How bout dem Cougs?

Politics, Religion, Salsa Recipes, etc. Everything you shouldn't bring up at your Uncle's house.

How bout dem Cougs?

Postby EmeraldBullet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:05 am

WSU is playing pretty well lately. They are a team that can beta anyone, and also lose to anyone. Fun to watch. Big underdogs tomorrow against Stanford.

Most sites have Stanford at 11 point favorites right now (it seems to range from 9 points to 12.5) when betting opened they were closer to 17 point underdogs.

If you want to bet on the Cougs straight across than they are +290 underdogs on the moneyline (it's -350 if you want to bet on Stanford.)

Should be an interesting game considering how different the two teams are. Cougs being very pass heavy and sometimes defense will happen given enough attempts lol. Looks to be a high scoring ganme despite Stanfords strong defense as over/under is set at 47.5 points.

I would pick WSU to beat the spread, skip betting on the straight across (though if I'd have to take one might as well go with the Cougs as a -350 payout is terrible and I think the game will be somewhat close.) I would definitely take the over option for this game.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Re: How bout dem Cougs?

Postby burrrton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:03 pm

I've been to a few Coug games this year and they're looking better every week. However, I haven't seen a millisecond of Stanford this year so have no opinion about this matchup.

I'd be surprised if Wazzu can't put up points, though. They're clicking right now.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:35 pm

When Portland State, a team that's not even a good Big Sky team beat WSU on their home field, I thought that it was highly possible that they might go through the season winless. The odd thing in that game was that it didn't look to me like an upset, rather it looked like PSU had the better team. But they've really turned things up a notch or two since then and they have a great chance to go to a bowl game this year if they just win the games they're supposed to win.

I have the pleasure of working with a bunch of insufferable Cougs, and when they lost to PSU, I really rubbed their noses in it. Fortunately for me, I haven't been to work for nearly a month so I haven't had to endure their payback now that they've become relevant, and by the time I return, they will have lost the Apple Cup.

This weekend will really be a test for them. They beat Stanford and they'll break into the Top 25 since I don't know when.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:36 pm

by the time I return, they will have lost the Apple Cup.

Bite your tongue, RD. ;)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:41 pm

burrrton wrote:Bite your tongue, RD. ;)

You know that they'll Coug that one, they always do. :lol:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:02 pm

RiverDog wrote:You know that they'll Coug that one, they always do. :lol:

Unfortunately, I find it tough to argue about this... :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:30 pm

EmeraldBullet wrote:I would pick WSU to beat the spread, skip betting on the straight across (though if I'd have to take one might as well go with the Cougs as a -350 payout is terrible and I think the game will be somewhat close.) I would definitely take the over option for this game.

Looks like I would've won some money. Small consolation for the missed FG.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:35 am

Do I dare say it? Missing a 43 yard, Scott Norwood type field goal with seconds remaining that could have won the game and put them in first place had he made it? The Devil in me has forced me to say it:

Coug-ed it! :lol:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:29 am

RiverDog wrote:Do I dare say it? Missing a 43 yard, Scott Norwood type field goal with seconds remaining that could have won the game and put them in first place had he made it? The Devil in me has forced me to say it:

Coug-ed it! :lol:

No doubt about it. Ugh.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:51 am

Cant blame it all on the kicker. He made 5/6 FG in very difficult weather. Agreed the Cougs should've won and blew it (with some help from the booth).

Falk made some horrible decisions.

#80 dropped a ton of passes that weren't that difficult to catch imo.

5 FG in the first half, if one of those was a TD game would've been different (not necessaruily different result, but different game)

Booth took away 7 points from WSU and gave 3 points to Stanford essentially by overturning two WSU takeaways.

Lot's of things that could've gone differently.

Overall it was a very entertaining game still. Apple Cup should be a good one to watch this year.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:02 am

I realize that you can't blame the loss on the kicker. But it makes for good fodder for me to shame those hideous Cougs that I work with. Nothing better than a "HE COUG-ED IT!" to put them in their place. They hate that term.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:27 am

They hate that term.

I've never known a Coug who didn't use the term liberally themselves (including my wife, a die-hard Coug, and myself).

I think it's more who's delivering it (and in what spirit) than the phrase itself. :)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:37 pm

burrrton wrote:
I've never known a Coug who didn't use the term liberally themselves (including my wife, a die-hard Coug, and myself).

I think it's more who's delivering it (and in what spirit) than the phrase itself. :)

I entirely agree with Burrton on this. My parents both went to WSU so my siblings and I were raised Coug fans, naturally. I personally vote for both Washington schools as I don't personally have an affiliation but support my state. My brother and parents use the term very liberally, but they do get upset when a husky fan uses it to poke fun.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:27 am

burrrton wrote:I've never known a Coug who didn't use the term liberally themselves (including my wife, a die-hard Coug, and myself).

Part of the dynamics in my work place is that we have a mixture of people with college degrees and some that are without one. The ones that don't have the degree are not given near the promotional opportunities even though they may otherwise be very well qualified, more so in some instances than those that have a sheep skin. They might not ever admit it, but anytime any kind of talk about college alumni type subjects comes up, you can see it in their eyes that they are a bit embarrassed by their lack of higher education. There was one occasions a few years back where an insensitive, arrogant SOB, who just happened to be a Coug, was placed in charge of setting up golf foursomes on a company outing and named them the Cougs, Huskies, Beavers, and the Nothings, and since my degree was from EWU (he didn't even know that I had a degree), he put me on the Nothings, and my partners talked about how pissed off and embarrassed they were.

So that's one of the reasons why at every opportunity I'll do my best to humble them as it seems that it's only Coug grads that are always bragging about their alma matter at any and every opportunity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:27 am

they do get upset when a husky fan uses it to poke fun.

I should have said this: I never get upset no matter how vicious the nature of its use (I'm looking at you, RD ;)).

And I don't blame you a bit for needling them if that's how it is, RD- sounds like a real dick.

I won't say most, and I know it's cliche to note this, but I bet a solid half of the smartest people I know and work with lack college degrees, and it sure as h3ll doesn't matter where the degree came from for those who hold them.

And I'm not talking about just 'intelligent' smart- I mean they hold high and critical positions and are extremely good at their jobs.

I'd like to introduce that ccksckr at your work to a few friends of mine and let them compare knowledge and abilities.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:08 am

burrrton wrote:I won't say most, and I know it's cliche to note this, but I bet a solid half of the smartest people I know and work with lack college degrees, and it sure as h3ll doesn't matter where the degree came from for those who hold them.

That's how it is in the Power industry too.

80% of the industries workforce is Navy trained; a ship is effectively a floating Power Plant, if you were a Navy Machinist Mate, Electronics Tech, Boiler Tech or any one of several other billets what you did in the Navy is almost 100% transferable to a civilian plant. Especially if you are a Nuke, Navy Nuclear Power training is a step above a college degree.

Nearly every large Power Plant in America has a bunch of folks that never went to college running around making many of these guys with college degrees look stupid.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Especially if you are a Nuke, Navy Nuclear Power training is a step above a college degree.

Yup- I worked for the DOE for ~13y (well, a contractor- RD will probably know who), and 60% of middle and upper management, and 90% of the people in critical engineering and PM positions, were Navy men and women (some quite highly ranked, I was told, although those tended to be the million-dollar-an-hour consultants).
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:34 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:That's how it is in the Power industry too.

80% of the industries workforce is Navy trained; a ship is effectively a floating Power Plant, if you were a Navy Machinist Mate, Electronics Tech, Boiler Tech or any one of several other billets what you did in the Navy is almost 100% transferable to a civilian plant. Especially if you are a Nuke, Navy Nuclear Power training is a step above a college degree.

Nearly every large Power Plant in America has a bunch of folks that never went to college running around making many of these guys with college degrees look stupid.

Now that you mention it, we have a boiler tech that had served in the Coast Guard. I never thought of Navy ships as being a floating power plant, but it makes sense. I suppose they don't use peddle power to turn the screws.

I shouldn't be so hard on former Cougs. To their credit, they have more "team spirit" than other grads (they buy way more WSU license plates than UW grads do), but with that team spirit they are more likely to gloat about their alma mater than others are and can unknowingly forget about the company they're in and act like insensitive jerks. And believe me, I know all too well that having a sheep skin does not necessarily mean that the recipient is blessed with even the commonest of knowledge. I've seen some college grads that made me wonder how the hell they ever made it through high school let alone a 4 year university as they couldn't compose a legible sentence containing a dozen common words if their lives depended on it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:51 pm

I shouldn't be so hard on former Cougs.

With the douchebag you described, I'm not sure I'd worry about going easy. I'd be needling him right along side you.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:29 am

Cougs play Arizona State in Pullman tomorrow, really needing a victory here.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:53 am

Yep, a win makes them bowl eligible, and with games on the road against UCLA and UW, they are in all likelihood going to have to win tomorrow and in their home finale vs. Colorado if they want to go bowling.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:08 pm

I think it's possible for the Cougs to win out. They play better on the road this year.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:13 pm

Congrats to the Cougs. Lord knows, I've been unmerciful on their followers lately. Unless they have a complete meltdown, it looks like they're going bowling.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:38 pm

Falk is quite the QB. Makes really bad decisions sometimes. Also is the victim of terrible dropped passes.

UW has a great young team as well. UW is starting mostly true freshman and redshirt freshman.

As a rare fan of both teams from Washington, I am excited for the future.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:06 pm

UDub ain't looking too good so far. Turnovers and mistakes are killing them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:41 pm

RiverDog wrote:UDub ain't looking too good so far. Turnovers and mistakes are killing them.

And Devontae Booker.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:05 am

Wanted to ask any of you who have the Coug game DVRd:

On the ASU punt that pinned WSU on the 1-yard line, why was that not a touchback? There was the first guy who touched it without being in the endzone, but then another guy comes in, puts a foot in the endzone (well into it- not just touching it) and reaches back and touches the football, kinda pinning it down.

Anyone remember the play and/or know why it wasn't a touchback?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:19 pm

burrrton wrote:Wanted to ask any of you who have the Coug game DVRd:

On the ASU punt that pinned WSU on the 1-yard line, why was that not a touchback? There was the first guy who touched it without being in the endzone, but then another guy comes in, puts a foot in the endzone (well into it- not just touching it) and reaches back and touches the football, kinda pinning it down.

Anyone remember the play and/or know why it wasn't a touchback?

I'm a closet Coug fan, so I don't waste my time recording them until they break into the top 25.

One more win, vs. UCLA, and I'll jump on the bandwagon.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:42 am

Cougs could represent the Pac 12 North in the Pac 12 Championship game with a little help.

1st: WSU needs to win out (beat Colorado in Pullman and win the Applecup in Seattle)
2nd: Stanford has to lose hosting Cal and Notre Dame (Cal being the bigger question here)
3rd: Oregon has to win the rest of their conference games (hosting USC and Oregon State)

It's kinda a long shot but hey, could happen, and doubt anyone predicted that at the beginning of the year.

If WSU can win out they should get a nice bowl game regardless of what else happens.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:03 am

EmeraldBullet wrote:Cougs could represent the Pac 12 North in the Pac 12 Championship game with a little help.

1st: WSU needs to win out (beat Colorado in Pullman and win the Applecup in Seattle)
2nd: Stanford has to lose hosting Cal and Notre Dame (Cal being the bigger question here)
3rd: Oregon has to win the rest of their conference games (hosting USC and Oregon State)

It's kinda a long shot but hey, could happen, and doubt anyone predicted that at the beginning of the year.

If WSU can win out they should get a nice bowl game regardless of what else happens.

IMO the best they can do would be the Holiday Bowl, given to the #3 team in the Pac 12, but they're probably looking at either the SF Bowl (or whatever they call it now) or the Sun Bowl.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:17 pm

Its really nice to see the Cougs be relevant. After the debacle in the opener I thought the death watch was on for Leach but the crazy genius has it going on now. Its a pinball machine.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Its really nice to see the Cougs be relevant. After the debacle in the opener I thought the death watch was on for Leach but the crazy genius has it going on now. Its a pinball machine.

If it wasn't for those hideous Cougs I have to work with, I'd agree. It's nice having a dog in the NCAAF fight. I've lost a lot of interest in CFB due mainly to the fact that we haven't had any decent teams out of this state for well over a decade.

No one plays defense in CFB anymore. I think Pete's USC teams were the last Pac 10/12 teams to have any semblance of a defense.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:31 pm

I cant believe the cougs aren't ranked in the top 25 with the college football playoff rankings.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:54 pm

Sure hope Falk is ok to start in the Apple Cup.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:58 am

EmeraldBullet wrote:Sure hope Falk is ok to start in the Apple Cup.

No kidding. Leach sounded typical after the game ("He's fine- we sat him out most of the second half"), acting as if nothing had happened, but that could just be Leach bluster- hope the kid can go.

Who could have pictured 8-3 after starting 0-1 with a lost to Portland fcking State? Man, they have to be kicking themselves in the locker room right now.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:20 am

burrrton wrote:No kidding. Leach sounded typical after the game ("He's fine- we sat him out most of the second half"), acting as if nothing had happened, but that could just be Leach bluster- hope the kid can go.

Who could have pictured 8-3 after starting 0-1 with a lost to Portland fcking State? Man, they have to be kicking themselves in the locker room right now.

That was such a weird interview. I'm gonna put it in quotes for those that missed it (though I am paraphrasing as bets I can, these are not perfectly direct quotes):

Q: 'Can you give us an update as tot he health of Luke Falk?'

Leach: 'He's as healthy as can be. He rested the entire second half.'

Q: 'So he will be ready to go against UW then?'

Leach: 'I don't discuss injuries under ANY circumstances.'

Honestly, to me it seemed like he was being sarcastic with his first answer and seemed agitated that he even had to give a response to the second one.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Honestly, to me it seemed like he was being sarcastic with his first answer and seemed agitated that he even had to give a response to the second one.

Agreed. He's an odd duck. Er, Coug.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:28 am

I read about that, too. The reporters were just doing their job, and weren't in any way, shape, or form putting Leach on the spot. All coaches get queried about the injury status of their players, especially a starting quarterback, and it isn't just for football reasons. There are people out there that have a genuine concern for a young man's health. If he didn't want to talk about it for fear of giving his next opponent some valuable information (of which they will acquire whether he tells the press or not), all he has to say is that he isn't going to comment, but instead, he has to give a smart arse response. Leach treats the press, even his local beat writers, like dog chit.

That's the downside of Mike Leach. He's a solid coach, turned around a Texas Tech program in a highly competitive environment and is doing the same thing at WSU. But he's a first class prick, and that exchange with reporters shows why the only program that would touch him was a rather desperate WSU.

On a brighter note, the Cougs are having the best season they've had in a decade. If they can win the Apple Cup, they'll pick up a really nice bowl game. Although I don't care a whole lot for Pac 12 football because no one plays defense, they are an exciting team to watch.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:31 am

Leach is eccentric AT A MINIMUM. I think he is actually borderline insane. A true crazy genius. I know he comes across as an Ahole but I think he is actually pretty funny.
I remember him stepping to the podium after a beatdown and opening his comments by saying he was looking forward to basketball season.

LMAO funny chit.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Leach is eccentric AT A MINIMUM. I think he is actually borderline insane. A true crazy genius. I know he comes across as an Ahole but I think he is actually pretty funny.
I remember him stepping to the podium after a beatdown and opening his comments by saying he was looking forward to basketball season.

LMAO funny chit.

Leach had some major issues at Texas Tech that led to his firing, including how he treated his players, then had a very rough time in his first season at WaZoo, again player problems, so it's more than just his coming across as an A-hole. Despite being a very good strategist coach, none of the top 25 programs will touch him with a 10 foot pole. He'll end up just like another former Coug HC, Mike Price.
RiverDog
Legacy

Next

Return to Off Topic