How comfortable are you with Kicker?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

How comfortable are you with Kicker?

Postby Largent80 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:37 am

I think letting Haushka go was a mistake, especially with the inconsistent Walsh being the only kicker on the team.

Haush had trouble with a few field goals and a bunch of XP's but so did a LOT of kickers. In close games, i'm officially nervous.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/299727/he ... r-concern/
Largent80
Legacy

Re: How comfortable are you with Kicker?

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:33 am

Kickers: Every team's gotta have one.

I suppose ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:23 am

Largent80 wrote:I think letting Haushka go was a mistake, especially with the inconsistent Walsh being the only kicker on the team.

Haush had trouble with a few field goals and a bunch of XP's but so did a LOT of kickers. In close games, i'm officially nervous.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/299727/he ... r-concern/

My biggest concern has been and remains the OL.
That being said, we could have won a couple of games if there wasn't a missed FG, but I wonder if the snapper/holder was part of it.
I hope Walsh becomes automatic.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:22 am

He missed the winning FG versus US in the playoffs. Granted it was -10 but it's his home field.

And yes, the deal with Gresham bit our asses hard. Just vs AZ twice. Home field advantage squandered.

I feel the Hawks have made a mistake here, and I'm not alone evidently.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:38 pm

No, you are not alone. It is on of my biggest question marks heading into the season. Walsh made the pro-bowl and was an All-Pro his Rookie year. He has some NFL Records, too. I'm not sure if it is a confidence issue that PC thinks he can fix or what, but his more recent stats are a concern for sure. And that long-snapper business was the silliest thing this regime has done, IMHO. What did we save?? a couple hundred K?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:33 pm

One of the things we are not considering is the depth of kickoffs. I always got the impression that Hauschka had good, deep kickoffs that resulted in an above average touchback rate, but I haven't researched it. He can also be credited with an absolutely perfectly executed onside kick in the NFCCG two years ago. I'm not sure how Walsh stacks up to all those attributes, but my gut instinct tells me that it's a net negative.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:02 pm

I think letting Haushka go was a mistake, especially with the inconsistent Walsh being the only kicker on the team

Letting him go was necessary, but not good. He was money on some big kicks that will be emboldened in Hawk history, but last year was a disaster. Not beating AZ cost us everything.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:22 am

Obi - I hear you on both AZ games last year. I don't know how much, if any, of his misses last year were the result of the change at long-snapper. Maybe I'm making excuses, but if feels like SH is the better of the two kickers. Walsh has had some excellent seasons, but not lately. After he shanked that 27 yarder against us in the playoffs, he couldn't even finish the season. I would just like to see some level of competition at the position, particularly after hearing Brock/Salk stress over his errant kicks in OTAs.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:53 am

People forget how bad Hauschka was last year. What did he miss or have blocked between FGs and XPs? 10?11? His FG kicks were so low they were getting blocked by guys who didn't even jump, just put up their hands. Even his XP kicks were only about halfway up the uprights or less most of the time. It helped on kickoff depth but I've never seen a kicker kicking the ball that low on XPs and FGs. I had completely lost faith in his ability by seasons end and obviously so had PC.

As for Walsh shanking the kick it was the only kick attempted into the howling -20 wind all day by either team kicking a frozen rock a few minutes after Sherm had missed the last one by a fingernail. Give our ST a little credit in that situation and a big assist to the weather. I'm cautiously optimistic and even if Walsh isn't the long term answer there's always legs around.

The SH we knew for years didn't exist last year, period.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:35 am

If there's always legs around how did we end up with Walsh?

A ton of games are decided by kicks or even faith that your kicker can actually get it done. That is a sondgarden album name, Superunknown.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:07 pm

His FG average was a little higher last year than it has been for the balance of his career. As far as FGs, he has had both marginally better and marginally worse years. Overall he is at about 87% and last year he was a little north of 89% - the timing with the misses was awful, I will have to admit...AND, he did miss 6 Extra points, 5 of which were blocked. Point taken on the low trajectory of those kicks. His 5 errors led the league in PATs blocked..

Anyhow, his FG % last year 89.2% compared (ranked 7th in the league last year) to Blair's 75% (ranked 33rd in the league)- THAT is SIGNIFICANT. PAT's last year: Steven -82.9% which sucks and Walsh was worse with 78.9%. We need some camp legs and competition. The guy who took Walsh's place in Minne was 100% after taking over, though it is a smaller sample size. Kai Forbath.

http://www.nfl.com/player/stevenhauschk ... areerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/blairwalsh/25 ... areerstats

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... fied=false

As for Walsh shanking the kick it was the only kick attempted into the howling -20 wind all day by either team kicking a frozen rock a few minutes after Sherm had missed the last one by a fingernail. Give our ST a little credit in that situation and a big assist to the weather. I'm cautiously optimistic and even if Walsh isn't the long term answer there's always legs around.

This is untrue. What was the score of that game?? 10-9. Steve made his from 46 and Blair made three (from 47, 43 and 22). It is not this miss that has me concerned. Look at his stats.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:57 pm

Sista

All I said was Walsh attempted the only kick INTO the wind all day. He got quick and planted his foot too close to the ball and had no chance to make a normal swing at the ball. In golf terminology he blocked it because he was too close to the ball. With the howling headwind it wasn't close.

Look I'm not overjoyed having Walsh either but SH had become unreliable on the critical gametime kicks. Are blocks not considered kicks? 89'%?accuracy doesn't match my memory of his productivity last year in crunch time. If wrong my apologies and I stand corrected but I stand by the teams decision to move on from him. His number was too high for a guy who had a huge hand in giving the division to Arizona and costing the Hawks the 2 seed.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:18 am

I hear ya. I just don't like it that BW is our only PK @ present and he's been sucking. Last season & in OTAs. It's an important position. Conditions sucked for everyone that frigid day in January. His Miss there bothers me not...it's the mediocrity he's shown the past few seasons that have me uneasy. :shock:
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:57 pm

And that long-snapper business was the silliest thing this regime has done, IMHO. What did we save?? a couple hundred K?

IIRC, yes. That baffled me from the start, too. I'd love to hear PC/JS explain their rationale.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:03 pm

In golf terminology he blocked it because he was too close to the ball. With the howling headwind it wasn't close.

Training Camp hasn't started yet, so let's split hairs: when you block a golf shot, it results in a push (goes right for a right-handed golfer).

I think you're right about him planting too close to the ball (although I'd say it could also have been because he planted too far *forward*), but it looks like he tried to fight the block and over-compensated on the way down (resulting in a pull-hook).

:)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:14 pm

I don't think there is any doubt that Housch is the better kicker. He's had a much better career overall than Walsh. To answer the OP, no I am not comfortable with our kicking situation. I began to lose a little confidence in Housch last year and Walsh is worse than him. The question is how much was Housch worth? Walsh' salary this year is 1.1 mil, Housch's deal is about 3 mil/yr. not a huge difference especially considering the fact that if Walsh has a good season it would cost at least 3 mil/yr to resign. Clearly the FO wasn't happy with Housch. Could end up being a huge mistake. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Obviously I hope Walsh plays well enough to earn that contract!
mykc14
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Hausckha missed Gresham. Affected his psyche big time........
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:10 am

We all missed Clint; that is for sure -p articularly Hauschka. & didn't Nolan Frees get injured? Is he our guy heading into 2017? Nobody picked up Gresham.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm sorry but it seems like the F.O. is brain farting the placekicking game.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:48 am

Largent80 wrote:I'm sorry but it seems like the F.O. is brain farting the placekicking game.

Which is odd considering how much importance Pete seems to put on Special Teams.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Hated to see Housh go, but understood why.

Walsh...we'll see. He's no lock to be the kicker this season.
And anybody kicking for us might have a short leash, given what we saw last year.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 am

Blair Walsh is going to cost us this year, that's my prediction. He is going to blow crucial kicks, and his kickoffs will be falling outside the goal line.

I'm not happy rolling with this dude.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:29 am

Houschka had 2 things going against him this year, namely last years performance and salary expectations.
Early in Walsh's career, his kickoffs were known to be deep, but he has been inconsistent the last 2 years hitting FG's.

Kickers, though are a difficult position to evaluate as they can change from year to year and sometimes just a change of scenery makes a big difference.
I hope we get the best from Walsh this year, but I'm like you in bracing for the worst.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:22 pm

This is one of those things that we have to trust the coaches on. Walsh is costing us half of what it would have taken to re-sign Hauchka, and Walsh had some phenomenal seasons earlier in his career, once tying the record of the most 50+ FG's in a season.

But like others, I'm a little antsy. But compared to our offensive line woes, our uncertainty at the place kicker position is about a 3 on the scale compared to the OL's 9 or 10.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:39 pm

RiverDog wrote:This is one of those things that we have to trust the coaches on. Walsh is costing us half of what it would have taken to re-sign Hauchka, and Walsh had some phenomenal seasons earlier in his career, once tying the record of the most 50+ FG's in a season.

But like others, I'm a little antsy. But compared to our offensive line woes, our uncertainty at the place kicker position is about a 3 on the scale compared to the OL's 9 or 10.

This is year 4 of the 5 year rule, I trust the coaches completely.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:37 pm

I am totally ok with this move. All we needed was 3 points against AZ and we would have been home, I think.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:22 pm

SH has only had one so-so season, last season. He didn't live up to the expectations we had all learn to expect from him. I think it was a combination of factors as these things usually are. One theory, and a good one, is that SH really missed Gresham. One theory is that poor blocking got in to his head, possible. My theory is that one factor was the moving back of the PAT. Maybe Steve inadvertently developed the bad habit of a low trajectory trying to compensate for the longer PATs? More likely is that SH strained himself and was playing through it. Trying to keep his job may have cost him his job. Was it a factor? Who knows? But I have to believe that if the FO thought it was fixable they would have kept him. Kickers are funny, even the best seem to just develop a dead leg seemingly over night.

But, unless I see some real improvement this season in the defense, the O-line, the running game, etc... I am not "all in" with PC and his staff.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Walsh stinks and this is going to bite us. Man, I wish we would have kept Housh
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:24 am

Me too. I fear this yet another myopic player move that make little sense.

In another area, Max Unger is starting TC for the Saints with an injured foot, PC is rumored to be trying to convince anyone who will listen that this development "proves" he was correct in trading away Unger for Jimmy G....

Oh, and this just in, Pete says that if the O-Line isn't better this season that it isn't HIS "fault".
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:14 am

• Blair watch. I wrote last month and repeated on 710 ESPN Seattle last week that kicker is the Seahawks’ biggest roster concern, in my view. That was my belief after watching Blair Walsh struggle with his accuracy during organized team activities and minicamp. Walsh missed wide on two of the four kicks he attempted in the team portion of practice on Sunday (I couldn’t tell the exact distances but the kicks appeared to be between 30 and 45 yards). As previously mentioned, context is key here. It’s one thing for a kicker with a consistent track record to miss a few kicks in practice. But when it’s a trend, and when it involves a kicker with a shaky history like Walsh, then it’s more troubling.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/317622/no ... ning-camp/

Jeezus, this guy is going to lose us games.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Largent80 wrote:• Blair watch. I wrote last month and repeated on 710 ESPN Seattle last week that kicker is the Seahawks’ biggest roster concern, in my view. That was my belief after watching Blair Walsh struggle with his accuracy during organized team activities and minicamp. Walsh missed wide on two of the four kicks he attempted in the team portion of practice on Sunday (I couldn’t tell the exact distances but the kicks appeared to be between 30 and 45 yards). As previously mentioned, context is key here. It’s one thing for a kicker with a consistent track record to miss a few kicks in practice. But when it’s a trend, and when it involves a kicker with a shaky history like Walsh, then it’s more troubling.

It's only practice but early reports from camp are that he is making a good impression. Hopefully that continues to the actual games.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Well I guess a lot of our fears where confirmed today unfortunately. Is there any FA Kickers out there that we could bring in?
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Yep. You could say Walsh cost us a game.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:04 pm

Largent80 wrote:• Blair watch. I wrote last month and repeated on 710 ESPN Seattle last week that kicker is the Seahawks’ biggest roster concern, in my view. That was my belief after watching Blair Walsh struggle with his accuracy during organized team activities and minicamp. Walsh missed wide on two of the four kicks he attempted in the team portion of practice on Sunday (I couldn’t tell the exact distances but the kicks appeared to be between 30 and 45 yards). As previously mentioned, context is key here. It’s one thing for a kicker with a consistent track record to miss a few kicks in practice. But when it’s a trend, and when it involves a kicker with a shaky history like Walsh, then it’s more troubling.

I posted this in July. Sorry I was right
Largent80
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:12 pm

It was more than just Walsh that cost us this game. There's plenty of blame to go around.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:27 pm

idhawkman wrote:It was more than just Walsh that cost us this game. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Yessiree, there was, including but not limited to Russell, penalties, and our "prevent" defense.

But those missed kicks were huge. We dominated that first half, and ended up going in behind. My expectation was that Walsh make the 39 yarder and 1 out of 2 of the others (in the 50 yard region).
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:04 pm

Pretty sure I've seen Haushka miss three in a game, Arizona ring a bell? How about the offense tries to score a TD for a change, not in the final 10 minutes of the game? Just to change things up.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:41 am

Steve Hauska had ONE bad year and it was probably out of his control because a PK is part of a unit of 3, LS, PH, and PK and if all # don't work in in unison you get a season like SH had last year. But to jettison SH after one bad season was BEYOND petty and stupid.

Then, JS along PC decided to bring a PK that had REAL problems and now we as fans have to bear the brunt of watching Walsh cost us a very winnable game.

What did I tell you about Sea. Vs. Wash.?? It is now 3 in a row wear the Redskins have brought a mediocre team only to find an even more mediocre team waiting for them.

Pete Carroll and ONLY Pete Carroll is ultimately responsible to have this team PREPARED and ready to go. Pete FAILED.

I TOLD ALL OF YOU THAT PETE AND JOHN WERE TURNING THIS TEAM MEDIOCDRE AND ALL I GOT WAS SCORN.

Welcome to mediocrity, for those of you who seem to have forgot Mike Holgren's Seahawks momentous slide from Super Bowl contender to laughing stock. Go ahead, deny it all you want, but THIS IS what the slide to mediocrity looks like.

Too bad Yoder can't go back to the P-I archive because if the archive were available we could bring up posts where the majority of the people in THAT forum belittled Holmy relentlessly, and not for good reason because he had apparently :checked out:".

Pete hasn't checked out, but his refusal to make the changes on his staff that desperately need to be made flies in the face of his "always compete" mantra. In FACT, it makes it one sick joke.

You can go ahead and defend this mediocre regime but I have my limits and it has been stretched a bit. Ever since they brought in Walsh I could have predicted that the day would come where Walsh would cost us a game and that day arrived yesterday. But, hey, if you want to revel go right ahead. My handle is Seahawks 4 Ever not Pete Carroll forever...
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:58 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Pretty sure I've seen Haushka miss three in a game, Arizona ring a bell? How about the offense tries to score a TD for a change, not in the final 10 minutes of the game? Just to change things up.

If you're talking about the tie game down there last year, you have a short memory. In the 6-6 tie last season in Glendale, Haushka made two field goals, from 40 and 57 yards, then missed the chip shot in OT. I don't remember him missing 3 in a row.

But I get your point. Anyone that tries to blame the kicker for losing this game without highlighting in bold the poor play of our quarterback, the defense allowing the Skins to go 70 yards in 4 plays when a FG did them no good, or the 16 penalties we piled up is living in denial.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:12 am

Anyone that tries to blame the kicker for losing this game without highlighting in bold the poor play of our quarterback, the defense allowing the Skins to go 70 yards in 4 plays when a FG did them no good, or the 16 penalties we piled up is living in denial.

Yup. The entire team stunk it up at one point or another. Absolutely *ridiculous* with the amount of talent we have (or thought we had?) and considering who we were facing.
burrrton
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum