Idaho murders

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Idaho murders

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:38 am

I’m sure everyone’s been following this . Such a tragic loss of life .

Such a creepy story , creepy guy studying murder forensic kills 4 people and goes right back to class in Pullman . Apparently his cell phone pings placed him near these kids for several weeks before the murders . His neibors said he never slept .

Kudos to law enforcement . I’ll say with things like genealogical dna , all the tracking on electronic devices , cameras on doorbells , every business it’s easier to catch these guys . Doesn’t bring these kids back
I’m glad it’s a death penalty state . Yeah I know innocent till proven guilty but it’s not looking good for this Kholberger dude .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: Idaho murders

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:01 pm

Guys like him are the scary sickos. It wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't killed before but if he hadn't, he was well on his way to becoming another Ted Bundy type of serial killer.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:57 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Guys like him are the scary sickos. It wouldn't surprise me if he hadn't killed before but if he hadn't, he was well on his way to becoming another Ted Bundy type of serial killer.

We will know more when he arrives back in Idaho and they are able to unseal the probable cause and charging documents . What is known is truly chilling .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:11 pm

If this guy is guilty, I hope they put the sick animal down. I'm tired of these serial killers and mass murderers being protected by grandstanding politicians.

This guy wants to cause a bunch of human suffering and pain to fuel some murderous compulsion, we don't need that around. Compost for the plants is his best use.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:43 am

I don't see is politicians nearly as much as myopic judges who only see the letter of the law and the corresponding sentencing guidelines. We need better judges with more latitude to take into account the circumstances surrounding an individual event.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:24 am

When you live in a state with a Governor that put a moratorium on the death penalty in all cases preventing a murderer from being put down that killed three generations of a family: grandparents, parents, and grandchildren, you get tired of politicians and their blanket ideas of "justice."

I'll never think much of Jay Inslee for protecting the scum that did The Carnation Murders from being putdown. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Carnation_murders

That's what Washingtonians deal with now here. I'm glad this piece of garbage if guilty is in a state where they will take care of him. Sick animals need to be put down. Once you engage in murders of this nature, you burned your human card and all I see is a monster I want destroyed.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:36 am

Is executing a criminal a worse punishment than confining him to an 8 x 10 cell for 50 or 60 years?
Sure there's the immediate gratification of vengeance with the death penalty, but there's something to be said about the prolonged punishment of life behind bars.
I'm not sure how I would feel if I was one of the family members of those lost, but I know part of me would get some satisfaction knowing that he will be tormented
until his last day. And maybe over time the why part of the equation would be revealed.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:49 pm

LE seem pretty confident that they have their man, but I haven't seen the smoking gun, like his DNA at the crime scene or a murder weapon. The guy does sound very strange and would seem to fit the profile of someone that might be motivated to commit such a crime, but I want to see the evidence.

Something that is very confusing is how one person could kill 4 others on multiple floors and in different rooms of the same residence. It would seem like he'd have to have at least one accomplice.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:10 pm

RiverDog wrote:LE seem pretty confident that they have their man, but I haven't seen the smoking gun, like his DNA at the crime scene or a murder weapon. The guy does sound very strange and would seem to fit the profile of someone that might be motivated to commit such a crime, but I want to see the evidence.

Something that is very confusing is how one person could kill 4 others on multiple floors and in different rooms of the same residence. It would seem like he'd have to have at least one accomplice.

They believe he acted alone . He’s a wiry dude who roughed up friends growing up. He killed 2 per floor both in the same bed in each room . As for a weapon not to hard to lose a knife in the river . They don’t need it .

They used a publicly available geneology database to reverse engineer the guys DNA found at the scene . There was a lot there but they whittled that down to dna that didn’t belong there . It wasn’t in the database because he had no prior convictions requiring a sample . What the database does is find the guys relatives then they narrow it down . It’s the same thing that caught the golden state killer after 40 years , perfectly legal .

