A gift from Inslee

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

A gift from Inslee

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:05 am

I’ve been employed as a turf manager on a golf course , actually 5 over the past 37 years . As you know the state has been agressive in raising minimum wage . A couple of years ago this state decided to impose a minimum salary requirement at 2x minimum wage 172 hrs per month . I’ve always been salary in this industry . Turf doesn’t give a damn if you are tired. Just in the last year I had a 17.5 hour day , 16.5 , 3 15s in a row . Covid helped a lot but golf struggled for decades . Now my employer is being asked to bump my wage 15 % in a down year with a retracting Real estate market . I don’t know if they will pay it or not . I’ve made it plain to ownership I don’t see it as an hourly position and I won’t accept the change so I’m either making 15% more than ever in my life or my career is going to end . The GM says I’ll get it but even if I do I know this stupid SOB in Olympia is killing golf management and hurting the entire industry . We are exceptional people who understand what’s required and do it willingly at a price that helps balance the budget . I’ll never punch a clock 40 hours and watch it burn up as I rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic .
Thanks but no thanks . At a minimum I should be able to sign a waiver .

I don’t need or want your help Inslee . You’re killing mid management .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: A gift from Inslee

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:02 am

Hawktawk wrote:I’ve been employed as a turf manager on a golf course , actually 5 over the past 37 years . As you know the state has been agressive in raising minimum wage . A couple of years ago this state decided to impose a minimum salary requirement at 2x minimum wage 172 hrs per month . I’ve always been salary in this industry . Turf doesn’t give a damn if you are tired. Just in the last year I had a 17.5 hour day , 16.5 , 3 15s in a row . Covid helped a lot but golf struggled for decades . Now my employer is being asked to bump my wage 15 % in a down year with a retracting Real estate market . I don’t know if they will pay it or not . I’ve made it plain to ownership I don’t see it as an hourly position and I won’t accept the change so I’m either making 15% more than ever in my life or my career is going to end . The GM says I’ll get it but even if I do I know this stupid SOB in Olympia is killing golf management and hurting the entire industry . We are exceptional people who understand what’s required and do it willingly at a price that helps balance the budget . I’ll never punch a clock 40 hours and watch it burn up as I rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic .
Thanks but no thanks . At a minimum I should be able to sign a waiver .

I don’t need or want your help Inslee . You’re killing mid management .

I can get you an interview very close to where you live. We have plants in Warden, Quincy, Connell, and Pasco. My former boss, of whom I still maintain a close relationship with (he helped me celebrate my birthday last week) is the production manager at our Pasco plant. Wages are at or slightly above the industry standard but the benefits are awesome, ie 401K, health care, etc. Send me a PM if you're interested.

In this labor market, there is no reason why you need to be held hostage by an employer or constrained by our state government. If you don't get what you want, don't hesitate to change jobs.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:11 am

Well thanks River . At 63 and racked with arthritis I’m more likely gonna take my little government backstop and try to use my personality and voice to make up difference . I have 6 hours of air time weekly at KBSN if I want it doing talk radio . I’m also exploring a podcast or you tube page . Format could be anything from sports to politics . Anyway that’s kind of where I’m leaning .

Riv I’m not upset with my employer . He’s already losing money . It’s this nanny state cradle to grave government overreach I’m just annoyed by .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:20 am

Hawktawk wrote:Well thanks River . At 63 and racked with arthritis I’m more likely gonna take my little government backstop and try to use my personality and voice to make up difference . I have 6 hours of air time weekly at KBSN if I want it doing talk radio . I’m also exploring a podcast or you tube page . Format could be anything from sports to politics . Anyway that’s kind of where I’m leaning .

Riv I’m not upset with my employer . He’s already losing money . It’s this nanny state cradle to grave government overreach I’m just annoyed by .

I hear ya, my friend. Your employer's hands are tied. I shouldn't have used the terminology I did, but I wanted to make a point that you need not be tied down to a specific job.

Just keep my offer in mind. I understand some of your physical limitations, but unless it's severe, it's not likely to be a deal breaker as long as you're honest about it in an interview. Let me know if I can help.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:17 am

I don't think I get it, you're ready to quit rather than accept a 15% increase in pay?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:41 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I don't think I get it, you're ready to quit rather than accept a 15% increase in pay?

I think what he's saying is that rather than paying him the state mandated 15% raise, of which his golf course can't afford to pay, they may opt to pay him at an hourly rate.

Is that right, Hawktawk?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:45 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I don't think I get it, you're ready to quit rather than accept a 15% increase in pay?

From what I understand, it has more to do with moving from salary to hourly which it seems the wage law is indicating his employer must do to meet the requirements. HT prefers being salary as his particular job might have some very busy days where he works a lot of hours and some very slow days where he isn't forced to work a certain number of hours to make enough money. His employer can't afford overtime and the hourly increase, so he was providing perks in the form of flexible work times and hours according to how much work is needed which a hourly job would take away.

That is what I'm getting out of it. The golf course management industry seems to operate differently than standard jobs and a wage law forcing hourly work doesn't jive well with the ebbs and flows of golf course management.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:16 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:From what I understand, it has more to do with moving from salary to hourly which it seems the wage law is indicating his employer must do to meet the requirements. HT prefers being salary as his particular job might have some very busy days where he works a lot of hours and some very slow days where he isn't forced to work a certain number of hours to make enough money. His employer can't afford overtime and the hourly increase, so he was providing perks in the form of flexible work times and hours according to how much work is needed which a hourly job would take away.

That is what I'm getting out of it. The golf course management industry seems to operate differently than standard jobs and a wage law forcing hourly work doesn't jive well with the ebbs and flows of golf course management.

Millennials aren't golfing. Since the turn of the century, golfing has been in decline. It's obviously putting a lot of pressure on Hawktawk's employer, that they're in a market with low demand, so they can't raise their prices in order to pay for higher wages.

There is absolutely no reason for the government to be mandating wages in this economy where there's a severe labor shortage. Let the market drive what people earn. That's one of the reasons why I'll never be a consistent voter for the Dems. Inslee is an idiot.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:27 am

I’ll quit before being asked to punch a clock and limit hours to 40 if my employer tells me to do it rather than pay the increase and keep me on salary . They have already done it with other management positions . Turf management on a limited budget is the wrong job for that to work .

I have a buddy with 7 fast food outlets . When this law passed they eliminated all mid management positions in that corporation . This hurt them and these employees . The problem is business understands this isn’t going to get better . Minimum wage is one thing . I get that . Minimum salary not so much .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:06 pm

RiverDog wrote:Millennials aren't golfing. Since the turn of the century, golfing has been in decline. It's obviously putting a lot of pressure on Hawktawk's employer, that they're in a market with low demand, so they can't raise their prices in order to pay for higher wages.

There is absolutely no reason for the government to be mandating wages in this economy where there's a severe labor shortage. Let the market drive what people earn. That's one of the reasons why I'll never be a consistent voter for the Dems. Inslee is an idiot.

I despise Jay Inslee, but that's because he put a moratorium on the death penalty protecting some sick child killer from being put down like the sick animal he is.

Inslee is a crap governor. I vote against him every time.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:23 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I despise Jay Inslee, but that's because he put a moratorium on the death penalty protecting some sick child killer from being put down like the sick animal he is.

Inslee is a crap governor. I vote against him every time.

I had to vote fore Inslee the last time around because of the alternative. Loren Culp is a Trumper.

I'm against the death penalty, but not for moral reasons. If it were me, I'd hang any sick SOB child killer from the highest tree I could find. My objections are financial, the cost of prosecuting and carrying out a capitol offense case.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:47 pm

RiverDog wrote:I had to vote fore Inslee the last time around because of the alternative. Loren Culp is a Trumper.

I'm against the death penalty, but not for moral reasons. If it were me, I'd hang any sick SOB child killer from the highest tree I could find. My objections are financial, the cost of prosecuting and carrying out a capitol offense case.

Not me. If the crime is bad enough, it needs to happen. When some guy murders grandparents and their grandchildren and it's pretty much 100% proven, you need to not waste time putting that person down. If it costs some to prosecute a capital case, you pay it. They could make the whole process far more efficient if they focused on cases that were bad enough to warrant it without any question of who did it. That isn't many if any liberal states. States like Texas have no patience for such people and take care of that garbage.

This is the case. I'm sorry, you do this and you gotta go. I don't care how much it costs, you should be done. I will always despise Jay Inslee for preventing what should have come down on this piece of garbage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Carnation_murders
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:58 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Not me. If the crime is bad enough, it needs to happen. When some guy murders grandparents and their grandchildren and it's pretty much 100% proven, you need to not waste time putting that person down. If it costs some to prosecute a capital case, you pay it. They could make the whole process far more efficient if they focused on cases that were bad enough to warrant it without any question of who did it. That isn't many if any liberal states. States like Texas have no patience for such people and take care of that garbage.

This is the case. I'm sorry, you do this and you gotta go. I don't care how much it costs, you should be done. I will always despise Jay Inslee for preventing what should have come down on this piece of garbage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Carnation_murders

If they actually executed them in a timely manner, then I wouldn't mind paying the extra money. But that doesn't happen. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Mitchell Edward Rupe (1955 – February 7, 2006) was a convicted murderer who achieved notoriety when his death sentence was overturned after a judge determined that Rupe was too obese to hang.

On the morning of September 17, 1981 Rupe fatally shot bank tellers Candace Hemmig and Twila Capron during a robbery of Tumwater State Bank in Olympia, Washington.

His death sentence was overturned twice, the second time being in 1994 when United States federal judge Thomas S. Zilly ruled that Rupe was too heavy to hang. Rupe was over 425 pounds at the time (as high as the scale went) and the judge was concerned that execution by hanging could cause Rupe to be decapitated, which would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

Rupe gained a bunch of weight in prison by eating dozens of candy bars a day that the state willingly gave him. At the time, Washington gave the convicted an option, either lethal injection or hanging. Rupe chose to hang, and rather than tell him that he had to die by lethal injection due to the concern of possible decapitation, the judge suspended the sentence.

Rupe was re-sentenced a third time in 2000 by a new jury. After a two-week sentencing hearing, Rupe escaped a new death sentence when the jury deadlocked by an 11–1 vote in favor of the death penalty, falling short of the unanimous verdict required by Washington law for imposition of a death sentence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Rupe

Note how long he was on death row: He committed the crime in September of 1981, was finally spared the death penalty in 2000, 19 years after he committed the murders he was convicted of, because one of the 36 jurists that considered his fate (he was sentenced 3 times) voted not to execute him. That is absurd. All it did was make a bunch of lawyers filthy rich off the taxpayer's dime, then ended up dying in prison of natural causes. The system is perverted, and until they reform the system, I will not support capital punishment.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:49 pm

Friend of mine Tim lived on Bainbridge Island, near Inslee. Really nice guy, he knew everyone's name on the block, but his ideas came out of the sewage treatment plant right down the road.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:50 pm

RiverDog wrote:If they actually executed them in a timely manner, then I wouldn't mind paying the extra money. But that doesn't happen. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Mitchell Edward Rupe (1955 – February 7, 2006) was a convicted murderer who achieved notoriety when his death sentence was overturned after a judge determined that Rupe was too obese to hang.

On the morning of September 17, 1981 Rupe fatally shot bank tellers Candace Hemmig and Twila Capron during a robbery of Tumwater State Bank in Olympia, Washington.

His death sentence was overturned twice, the second time being in 1994 when United States federal judge Thomas S. Zilly ruled that Rupe was too heavy to hang. Rupe was over 425 pounds at the time (as high as the scale went) and the judge was concerned that execution by hanging could cause Rupe to be decapitated, which would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

Rupe gained a bunch of weight in prison by eating dozens of candy bars a day that the state willingly gave him. At the time, Washington gave the convicted an option, either lethal injection or hanging. Rupe chose to hang, and rather than tell him that he had to die by lethal injection due to the concern of possible decapitation, the judge suspended the sentence.

Rupe was re-sentenced a third time in 2000 by a new jury. After a two-week sentencing hearing, Rupe escaped a new death sentence when the jury deadlocked by an 11–1 vote in favor of the death penalty, falling short of the unanimous verdict required by Washington law for imposition of a death sentence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Rupe

Note how long he was on death row: He committed the crime in September of 1981, was finally spared the death penalty in 2000, 19 years after he committed the murders he was convicted of, because one of the 36 jurists that considered his fate (he was sentenced 3 times) voted not to execute him. That is absurd. All it did was make a bunch of lawyers filthy rich off the taxpayer's dime, then ended up dying in prison of natural causes. The system is perverted, and until they reform the system, I will not support capital punishment.

That guy sounds terrible.

There's something offensive about killing a grandparents, their kids, and their grandchildren that are 3 and 5 year olds. It's one of those crime that is so offensive I would volunteer to help kill them to get rid of such people in the world.

Child killers are a level of scum where no mercy should be shown by either political party.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:01 am

My vote went to Daffy Duck for Governor . I could not support MAGA or Inslee . It will be my vote for senator . I’m considering bailing on the entire process other than down ballet races . Both parties AND their voters make me sick . MAGA more because at least libs don’t destroy the Americans faith in elections . MAGA needs to die but it won’t , I have no alternative . This might be my last election . The hell with all of it . .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:21 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:That guy sounds terrible.

There's something offensive about killing a grandparents, their kids, and their grandchildren that are 3 and 5 year olds. It's one of those crime that is so offensive I would volunteer to help kill them to get rid of such people in the world.

Child killers are a level of scum where no mercy should be shown by either political party.

I completely agree, and like I said, if it were me, I'd hang them from the highest tree I could find.

But the reality is that even though we have a death penalty law on the books, it's been 12 years since we've executed a prisoner in this state. There is a prisoner on death row that committed their crime in 1988, over 34 years ago. He killed a 12 year old girl by bludgeoning her to death. Another prisoner rape and killed a 14 year old girl, in 1995. If we're not going to execute them, then get the law off the books and quit wasting the taxpayer's money by prosecuting them for a punishment they'll never receive. Prosecuting a capital case adds an additional $1 million of taxpayer money in legal expenses while putting the victims' families through a living hell by having to re-live the moment their loved ones were taken from them every time one of those POS is put back on trial.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:00 am

RiverDog wrote:I completely agree, and like I said, if it were me, I'd hang them from the highest tree I could find.

But the reality is that even though we have a death penalty law on the books, it's been 12 years since we've executed a prisoner in this state. There is a prisoner on death row that committed their crime in 1988, over 34 years ago. He killed a 12 year old girl by bludgeoning her to death. Another prisoner rape and killed a 14 year old girl, in 1995. If we're not going to execute them, then get the law off the books and quit wasting the taxpayer's money by prosecuting them for a punishment they'll never receive. Prosecuting a capital case adds an additional $1 million of taxpayer money in legal expenses while putting the victims' families through a living hell by having to re-live the moment their loved ones were taken from them every time one of those POS is put back on trial.

One man has decided he is the sole arbiter of justice. 12 years is about as long as Inslee has been in office. No use getting the law off the books, instead get the scumbag soft on crime governor out of office. Or split off Eastern Washington and bring the hammer back on scumbag criminals at least East of the Mountains since the Democrats thinking paying for child killers that are 100% proven is something they support, even possibly letting these scum back out.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:45 pm

RiverDog wrote:I completely agree, and like I said, if it were me, I'd hang them from the highest tree I could find.

Aseahawkfan wrote:One man has decided he is the sole arbiter of justice. 12 years is about as long as Inslee has been in office. No use getting the law off the books, instead get the scumbag soft on crime governor out of office. Or split off Eastern Washington and bring the hammer back on scumbag criminals at least East of the Mountains since the Democrats thinking paying for child killers that are 100% proven is something they support, even possibly letting these scum back out.

It's more than just one man, and it's more than just the state. The judge that overturned Mitchell Rupe's death penalty was a federal judge as Rupe's attorneys successfully argued that if hung, he'd be decapitated and that it amounted to cruel and unusual punishment, something prohibited by the US Constitution. Never mind that Rupe himself had a choice as to which method his execution was carried out and chose hanging.

There is something fundamentally wrong with our system of justice, and the way we carry out punishment for crimes is right at the top of the list. Hell, look at how Donald Trump has been able to play dodge ball with all the crap he's gotten away with. Our system of justice is why I have kept saying that the Dems won't pin anything on him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic