RIP Brett Maverick

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

RIP Brett Maverick

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:34 am

The man John Wayne called "the best (western actor) out there", and one of my all time favorites.

RIP Mr. Garner, I will miss you.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: RIP Brett Maverick

Postby savvyman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:55 am

Enjoyed James when I was a kid watching the support your local Sheriff\Gunfighter movies.

He was a great on screen example as to how a man is to conduct themselves. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW3vklH3oYM
savvyman
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:02 pm

I'll probably show myself as slightly younger than you both by stating The Rockford Files was my Garner show. I read one time that every time word got out that they were making another Rockford Files "after episode" all the people that were in the original series would call up and make sure Garner knew they wanted to do it. Some of these people had been retired for years but they had so much fun working with him they didn't want to miss one. I always thought that spoke to what kind of a man he was.

RIP Jim Garner.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:00 pm

FolkCrusader wrote:I'll probably show myself as slightly younger than you both by stating The Rockford Files was my Garner show. I read one time that every time word got out that they were making another Rockford Files "after episode" all the people that were in the original series would call up and make sure Garner knew they wanted to do it. Some of these people had been retired for years but they had so much fun working with him they didn't want to miss one. I always thought that spoke to what kind of a man he was.

RIP Jim Garner.

One of my favorite "girlie" movies was Murphy's Romance, the lead character played by James Garner. To tell you the truth, I wasn't all that fond of "Maverick", except for the theme song, and didn't watch much of "The Rockford Files", as it came on at a bad time for me.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 am

Anything James Garner was in it was worth watching because he was in it. The last thing I saw him in was the Notebook and of course he was great, as he always was. I think the role he played the best was as the "scrounger" in the Great Escape. It was a movie of all stars yet he stood out. Who can forget his scenes with Donald Pleasence or the German camp guard?

RIP James Garner, your work will live on forever
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Anything James Garner was in it was worth watching because he was in it. The last thing I saw him in was the Notebook and of course he was great, as he always was. I think the role he played the best was as the "scrounger" in the Great Escape. It was a movie of all stars yet he stood out. Who can forget his scenes with Donald Pleasence or the German camp guard?

RIP James Garner, your work will live on forever

I'd forgotten about that one. All star cast, starring Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson. Great movie for its time, and you're right, Garner turned in a fine performance.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Apparently, James Garner was one of the good guys offscreen as well, and a decorated Korean war vet to boot.

It's all Rockford Files for me when I think about this guy. Great show.
Zorn76
Legacy

Return to Off Topic