In the case of this guy it helped he had a white Hyundai which was the getaway car . Once they started checking him out it was clear from cell tower pings he was spending much of his time very near the dead people for weeks before they were killed even though he was a student in another town . His neibors said he was up all night . Classmates said he seemed exhausted .

Friends growing up call him weird , mean . Harrassed women at a bar he frequented . None of the behavioral stuff proved anything except frame of mind but I think it’s the right guy . DNA doesn’t lie .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:31 pm

RiverDog wrote:LE seem pretty confident that they have their man, but I haven't seen the smoking gun, like his DNA at the crime scene or a murder weapon. The guy does sound very strange and would seem to fit the profile of someone that might be motivated to commit such a crime, but I want to see the evidence.

Hawktawk wrote:They believe he acted alone . He’s a wiry dude who roughed up friends growing up. He killed 2 per floor both in the same bed in each room . As for a weapon not to hard to lose a knife in the river . They don’t need it .

They used a publicly available geneology database to reverse engineer the guys DNA found at the scene . There was a lot there but they whittled that down to dna that didn’t belong there . It wasn’t in the database because he had no prior convictions requiring a sample . What the database does is find the guys relatives then they narrow it down . It’s the same thing that caught the golden state killer after 40 years , perfectly legal .

In the case of this guy it helped he had a white Hyundai which was the getaway car . Once they started checking him out it was clear from cell tower pings he was spending much of his time very near the dead people for weeks before they were killed even though he was a student in another town . His neibors said he was up all night . Classmates said he seemed exhausted .

Friends growing up call him weird , mean . Harrassed women at a bar he frequented . None of the behavioral stuff proved anything except frame of mind but I think it’s the right guy . DNA doesn’t lie .

Agreed about the profile, he definitely fits the make-up, plus there's a lot of circumstantial evidence. But I still have a hard time getting around the fact that he killed 4 people on multiple floors. I'd have to see some sort of demonstration and rationale as to how he could keep from waking up the others.

So we'll see. One thing about these types of cases is that with all the publicity, it's going to be almost impossible to have a fair trial as you'd have to be living in a cave not to have heard about it....and who wants to have a bunch of cavemen on your jury.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:34 am

Gag order issued by an Idaho judge barring attorneys or law enforcement from discussing the case . Idaho judge . Likely to preserve the ability to have a fig leaf of an impartial jury . As for killing 4 people let’s remember it’s pretty close to 4 AM. They were all on video partying up till 2 AM around the town . When this guy did this it is likely these kids were sound asleep . 2 girls childhood best friends were in the same bed on one floor and the couple asleep together on the other floor . So he can stab both people without even moving . For whatever reason the residents on the basement floor were unharmed . With this gag order it might limit the evidence we will hear about pre trial but remember . This wasn’t just Moscow PD. It was ISP 25 FBI Agents and also the Pennsylvania Sp. I heard a forensic expert say yesterday it’s entirely likely a guy with this profile may have other victims and that Penn authorities will be looking in that state at cold cases . The captain who ordered the no knock warrant at 1:30 AM said it required additional probable cause and that “ there was plenty of sufficient probable cause . “ there is a call in voice on a podcast discussing the murders that sounds like the guy saying some college guy just wanted to find out what it was like .

I think they got him . I hope he doesn’t beat it .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:26 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Gag order issued by an Idaho judge barring attorneys or law enforcement from discussing the case . Idaho judge . Likely to preserve the ability to have a fig leaf of an impartial jury . As for killing 4 people let’s remember it’s pretty close to 4 AM. They were all on video partying up till 2 AM around the town . When this guy did this it is likely these kids were sound asleep . 2 girls childhood best friends were in the same bed on one floor and the couple asleep together on the other floor . So he can stab both people without even moving . For whatever reason the residents on the basement floor were unharmed . With this gag order it might limit the evidence we will hear about pre trial but remember . This wasn’t just Moscow PD. It was ISP 25 FBI Agents and also the Pennsylvania Sp. I heard a forensic expert say yesterday it’s entirely likely a guy with this profile may have other victims and that Penn authorities will be looking in that state at cold cases . The captain who ordered the no knock warrant at 1:30 AM said it required additional probable cause and that “ there was plenty of sufficient probable cause . “ there is a call in voice on a podcast discussing the murders that sounds like the guy saying some college guy just wanted to find out what it was like .

