Stephen A. Smith's rant

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

Stephen A. Smith's rant

Postby burrrton » Fri May 23, 2014 10:30 pm

I've never been able to stand this guy's commentary, but he sure seems to hit the mark here:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05 ... uncle-tom/?

Anyone disagree?

[edit]

And since the political bent is unavoidable, does anyone want to argue Nancy Pelosi's speech to UC Berkeley urging graduates to be disruptors and such is better than this speech from McRaven to UT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70
burrrton
Legacy

Re: Stephen A. Smith's rant

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 24, 2014 6:42 am

Great link, burrton. Stephen Smith just took a 100 fold increase in my respect for him. That was as accurate and inspirational 7 minutes of commentary on a sports channel that I've ever seen. Due in part to one of my own prejudices, I made certain assumptions about Smith and what he was going to say due to his jive or urban talk. When he started talking about black unemployment, I thought "uh oh, here comes the other shoe." Like he said, we all suffer from them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat May 24, 2014 7:33 am

Stephen always was someone who I felt never bought into the BS racist rants of the Jessie and Al.

First time I have seen him touch this issue, and he reacted as I expected. And as I would have.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat May 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Stephen always was someone who I felt never bought into the BS racist rants of the Jessie and Al.

His tone always rubbed me wrong (the "Malcolm X" cadence), and I never thought he was particularly insightful, but yeah, he's always seemed to be his own man, an independent thinker.

That was as accurate and inspirational 7 minutes of commentary on a sports channel that I've ever seen.

Word.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Actually that clip told me as much about myself as it did Stephen Smith, and I'm more than a bit embarrassed. That 7 minute clip you posted made him an instant fan of his out of me. It used to be that anytime I saw Stephen Smith on my tube, I'd change channels before he said a word. Now I realize that his thoughts are no different than those of my own, and I'll listen to whatever it is he has to say.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Well, that was quite the rant from Mr. Smith.
It seems to me he had something building up inside him for a while and got a chance to let it all out.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:26 pm

Amen to that NH.

And to SS.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:59 am

Wow.

I'm seldom in this part of the forum, and just came in here to browse.

And I gotta say, Stephen A. Smith's rant there would be a great PSA to ANYBODY, period.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:37 am

Profoundly true remarks by Smith. Don't expect to see them aired on CNN or NBC anytime soon though.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby makena » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:16 am

I believe we all, myself included, hide behind our busy lives. Not being affected by the world around us or not paying attention to societal issues. I never liked ESPN's First Take until Sherman hit back at them ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRjBhbH3y38 ) and when they went on the air and accepted and ate their own crown (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0oFDqJ05Zw ). I too, have a tendency to not listen to Skip and Stephen, but Smith's rant got my attention.

Sometimes people need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy. I hope I'm never a direct recipient of a dramatic example. I hope to continue to be able to put things back in perspective when visible commentators like Smith communicates to "us" in the manner that he did.

Mak
makena
Legacy

Return to Off Topic