It also provides an outsized advantage to kids of wealthy parents who are able to send their kids to high performing private schools or home school them with more attentive teaching set at a personalized pace. Kids and parents willing to put in the work can use the public school system to achieve greater results, but the baseline American education is an extremely low bar that sets up so many young people for troubling times out of school.

Glad to hear you had a strong personal desire to succeed and excel. That will carry you a long way. It seems we should encourage that type of drive in children early on, but for some reason we do not. American public education seems to be a secondary day care that we push children through without much regard for how well they learn the material or whether or not the material is focused on preparing them well for modern employment and success. We could use a real education crusader to push something like this through. But neither the Democrats nor the Republicans seem to be offering effective measures for improving public education and neither seems to seriously want to raise the standards, even why the majority probably send their kids to private schools, high performing public schools in rich districts, or home school them with tutors.

Not sure how we remain competitive as a nation without a competitive and efficient K1 to K12 education system. That is probably why we seem to bring in a lot of immigrants from better run public education systems to attend American universities which are top notch. It's so strange that we have this fairly garbage K1 through K12 system, while having world renowned universities and colleges that people from around the world come to attend. I imagine our college and university system combined with our capitalist system makes it highly attractive to attend college in America and stay to build a business.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:06 pm

So basically every tax payer who makes an honest wage and pays his expected taxes on time ...just "found out" that they became co-signers for every "student" ...regardless of degree pursued and how they "qualified" for student loans in the first place...the old way of qualifying for federal grants or scholastic scholarships wasn't enough for an honest pursuit? The only haunting question is when all of these government bailouts/inflation buster billions/trillions will actually transform into oppressive tax hikes? You can only doctor "the books" for so long and still retain international credibility to allow some other nation to gobble up our national debt in the form of bonds to keep our money printing afloat? Lot of brave educated "chicken littles" unable to seek shelter...sad
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:58 am

tarlhawk wrote:So basically every tax payer who makes an honest wage and pays his expected taxes on time ...just "found out" that they became co-signers for every "student" ...regardless of degree pursued and how they "qualified" for student loans in the first place...the old way of qualifying for federal grants or scholastic scholarships wasn't enough for an honest pursuit? The only haunting question is when all of these government bailouts/inflation buster billions/trillions will actually transform into oppressive tax hikes? You can only doctor "the books" for so long and still retain international credibility to allow some other nation to gobble up our national debt in the form of bonds to keep our money printing afloat? Lot of brave educated "chicken littles" unable to seek shelter...sad

And the students aren't tax payers? Or they won't be taxpayers? Like they won't pay far more than 10 k into the tax fund? Just a bunch of people pretending that they're paying for this even though these same students will pay far more in future taxes than any of them ever paid due to inflated wages.

The understanding of economics amongst the general populace is incredibly bad.

10,000 dollars in student debt will have a zero effect on the economy and will only free up debt for use on consumption that will lead to higher tax revenues paid for by the very people who received the relief who making higher wages will pay far more in taxes than anyone likely on this forum unless you too are also young. These same folks will be paying for your social security and medicare after the older folks retire at inflated wages to keep all those old, unproductive folks who paid into medicare and social security at reduced wage rates with far more people supporting the system.

How is that ethical? We could argue as to why young folks making an honest wage have to pay into a badly designed system that in no way made the returns sufficient to cover the modern cost of both medicare and social security with a shrinking younger population. No older folks mention that while they're bitching a 10,000 dollar drop in the bucket that will help boost tax revenues down the line and easily pay for itself.

A major reason why this is pretty pointless to complain about is the economics of it are solid. It's about the equivalent of a tax credit for education of 10,000 dollars in current dollars which with high inflation will be very cheap in the long run.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:05 am

So whats next? Mortgage relief? So 10000 is itty bitty in impact? Is it only a single student who qualifies? Is spending your way out of a recession always the best way? Just think how much consumer spending would be available if everyone was freed from their mortgage? Much of this relief seems compassionate yet as you pointed out even the students as tax payers will still be paying the 10K and more because the Gov't has no money of its own...so when you "stick it to the man" with tax evasion...the burden is placed on those tax payers whose revenue funds much of governments waste. Is this student debt relief "across the board" a remedy for not restricting it to those degrees that actually reflect jobs needed by our country? Every degree must count...sounds like a similar mantra "every vote must count" (easily misunderstood as every legally cast vote must count)...but your reasoning that students are tax payers too...duh...but unlike all taxpayers they will have 10K forgiveness before paying those same taxes as everyone else...so your point was??
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:29 pm

tarlhawk wrote:So whats next? Mortgage relief? So 10000 is itty bitty in impact? Is it only a single student who qualifies? Is spending your way out of a recession always the best way? Just think how much consumer spending would be available if everyone was freed from their mortgage? Much of this relief seems compassionate yet as you pointed out even the students as tax payers will still be paying the 10K and more because the Gov't has no money of its own...so when you "stick it to the man" with tax evasion...the burden is placed on those tax payers whose revenue funds much of governments waste. Is this student debt relief "across the board" a remedy for not restricting it to those degrees that actually reflect jobs needed by our country? Every degree must count...sounds like a similar mantra "every vote must count" (easily misunderstood as every legally cast vote must count)...but your reasoning that students are tax payers too...duh...but unlike all taxpayers they will have 10K forgiveness before paying those same taxes as everyone else...so your point was??

Excellent post. I agree completely.

Mortgage relief is a perfect analogy. Why are we focused solely on college loan debt? If part of the government's role is to help people reduce their debt, then why not help people pay off their primary home mortgage? Why shouldn't the government give $10K to anyone making less than $125K to help pay off their mortgage?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:28 pm

This debate could only ever happen in America. To equate a subsidy for those who want higher education with home ownership is as ridiculous as it sounds. I can't even have an argument about it, it's so far off. Why is ok to subsidize billionaires and corporations without any complaint? Those numbers dwarf what we're discussing. I'm not interested in trying to debate something that actually happens in other countries - to their benefit.
Last edited by I-5 on Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:28 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Where was all this outrage when the banks were bailed out? or the Auto industry or Airlines? or the trillions in tax reductions for the already rich?

Y'all are programmed to believe any money going anywhere that doesn't directly benefit Wall Street is bad for the country.

I-5 wrote:As someone said, 'for those outraged by this loan forgiveness program, just pretend instead it's another tax cut going to billionaires, which you also will never see'.

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:No need to pretend. It's as bad as those other programs. This should have been targeted based on need; not blanketed.

That's about 90% of my objection, ie the $125K threshold. People earning that kind of money don't have to worry about how to pay off their loans, and $10K is a drop in the bucket to them. It's wasteful government spending.

I'm all for making education more affordable and accessible. But this initiative does nothing in that regard. All it's doing is compensating people that have already gone to school and gotten their educations. It does nothing for the future of our educational system or for those considering a post-secondary education.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:39 pm

I-5 wrote:This debate could only ever happen in America. To equate a subsidy for education with home ownership is as ridiculous as it sounds. I can't even have an argument about it, it's so far off. Why is ok to subsidize billionaires and corporations without any complaint? Those numbers dwarf what we're discussing. I'm not interested in trying to debate something that actually happens in other countries - to their benefit.

Who said it was OK to subsidize or compensate billionaires? It wasn't me.

If you're going to use other expenditures that the federal government makes to justify student loan forgiveness, then you could cost justify every single proposal ever brought forward by simply noting how much money this country spends on national defense. Reparations for slavery. Free tuition. National health care. There would be no bounds, no limits on what we could rationalize. Make it rain!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:17 pm

I'm not justifying anything. The loan (forgiveness for now, and hopefully a better program in the future) issue is justifiable on its own merits. A more educated populace helps the country, which has been falling behind for decades. The comment about the other expenditures was just to point out that we don't even bother discussing those...why not? If it's no different, why does this thread exist as a topic?
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:27 pm

I-5 wrote:I'm not justifying anything. The loan (forgiveness for now, and hopefully a better program in the future) issue is justifiable on its own merits. A more educated populace helps the country, which has been falling behind for decades. The comment about the other expenditures was just to point out that we don't even bother discussing those...why not? If it's no different, why does this thread exist as a topic?

But you're not educating a single person with that money! All you're doing is reimbursing people that have already received an education, gotten jobs, and most likely have no intention of ever returning to college.

If you want to improve the educational system, take the money they're handing out and use it to reduce tuition nationwide or even index it according to income and I'll be all for it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:37 pm

RiverDog wrote:Who said it was OK to subsidize or compensate billionaires? It wasn't me.

If you're going to use other expenditures that the federal government makes to justify student loan forgiveness, then you could cost justify every single proposal ever brought forward by simply noting how much money this country spends on national defense. Reparations for slavery. Free tuition. National health care. There would be no bounds, no limits on what we could rationalize. Make it rain!

Anything that effects our governments "pocketbook" originates in the House of Representatives and then gets its constitutional merits by the Senate as the branch of gov't that either gives its approval or sends it back revised with advice. The finished bill once approved by both branches of Congress then goes to the President to sign into law. These "hidden" enablers of the wealthy via tax codes may be disliked but being disliked doesn't make them illegal...make yourself informed and vote with your conscience...not chasing shiny baubles for political gain.

This loan forgiveness is not being equated to the ruin known as the housing market which suffered a great flame out and almost put our countries entire financial structure at risk...outrage during bank bailout/airline bailout/auto bailout/...the infamous "tax cuts for the rich? Is job creation so easily misunderstood by those who incite emotional rage without regard to sound reasoning? Small business creates a limited amount of jobs that pales in comparison to jobs created and sustained by the evil wealthy. Our failing education system has been almost pandemic in nature to the impact it has placed on keeping our economy humming when confronting real life issues such as covid and the rise in wages just to capture those willing to work.

The economy is able to absorb some careless actions by the government but takes a very long cycle of time to reveal the harm of lasting effects from repeated acts of carelessness over short time spans. Inflation is high...pumping more money into the demand side of things when supply is already imperiled is dangerous.

More money fueling more demand at a time when supply (output) is already being restricted/still in recovery...is a recipe for even higher inflation. If I'm selling at an output of 5 cars but fifty people have the money to buy those same 5 cars...do you think I'm selling those same 5 cars at their original price? No...I'll sell those five cars at a higher price till only 5-10 people can afford "my price" Am I evil then?...or is that a result of marketing at play? These topics are far from being simple just to create an echo chamber of expressed opinions...(Need a distraction? ...Go Hawks)
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:02 pm

I-5 wrote: A more educated populace helps the country, which has been falling behind for decades.

Making a universal statement that is not being included in any forms of opinions is not supporting the view you want to make. Why do those with "higher degrees of learning" accept or work in jobs totally outside of their degree. It comes across like a joke when we banter about an individual with a Chemical Engineering Degree choosing to work at a U.S. Post Office...but is it really funny? Possessing a degree...any degree...doesn't further the need to help our country...unless you no longer want the freedom to seek a job of your choice and by accepting such a degree you "promise" to only seek employment that gainfully employs you in that field?

The freedoms we enjoy don't "guarantee" success when bad decisions are made for a myriad of reasons. You influence making good decisions by being a responsible parent and instilling the wisdom given to you from your own parents. Is life always fair? Breaking the mold of your child being labeled as a "quitter" needs to be confronted at a very young age. Time and frustration of the parent must be weighed against the good results of their persistence. Parenting is one of life's full time jobs and can't be sugar coated to give your child a better life than what you perceive your own parents provided you with. The real gift of being a parent is being there as trusted support whenever your child comes up against life.
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:20 pm

tarlhawk wrote:The economy is able to absorb some careless actions by the government but takes a very long cycle of time to reveal the harm of lasting effects from repeated acts of carelessness over short time spans. Inflation is high...pumping more money into the demand side of things when supply is already imperiled is dangerous.

More money fueling more demand at a time when supply (output) is already being restricted/still in recovery...is a recipe for even higher inflation. If I'm selling at an output of 5 cars but fifty people have the money to buy those same 5 cars...do you think I'm selling those same 5 cars at their original price? No...I'll sell those five cars at a higher price till only 5-10 people can afford "my price" Am I evil then?...or is that a result of marketing at play? These topics are far from being simple just to create an echo chamber of expressed opinions...(Need a distraction? ...Go Hawks)

There's two parts to my objection, and you mentioned one of them.

We are already facing an economic crisis in the form of inflation, currently at 8.2%, and pumping more money into the system, money that's likely going to be spent as disposable income and used to buy consumer goods vs. saving it or using it to pay down a mortgage, is going to increase demand and drive up prices.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:13 pm

RiverDog wrote:There's two parts to my objection, and you mentioned one of them.

We are already facing an economic crisis in the form of inflation, currently at 8.2%, and pumping more money into the system, money that's likely going to be spent as disposable income and used to buy consumer goods vs. saving it or using it to pay down a mortgage, is going to increase demand and drive up prices.

It won't amount to a significant inflationary push. The primary drivers of inflation at the moment are energy prices with at least gas prices coming down, supply chain issues worldwide, and your favorite issue the labor shortage. Those are the primary drivers of inflation right now. The labor issue is a really big problem right now. The worker shortage for some industries is really, really bad, especially the low end services and agriculture. Did you see the California fast food law they just passed? Pretty damn crazy. If you visit California any time soon, might as well eat at a full service restaurant as your local fast food burger is going to be costing an insane price to pay for the 22.50 minimum wage they are pushing for a fast food worker. That 22.50 minimum wage for California fast food workers going to push 15,000 additional dollars into the economy per year for an average 40 hour a week worker. Even the 15 dollar Federal minimum wage would make the 10,000 loan forgiveness look like a 5 dollar handout with all the cash it would push into the economy.

10,000 dollar loan forgiveness is a blip on the radar of inflation.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:57 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:It won't amount to a significant inflationary push. The primary drivers of inflation at the moment are energy prices with at least gas prices coming down, supply chain issues worldwide, and your favorite issue the labor shortage. Those are the primary drivers of inflation right now. The labor issue is a really big problem right now. The worker shortage for some industries is really, really bad, especially the low end services and agriculture. Did you see the California fast food law they just passed? Pretty damn crazy. If you visit California any time soon, might as well eat at a full service restaurant as your local fast food burger is going to be costing an insane price to pay for the 22.50 minimum wage they are pushing for a fast food worker. That 22.50 minimum wage for California fast food workers going to push 15,000 additional dollars into the economy per year for an average 40 hour a week worker. Even the 15 dollar Federal minimum wage would make the 10,000 loan forgiveness look like a 5 dollar handout with all the cash it would push into the economy.

10,000 dollar loan forgiveness is a blip on the radar of inflation.

Of course, it won't have as large of an impact on inflation as gas prices and the labor shortage, but it is significant. Here's some snippets from that conservative rag, CNBC:

Canceling student debt will boost near-term inflation more than the Inflation Reduction Act that was recently enacted would reduce it, the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget found in a recent analysis. Moreover, it found that canceling student debt would also undermine the deficit reductions in that law recently passed by Democrats.

And an angle that I hadn't thought about, the cost to the average taxpayer:

The plan, these experts say, will cost taxpayers and does nothing to solve the tough unaffordability issues that plague higher education in the U.S.

“There’s a transfer of wealth from the society at large to people who borrowed to go to college right now,” said Andrew Lautz, director of federal policy at the National Taxpayers Union.

“That has consequences for consumers,” Lautz said. “It has consequences for taxpayers.”

The average burden per U.S. taxpayer will be $2,503.22, according to new estimates from the National Taxpayers Union that are based on the plan released this week.

Notably, the costs would not be spread evenly across the income spectrum, according to the National Taxpayers Union’s estimates. Low-income taxpayers earning between $1 to $50,000 would have an average additional cost per taxpayer of $190. That would increase to about $1,040 for those with adjusted gross incomes between $50,000 and $75,000; $1,774 for those between $75,000 and $100,000; $3,791 for incomes of $100,000 to $200,000.

So tell me, how does it feel to pay $1700-$3800 in additional taxes so somebody can go buy a car or a boat with that ten grand we're forgiving?

Plus, as I indicated earlier, the plan does absolutely nothing to solve the affordability problems or do jack chit to improve our educational system:

Biden’s forgiveness plan fails to get at the root cause of why student borrowers wind up with such huge debt burdens in the first place, both Lautz and MacGuineas said.

“Higher education is one of the most difficult, thorny problems that you really need to get into how universities and graduate schools are financed and what kinds of changes would make it more affordable,” MacGuineas said. “This accomplishes none of that.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/24/bidens- ... ation.html

And that's just one of my problems with this bill. It is wholly unfair to those people like my daughter, who pinched every penny, worked every available hour, and made her decision on where to attend college based largely on what she could afford, while in the meantime, since it's a blanket policy that covers everyone, it rewards those that spent money like a drunken sailor and partied their way through school while racking up tens of thousands of dollars in debt.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:41 pm

RiverDog wrote:Of course, it won't have as large of an impact on inflation as gas prices and the labor shortage, but it is significant. Here's some snippets from that conservative rag, CNBC:

Canceling student debt will boost near-term inflation more than the Inflation Reduction Act that was recently enacted would reduce it, the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget found in a recent analysis. Moreover, it found that canceling student debt would also undermine the deficit reductions in that law recently passed by Democrats.

And an angle that I hadn't thought about, the cost to the average taxpayer:

The plan, these experts say, will cost taxpayers and does nothing to solve the tough unaffordability issues that plague higher education in the U.S.

“There’s a transfer of wealth from the society at large to people who borrowed to go to college right now,” said Andrew Lautz, director of federal policy at the National Taxpayers Union.

“That has consequences for consumers,” Lautz said. “It has consequences for taxpayers.”

The average burden per U.S. taxpayer will be $2,503.22, according to new estimates from the National Taxpayers Union that are based on the plan released this week.

Notably, the costs would not be spread evenly across the income spectrum, according to the National Taxpayers Union’s estimates. Low-income taxpayers earning between $1 to $50,000 would have an average additional cost per taxpayer of $190. That would increase to about $1,040 for those with adjusted gross incomes between $50,000 and $75,000; $1,774 for those between $75,000 and $100,000; $3,791 for incomes of $100,000 to $200,000.

So tell me, how does it feel to pay $1700-$3800 in additional taxes so somebody can go buy a car or a boat with that ten grand we're forgiving?

Plus, as I indicated earlier, the plan does absolutely nothing to solve the affordability problems or do jack chit to improve our educational system:

Biden’s forgiveness plan fails to get at the root cause of why student borrowers wind up with such huge debt burdens in the first place, both Lautz and MacGuineas said.

“Higher education is one of the most difficult, thorny problems that you really need to get into how universities and graduate schools are financed and what kinds of changes would make it more affordable,” MacGuineas said. “This accomplishes none of that.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/24/bidens- ... ation.html

And that's just one of my problems with this bill. It is wholly unfair to those people like my daughter, who pinched every penny, worked every available hour, and made her decision on where to attend college based largely on what she could afford, while in the meantime, since it's a blanket policy that covers everyone, it rewards those that spent money like a drunken sailor and partied their way through school while racking up tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

It's only going to be 10 to 20,000 debt clearance. People who racked up that much in debt aren't going to get clear of the majority of their debt. It will barely help some of the people loaded down with debt from places like University of Phoenix or someone who attended law school and were unable to obtain a quality, paying job.

Economically speaking, it's a better return on the money to provide the debt relief for a sunk cost with a 4 to 5% annual return when you can put that money back into circulation collecting taxes and revenues off the money. Debt is very fluid and can at times become detrimental to investment and future growth as you saw with the 2008 housing crisis. If we had a student loan crisis which some are predicting, we could see a much larger default of the system. Students are always a risky investment since even after they complete their degree, they may not make sufficient income to pay it off.

Yeah. They could have been more precise about it and targeted a lower income range which may have been more palatable to someone like yourself. It's very much what you like to refer to as a tempest in a teapot as far as its overall effect and 10,000 dollars isn't even enough to buy a new car or put a down payment on a house. In the current year, it's about 2 years of community college for a state resident and a single year at a state university. That's how crazy education expenses have come.

I would probably have been more upset when I was younger and didn't have the same understanding of debt. But debt and money are very fluid. This weird idea people have about "hard working tax payers" paying for this are pretty ridiculous. A huge portion of this will be paid for easily by taxes generated by the people who are having it forgiven. It's far more a tax credit based on the future taxes that will be generated by their consumption and labor. It is not something paid for by taxpayers who have already paid into the pool like they are being cheated at all. Taxes are a constant and the generation and people benefitting from this tax credit will more than make up for the 10,000 dollars provided and will be paying the bills for people in the future getting loans, using social security and medicare, and the like.

You're a business major. You know well the fluid nature of debt and taxes and the constant movement of money. So you know all the folks having a 10 to 20,000 forgiven for education now will generate that easily over their lifetime and then some, especially with rising wages and prices where the 10,000 to 20,000 forgiven now will be worth far less in the future due to inflation and the way the time value of money works.

It's pretty much an economic non-issue being built up far bigger than it is by Republicans who love the fact the majority of Americans have no idea how debt and money work. I understand your ethical view of the loan forgiveness and the parameters being too wide, but this just isn't a very important matter in the scheme of things. I'm sure it will get milked to death for all its worth for at least a few months.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:01 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:It's only going to be 10 to 20,000 debt clearance. People who racked up that much in debt aren't going to get clear of the majority of their debt. It will barely help some of the people loaded down with debt from places like University of Phoenix or someone who attended law school and were unable to obtain a quality, paying job.

That's absolutely right. It's a drop in the bucket for most people, so why bother? All it's going to do is give them a little bit of pocket change and will have no real effect on their financial situation nor will it help current or future students. It's simply a handout and an election year ploy to buy votes as young, college educated adults are a Democratic constituency. This is Biden taking care of those who voted for him.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Economically speaking, it's a better return on the money to provide the debt relief for a sunk cost with a 4 to 5% annual return when you can put that money back into circulation collecting taxes and revenues off the money. Debt is very fluid and can at times become detrimental to investment and future growth as you saw with the 2008 housing crisis. If we had a student loan crisis which some are predicting, we could see a much larger default of the system. Students are always a risky investment since even after they complete their degree, they may not make sufficient income to pay it off.

Which is the exact opposite of what we should be doing given the current economic climate. We need to be taking money OUT of circulation, not putting it back into the economy.

And as far as students not getting jobs that pay enough to pay off their debt, I call BS. My nephew, the MD who owes $360K in student loan debt, told me that they are very flexible with their repayment schedule, will let them skip payments if they get laid off, will vary the schedule according to their income. It's more of an inconvenience than it is a burden. Besides, those folks entered into those loans knowing full well what the consequences were. It's not like they were slammed with a surprise hospital bill or something.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Yeah. They could have been more precise about it and targeted a lower income range which may have been more palatable to someone like yourself. It's very much what you like to refer to as a tempest in a teapot as far as its overall effect and 10,000 dollars isn't even enough to buy a new car or put a down payment on a house. In the current year, it's about 2 years of community college for a state resident and a single year at a state university. That's how crazy education expenses have come.

I would probably have been more upset when I was younger and didn't have the same understanding of debt. But debt and money are very fluid. This weird idea people have about "hard working tax payers" paying for this are pretty ridiculous. A huge portion of this will be paid for easily by taxes generated by the people who are having it forgiven. It's far more a tax credit based on the future taxes that will be generated by their consumption and labor. It is not something paid for by taxpayers who have already paid into the pool like they are being cheated at all. Taxes are a constant and the generation and people benefitting from this tax credit will more than make up for the 10,000 dollars provided and will be paying the bills for people in the future getting loans, using social security and medicare, and the like.

You're a business major. You know well the fluid nature of debt and taxes and the constant movement of money. So you know all the folks having a 10 to 20,000 forgiven for education now will generate that easily over their lifetime and then some, especially with rising wages and prices where the 10,000 to 20,000 forgiven now will be worth far less in the future due to inflation and the way the time value of money works.

It's pretty much an economic non-issue being built up far bigger than it is by Republicans who love the fact the majority of Americans have no idea how debt and money work. I understand your ethical view of the loan forgiveness and the parameters being too wide, but this just isn't a very important matter in the scheme of things. I'm sure it will get milked to death for all its worth for at least a few months.

That's all fine and good, but what about the fairness issue? What about my daughter, is it fair to her that she made what at the time was a smart financial decision and had the discipline to conserve her money and spend it on only those things that were necessities so she could avoid taking out loans? Why not give her the same $10K that they're giving everyone else?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:33 am

RiverDog wrote:That's absolutely right. It's a drop in the bucket for most people, so why bother? All it's going to do is give them a little bit of pocket change and will have no real effect on their financial situation nor will it help current or future students. It's simply a handout and an election year ploy to buy votes as young, college educated adults are a Democratic constituency. This is Biden taking care of those who voted for him.

Whether you voted for Biden or not, you will benefit. But it is about pushing for votes and keeping promises.

Which is the exact opposite of what we should be doing given the current economic climate. We need to be taking money OUT of circulation, not putting it back into the economy.

The government cannot say it, but they need inflation badly to pay for the debt they built up during the pandemic. That's why they are not as concerned as they pretend to be. They will tolerate inflation for quite some time, same as they did when they had to inflate their way our of World War 2 debt. But telling people directly, "We need inflation to pay for the debt we accumulated during the pandemic and you're going to have suffer for it" would not go over well for either party.

I knew this was coming. I knew why it was coming. I knew the government needed it to pay for the debt they accumulated during the pandemic. I knew it would in the short-term damage the stock market and wash out weak companies, but it will create bargain buys. I'm ready to pick them up. I wish more people understood economics so they understood this is going to be an opportunity in the long-term because inflation will also increase the value of their assets including their property and investments.

And as far as students not getting jobs that pay enough to pay off their debt, I call BS. My nephew, the MD who owes $360K in student loan debt, told me that they are very flexible with their repayment schedule, will let them skip payments if they get laid off, will vary the schedule according to their income. It's more of an inconvenience than it is a burden. Besides, those folks entered into those loans knowing full well what the consequences were. It's not like they were slammed with a surprise hospital bill or something.

Not your nephew, but plenty of people were. And yes, they are flexible with repayment. Some people plan to never pay it off because it is usually a low interest rate, can't be declared in bankruptcy, and will hopefully be easier to pay off as they increase their wages.

That's all fine and good, but what about the fairness issue? What about my daughter, is it fair to her that she made what at the time was a smart financial decision and had the discipline to conserve her money and spend it on only those things that were necessities so she could avoid taking out loans? Why not give her the same $10K that they're giving everyone else?

The world ain't fair. Never has been, never will be. You know this and so does everyone else.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:32 am

RiverDog wrote:That's absolutely right. It's a drop in the bucket for most people, so why bother? All it's going to do is give them a little bit of pocket change and will have no real effect on their financial situation nor will it help current or future students. It's simply a handout and an election year ploy to buy votes as young, college educated adults are a Democratic constituency. This is Biden taking care of those who voted for him.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Whether you voted for Biden or not, you will benefit. But it is about pushing for votes and keeping promises.

I will benefit? How? He is doing nothing to improve the educational system, nothing to make it more affordable, nothing to make it more accessible. The only effect it will have on me is that I'll be paying more taxes and higher prices.

Aseahawkfan wrote:The government cannot say it, but they need inflation badly to pay for the debt they built up during the pandemic. That's why they are not as concerned as they pretend to be. They will tolerate inflation for quite some time, same as they did when they had to inflate their way our of World War 2 debt. But telling people directly, "We need inflation to pay for the debt we accumulated during the pandemic and you're going to have suffer for it" would not go over well for either party.

I knew this was coming. I knew why it was coming. I knew the government needed it to pay for the debt they accumulated during the pandemic. I knew it would in the short-term damage the stock market and wash out weak companies, but it will create bargain buys. I'm ready to pick them up. I wish more people understood economics so they understood this is going to be an opportunity in the long-term because inflation will also increase the value of their assets including their property and investments.

I knew it was coming, too, which is why I was against all but the first economic stimulus payment as by July of 2020 the economy had already recovered and everyone that wanted to work had already returned. Too many people fail to recognize that there are consequences to handing out this free money.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Not your nephew, but plenty of people were. And yes, they are flexible with repayment. Some people plan to never pay it off because it is usually a low interest rate, can't be declared in bankruptcy, and will hopefully be easier to pay off as they increase their wages.

I don't doubt that it will help some people, but once again, this is a blanket policy that is not targeted to those that need it. The threshold is set at $125K. Even accounting for inflation, I didn't make anywhere close to that kind of money when I retired. It's twice as high as it needs to be. A complete waste of taxpayer money.

Aseahawkfan wrote:The world ain't fair. Never has been, never will be. You know this and so does everyone else.

You could use that argument to justify nearly any government action. Let's cut welfare payments. Who cares if you were born into poverty or have a debilitating handicap? Life's not fair, get used to it! Part of government's role is to try as much as possible to make life fair, to give everyone a fair shot, to even the playing field, is it not? Fairness needs to be the first question that is asked of any legislation. Who is going to benefit? Who is going to pay?

Point is that we are rewarding those people that made bad decisions and are penalizing those that didn't.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:27 pm

Point is that we are rewarding those people that made bad decisions and are penalizing those that didn't.

Bad decisions....about predatory loans? Sure. For some that were trying to get a higher education, perhaps that was the only option on the table? What I find hilarious is how republicans like Ted Cruz try to summarize it as a bunch of lazy good for nothings trying to cruise on others' pockets. It shows how out of touch the party is. The best real fix in the future is to make predatory education loan practices legal. Make it easier to get a college education.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:15 pm

I-5 wrote:Bad decisions....about predatory loans? Sure. For some that were trying to get a higher education, perhaps that was the only option on the table? What I find hilarious is how republicans like Ted Cruz try to summarize it as a bunch of lazy good for nothings trying to cruise on others' pockets. It shows how out of touch the party is. The best real fix in the future is to make predatory education loan practices legal. Make it easier to get a college education.

There are so many problems with the way we sell education that I feel absolutely nothing about this loan forgiveness. Drop in the bucket for a much bigger problem that is saddling people with life crushing debt as they desperately pursue some kind of marketable education to make a living.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:03 pm

Seriously! In the 70's and 80's a person didn't have to go in debt for life to attend college. Community colleges and most state colleges we free or nearly free then. Now getting a college degree for someone not coming from wealth means having to take out some of the most ridiculous compound interest loans out their. It's worse than the predatory housing loans of the 90's (2000's?) that caused the housing crash.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:12 pm

I-5 wrote:Bad decisions....about predatory loans? Sure. For some that were trying to get a higher education, perhaps that was the only option on the table? What I find hilarious is how republicans like Ted Cruz try to summarize it as a bunch of lazy good for nothings trying to cruise on others' pockets. It shows how out of touch the party is. The best real fix in the future is to make predatory education loan practices legal. Make it easier to get a college education.

When I spoke of those that made bad decisions, I was speaking of a certain, unknown number that obviously exists. I was not generalizing.

Seriously, how many are victims of predatory loans? According to my nephew, the loans he took out have very liberal terms, are variable depending on his income, can be suspended if he loses his job. Does not the government have to approve these loans or financial institutions to make them?

I've mentioned repeatedly, to you and other posters, that this initiative does nothing to address the problem of college affordability, does nothing to improve access to higher education, and does nothing to improve our educational system in general. Do you disagree? If so, please articulate.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:40 pm

RiverDog wrote:When I spoke of those that made bad decisions, I was speaking of a certain, unknown number that obviously exists. I was not generalizing.

Seriously, how many are victims of predatory loans? According to my nephew, the loans he took out have very liberal terms, are variable depending on his income, can be suspended if he loses his job. Does not the government have to approve these loans or financial institutions to make them?

I've mentioned repeatedly, to you and other posters, that this initiative does nothing to address the problem of college affordability, does nothing to improve access to higher education, and does nothing to improve our educational system in general. Do you disagree? If so, please articulate.

Your nephew has loans that are 360,000? How long will that take him to pay?

The predatory nature is the selling of an improved life with a degree from a college institution with unaudited education like University of Phoenix or some similar school with lower entry requirements to entice low performing students not well-suited to school to desperately go to school trying to improve their situation paying exorbitant out of state tuition at around 4 to 5% building crushing debt to pursue life improvement.

Federal student loans are not bad. And you can intelligently use the system. But once again that leads us back to how many High School kids and their parents learn enough to judge the quality of a loan? Or are so focused out of High School they are ready to immediately start a four year degree in a profession that will earn them a good income? The High School system does such a poor job that you have students leaving High School, taking competency exams, then being forced to pay for remedial classes in math and English that cost them additional funds that become part of the loan.

There has been very little auditing of educational institutions approved to offer loans that has led to some high profile cases of predatory education lending.

On top of that creating an education system based on debt as we have done is having the same effect on education loans have had on property prices: it shoves a lot of money into the system driving up demand immensely and raising the cost to such a level that people are taking out loans that take years to pay out and it is continuing to become increasingly expensive to obtain an education. It's been rising for years.

That's why this discussion is not easy to isolate as the current state of education with rising costs and trillions in loans along with a K1 to K12 that doesn't adequately prepare people is looking more and more like a giant scam.

https://educationdata.org/student-loan-debt-statistics

Don't you ever stop and think about what kind of life we're leaving for the future generations? Debt for their education. Debt for their house. Debt for their car. It's going to be highly unusual for an American to die with no debt in the future. Their entire life spent owing borrowed money from the start of their education to the day they die trying to pay off a house. It's a pretty crappy way to set everything up, while providing so little guidance on profitable professions and helping young Americans graduate prepared for a career path rather than randomly taking classes hoping they find what they want to do while taking out loans.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:27 pm

Well, Biden has already forgiven billions in loans for those who were duped by U. Of Phoenix and ITT and the like, so, that’s not what this order was for.

And I don’t know what’s so hard to acknowledge that this should have been targeted help. Someone with $60k in debt making $30k is going to have a much harder time managing their debt than someone with $30k in debt making $60k.

And this isn’t even close to a step in the right direction. Does zero to change the game for the better.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:54 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Well, Biden has already forgiven billions in loans for those who were duped by U. Of Phoenix and ITT and the like, so, that’s not what this order was for.

And I don’t know what’s so hard to acknowledge that this should have been targeted help. Someone with $60k in debt making $30k is going to have a much harder time managing their debt than someone with $30k in debt making $60k.

And this isn’t even close to a step in the right direction. Does zero to change the game for the better.

It could have been more targeted.

And we'll see if it even makes it through the system without some kind of legal opposition. It may get blocked.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:12 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Seriously! In the 70's and 80's a person didn't have to go in debt for life to attend college. Community colleges and most state colleges we free or nearly free then. Now getting a college degree for someone not coming from wealth means having to take out some of the most ridiculous compound interest loans out their. It's worse than the predatory housing loans of the 90's (2000's?) that caused the housing crash.

That's absolutely true. When I went to college in the mid 70's at what was then EWSC (now EWU), tuition was $169/quarter. My estimated costs to attend 4.25 years of college, which included room and board and personal expenses, was from $10-$12K. Even factoring in inflation, it's much higher nowadays. I paid my own way through school without the benefit of a scholarship or grant or assistance from my parents...except for the $20 bills dad used to slip me occasionally. I saved my money, from the time I first started working at 13 years old until I was 23 and out of college. I graduated with zero debt.

But I had work virtually anytime I wanted it. During the summers when I was in junior high and high school, I worked 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week. For several weeks during pea harvest and for 6 weeks during wheat harvest, I would work 7 days a week. I was considered farm labor, so I didn't get paid an overtime premium. Had there been one, I would have been lucky to get half of those hours in. There were no laws restricting how many hours a minor could work.

Bottom line is that the conditions in the 70's and 80's are by no way, shape, or form, applicable to conditions in 2022. Times have changed, in more ways than one. It's a whole new ball game.

But I keep asking a question that both you and ASF seem to be ducking, so I'll highlight it in bold: What does this initiative do to address your concerns? Does it stop the practice of predatory loans? Do you seriously think that someone making a single income of $125K really needs this handout?
Last edited by RiverDog on Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:26 am

RiverDog wrote:When I spoke of those that made bad decisions, I was speaking of a certain, unknown number that obviously exists. I was not generalizing.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Your nephew has loans that are 360,000? How long will that take him to pay?

I don't know. He lives in Portland, about a 4 hour drive from me, and I only get to see him a few times a year.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Don't you ever stop and think about what kind of life we're leaving for the future generations? Debt for their education. Debt for their house. Debt for their car. It's going to be highly unusual for an American to die with no debt in the future. Their entire life spent owing borrowed money from the start of their education to the day they die trying to pay off a house. It's a pretty crappy way to set everything up, while providing so little guidance on profitable professions and helping young Americans graduate prepared for a career path rather than randomly taking classes hoping they find what they want to do while taking out loans.

Once again, how does this initiative help future generations? You and C-Bob keep ducking that question because you either don't know the answer or if you do know it, you don't want to admit it.

Regardless of whether or not I agree with you, what you're talking about is completely irrelevant to this initiative.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:18 am

RiverDog wrote:Once again, how does this initiative help future generations? You and C-Bob keep ducking that question because you either don't know the answer or if you do know it, you don't want to admit it.

Regardless of whether or not I agree with you, what you're talking about is completely irrelevant to this initiative.

I'll explain it again in a little more detail like I did a bit up. You're a business major like me. I figured you would understand how debt works, the time value of money, and how inflation affects it. I broke this down for you and maybe a few others who understand the economics of debt like maybe Mack. That is why I figured you were keeping your arguments to ethical arguments because I already explained the beneficial effect of debt forgiveness in an inflationary environment. Money is not static. 10,000 dollars loses it's buying power over time. If you had 10,000 when you were young, you could probably put a down payment on a house or buy a car outright. 10,000 dollars in the modern day doesn't have as much value and you couldn't even afford a new car and it would be maybe 1/10th the necessary amount for a down payment on a house.

I broke down how it was past money that is already a sunk cost with a return of aruond 5% which at the current rate of inflation is a loss of 3.5%. The base value of the 10,000 dollars awarded has been reduced by the inflation amount yearly which makes it so 10,000 dollars forgiven right now is roughly only 9,200 dollars forgiven and reduced with each passing year of inflation. The taxes on the 10,000 expenditure has also already been collected, so has the revenue by the school. The bank or lending institution is losing a roughly 5% per annual return and the base value of the principle whose buying power is reduced by inflation yearly.

Thus the taxes, consumption, and overall economic activity of 10,000 to 20,000 additional consumption in the modern day allows current taxes and businesses to collected again on the same 10,000 dollars which has already been spent and is generating no additional taxation or consumption and is only generating a 5% return.

This is one of the reasons why it is so easy to declare bankruptcy in the United States for a business entity, especially for corporations because the way debt and money works is it is wiser to allow a wealthy person to protect a good deal of their investible assets by virtue of incorporating so only the business itself collapses with the debt and losses absorbed by the various entities who have invested in the going concern freeing up investment while eliminating a company that isn't capable of sustaining itself while allowing investors and companies to write off the losses against future taxable profits.

It's not different for the government forgiving debt. Debt is not a constant. It's not "We robbed hard working taxpayers." It's actually a very calculated way of creating room for additional consumption, growth, and taxation from a sunk cost. Private institutions like banks write off unpaid debts all the time as do companies and governments.

On top of that, the students having the debt forgiven will produce a much higher level of taxation than the taxpayers that originally paid into the revenues that loaned the original 10,000 dollars. Given the higher taxes on consumption and labor, the return on investment for the taxpayer from the additional consumption by the receiver of consumed debt will be quite a bit more than the 5% return. For example if a Washington State student has 10,000 dollars forgiven and they spend 10,000 dollars on consumable items with the current 10% sales tax rate the government gains 5% on the expenditure above the 5% annual return which becomes a smaller and smaller amount as inflation eats the principle and the interest calculation is based on the smaller and smaller principle of the loan.

Suffice it to say economically speaking, the debt forgiveness will be a small, but meaningful overall gain for the economy. I'm sure there are some Republican spinning this another way relying on the economic ignorance of the American public and their voting bloc, but use them business skills you learned and analyze the movement of the money from the debt given the current rate of return on the loan, the current inflation rate, and the idea of a sunk cost with profit, taxes, and all associated fees and other profit generating benefits having been collected from a sunk loan.

It's like when you buy a house and pay your escrow fees, your real estate agent, and all other associated fees as well as the house seller during the initial purchase. Then your house becomes a sunk cost that operates like a bond for the bank earning a yearly return based on the interest rate they charge you. They could make more money investing the money in the S&P index at a higher risk, but they would not have the collateralized home with a rising property value set against the value of the loan which lowers their risk substantially and acts as an inflation hedge which is why the interest rates are often set according to The Fed rate as the Fed rate rises to dampen inflation. Which is why homeowners with big loans benefit greatly from inflation as the time value of the borrowed money is greatly lessened by the increasing value of their property and rising wages.

It's no different with student loan forgiveness.

The economics of this move are beneficial in the long run. Debt forgiveness, tax cuts, tax credits, and the like are all generally beneficial to the economy as they act in a stimulative fashion to encourage growth.

And as I explained, the government needs to inflate their way out of the COVID debt bubble they built up, but they wont' tell you that.

As far as the ethics, sure, it could have been better targeted and it seems like more scattershot handouts to garner votes. But on a base economic level in the current inflationary environment it will be a net positive due to the way debt works in relation to inflation and the time value of money.

That's the best I can do at the moment to explain positive economic effect on the economy without doing a bunch of math and writing a long paper. This is one of the reasons why I try to simply assure you and others this is a completely fine move by the government, just like the bailouts were fine, and the economic stimulation to keep the economy afloat during lockdowns. But now we have to clean some of it up and that will require some inflation as well as a break on the inflation with rising interest rates to try to reach the "soft landing" as much as possible.

I've analyzed the economics of this move. It's completely fine for future generations, the current generation, and even your generation who is going to need a really strong labor force to ensure your social security and medicare is paid for including the coming COLA increases.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:11 am

I appreciate your taking the time you have taken to compose that post and I understand your economic analysis, but it still doesn't answer my question: What does student loan forgiveness going to do to address future problems in financing education or to improve our educational system in general? Is it going to crack down on predatory loans? Just one example will do.

It's completely retroactive, addressing past injustices, like repatriations for slavery.

I am sensitive to the student loan issue, and had Biden lowered the threshold to something less than an individual income of $75,000, I would have been a lot more agreeable with it. But he didn't. I would also have an open mind if he were to propose legislation to regulate student loans, or to make post secondary education more affordable and accessible. But he didn't. Those are deal breakers for me.

If we don't fix what's wrong, then we'll be right back to the same dilemma a few years from now and hand out another half billion of the taxpayer's money. Where will it stop?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:28 am

Hell of a write up, Asea, but I’m not sure it gets it all. Someone with $50k indent that gets $10k forgiven is still $40k in debt. Even if their payment gets slightly adjusted down for the reduced principal, they’ll still be in roughly the same financial situation. They won’t be spending much more than they were previously. I also was chatting with an acquaintance on FB about this. To his credit, he paid his loans aggressively during the during pause. Retired nothing but principal for two years, so this $10k shot is a bigger deal for him. He’ll be done with his loans much sooner than before and be able to redirect his cash elsewhere. It is going to be a very uneven benefit, if it really benefits some at all.

And I’ll beat the dead horse with River on the band aid nature of this. It’s not addressing cost of education, educating students on debt and benefit of desired major, or reigning in lenders.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:07 am

Providing comfort to someone afflicted with a disease does nothing to address the cause of the disease but it's still the right thing to do Riv. Your argument sucks.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic