Weight Loss Drugs

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Weight Loss Drugs

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:00 pm

Have any of you looked at these new weight loss and diabetes drugs? Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro? These are the most amazing new drugs I've seen for weight loss and diabetes control. They are heavy duty appetite suppressants that seem to balance blood sugar and weight loss by slowing digestion substantially manipulating hunger and digestion hormones.

They are produced by Eli Lilly (LLY) and Novo Nordisk (NVO). These are the companies that sell them and both are investable. LLY is a United States company. NVO is a Danish company.

I have never seen any weight loss drug this effective.

There is even concern they will greatly impact fast food, junk food, and restaurant and grocery consumption if they go widespread.

Tirzepatide was just approved for obesity treatment. It's initial approval was for diabetes alone, but now a doctor can prescribe it as an obesity treatment.

Do you think this may be the solution or at least a part of the solution to the obesity epidemic? Anyone have much experience with these drugs?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Re: Weight Loss Drugs

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:17 am

Thanks for the heads up. I might have to try it. I'm about 30 lbs overweight. I'll run it past my doctor when I see him in February.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:46 pm

RiverDog wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I might have to try it. I'm about 30 lbs overweight. I'll run it past my doctor when I see him in February.

Did you put some weight back on after the pandemic? I know you said you got into shape real well.

I'm losing weight the regular way again. Gotta get back to under 230 like pre-pandemic.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:56 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Did you put some weight back on after the pandemic? I know you said you got into shape real well.

I'm losing weight the regular way again. Gotta get back to under 230 like pre-pandemic.

I got to a point where my weight loss stopped about 10 pounds short of my goal, so I sort of gave up and put about 10-15 pounds back on. Except for about 10-12 years in my 30's and early 40's, controlling my weight has been a constant struggle.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:06 pm

RiverDog wrote:I got to a point where my weight loss stopped about 10 pounds short of my goal, so I sort of gave up and put about 10-15 pounds back on. Except for about 10-12 years in my 30's and early 40's, controlling my weight has been a constant struggle.

It's been a yoyo for me too. It's tough. Food tastes so good and dieting is not particularly fun. I don't mind the exercise part, but the calorie restriction with all this tasty food around is tough.

I almost had my weight normalized, then COVID punched me in the face with mandatory overtime and lots of call offs I had to cover for as well as closing the gyms.

If these drugs help you now that you can prescribe them for weight loss, let me know. I hear they are magic once you get used to them. Kills appetite so well that you can suffer from vitamin deficiencies from not eating. Girl at work that had been trying to lose weight for years lost 60 lbs. on Ozempic. Pretty amazing.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:02 am

RiverDog wrote:I got to a point where my weight loss stopped about 10 pounds short of my goal, so I sort of gave up and put about 10-15 pounds back on. Except for about 10-12 years in my 30's and early 40's, controlling my weight has been a constant struggle.

Aseahawkfan wrote:It's been a yoyo for me too. It's tough. Food tastes so good and dieting is not particularly fun. I don't mind the exercise part, but the calorie restriction with all this tasty food around is tough.

I almost had my weight normalized, then COVID punched me in the face with mandatory overtime and lots of call offs I had to cover for as well as closing the gyms.

If these drugs help you now that you can prescribe them for weight loss, let me know. I hear they are magic once you get used to them. Kills appetite so well that you can suffer from vitamin deficiencies from not eating. Girl at work that had been trying to lose weight for years lost 60 lbs. on Ozempic. Pretty amazing.

There's an old saying that sure rings true for me: "Everything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening."

I had a full knee replacement 6 years ago, and I never regained full range of motion and it's extremely stiff. From time to time, will cause a considerable amount of pain to the point where it hinders my ability to get a good cardio workout. Walking is OK but I can't bend my knee enough to ride a bike and there are times that I have to stop my work out on my elliptical machine early. There is a prescription drug that I found that is very effective, Nabumetone, an anti-inflammatory much like Ibuprofen except lots stronger, that 4 MD's have told me is dangerous to my kidneys (Kenny Easley destroyed his by taking Ibuprofen like it was candy). One doctor refused to prescribe it, and I had to talk my current primary care provider into prescribing it for me but he told me not to take it more than 3 days in a row.

My next appointment with my Dr is in February, my annual physical. I'll let you know what we decide.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Off Topic