Good Article About Offensive Line

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Good Article About Offensive Line

Postby Largent80 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:08 am

Whatever happened to just line up and block the guy in front of you?

The NFL coaches have made the modern game unplayable at the OL position because of a few things...college level offenses and how they block makes for mediocre at best draft choices. 2, bringing in these choices and throw a complicated system at them and expect them to perform at a high level. And, after they finally "get it", they can't pay them.

You end up with a constant rotation of players with Z E R O continuity (which, by the way) is completely required.

This team will never have a decent O-Line. And 2 weeks ago I was arguing FOR them, but good gawd, Ifedi is a huge disappointment. So is Glowinski.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 am

Largent80 wrote:I'm sorry but throwing blind sucker punches isn't confronting the person pissing you off. It's a cowards way of getting the upper hand.

I like Clark the player, but as a human, and team mate, not so much.

That may be true, but it still doesn't address the root cause. Reports are that Ifedi continued contact after the whistle, something he's been known to do in the past. Clark's response is entirely unacceptable, but Ifedi isn't as pure as the wind driven snow, either.

If Pete is holding out Clark until Ifedi can return, then although I agree that it hurts the team more than the player in the short run, it will make the team better in the long run. If that's what we're seeing, then I'm good with it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:42 am

Ifedi can have his "nasty attitude" and suck it because there is a thing called blocking, which he is hired to do, I'm rooting for Pocic

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/321260/et ... ick-study/
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:23 am

Largent80 wrote:Ifedi can have his "nasty attitude" and suck it because there is a thing called blocking, which he is hired to do, I'm rooting for Pocic

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/321260/et ... ick-study/

I just want the 5 players that play the best as a group and I don't care who they are, but they have to be given a chance to learn and develop at one position.
Otherwise we will be rebuilding the OL every year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:01 am

NorthHawk wrote:It's interesting (and frustrating for some of us) that Pete gets guys for the DL and puts them in positions to learn and excel then keeps them there but on the OL which takes much more coordination amongst the group he allows players to never really learn a position fully before giving up on them. Carpenter had enough time to show he wasn't a Tackle, but just as he was coming into his own as a Guard, they didn't match the offer, Britt had one year at Tackle, another at Guard, and finally settled at Center where it looks like they might let him go as it's the last year of his contract an apparently no talks. Now we see Ifedi playing 1 year at Guard, then moved to Tackle and if the impressions of the author are correct, given up on.
It's said we run a complex blocking scheme - a hybrid ZBS and we had rookies learning 2 positions in TC last year. It's madness to think they can be competent at both position in just 1 or 2 years.
If they are going to do the shuffle thing on the OL, make the blocking schemes as basic as possible. That way you can really see who is best suited for what position and who can make it in the NFL and let them develop.
The other option short of only drafting OL that are nuclear physics majors is to sign FA Offensive Linemen who you know can play at this level.

Switching to a basic OL though means we need to change our entire offensive strategy, that would require getting a different QB, and WR with different attributes....It'd be a complete rebuild. If our running game can be competent this year we should be ok. We've had a bottom 3 OL for years, and still have been good overall. I can't deny that I wish we could get some blocking for Wilson, and it's a big injury risk to him when we can't do it, but our scheme is what it is at this point.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:12 am

I believe Wilson can play in a "traditional Offense" which includes throwing from the pocket and doesn't restrict plays where he rolls out or uses option plays.
A hybrid ZBS isn't the only blocking scheme that can take advantage of his qualities.
The run game is paramount for our Offensive philosophy, so better blocking is needed to take the pressure off of the pass game. And that can be
accomplished with a less complex scheme without changing the Offensive philosophy.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:11 am

On Joeckel, Carroll said, “He’s ready. He has had a fantastic offseason for us. He was able to do a lot more than we thought he would during OTAs by the tempos we adjusted in practice, and he came in raring to go.”
Joeckel has been competing for a starting job at left tackle or left guard, with George Fant and Rees Odhiambo also factoring into the mix at tackle and guard, respectively. Carroll noted that the combination of Fant at tackle and Joeckel at guard has looked especially good thus far.
“He’s really determined to capture one of these spots,” Carroll said. “Honestly, he looks very good playing next to George at left guard there. He has done fine at left tackle. Those two guys are starting to build a little chemistry, which we think will really help George progress. Luke is a really bright player, communicates beautifully, and really has brought a sense of experience to us that we were looking for.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/08/11 ... son-opener
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:09 am

Largent80 wrote:On Joeckel, Carroll said, “He’s ready. He has had a fantastic offseason for us. He was able to do a lot more than we thought he would during OTAs by the tempos we adjusted in practice, and he came in raring to go.”
Joeckel has been competing for a starting job at left tackle or left guard, with George Fant and Rees Odhiambo also factoring into the mix at tackle and guard, respectively. Carroll noted that the combination of Fant at tackle and Joeckel at guard has looked especially good thus far.
“He’s really determined to capture one of these spots,” Carroll said. “Honestly, he looks very good playing next to George at left guard there. He has done fine at left tackle. Those two guys are starting to build a little chemistry, which we think will really help George progress. Luke is a really bright player, communicates beautifully, and really has brought a sense of experience to us that we were looking for.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/08/11 ... son-opener

Having an experienced player beside a rookiereally helps in both confidence and learning. It's what most of the line missed last year and I can't believe they cut a multiple time pro bowl Guard in Evans. I couldn't understand it at the time
and they later said it was a bad move, but what were they thinking? Ifedi would probably be a far better player now after playing RT alongside Evans than he will be this year with no experience - if he even starts.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum