Kenny

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Kenny

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:32 am

I think we had several threads on Easley, but you're right, it's odd that no one's started one now that he's wearing a gold jacket.

Kenny Easley is the only defensive player that I know of that quarterbacks would check to see where he was lining up as soon as the huddle broke. Hearing that said by quarterbacks reminded me of Jimmy Brown once saying something similar about Sam Huff. I know of no other safety either before or after Easley, including players like Ronnie Lott, Larry Wilson, and Troy Polomalu, that teams would game plan against. He was the best safety and one of the best defensive players in his era, and the only reason why it took this long for him to get in was due to his longevity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:08 am

Congrats to a top 5 all time Hawk and maybe a top 5 safety in history in his abbreviated career.
The thing is the guy hit people so hard he would have had a field full of laundry in todays league. Kam is the only other Seahawk I've seen that hits like that.

Ill never forget my first ever Seahawks game live in the Kingdome in the mid 80's. It was vs. the chiefs and my first wife and I were right behind the Hawks bench. At one point in the game a receiver came over the middle. He saw Kenny coming and got T rex arms but Easley lit him up anyway and laid him out. I could hear the pop over the crowd noise from the stands. In the same game Boz hit Todd Blackledge so hard on a blitz he knocked his helmet off and left him dazed on the carpet with a nosebleed. Boz gets a lot of heat for flaming out so soon but when healthy he was spectacular.

Those were some gnarly defensive teams in the 80's, the best the Hawks ever had till Pete Carroll came along
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:00 am

Was the ceremony on TV last night?
I didn't know it was on (if it was) to watch it.

It's been far too long for him to get his jacket. He should have been in before Lott, but Lott had the advantage of being on Super Bowl teams.
That he lobbied for Easley to get in says a lot about how much of an impact on other players Easley had during his career and how much his peers respected him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:06 am

Something must have gotten in my eye when Kenny's son slipped that gold jacket on him. What a moment. I've told the story too many times to recount it, but #45 is why I'm a 12 today. This is as it should have been years ago; so glad he is in!

CONGRATS, KENNY!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:13 am

NorthHawk wrote:Was the ceremony on TV last night?
I didn't know it was on (if it was) to watch it.

It's been far too long for him to get his jacket. He should have been in before Lott, but Lott had the advantage of being on Super Bowl teams.
That he lobbied for Easley to get in says a lot about how much of an impact on other players Easley had during his career and how much his peers respected him.

The enshirimenent ceremony is tonight; they got their jackets last night which I watched on .com this morning. His official induction/speech is this evening if I'm not mistaken.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:33 am

Ah. Thanks, Sis.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:50 pm

LOL! Kenny was a bit long winded ... so much so they wound up having to shut off his teleprompter on him!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:32 pm

Such an incredible speech! I love the shout out to Caroll, the 12s and even mama blue! Amazing competitor
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:21 pm

This guy on the radio asked John Clayton how soon he knew that Easley would be one of the Greats and he replied "as soon as he stepped on the field the first time". Yep, that is So true. We had a a lot of talent on Defense, so much so it is a testament that it took the current group ( and LOB) to finally surpass the group of the 80's, but Kenny brought it all together and turned it into a top unit. He was one of those players who made the other players around him even better and I think that is the very definition of an MVP. Easley could have and probably been league MVP at least once but he was first in Defense anyhow and we all knew how great he was. With Largent on Offense and Easley on Defense no game seemed out of reach, especially at home. Was the dome louder than the CLINK? You HAD to have been there, but, YEAH! Just ask another HOF Kenny who literally blew the top off of the dome, but that is another story about another legend named Kenny!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:08 am

Pro scouts, all said Ken could have played Pro Football at 18. He covered like a wet blanket and hit like he was shot out of a gun! I am so Happy he made it, I never thought he would.
obiken
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum