Just some ideas about the site

A place to gather thoughts, ideas, etc. The 12th Man Think Tank.

Just some ideas about the site

Postby yoder » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Shoot away folks!
yoder
Site Admin

Re: Just some ideas about the site

Postby 4XPIPS » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:28 am

Oops sorry I guess I could have posted my thread here. Got excited and started a thread... my bad
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby fisherman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Yoder,

Are you planning to have a sub forum for non-Hawk talk? No biggie if not, just wondering?

Husky news, maybe?
fisherman
Legacy

Postby yoder » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Yup, I'm thinking about it. Maybe a OT forum, Huskies, etc. I might put it up to a vote once we get a few more members rolling in. Thanks for the thoughts!
yoder
Site Admin

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Love the site man!, especially the font sizing option!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Feez » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:57 pm

is there any way to change the avatar size restrictions? i have tried several time to resize pictures and no matter what I do they are too large
Feez
Legacy

Postby makena » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Feez wrote:is there any way to change the avatar size restrictions? i have tried several time to resize pictures and no matter what I do they are too large

We can change the size. In windows, if you go to your avatar image and right click it --> Details tab --> and the image section will tell you the pixal size of the avatar. Let me know what it is and I'll chat with yoder to see if we can increase the size ... that is if it is possible based on the bulletin boards database restriction.
makena
Legacy

Postby ShackMod » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:53 pm

makena wrote:
Feez wrote:is there any way to change the avatar size restrictions? i have tried several time to resize pictures and no matter what I do they are too large

We can change the size. In windows, if you go to your avatar image and right click it --> Details tab --> and the image section will tell you the pixal size of the avatar. Let me know what it is and I'll chat with yoder to see if we can increase the size ... that is if it is possible based on the bulletin boards database restriction.

Ok.. we just increased the file size but the image size needs to be the same. Try it out and let us know!
ShackMod
Site Admin

Postby rottweiler » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:01 pm

How about a section of the forum called the "Hawk Jukebox" dedicated solely to posts about things we're listening to lately?

At any rate:

GOD BLESS YOU FOR STARTING THIS SITE, YODER!!!
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:22 pm

A "Hawkshack Bar" or "Hawkshack Drunk Tank" also might be worth a shot.

A place where we talk about what we like to drink with prosciutto, or how badly we'd like to punch Bill Maher in the face, you know.

Just a thought. 8-)
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Some things from the thread in the main forum that I like:

Please keep it simple! I hate the extras that make it so that you only see 2 posts per page (I'm exaggerating, of course, but you get the gist).

I'll second RD's suggestion of a method of notifying you of threads you've posted in.

Another suggestion: allow us to increase the number of posts displayed on a page. I always go for the max and would be fine with 100 posts per page, as long as you have a button that takes you directly to the first unread post. I like it more than having to click "Next" all the time.

One more: you need a favicon.

Thanks!
Oly
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:35 pm

Rott took the words out of my mouth. I would love a subsection that deals with politics. I know this may not be possible, or maybe something a bit more neutral, but stuff that affects the NFL such as Homeland Security taking over the Superbowl. And punching Bill Maher in the mouth! haha. Or maybe a section called the Constitution Section where we discuss that subject(which might be less political for many). Just thoughts.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Just joined and checking it all out right now.

I do agree with what some others have mentioned in terms of keeping it simple visually. Easier on the eyes without all the forum bling that others use. It actually reminds me a bit of the PI already. Been weird not having that place around, but looking forward to HawkShack taking its place!

Thanks again, Yoder!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:40 am

Woke up this morning to an email box full of notifications ... I understand folks want notification of activity in threads in which they are participating but I think the default setting should be for those notifications to be delivered on this site rather than to our email boxes. Let the latter be the option for which one need check or uncheck a box.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:46 am

Yoder,

The more I click around the shack more impressed I am with what you have done here.

First off - as others have mentioned - I like the keep it simple philosophy in design - and your philosophy of still being open to changes and letting members vote on the implementation or not will lead to further success and community use.

The options available in this board are many and easy to use - Manage Friends and Manage foes - lol.

This is just a great start to a community board and between its ease of use and aesthetically pleasing design along with your operating philosophy I believe that this community will grow over the next few weeks.

congratulations.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Tikus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:03 am

Glad to see a functioning forum again. Now all we need are some political user groups to broaden the horizons.
Tikus
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:10 pm

This is just so frick'n awesome, yoder my man (woman? bird?).

The past two weeks, I've acquired just over 200 posts at hawks.net, and despite the fact that I've bumped back into Greg (i.e. "Irish Greg") for the first time in three or more years — and some other long-lost PI Forum refugees — it really hasn't been much fun.

I'm very familiar with BBCode; I'm fairly confident in saying that I know how to do just about everything on it. But even so, all the neat stuff that a given site allows its participants to do doesn't mean jack-squattin'-on-a-rott with regard to how fun the site can be if there's no sense of community, no sense of family there.

In a nutshell, that, to me, is the essence of hawks.net: the opportunity, the capability to do a whole bunch of cool stuff, none of which is very fun only because there, I just feel so alone.

I guess I'm just set in my ways. Can't teach an old dogg new tricks, so they say, eh?

These are my people, and this is my home.

Like others have said on this very thread, I also love this site because it's simplistic, the ways we navigate through and on it. Ghetto, in street-speak, this site.

There isn't a whole lot going on here in terms of design and/ or features, and — as an old-skewler who more often than not finds himself adrift in heavenly pleasant, lucid daydreams about the good ole days of the PI Forum's old format (before it sucker-punched us by adopting the Facebook milieu in April of 2011) when he's posting on hawks.net, and just trying to see his paw in front of his face amid that site's annoyingly enshrouding neon (I'd use the word Byzantine right here, 'cept I'm trying to start doing my time here by consciously not being too wordy, too pedantic :geek: ) gaudiness — that's exacly the way I like it.

Based exclusively on what I've read from others on this thread, I know I'm not alone when I say that I personally think the black-and-white simplicity of this site is in and of itself one of its most beautiful attributes.

And again, then there's this site's people. My family.

This is my home, and I love it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to create and maintain it, yoder my beloved friend.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:10 pm

rottweiler wrote:This is just so frick'n awesome, yoder my man (woman? bird?).

The past two weeks, I've acquired just over 200 posts at hawks.net, and despite the fact that I've bumped back into Greg (i.e. "Irish Greg") for the first time in three or more years — and some other long-lost PI Forum refugees — it really hasn't been much fun.

I'm very familiar with BBCode; I'm fairly confident in saying that I know how to do just about everything on it. But even so, all the neat stuff that a given site allows its participants to do doesn't mean jack-squattin'-on-a-rott with regard to how fun the site can be if there's no sense of community, no sense of family there.

In a nutshell, that, to me, is the essence of hawks.net: the opportunity, the capability to do a whole bunch of cool stuff, none of which is very fun only because there, I just feel so alone.

I guess I'm just set in my ways. Can't teach an old dogg new tricks, so they say, eh?

Rott of Ages.
Like others have said on this very thread, I also love this site because it's simplistic, the ways we navigate through and on it. Ghetto, in street-speak, this site.

There isn't a whole lot going on here in terms of design and/ or features, and — as an old-skewler who more often than not finds himself adrift in heavenly pleasant, lucid daydreams about the good ole days of the PI Forum's old format (before it sucker-punched us by adopting the Facebook milieu in April of 2011) when he's posting on hawks.net, and just trying to see his paw in front of his face amid that site's annoyingly enshrouding neon (I'd use the word Byzantine right here, 'cept I'm trying to start doing my time here by consciously not being too wordy, too pedantic :geek: ) gaudiness — that's exacly the way I like it.

Based exclusively on what I've read from others on this thread, I know I'm not alone when I say that I personally think the black-and-white simplicity of this site is in and of itself one of its most beautiful attributes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to create and maintain it, yoder my beloved friend.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:12 pm

rottweiler wrote:This is just so frick'n awesome, yoder my man (woman? bird?).

Rott of Ages.

Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:05 pm

yoder wrote:Yup, I'm thinking about it. Maybe a OT forum, Huskies, etc. I might put it up to a vote once we get a few more members rolling in. Thanks for the thoughts!

Make it a college football forum, and not particular to one school. There's a lot of Cougs, Ducks, Beavers, et al that might take offense to the bias.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:51 am

Yeah, we're all Seahawks fas but we don't all live in Seattle.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:28 pm

This may be too much to ask for?

Can we move the name of the poster to the left side of the landscape... sort of how all forums are and how the PI used to be. Its nice to see who posted and read the comments, as if reading left to right... vs now reading the comments and seeing on the right side the column of the poster. I know it put's the "by XXXXX" below the post, but something about having a quick glance and seeing the Poster's Avatar and jumping over to the comments...

again not complaining but this would almost make it feel like home again to me... at least.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Post number

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:04 pm

We need post numbers on each comment (within in a thread) so we can refer to a thread without actually quoting it and folks will know where to go to see what we're talking about.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby makena » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Oly wrote:Some things from the thread in the main forum that I like:

Please keep it simple! I hate the extras that make it so that you only see 2 posts per page (I'm exaggerating, of course, but you get the gist).

I'll second RD's suggestion of a method of notifying you of threads you've posted in.

Another suggestion: allow us to increase the number of posts displayed on a page. I always go for the max and would be fine with 100 posts per page, as long as you have a button that takes you directly to the first unread post. I like it more than having to click "Next" all the time.

One more: you need a favicon.

Thanks!

When replying to a post, at the bottom of the reply there are two tabs. One called "Options" and another called "Upload Attachment". The "Options" tab is the default tab that is displayed. There is a check box that you can check called "Notify me when a reply is posted". If you click that, you will be notified. ;)
makena
Legacy

Postby yoder » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm listening to everyone, thanks for the feedback! Can't reply to everyone individually at this point, but keep it coming. It has only been a couple of days and we're about to hit our 400th post! Obviously we'll need to smooth out a few bumps over the next few months, but so far it seems like we're dealing with relatively minor issues. Can't do everything, but we're looking pretty good so far. Again, I want to keep it clean, simple...and I want the pages to load quickly (IE: No signatures, no high resolution avatars, etc...)

Lots of suggestions for an O.T. forum, I'll put it up to a vote.

Thanks again folks!
yoder
Site Admin

Postby Tikus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:32 pm

What is an OT forum? Personally I'm waiting for a political forum so I can start posting.
Tikus
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:46 pm

O.T. = Off Topic
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:11 pm

Tikus wrote:What is an OT forum? Personally I'm waiting for a political forum so I can start posting.

Maybe political topics are OT as well. But if something is OT I have always wondered why in an OT forum you couldn't talk about politics. Seems legit in an OT forum no? Anyway my 2 cents.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:18 pm

As far as off topic threads go, I don't mind them being in the general forum, at least during the offseason, but they can be a distraction to those that simply want to talk Seahawks football. What I would suggest would be to color the off topic thread a different color, which would allow those not interested in the discussion to bypass them when they scroll down the thread. The priority initially should be to get as many participants in one thread as possible, so any and all topics should be allowed. Once we get a larger number of posts and posters, we can start channeling the off topic posts to a different thread/forum.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:21 am

that would work for me.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Tikus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:14 am

RiverDog wrote:As far as off topic threads go, I don't mind them being in the general forum, at least during the offseason, but they can be a distraction to those that simply want to talk Seahawks football.

I fail to see how it can be a distraction. If you have a topic labeled "Politics & Elections" (as there was in the PI), how does that distract people posting about the Seahawks in a topic labeled "Seahawks?" Generally, those who want to talk about politics will post in the political topic and those who want to talk Seahawks will post in the Seahawks topic. It's not like the topics all lead to the same place where everybody posts. It would only be off-topic anyway if you made a political post in a Seahawks topic or vice versa. Where's the conflict/distraction?
Tikus
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:08 am

I don't see it as a distraction if it's set up the right way.
I'm sure Yoder will get it right after this input. Maybe we have a separate forum subsection called Politics maybe? Or make it completely separate. I like the separate concept actually. If you want to talk about politics you should make a concerted effort to get to the politics section.
Just like college football, soccer, etc.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Tikus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:05 am

Well, as expected, this is apparently just for people interested in yammering about sports. After waiting a month for the very simple inclusion of a political forum, which definitely would not interfere with the sports threads, I can see that's not going to happen. I already doubted that it would but I thought I would at least give it a chance.

So long folks. You're empty and pointless sports talk is of little value to me or the country. There are so many far more important things going on in the world. Apparently this corner of the world is only interested in pointless games played by vastly over-rated jocks. Enjoy your isolation.
Tikus
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:39 am

It's a football forum. Named for a specific team even, big shock it's for people wanting to talk about sports.

Do you go to a local steak house to look for new shoes?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:10 am

Tikus wrote:Well, as expected, this is apparently just for people interested in yammering about sports. After waiting a month for the very simple inclusion of a political forum, which definitely would not interfere with the sports threads, I can see that's not going to happen. I already doubted that it would but I thought I would at least give it a chance.

So long folks. You're empty and pointless sports talk is of little value to me or the country. There are so many far more important things going on in the world. Apparently this corner of the world is only interested in pointless games played by vastly over-rated jocks. Enjoy your isolation.

Don't get all worked up. A politics forum may or may not happen, but you say you have been waiting for a month, so I am confused since this forum's been up less than 10 days. What are you talking about? Are you sure you are on the right forum?
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:21 pm

We (generally) get to know each other, I know many of the personalities, so I think it's natural and fun/entertaining/useful to go back and forth about everything, including politics.

Yeah, there are people who are often wrong about a subject (read: disagree with me), but I respect many of the posters and would miss it if it went away (or, er, wasn't included here after being part of the PI forum).
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:10 am

Tikus wrote:Well, as expected, this is apparently just for people interested in yammering about sports. After waiting a month for the very simple inclusion of a political forum, which definitely would not interfere with the sports threads, I can see that's not going to happen. I already doubted that it would but I thought I would at least give it a chance.

Our sports talk has little value to our country? As if your opinions on politics does have value to our country? By who's measure are you assessing this value you refer to?

Man, what an arrogant s.o.b. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby yoder » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:10 pm

Wow Tikus, "You Mad Bro"? I would like to personally congratulate you for becoming the First Official Hawk Shack Troll! Someone had to step up and take the credit. =) Too bad you're gone now and aren't reading this, but I'll keep your account active just in case. Feel free to take the time to build and fund your very own website dedicated to politics, maybe I'll stop by and we can argue about Obamacare until we're blue in the face. Not likely though, I'm pretty busy right now. Regardless, I wish you all the best.

As the rest of you know (and have pointed out to our dear friend Tikus), there's a reason for that Seahawk logo up top - opposed to an elephant and a donkey.

Eaglehawk PM'd me and asked if he could start a poll regarding a political forum (thanks Eagle). My only issue, if we start a forum just for politics, then do we have to start one for religion, home improvement ideas, salsa recipes, etc?

I think the best course is to simply start a forum labeled Off Topic and keep it more generalized. Feel free to post anything you'd like (within reason). This will also keep the OT stuff from cluttering the Seahawks forum...the real reason we're all here.

A forum for college football has been brought up as well, which would be appropriate, though it would not be dedicated to the Dawg's or Coug's (given I was raised as a Dawg fan and will be for life). I just don't want to give up the integrity of the forum. The mission is simple, For the 12th man, by the 12th man...and that means the Seattle Seahawks.

I'll leave Eagle's poll up for a few more days and see how you guys vote. So far, it's looking like a 100% yes.

Sound like a plan?
yoder
Site Admin

Postby XpertDBA99 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:30 am

Hello yoder,

My regular userid : XpertDBA

Is not working any longer on the site. Every time I log in, it immediately logs me back out. I did a password reset and it still didn't fix the problem.

Can you fix my userid for me?

Thanks,

Robert West
XpertDBA@yahoo.com
XpertDBA99
Legacy

Postby yoder » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit "preoccupied" this weekend! Not sure what happened, I'll shoot you an email.
yoder
Site Admin

Next

Return to Website Think Tank