Fitness/Sport Goals

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Fitness/Sport Goals

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:18 pm

Let's do a different kind of thread. See if anyone does anything interesting on the fitness or sport front.

I like to lift weights as my preferred form of fitness/sport. This COVID lockdown was a pretty big setback for me as I was getting back into shape after a long layoff from weight training due to an injury.

Pre-COVID: I was 230 at 5'11". Bench Press: 300/Squat: 395/Deadlift: 445/Overhead Press: 215.

I had worked back to the above after about a 15 year layoff of lifting weights. I did some cardio work between the layoff, but I have no great love of cardio. It's pretty far off my all time best lifts of 525 in the squat and 400 in the bench, but respectable given I worked back to the above in my late 40s.

So now post-COVID I've started lifting again. I'm 51 now. I blew up to 294. I'm looking to bring my weight down while bringing all my big lifts back up.

Post-COVID after about 3 or 4 months back at the gym 2 or 3 days a week I'm at the following: Bench Press: 285/Squat: 315/Deadlift: 335/Overhead Press: 225

So my lifts are coming back up. At this age I'm extra careful lifting as I don't need another big injury that will cause a long layoff. The goal is to bring my weight down again, all my lifts up, but do a slower approach as before I was feeling very glycogen depleted and recovery was slow due to dieting.

I'd like to hit about 220 while hitting the following weight goals:

Bench Press: 315/Squat: 405/Deadlift: 500/Overhead Press: 265

Bench press comes up easy. I should hit that fairly soon. Squat and deadlift take more work as recovery is rough still working full time. I'm extra careful with these lifts as bad form or pushing too hard leads to injury. Overhead press is just a slow lift to build up as it takes a strong ability to brace using the overall body.

I was thinking of documenting the advancement on Youtube, but I don't feel like recording in the gym all the time. I'll document on here for now. See what can be done in the 50s weightlifting.

Anyone else want to hop on with some fitness or health goals to inspire others. Hop on it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Re: Fitness/Sport Goals

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:04 am

I've never been a workout warrior and am even less so as I grow older, so I'm not going to be much of a partner with you in this discussion. I used to jog alot, 10k per day every day at one point, and I played racquetball 3-4 times a week for about 25 years.

However, I do try to stay active. I have a 20 minute routine on my elliptical followed by a 45 minute walk with my dog that's done by 6am in the summer, 8:30 or 9am in the winter. I stay active keeping our 1 acre lot maintained. I'd like to lose about 30 pounds.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:57 am

RiverDog wrote:I've never been a workout warrior and am even less so as I grow older, so I'm not going to be much of a partner with you in this discussion. I used to jog alot, 10k per day every day at one point, and I played racquetball 3-4 times a week for about 25 years.

However, I do try to stay active. I have a 20 minute routine on my elliptical followed by a 45 minute walk with my dog that's done by 6am in the summer, 8:30 or 9am in the winter. I stay active keeping our 1 acre lot maintained. I'd like to lose about 30 pounds.

Probably not a lot of interest in a forum of older people like this. If it keeps a little more accountable, I'll enjoy it. I'll update every few months. See where I get. Maybe someone else will jump if any other lifters or runners or what not are on the forum.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:13 am

I stopped lifting maybe 20 years ago. About 13 years ago, after 3 knee surgeries, a broken vertebrae and a mild heart attack I moved from out west (Colorado, Utah, California) where I always had a health club membership to semi rural Kentucky where there were very many fewer such options and pretty much became completely inactive other than work and mowing my lawn... I wound up 370lbs, type 2 diabetic, wore knee and back braces and had to use a cane and was developing a dependency on opioid pain medications.

Then about 5 years ago I broke my acromion (the "A" in you A/C joint) and tore my supraspinatus in my left shoulder. A few months later when they were giving me my work release the rehab therapist pulled me aside and said "look, if you don't do something now in 10 years you're just going to be a crippled old man with a bum shoulder" and advised I get a membership at the only place in my area (a few miles out of town) that had a swimming pool and start swimming a couple laps 2 or 3 times a week.

I did just that and in the first couple years dropped 30 lbs and cut all my blood pressure medications in half. Then I got more serious and added a keto diet to the mix and noe I'm down to 290 and I swim a mile 3 times a week and am no longer diabetic! My A1Cs are 5.4 (down from over 8), my cholesterol levels are in order, I've completely gotten off diabetic medications and opioid pain meds. I still want to lose about 50 more pounds but am quite pleased with my results so far.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:13 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I stopped lifting maybe 20 years ago. About 13 years ago, after 3 knee surgeries, a broken vertebrae and a mild heart attack I moved from out west (Colorado, Utah, California) where I always had a health club membership to semi rural Kentucky where there were very many fewer such options and pretty much became completely inactive other than work and mowing my lawn... I wound up 370lbs, type 2 diabetic, wore knee and back braces and had to use a cane and was developing a dependency on opioid pain medications.

Then about 5 years ago I broke my acromion (the "A" in you A/C joint) and tore my supraspinatus in my left shoulder. A few months later when they were giving me my work release the rehab therapist pulled me aside and said "look, if you don't do something now in 10 years you're just going to be a crippled old man with a bum shoulder" and advised I get a membership at the only place in my area (a few miles out of town) that had a swimming pool and start swimming a couple laps 2 or 3 times a week.

I did just that and in the first couple years dropped 30 lbs and cut all my blood pressure medications in half. Then I got more serious and added a keto diet to the mix and noe I'm down to 290 and I swim a mile 3 times a week and am no longer diabetic! My A1Cs are 5.4 (down from over 8), my cholesterol levels are in order, I've completely gotten off diabetic medications and opioid pain meds. I still want to lose about 50 more pounds but am quite pleased with my results so far.

Damn, c-bob, congratulations. That is a huge accomplishment. Glad to hear you were able to get so many health issues in better order with some swimming. Swimming is a great fully body exercise that doesn't cause a lot of joint issues.

I'm on blood pressure medications as well. Dropping weight does wonders for my blood pressure. I'd like to get down to about 220 myself and get off these medications or at least a few of them. I had to get on BP meds back when I was in my mid 30s when a dentist checked my blood pressure for wisdom teeth surgery. I dropped weight back then to get the BP in order, but my weight fluctuated afterwards and it reached a point where taking the BP medication was safer than waiting for it come down from weight loss. Blood pressure is too serious for me to let it go.

This is kind of inspiration for getting into better shape I like to hear. It gets harder as you get older, but you can still get your health better with a little work on top of the meds and some doctor help.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:21 am

I pumped iron when I was in my 20s . Never got as far as Asea is right now but I was a big handsome dude . I’ve worked extreme physical work my entire life but in 2017 I had a heart attack and a gi bleed within 3 months . I started dieting and went from 285 to 220 in 3 months . Kept it off 2 years . Gained it all back in the winter of 19 but since I went to work at legacy in Jan 20 I’m at 250. I try to walk but have no schedule although I am a power walking mofo everywhere including Safeway etc . I eat half healthy and half crap . Drink more than I should . The wife and I have been walking on the beach for our 30th second honeymoon and I already feel better ..we’re talking about getting more serious about our health. I’m 11.5 years older so it’s important for me to keep up . If I don’t shape up you all might be wondering what happened to old HT.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:30 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I pumped iron when I was in my 20s . Never got as far as Asea is right now but I was a big handsome dude . I’ve worked extreme physical work my entire life but in 2017 I had a heart attack and a gi bleed within 3 months . I started dieting and went from 285 to 220 in 3 months . Kept it off 2 years . Gained it all back in the winter of 19 but since I went to work at legacy in Jan 20 I’m at 250. I try to walk but have no schedule although I am a power walking mofo everywhere including Safeway etc . I eat half healthy and half crap . Drink more than I should . The wife and I have been walking on the beach for our 30th second honeymoon and I already feel better ..we’re talking about getting more serious about our health. I’m 11.5 years older so it’s important for me to keep up . If I don’t shape up you all might be wondering what happened to old HT.

Keep your health up, HT. Worth more than money as you get older and it may save you a lot of money in doctor's visits.

I find lifting is the closest thing I've found to the fountain of youth as I age.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:57 pm

I agree Asea . Nothing like lifting to microwave your physique . Unfortunately I’m dealing with 2 destroyed shoulders , 1 already had surgery the year we won it all and is back to locked up . My hands , elbows all very arthritic . Walking and diet and very light weights is all I got
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:28 am

Goal: Bench Press: 315/Squat: 405/Deadlift: 500/Overhead Press: 265

Current Lifts: Bench Press: 305/Squat: 315/Deadlift: 335/Overhead Press: 225

I just hit 305 on the bench press. Probably could hit 315, but better slow and safe.

I was spreading my recovery resources thin, so going to focus on the squat for right now until I hit 405 before working on the deadlift. Deadlift training is too fatiguing and hammers my recover for the week. I wasn't getting squat volume in squatting one day a week and deadlifting the other. I'm making good progress.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:53 pm

Goal: Bench Press: 315/Squat: 405/Deadlift: 500/Overhead Press: 265

Current Lifts: Bench Press: 305/Squat: 325/Deadlift: 335/Overhead Press: 225

Added 10 lbs. to the squat. Had some nagging muscle irritation that slowed progress a bit. Focusing on the squat right now, so hopefully the gains will come once I get the hamstrings strengthened to deal with the load.

High bar squat works the hamstring less than the low bar, but is easier on the shoulders when placed on the back. For me it does require more hamstring work to ensure the quad to hamstring strength stays close enough so the hamstrings don't cause injury issues.

Weightlifting showed me why hamstring work and injuries can cause issues all through the muscular and skeletal system. They do a lot of work in explosive activity with the lower body.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Return to Off Topic