Clark vs Ifedi

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Clark vs Ifedi

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:29 am

Im conflicted about how I feel about this incident. For one thing Im surprised it doesn't have its own thread already.
Clark obviously came with some baggage and controversy to begin with but seemingly had been a model citizen and productive player since joining the Hawks so this came out of the blue.

It was 2 big men going at it, Ifedi initiating it by hitting after the whistle, Clark, giving up probably 50 lbs. at least reflexively swung a haymaker and when these guys who can bench 400+ swing and connect you're going down.
Obviously you don't want your likely starting right tackle injured but the incident shows me a surliness with these 2 players and seemingly the team in general which bodes well for 2017 IMO.

I recall Steve Smith, certain HOF receiver breaking someone's jaw, a RB I believe and I remember a DB, David Joseph? getting his jaw broken years ago but cant remember who threw the punch but its hardly unprecedented and doesn't speak to Clarks character at all.
We were just lucky the injury wasn't more serious.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: Clark vs Ifedi

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:55 am

How serious is Ifedi's injury? It's obviously more than a fat lip as he stood on the sidelines all practice.

Clark's lack of self control, and lack of respect for his teammates is problematic.
All other teams will be trying to goad Clark into doing something stupid knowing he has a short fuse which could get him tossed and maybe cost us a game if it comes at a bad time.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:23 am

I have not seen the incident, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. I have two big concerns: 1. Clark had a rep for violence before coming (something we debated in here at length). While the circumstances are wildly different, a sucker punch to the face of a teammate is just effin bad. Not to mention the BS way he went about it (he wasn't the player Ifedi was tangled w/ in the first place)and the lack of self control, he could have ended Ifedi's season w/that sucker punch. What an ass!!

2. Why is Ifedi ALWAYS in every camp fracas? Not to blame the sucker punchee more than the puncher, but ferchristssakes already....what is his deal, man?

Even people like Dave Wyman said he's never seen anything like it.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:31 am

Apparently Ifedi didn't have his hat on, and if he did, Clarks fist would have hit the face mask, so he's kind of stupid to get into a fracas without protection.
It doesn't absolve Clark, but it wouldn't have as bad optics if he had but maybe it could have been worse if it broke Clark's hand and put him out for an extended period.

Still no word that I can find about how bad Ifedi's injury is.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:36 am

NorthHawk wrote:How serious is Ifedi's injury? It's obviously more than a fat lip as he stood on the sidelines all practice.

Clark's lack of self control, and lack of respect for his teammates is problematic.
All other teams will be trying to goad Clark into doing something stupid knowing he has a short fuse which could get him tossed and maybe cost us a game if it comes at a bad time.

As always, North Hawk makes a couple of good observations. Like you said, there's two problems: Clark's lack of character/respect for teammates, and exhibiting an Achilles heal that will no doubt be a topic of discussion by opposition position coaches prior to their playing us.

This isn't the first time that Ifedi has mixed it up during practice, either, and as my mother used to say, it takes two to have a fight, so we can't let him off the hook, either. These guys aren't fighting for a spot on the roster. They are veterans that have already cemented their status with the coaches and are both a big part of our plans.

The third part of this equation is Pete and the coaching staff. I understand the "Always Compete" buzz word that Pete likes to throw around, but as the immortal orator Allen Iverson once said: "We're talking about practice".
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:37 pm

“Our players are trying to draw the best they can out of the guy across from them. They know, in practice, they have to bring their best. Each guy is practicing at his best, and in turn, he’s drawing the best out of the guy across from him. They all know that. We encourage the challenge mentality—getting the best out of each other. However, we also talk at great length about the responsibility that they have to be poised so they don’t go too far, and that they don’t disrespect anyone. If it goes beyond too far, then we’re all over it. But we’re going to that edge, all the time.”
-- Pete, the day before the fracas.

When we, as a team philosophy, intentionally "go to that edge, all the time", we can't get too upset when the line occasionally gets crossed.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:10 am

That's were self control and respect for team mates comes into play.
The players have to understand the bigger picture that it's not just about them as individuals but the coaches also have to keep the tone down when things begin to escalate.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:46 am

NorthHawk wrote:That's were self control and respect for team mates comes into play.
The players have to understand the bigger picture that it's not just about them as individuals but the coaches also have to keep the tone down when things begin to escalate.

Agree 100%.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Iverson would have lasted all of 15 minutes in the NFL and only about 5 on any squad coached by Pete Carroll. With PC, love 'em or hate 'em you can at least agree he puts a lot of emphasis in how much effort his players put in to practice and a loafer like A.L. could not have hung.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Question. Is this a continuation of a pattern for Clark or an isolated incident? I haven't heard about anything like this in his pro career and don't remember seeing him getting in scuffles or getting a lot of laundry in games.
Am I wrong? Enlighten me if I am.

As for his pre draft incident with the woman once I heard he had forcibly removed a woman from his immediate vicinity because she was biting him on the nose I saw it differently than say a Greg Hardy beating a woman senseless and then throwing her on a bed full of assault rifles.It isn't Joe Mixon with a history of beating women or Josh Brown who is a flipping kicker.

I dont think its really relevant to what happened in practice either way.Vontage Burfect went after a teammate's knees the other day...

And if in fact Ifedi is always chipping on guys after the whistle maybe there are some defensive players who are kind of happy someone put a stop to it. I haven't heard much condemnation from teammates.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Hawktawk wrote:Question. Is this a continuation of a pattern for Clark or an isolated incident? I haven't heard about anything like this in his pro career and don't remember seeing him getting in scuffles or getting a lot of laundry in games.
Am I wrong? Enlighten me if I am.

As for his pre draft incident with the woman once I heard he had forcibly removed a woman from his immediate vicinity because she was biting him on the nose I saw it differently than say a Greg Hardy beating a woman senseless and then throwing her on a bed full of assault rifles.It isn't Joe Mixon with a history of beating women or Josh Brown who is a flipping kicker.

I dont think its really relevant to what happened in practice either way.Vontage Burfect went after a teammate's knees the other day...

And if in fact Ifedi is always chipping on guys after the whistle maybe there are some defensive players who are kind of happy someone put a stop to it. I haven't heard much condemnation from teammates.

I haven't heard anything negative about Clark's attitude, but like you, I've heard that Ifedi isn't adverse to mixing it up during practices.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:08 am

What this has done is caused BOTH players to not practice since it happened.

Bad news for getting any early O-Line continuity, and even D-Line continuity with McCrash out.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/320130/fr ... -seahawks/
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:44 am

Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:12 am

Largent80 wrote:What this has done is caused BOTH players to not practice since it happened.

Bad news for getting any early O-Line continuity, and even D-Line continuity with McCrash out.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/320130/fr ... -seahawks/

It's not clear whether or not one or both of the players are sidelined due to injury or as part of disciplinary action handed down by the coaching staff. I wouldn't get too concerned about them missing a few practices. They're still mixing and matching on the OL as the article said that Joeckel has been playing more guard but Cable said not to interpret that as an indication as to where he's going to play, so there's not a lot of continuity building going on right now anyway.

But you're right, it's not a good way to start out training camp.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:26 am

Continuity is just one facet. With Ifedi moving to RT (supposedly) he's getting zero reps there for how many practices now?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:52 am

He's missed 4 practices so far.
It has to be an injury as the point has been made about fighting.
Not good for the OL for the start of the season.
Teams have enough problems staying healthy without shooting themselves in the foot, and we've lost 3 so far because of stupidity.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:40 am

Perhaps Clark cannot play until ifedi can go? Whatever, it's damned disappointing!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:53 am

Our FIRST pre-season game is one week from yesterday (Sunday) and we have this, as a fan it's pretty damned frustrating.

I sure wish we would have taken Baker instead of McCrash too..... :x
Largent80
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:42 am

FIVE missed practices and counting... for both of them. Holding Clark out to punish him until Ifedi returns seems like of self-defeating, if true.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:46 am

Clark was wearing a knee brace the next day of practice. Maybe he got an injury during the fracas and we've lost 2 starters because of it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 am

Maybe his bruised ego is in his knee. In the words of Bugs Bunny..."What an ULTRA maroon".
Largent80
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum