Hawk "Bounceback" Players for 2017

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Hawk "Bounceback" Players for 2017

Postby Largent80 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm picking Kearse for a bunch of reasons. First, his second half of the year was absolutely DREADFUL, this coming after a contract extension. He was flagged 5 times for pick plays. Just nowhere near where he should have been.

He has competition from several angles. Basically his contract keeps him from being cut this year, however, next year the axe is over his head in Seattle. If he doesn't produce, the Hawks can cut bait with minimal losses.

We drafted Darboh to take his spot. He's gonna need a year to integrate.

Kearse will be the bounceback Hawk this year.
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Hawk "Bounceback" Players for 2017

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Thomas Rawls.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:35 pm

Russell Wilson I think he is going to have a great season. He is more mobile and has lost a little weight. He may have his best season of his career.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 pm

The entire LOB would be nice. All of them had either injury and 'other' issues last year.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:18 am

Rawls, I think he was unhappy and injured.
obiken
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:49 am

Wilson, Rawls, LOB, and Kearse are all excellent choices, and I have to believe all them aren't satisfied with their performance last year. I want to include Fant in this, but he's not bouncing back to a former performance level, but I know he's seeking to significantly elevate his game after being thrown in the fire last season. Hearing him talk, he's got the right attitude, and he's also got the physical gifts. He was so hard on himself after having facing seasoned NFL pass rushers, even though he and the coaching staff both know the game was bigger than him at the time. He's on a mission, and I hope that translates to solid play on the field. Fruitcake references aside, if all these part can improve and come together, you are looking at a very dangerous team this year.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:44 am

If we're including players who were injured, I would add Lockett and ET as possibilities.
For non injured, I'm hoping Cassius Marsh suddenly blossoms into a really good player. Not as much a bounce back, but rather a big step forward.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:16 am

NorthHawk wrote:If we're including players who were injured, I would add Lockett and ET as possibilities.
For non injured, I'm hoping Cassius Marsh suddenly blossoms into a really good player. Not as much a bounce back, but rather a big step forward.

These dudes need to be included. The loss of ET was so evident that Terrell is now G O N E !!!!....I think the Mc Dougall signing was a monster. That guy has started a lot of games and can play FS as well as SS.

I still think Kearse is the one Hawk that underperformed at a high level, and has the best chance to improve. RW was injured in the 1st game and that OL?.....Of course he's going to be better because it appears we are ready to run the ball again.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:31 am

I'm also going to throw Lacy in there even though he wasn't a Hawk last year.

We're going to try and run a lot and he has a lot of incentives in his contract as well as coming off an injury and low production year.

This is the season we will resemble our SB run of 2013 and Lacy is going to be a big part of it. Rawls, if he can stay healthy will provide a potent 1-2 punch and we will be the front runners in the NFC...In my worthless opinion.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:05 am

I think Rawls will be the guy folks are praising come November. Lacey is coming off of an injury, and though he is lighter and more motivated (I assume) I don't think that he will beat out Thomas the Train for the #1 spot. AND, if CJ is healthy, I would go so far as to predict our 1-2 punch is a combo of Rawls and CJ.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:32 am

I really don't see Prosise as an RB on this team. He's more dangerous as a backfield wr. The Lacy/Rawls backfield combo appears to be potent but BOTH of them are coming off injuries.

Take a look at Chris Carson, the 7th round choice. That guy is going to raise some eyebrows.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:16 pm

I've heard good things about Carson. I hope he's one of those RB sleepers that really do well at the NFL level.
But like said above, the OL is pretty important for any of the RBs to succeed.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:27 pm

The OL is going to improve large. We are going to be able to run, so opening up play action. That is Bevells wheelhouse.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Largent80 wrote:The OL is going to improve large.

I like your optimism, but for the life of me, I can't see what it is based in. In their preseason rankings released a couple of weeks ago, PFF graded out our OL as DFL:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... 017-season

I'm hoping for the best, but I'm expecting the worst.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 pm

RiverDog wrote:The OL is going to improve large.

I like your optimism, but for the life of me, I can't see what it is based in. In their preseason rankings released a couple of weeks ago, PFF graded out our OL as DFL:

I'm hoping for the best, but I'm expecting the worst.[/quote]

PFF is a dreadful site, If one can take a step back and look, WE had 4 rookies on the line, 2 of these guys will be manning their college spots after a years worth of experience.

Throw in a swiss army knife rookie in Pocic and you have a pretty decent group.

Fant is going to be better. I personally don't see the OL as being a problem like last year.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:05 pm

If you consider many NFL OL coaches don't think Offensive Linemen don't get taught how to play in college, returning to their college position shouldn't count for much. It actually might be a hindrance because they now have all the fundamentals to learn to play the pro game and what they learned last year has to be unlearned while they learn the new position. It's why they have to settle early on where they are to play and stick with it. It might work with veterans who understand the Offense, but it seems like it would be an unnecessary complication for young, inexperienced players.

That said, the overall talent looks like it's improved, but the challenge is to get them to play well together.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:35 am

Sherman.

I understand that he's an emotional guy, and that he thrives on it, but his meltdowns last season were inexcusable.
When you start putting yourself ahead of the team, it's time to check your ego at the locker room tunnel.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:43 am

Zorn76 wrote:Sherman.

I understand that he's an emotional guy, and that he thrives on it, but his meltdowns last season were inexcusable.
When you start putting yourself ahead of the team, it's time to check your ego at the locker room tunnel.

Yeah, he's made his points, he needs to focus that rage on the Rams, Niners, and Cards!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:58 am

Largent80 wrote:PFF is a dreadful site...

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but the vast majority of NFL teams would seem to disagree with your take:

You can scoff at PFF’s rankings. But as this Monday Morning Quarterback story also published Tuesday notes, PFF carries a lot of weight around the NFL with 26 teams subscribing to the site and perusing its numbers.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... ne-in-nfl/

I'm not big on stats, but PFF has perhaps the most comprehensive quantitative analysis of the NFL outside of the teams themselves. Can you think of any other site who's information is used by over 80% of NFL teams?

Largent80 wrote:Fant is going to be better.

I'm not sure about him getting better, but he damn sure can't get any worse. He graded out as the worst starting LT in the league.

With Ifedi moving out to RT, a new starting RG, and perhaps a new LT, we can't hang our hat on the line getting better due to increased familiarity and continuity. At the very least, they're going to have what has become an early season ritual for us: A learning curve that we're going to have to suffer through.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:45 am

Well... so far we have nominated just about every starter except for the D-Line as a "Bounceback" for '17. That is definitely a eye-opener from last season on just how poor we really were, compared to the SB teams. Lofty expectations again.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:58 am

Maybe the entire special teams unit can quit giving up record amounts of real estate on punt returns?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 am

Our special teams unit as a whole has slipped dramatically since we have paid our core players and we have relied on UDFA to man those spots. We have a bunch of new hungry players that we actually drafted that I believe will be helping our ST big time.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:51 am

Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:10 am

Some interesting blog posts by the author.
I still think that most of the problems stem from the OL and consequent lack of production. Becoming more physically dominant would help, but it remains to be seen if they can be so without a lot of mistakes.
Better blocking makes better run and pass games as well as it keeps the Defense off the field so they are fresh or at least keeps the opposing Offense off the field and causes them to have to throw deeper to catch up.
We can't rely on our Defense to win games by a score of 17 - 14 on a regular basis. It ends up grinding them up and susceptible to big plays, not to mention possible dysfunction on the team.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:58 am

[quote="NorthHawk"Just saw this.....http://www.hawkblogger.com/2017/07/seah ... teams.html[/quote]

Some interesting blog posts by the author.
I still think that most of the problems stem from the OL and consequent lack of production. Becoming more physically dominant would help, but it remains to be seen if they can be so without a lot of mistakes.
Better blocking makes better run and pass games as well as it keeps the Defense off the field so they are fresh or at least keeps the opposing Offense off the field and causes them to have to throw deeper to catch up.
We can't rely on our Defense to win games by a score of 17 - 14 on a regular basis. It ends up grinding them up and susceptible to big plays, not to mention possible dysfunction on the team.[/quote]

I would say you are in for a treat. Optimism aside, just looking at tangibles is good for forward thinking. The Hawks are in pretty good shape in my opinion. Young OL with nothing but improvement in sight. Special Teams addressed. D Backfield addressed. WR addressed. RB addressed

All the boxes have been X'd. Now it's all about making it happen.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:53 pm

The question re the OL is whether they have enough time to learn to play together in the roles they have been assigned this year.
I think they have upgraded the talent and definitely quality depth, but they have to learn to play as a 5 man unit regardless of that starting talent so it's imperative that they stay in one spot and learn it well before the season starts.
Cable might have other ideas and that would probably keep the OL still in flux which can cost us games early in the season.
Hopefully his experimentation with Fant, Glowinski, Britt, and Ifedi will be over and they can learn their current positions enough to be a good line by the season start.
At least the young guys won't have to learn about the speed, power, and techniques that NFL Dlinemen possess, but they still have to perfect their own games.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:45 pm

The days of O-Line continuity are over. Salaries and the cap took care of that decades ago. There is no longer longevity on an o-line unless you pay the o-line and forget about the rest of the team.

The Hawks are going to reap the benefits of small ball this year. You heard it here first. Flame me in January if I'm not correct but this O-Line will be much improved this year. But the Hawk O-Line will be much improved this year.

My hope is that Special Teams follow suit and dominate. If they do. We win another SB.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:55 pm

There's a difference between continuity of players - and a lot of teams keep most of the OL intact from year to year without breaking the bank - and continuity stemming from playing and learning a single position well enough to be starter quality in the NFL. The right side will be playing and learning a new position if Glowinski beats out Aboushi. I just hope that they figure out who's going to start early in TC so they can get that unit coordination that's required to be successful.

You're right though. These guys have a lot of potential, but I'm a lot like RD in I have to see it in action before I fully buy in.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:22 am

Largent80 wrote:The days of O-Line continuity are over. Salaries and the cap took care of that decades ago. There is no longer longevity on an o-line unless you pay the o-line and forget about the rest of the team.

The Hawks are going to reap the benefits of small ball this year. You heard it here first. Flame me in January if I'm not correct but this O-Line will be much improved this year. But the Hawk O-Line will be much improved this year.

My hope is that Special Teams follow suit and dominate. If they do. We win another SB.

I've heard that excuse time and time again. It's like the "everybody else does it, so why can't I?" excuse we've all received as parents and given as children. The fact that other teams have had their problems with the OL doesn't mean that it's acceptable for our OL to be in the type of shape that it is.

Other teams don't have the type of turnover we've had in the past 3 years. We don't have one single interior offensive lineman with more than one season as a starter at the same position, and unless things change, like Fant winning the LT spot, it's likely that the only starter from last year that remains intact will be Britt. I dare you to name a team that has had that kind of turnover.

For the past 3 seasons, we've heard same thing coming out of Renton this time of year, how Pete Carroll and Tom Cable are "really excited about this group", or some other similar drivel. I put zero weight in their propaganda meant to motivate the masses. I'm not predicting a failure, I'm simply stating that I see scant evidence that this year will be significantly different than the past two seasons.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 am

I see tons of evidence it will be better in the simple fact that experience means a lot in this league. Getting a year in the trenches is a big deal whether you want to believe that or not, but it's been proven over and over.

Improvement from this group isn't hard either with how bad they have been, I just see them making a significant improvement. Especially if our stable of backs can remain healthy. Having an efficient run game is a must in this offense, that was proven because of many factors last year and we still made the playoffs in spite of a rash of injuries to key personnel. The offense thrives on play action for most of it's passing offense to work, and if the play action game is clicking it is because we're running the ball well.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here, y'all have your ways of thinking, but remember I told ya so during the season.

With all that being said, I will add the entire O-Line as bouncebacks. Even though Britt surprised all of us with his play at center (which is another reason I see improvement for this years line).
Last edited by Largent80 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:34 am

I've heard that excuse time and time again. It's like the "everybody else does it, so why can't I?" excuse we've all received as parents and given as children. The fact that other teams have had their problems with the OL doesn't mean that it's acceptable for our OL to be in the type of shape that it is.

Other teams don't have the type of turnover we've had in the past 3 years. We don't have one single interior offensive lineman with more than one season as a starter at the same position, and unless things change, like Fant winning the LT spot, it's likely that the only starter from last year that remains intact will be Britt. I dare you to name a team that has had that kind of turnover.

For the past 3 seasons, we've heard same thing coming out of Renton this time of year, how Pete Carroll and Tom Cable are "really excited about this group", or some other similar drivel. I put zero weight in their propaganda meant to motivate the masses. I'm not predicting a failure, I'm simply stating that I see scant evidence that this year will be significantly different than the past two seasons.

That said (which I am in basic agreement with), there has been a big increase in talent the last 2 years. The quality depth looks like it's a lot better and there should be more meaningful competition along the line for starting spots.
Whether it forms into a cohesive group in time for the start of the year is the biggest question mark in my opinion.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 am

Largent80 wrote:I see tons of evidence it will be better in the simple fact that experience means a lot in this league. Getting a year in the trenches is a big deal whether you want to believe that or not, but it's been proven over and over.

Improvement from this group isn't hard either with how bad they have been, I just see them making a significant improvement. Especially if our stable of backs can remain healthy. Having an efficient run game is a must in this offense, that was proven because of many factors last year and we still made the playoffs in spite of a rash of injuries to key personnel. The offense thrives on play action for most of it's passing offense to work, and if the play action game is clicking it is because we're running the ball well.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here, y'all have your ways of thinking, but remember I told ya so during the season.

The right side of the line is learning a new position if Glowinski starts. Ifedi came from a spread Offense where he never put his hand in the dirt, so even though he played RG in a 3 point stance last year, he now has to learn how to play in space from that same stance as well as learn the specific blocking assignments required for a RT all the while learning what Glowinski or Aboushi does next to him and how they communicate. That's going to take a while and games might be lost early because of this lack of cohesiveness.
Maybe they will surprise us. I hope so.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 am

Eddie Lacy
Feez
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:43 am

Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:09 am

I hope he has a good year.
I wonder if after the missed FG in the playoff game, he lost some confidence and is still looking to find it again.
If so, the writer said something that might be worrying in that we play a high stakes game with great Defense and middling Offense so it's imperative that the Kicker is consistent.
If he hasn't found his confidence, we will be looking for someone else.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Your team will have alot of "Bouncing" players when the Rams D Line plays em like ping pong balls

Advice:

OJ is available
Rambo2014
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum