McDowell in ATV accident

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

McDowell in ATV accident

Postby mykc14 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Our first pick in the draft this year, Malik McDowell was involved in an ATV accident a few weeks ago and has not reported to training camp. He's back in Michigan recovering from his injuries which include a concussion and facial injuries. Seems like it could be a big deal as Pete Carroll didn't rule out that he could be out for the season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2020 ... l-accident
mykc14
Legacy

Re: McDowell in ATV accident

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Sheesh. Not a good way to start training camp.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:50 pm

He could be out months, probably his whole rookie season is gone. Wow, yet another blown #1 draft pick. I know John and Pete couldn't possibly have seen this happening, how can they c9ntinue to whiff on first round draft picks??? Maybe Schneider has a first round jinx? I don't know what it is but what ever it is it needs to go. This is indeed a very bad OMEN.

In the mean time Super Bowl Champion N.E. Patriots get even stronger as John and Pete continue to pinch pennies and make draft day reaches hoping for the answer to their "prayers".

Well, lets hope they do add the depth this team so obviously needs.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:08 pm

8-8
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:33 pm

So this happened a couple weeks ago and we are just now hearing of it?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:42 pm

Largent80 wrote:So this happened a couple weeks ago and we are just now hearing of it?

Sure, first day since it happened that they had no choice but to address the media and explain their first draft pick's absence. Up until now they are under no obligation to to tell anyone anything and could reasonably say they were still gathering facts.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:31 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:He could be out months, probably his whole rookie season is gone. Wow, yet another blown #1 draft pick. I know John and Pete couldn't possibly have seen this happening, how can they c9ntinue to whiff on first round draft picks??? Maybe Schneider has a first round jinx? I don't know what it is but what ever it is it needs to go. This is indeed a very bad OMEN.

In the mean time Super Bowl Champion N.E. Patriots get even stronger as John and Pete continue to pinch pennies and make draft day reaches hoping for the answer to their "prayers".

Well, lets hope they do add the depth this team so obviously needs.

He wasn't a first rounder...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:36 am

close enough to fall under the "Scheid Jinx". First rounder first draft pick semantics, it only counts when it comes time to sign that first contract. Schneid is jinxed I tell you, he is JINXED!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:36 am

close enough to fall under the "Scheid Jinx". First rounder first draft pick semantics, it only counts when it comes time to sign that first contract. Schneid is jinxed I tell you, he is JINXED!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:03 am

I was thinking all July and looking every day to make sure no Hawk was involved in law breaking activity or anything else, and this happens. Really?.....Dude is entering his rookie season and does a face plant in mother earth while riding a dumb assed ATV? Broken orbital bone in his face. Kiss 2017 goodbye, Hey dude, give Johnny Knoxville a call.

Seems he has a 2 cent brain.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:14 am

Next man up.
Dumb move by the rook.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:23 pm

I can't blame McDowell too much. Having once being a young whipper snapper myself, I can identify with the risk taking tendencies of men that age. You can't expect them to live their lives in a bubble.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:30 pm

RiverDog wrote:I can't blame McDowell too much. Having once being a young whipper snapper myself, I can identify with the risk taking tendencies of men that age. You can't expect them to live their lives in a bubble.

Me too, but I didn't have a multi million dollar career ahead of me.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:40 pm

Largent80 wrote:Me too, but I didn't have a multi million dollar career ahead of me.

But that's not how young adults think. They don't think that an accident could happen to them, so the fact that they have a multi million dollar career ahead of them is irrelevant.

Remember when Ben Worthlessburger got into a motorcycle accident and missed part of a season?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:38 pm

Worthlessburger??? He's got more rings than our guy Riv!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:18 pm

I had a motorcycle in my 20's/30's & went on an ATV ride, albeit a guided one, last week. I still have the need for speed and I'm a 51 year old woman (lady, actually ;-)). I understand why he'd want to do it and until I know what "it" actually was, I will reserve judgement. Was he on a four-wheeler or something crazier? Where they drunk or high, or being adventurous? There are certain details absent the story that make it tough to judge if it was kinda stupid or really stupid. While I know the organization pays a lot of $ to the guy, I don't know if his actions were a breach of his contract. At present (reiterating that I don't know all the details), I see it as no different than Jimmy and his piloting a plane to work with eryday, sometimes upside down. I both love (the dedication to pursue, study for and get his pilot's license - a dream come true for a kid w/ a rough past) and hate (oh dear...what if??) that Jimmy flies all at once.

I think people (some) are jumping to conclusions about this story because: A. His decision-making re: football has been questioned in the past (which moved him into the 2nd round) and I think people just assume this is evidence that this drop was justified.... & B. There were players we all coveted who were available even after multiple trade-downs. So, the mere possibility of him missing a season make folks wonder what if. What if we'd have drafted Ramcsheck, Robinson, King, Baker, Melinfonwu, Awuzi, Wormly, Garrett Bolles or ______ you fill in the blank. Would they have made an impact during this critical year.

I get the questions... I'll wait for the details (which me never get) to decide if I'm pissed off or not. ;) :roll:
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:46 am

obiken wrote:Worthlessburger??? He's got more rings than our guy Riv!

The handle was derived by someone (not sure who) when Worthlessburger was being accused of sexual harassment once every couple of weeks.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:19 am

obiken wrote:Worthlessburger??? He's got more rings than our guy Riv!

Yeah and ray Murder was a good football player too, but to me their both worthless.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:56 am

I read someplace that he may have a broken orbital bone.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:28 am

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... mp-tuesday

While the linked report states he will "be in camp today" they still don't know if he can play this year. I'm not at all sure what this means...I s'pose we are about to find out. The only place I read that he had broken facial bones was in here; anyone have a link??
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:25 am

Hawk Sista wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000823673/article/malik-mcdowell-to-report-to-seahawks-camp-tuesday

While the linked report states he will "be in camp today" they still don't know if he can play this year. I'm not at all sure what this means...I s'pose we are about to find out. The only place I read that he had broken facial bones was in here; anyone have a link??

All I heard was facial injuries and a concussion.
It might be the concussion isn't passing quickly or it was severe and might take a lot of time for the symptoms to subside, but I'm just guessing.
It's a tough place to be in considering he will be butting heads on every play.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:28 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Yeah and ray Murder was a good football player too, but to me their both worthless.

10-4.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:09 am

[quote="c_hawkbob"]Yeah and ray Murder was a good football player too, but to me their both worthless.[quote]

Wow, so you think RL was guilty CBob??
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:37 am

obiken wrote:Wow, so you think RL was guilty CBob??

Good lord you don't? He copped a plea and agreed to testify against his two accomplices to keep himself out of prison man! He's still (as far as I know) the only person to have received any sort of punishment for that murder ... they absolutely swept that one under the rug so the superstar could play football again.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:03 am

I cannot remember the facts of the case as it was so very long ago, but I do remember enough to know I was sure that he did it. A bloody white suit, a motive, etc... at the very least, he was a part of it. Takes me back to his last game in the NFL. I hated rooting for the Ravens as I did not want to see that murdering POS go out with a trophy. However, they were playing Jim Harbaugh's 49ers, so I had no recourse but to root against the niners. I felt kinda dirty doing it... but what is a girl to do?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 am

There was never any testimony that Lewis actually stabbed anyone, but Lewis's behavior before the trial was reprehensible and it's a travesty that he got off Scot free. He lied to the authorities and tried to coerce the others not to cooperate with the investigation. He was acting like the cat that ate the canary, then turned around and threw his other two friends under the bus.

The trial of RL's two accomplices resulted in an acquittal because the jury believed that the stabbings were done in self defense. I do not necessarily believe that RL was guilty of murder, but he damn sure was at least partly responsible in the deaths of two human beings, and yes, it was swept under the carpet BIG TIME.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:24 am

Good lord you don't? He copped a plea and agreed to testify against his two accomplices to keep himself out of prison man! He's still (as far as I know) the only person to have received any sort of punishment for that murder ... they absolutely swept that one under the rug so the superstar could play football again

OK but they let off Blades and the evidence worse on him.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:38 am

Ray Lewis was a gangster at that time much as Aaron Hernandez, running with the wrong crowd obviously. But as I recall he turned states evidence and testified for the prosecution against his buddies who did the actual stabbing and in fact they were acquitted based on a self defense argument. There were bullet holes in the stretch limo Lewis was riding in. It was a 2 way street fight to the death.
But if the guys proven to have done the stabbing were found not guilty its kind of unfair to brand Lewis as a murderer IMO.

Whatever else can be said Lewis made the most of his second chance, truly turned it around and in my opinion he is the most fearsome linebacker I've ever seen play. A certain HOF er
It always grated me he wasn't more humble and he drives me Fn nuts as a broadcaster and commentator.

But I give the man his due.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:41 am

Don't you love this forum LMAO? A thread about an ATV accident winds up about Ray Lewis in 20 posts. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 am

obiken wrote:OK but they let off Blades and the evidence worse on him.

So you wouldn't have had a problem with my feeling Ray Murder was worthless to me if I'd included Blades? How about Kobe and OJ and so on? ... Do I have to make every statement of opinion all inclusive?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:00 am

Here's the latest I could find for McDowell injury situation. It's from PFT.

“He’s doing all kinds of appointments and stuff to make sure that we know exactly what’s going on,” Carroll said. “They (the doctors) did a lot of stuff yesterday. I really don’t have much to report for you but it’s going to take a while to figure it out.”
When asked if McDowell would be ready for the regular season, or if he would be able to play at all this year, Carroll said he didn’t know.

“It’s very disappointing and there’s nothing we can do about it right now but just take the time to assess and just figure out what this all means,” Carroll said.

McDowell sustained at least a concussion and facial lacerations in the accident, per a source. In a statement posted to Twitter on Sunday, McDowell insisted his injuries were not life- or career-threatening and promised “you will see me back on the field in the near future.”

It's beginning to sound like lingering concussion symptoms which isn't good for a DL who knocks heads every play.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... y-absence/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:22 am

He reported to camp yesterday, but the Hawks aren't saying much about his injuries but what they are saying isn't good. Here's what Pete said:

Do you expect him to be ready for the start of the season next month? “I don’t know,” Carroll said. “I don’t know that.”

Is there still a chance McDowell can play this season? “I don’t know that. I really don’t. And I’m not taking any sides. I don’t know. I don’t know what the deal is yet.”

But either way, it’s a long-term thing? “Yes,” Carroll said. “Yes.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 73892.html

Since Pete is about as optimistic of a person as they come, I'd say that's a pretty gloomy assessment.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:33 am

RiverDog wrote:He reported to camp yesterday, but the Hawks aren't saying much about his injuries but what they are saying isn't good. Here's what Pete said:

Do you expect him to be ready for the start of the season next month? “I don’t know,” Carroll said. “I don’t know that.”

Is there still a chance McDowell can play this season? “I don’t know that. I really don’t. And I’m not taking any sides. I don’t know. I don’t know what the deal is yet.”

But either way, it’s a long-term thing? “Yes,” Carroll said. “Yes.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 73892.html

Since Pete is about as optimistic of a person as they come, I'd say that's a pretty gloomy assessment.

Concussion symptoms can last for years and end careers. It is often followed by concussion symptoms from lesser contact if a player returns to action.
I'm just guessing it's a concussion, but it sure sounds like it is.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:02 am

I wonder if he was wearing a helmet. I'm a motorcycle rider and would NEVER get on my bike without it. I live in Tex-ASS where people don't have to wear them, but I think it's foolish. Plus they can't guarantee you won't get a concussion, but that's better than a fractured skull.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:15 am

Largent80 wrote:I wonder if he was wearing a helmet. I'm a motorcycle rider and would NEVER get on my bike without it. I live in Tex-ASS where people don't have to wear them, but I think it's foolish. Plus they can't guarantee you won't get a concussion, but that's better than a fractured skull.

I suppose it depends on where the contact was. If it was face first, a helmet might not make as much difference as if it was the back of the head depending on the helmet type, but that question crossed my mind, too.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:31 pm

I wear a full face helmet, always have even when I rode dirt bikes.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:21 am

So you wouldn't have had a problem with my feeling Ray Murder was worthless to me if I'd included Blades? How about Kobe and OJ and so on? ... Do I have to make every statement of opinion all inclusive?

Why do you gotta be so mean to me! Ray is a model citizen, and has changed the lives of thousands. I like him. OJ killed his wife and Goldman and Mark Furhman was a racist. 2 truths operating in the same universe. Kobe, I think she got scared of his tool, and cried rape.
obiken
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:48 am

Old but Slow wrote:Obi, you amaze me. Beyond the pale, so keep it up. If you can…..

So wadda trying to say Obs??? :)
obiken
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Do you know what I see, I see him coming back mid season and bringing a shot in the arm for the DL.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:08 pm

politicalfootball wrote:Do you know what I see, I see him coming back mid season and bringing a shot in the arm for the DL.

I am glad you feel that way guy, but a cracked skull? your a Legacy member PF, you remember it took Kenny Hamlin Months to get back, and he was never the same. He's a kid, its negligence, not manslaughter. I feel for him he was the best prospect we had, IMHO.
obiken
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum