i want to help mudslide victims

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

i want to help mudslide victims

Postby rottweiler » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:47 pm

I want to help victims of the Snohomish County mudslide.

Having grown up in the heartland of America, I have been on the run from tornadoes for the better part of my life. I know firsthand how scary nature can be.

Problem is, I don't have a whole lot of money right now. Matter of fact, I'm kinda stuck on my driveway because I don't even have the gas to leave it.

What can I do?

How can I help?

Is there any Peace Corps-ish thing in Washington state for which I can volunteer that will enable me to help victims of the mudslide?
rottweiler
Legacy

Re: i want to help mudslide victims

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 pm

I know some people at the Red Cross, but they need people who are already in WA. They won't fly you to a site unless they have given you training and you are vested i.e. pretty much employed by them.
Every state has local Red Cross volunteers though. And you could inquire there.

Other than that, I know of no other org. Hang in there Rott. While I know you want to help, they most likely will not need your help since they have had hundreds of volunteers at the site working and helping rescuers. Your intentions are well, but most likely, the people on the ground already have this covered.

My father said to me that above every gray cloud is a blue sky. I have had many gray clouds over my head in my lifetime. Keep the faith, and stay positive. And let's all pray for the victims.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:09 pm

I think it's awesome of you to care enough to want to help, Rott. I grew up a short drive from that area. Currently there are a lot of first responders volunteering or being pulled from other locations, as well as community volunteers on site. The area is extremely dangerous and there is little hope of finding anyone else alive, but no one really wants to admit it. The people managing the scene are taking great pains to make sure we don't add to the death toll by putting people out there that are not trained. Short of some dog handlers and technical staff most of the people allowed on scene are trained rescue workers.

I think you have a big heart Rott and I am praying that an answer to your current situation will appear. I know things are probably pretty tough there. I read recently that over half the homes in the Oso area either had been or were in the process of being foreclosed on. Things are tough all over.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby yoder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:47 am

If you want to help Rott, here's a good place. I'd trust KIRO Radio over any global relief fund.

http://mynorthwest.com/108/2482049/Help-locals-keep-volunteers-supplied-in-Oso-mudslide-search-effort

They have a list of the most needed items, the audio clip goes into more detail. A pack of snack bars would mean a lot to the folks out there right now. I can't imagine what they're going through right now.

Thanks for bringing this up, it just might encourage more people to help.
yoder
Site Admin

Postby rottweiler » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:55 am

FolkCrusader wrote:I think it's awesome of you to care enough to want to help, Rott. I grew up a short drive from that area. Currently there are a lot of first responders volunteering or being pulled from other locations, as well as community volunteers on site. The area is extremely dangerous and there is little hope of finding anyone else alive, but no one really wants to admit it. The people managing the scene are taking great pains to make sure we don't add to the death toll by putting people out there that are not trained. Short of some dog handlers and technical staff most of the people allowed on scene are trained rescue workers.

I think you have a big heart Rott and I am praying that an answer to your current situation will appear. I know things are probably pretty tough there. I read recently that over half the homes in the Oso area either had been or were in the process of being foreclosed on. Things are tough all over.

Lotsa really nice things being said on this thread, but that last paragraph: wow. Just. Wow.

Thanks, bro.

It's always nice to know that someone somewhere is praying for me. Don't seem like it happens all that often.

I don't know what your situation is, FolkCrusader; but I will do the same for you when I remember to pray for those victimized by satan's mudslide.

And yoder: a bigtime thanks for the link, boss.

God bless all youse.
rottweiler
Legacy

Return to Off Topic