I think they got him . I hope he doesn’t beat it .

It sure looks like it from what's leaked about the evidence. However, I'm still not convinced that he didn't have an accomplice. I'd have to see the murder scene; see how he was able to keep 4 people on two different floors within the same house still enough and quiet enough for him to kill them with a knife and not waking the other residents.

There's no place in the country where this guy is going to get a fair trial, especially in this day and age where such a high percentage of citizens are made up of moon beamers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:06 pm

He’s enroute to Moscow scheduled to land any minute . There’s a thousand reporters . As for a “fair trial “ what’s not fair is what happened to those kids and their families and friends . You stab 4 beautiful young kids to death it’s going to be a worldwide story and you better have a good attorney and a good explanation why it’s not you . This was a dream team investigation. I came across a Tik Tok podcast generated by a guy who doesn’t show his face but only a computer keyboard and screen who claimed to be a friend of a policeman as a source . He gave detailed information about the killings including that the 2 girls were in the same bed because one woke up and screamed and tried to flee . He went on to say this girl had more severe wounds because the person committing the crime wanted to stop the screaming and after he wounded her she fell on the bed with the other girl . As with the podcast call in the voice is similar to kolberger . It’s possible the guy was so arrogant he was active on social media . None of the stuff this mystery guy says was shared with the public by law enforcement .
As for him killing 4 people with a Rambo knife at 4 AM ? I don’t doubt it . He’s a tall long armed wiry guy with a mean streak . He only had to deal with 2 sleeping people at the time . All I have to do is look at his eyes . Bundy eyes .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:06 am

Hawktawk wrote:He’s enroute to Moscow scheduled to land any minute . There’s a thousand reporters . As for a “fair trial “ what’s not fair is what happened to those kids and their families and friends.

I'm not saying that he should walk, just that under our current justice system, there is no way for a competent jury to be selected in a case like this. It's a huge weakness. And it's not the first time a case like this received a huge amount of media attention, going back to the trial of the Lindbergh murder in the 1930's.

They'll quite often move trials out of an area due to the amount of local publicity it received under the guise of selecting a fair and impartial jury. Defense attorneys will ask potential jurors if they've heard of the case. But on the other hand, do you really want someone on a jury that is so out of touch that they don't know about an event such as these murders? It's a big problem, and I don't have a solution.

That aside, I'm delighted that they appear to have caught the guy. The DNA evidence, although controversial, looks solid, and there's a lot of secondary, supporting evidence to go along with it. If he did it, my wish for him would to be hung from the highest tree.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:27 am

Does he have the right to a trial by Judge alone or does it have to be a jury trial?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:59 am

NorthHawk wrote:Does he have the right to a trial by Judge alone or does it have to be a jury trial?

I don't know for sure, but I think that they do, at least in some states. However, being that the standard for a conviction is set so high, 12 out of 12 in a jury trial, it would reason that you have a better chance at acquittal if you have a trial by jury, even one tainted by pre-trial publicity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:27 am

This guy needs a jury with a few idiots on it . Or some liberal judge to decide his rights have been violated . It’s his only chance .

After seeing the charging documents and probable cause affidavits he is cooked . Made a lot of mistakes . Not near as smart as he thought .

Lost his K bar knife sheath in the house by a victim with his DNA on the snap , the only DNA on it .

Video evidence places his vehicle near the scene , show him driving past the house 3 times before stopping . Cell tower pings show he was very near the scene a dozen times in the weeks PRE Murders , all in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT :shock: .

He’s shown by cell pings to have driven by the house the following morning prior to the bodies being discovered .

Cameras at the WSU apartments show his Elantra leaving after 3 AM and returning after 4:30 AM the night of the murders .
phone is shut off when he leaves Pullman and turned back on a few hours later when he’s leaving Moscow to return to Pullman . All theses timelines correspond with video evidence and cell pings .

As far as I can see the only main mystery remaining is why did he do this and why did he target these people ? One of the survivors came face to face with him as he was leaving after being awakened by a disturbance .

Why she didn’t call 911 is a mystery as is why didn’t he just kill her too . She described him as a 5’11” or taller , not muscular but a slender athletic frame . Dressed in all black . Mask covering his mouth and nose . Bushy eyebrows .

He’s the guy . I just hope they don’t screw it up because this guy should be eliminated from the human race asap .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:51 am

So long as the evidence holds up, particularly the DNA evidence, they would appear to have a slam dunk case. It will be interesting to see how they handle his trial, if they turn it into another OJ circus trial.

It's amazing how many mistakes the guy made considering that he's a criminal justice major. Did he not know that if left on, cell phones will send out pings to towers, giving away his location?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:14 pm

He's in his first semester isn't he?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:40 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:He's in his first semester isn't he?

I thought that he was a PhD candidate.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:44 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:He's in his first semester isn't he?

He was in his first semester as a PhD at Wazzu but he’s received education elsewhere for several years in the field of criminology such as desales.

As to rivers wondering if it OJ 2 I guess that was a case of extreme wealth and celebrity . The race card was there to play .
This is a universally despised man with a court appointed attorney . His defense will be paid for by the taxpayers of Idaho and so I don’t see any Robert Shapiro type guy defending him. How much do the citizens of the state of Idaho have to spend to defend a quadruple murderer.

My guess is his attorney will approach him with plead out and save your life and hope the families go for it . Tell the truth and spend your days repenting till some violent felon administers justice .
Unless they are making this stuff up he’s going down . I see no way this takes a year .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:14 pm

Here's the bio of the prime suspect:

Kohberger (born November 21, 1994) lived in the Lehigh Valley throughout most of his life.[49] Shortly after finishing Pleasant Valley High School in 2013, Kohberger attended Monroe Career and Technical Institute in Bartonsville but dropped out.[50] Kohberger later attended Northampton Community College in Bethlehem, where he earned an associate's degree in psychology in 2018. After graduating from Northampton, Kohberger worked as a security guard for the Pleasant Valley School District. Around the same time, Kohberger attended DeSales University, where he received a B.A. in 2020 and an M.A. in 2022 in Criminal Justice. He was then relocated to Washington to pursue a PhD in the same field at Washington State University in Pullman, Washington and had completed his first semester at Pullman nine days before his arrest. The Pullman campus is about 10 miles (16 km) west of Moscow.[51][52]

He was pretty well educated in the field of Criminal Justice with both a BA and a Masters and was accepted into a major university's PhD program. You'd think with that kind of knowledge about the subject that he wouldn't have made some of the mistakes he did, unless he wanted to get caught.
Last edited by RiverDog on Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:26 pm

Hawktawk wrote:As to rivers wondering if it OJ 2 I guess that was a case of extreme wealth and celebrity . The race card was there to play .
This is a universally despised man with a court appointed attorney . His defense will be paid for by the taxpayers of Idaho and so I don’t see any Robert Shapiro type guy defending him. How much do the citizens of the state of Idaho have to spend to defend a quadruple murderer.

My guess is his attorney will approach him with plead out and save your life and hope the families go for it . Tell the truth and spend your days repenting till some violent felon administers justice .
Unless they are making this stuff up he’s going down . I see no way this takes a year .

Due to all the pre-trial publicity given to this case, I'd say universally despised is a good description. However, it only takes one juror out of 12 to vote for acquittal and he walks. It's one of the weaknesses of our justice system.

I understand the differences between this case and OJ's. The reason I brought it up is due to how the OJ case attracted so much media attention. Although I doubt that it gets the same coverage as OJ's, it might be the most followed trial of this century.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic